Magazine adverts 1969-2009

jyQcVh4.png

4qbszkH.png

sb588P6.png

o75nwJM.png

9tAH0TI.png

The last one is a cover and the Japanese one probably is an article, not adverts...

Last edited:
@wendijane

I know you'll have the actual copy of Smash Hits, wend, but I was so excited coming across it on the board, I had to bump it. D'you see his answer to the question re songwriters - are there any as good as The Beatles? Cool. :D

Plus, his comments about his phone friendship with Adam. ❤️

Last edited:
Ah zinnia , He agrees haha Holland Dozier Holland! haha yeah this magazine interview is a brilliant one . Its so lovely that he and Adam were friends, the fact he spoke of Ant Music is great, cos you know we love that one ! I can imagine them two on the phone , adam seems easy to talk to , as we know Michael was so must have been good , honest conversation.
thank you for bumping this .
i'm going to say this is maybe the best interview he has conducted, because there is a decent interviewer , mark Ellen -which actually asked respectful, proper non intrusive questions it's a fun interview too and they use very nice at home pictures which show M naturally and happy. It is a glossy layout . i remember the 1990 one from smash hits, hes in his studio .

Ah zinnia , He agrees haha Holland Dozier Holland!
Ngl, I was so stoked by that. We know he rated The Beatles really highly, of course he did, but let's not pretend that there are *no* other songwriters who could go up against the Lennon / McCartney juggernaut. Give me H - D - H any day.

haha yeah this magazine interview is a brilliant one . Its so lovely that he and Adam were friends, the fact he spoke of Ant Music is great, cos you know we love that one !
"So unplug the jukebox
And do us all a favour
That music's lost its taste
So try another flavour
Ant music"
lyrics by Adam Ant / Stuart Goddard

I can imagine them two on the phone , adam seems easy to talk to , as we know Michael was so must have been good , honest conversation.
I wanna be in a 3 way conversation with those two. It would be loads of fun, you just know it.

thank you for bumping this .
i'm going to say this is maybe the best interview he has conducted, because there is a decent interviewer , mark Ellen -which actually asked respectful, proper non intrusive questions
Ngl, Mark Ellen was never my fave music journalist. Didn't have anything against him but I didn't rush to read his stuff. But this is excellent. Such a pleasure to read. Proper questions, as you say even though it's 'only' pop mag Smash Hits. This is way better than most of the interviews I've seen from so-called heavyweight music publications.

it's a fun interview too and they use very nice at home pictures which show M naturally and happy. It is a glossy layout . i remember the 1990 one from smash hits, hes in his studio .
I remember this cover you've posted. I was already pulling away from music at this point and pretty much had stopped buying pop papers and pop mags so didn't get this one.

@Hiker

Just got thinking. This interview here, I bumped it a while back for @wendijane bc it's from Smash Hits, UK pop mag from back in the day. It's a brilliant interview, 3 pages, really good, 'Thriller' has just come out so it's all positive stuff. And I'm wondering if you could move it over to the interview thread? It's a bit buried over here amongst a load of magazine adverts. I love this thread, it's very nostalgic for me, that's why I was browsing through it but never expected to find a complete interview posted here. It would be great if it could be somewhere where people are more likely to find it. It's posted on Page 1 of this thread.

This would be the best place for it, I think. I already checked and this interview hasn't been posted there. Yesterday you moved a photo I posted over from Bad Era to Manhood. I've never been able to work out how to bump something from one thread to another. Or maybe we're not allowed to do that? Maybe it's a moderator thing. You have the power, lol.

Anyway, whaddya think? Should the interview be moved over to the MJ Interviews thread?

@DangerousGal91 - dunno if you've seen this already. If not, you might wanna check it out. It's a lovely interview, all positive.

And I'm wondering if you could move it over to the interview thread?
I can copy over to the other thread, but the posts are copied with timestamp, meaning it will appear as if it was posted in 2019 and people probably won't notice. When I get time, I will download the article and repost there so that it appears as new post.

I can copy over to the other thread, but the posts are copied with timestamp, meaning it will appear as if it was posted in 2019 and people probably won't notice. When I get time, I will download the article and repost there so that it appears as new post.
OK. That was all a bit technical, lol.

No pressure, if you have time to do it, that's great. No worries if not. It's not life and death, lol. But we don't have so many positive pieces so it would be nice to have it on the other thread. He just sounds so relaxed here. Lovely!

Back