Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

dam2040;4321835 said:
Yes but my point was - some in this thread have said Sony made MJ stop and not use them.

If that’s the case why are they still all over the album?

analogue;4321862 said:
Maybe Michael was afraid that he was becoming a parody of himself, so that's the reason why he cut down on his trademark adlibs on Invincible?

Some of them remained on the ‘Invincible’ album, but the number of them is drastically reduced and much lower compared to those included on each of his previous studio albums.

All his trademark adlibs began to sound overused (by the early 2000s, he had been using them for nearly 25 years) and they also began to sound more like gimmicks with no real value on the new songs.

That is why Sony Music tried to make him tone them down (or even abandon them) for the new songs on the ‘Invincible’ album.

Technically, Michael Jackson’s trademark adlibs were not even his own trademarks, because he took them from other artists.

For example, he took the hee hee’s from Stevie Wonder (‘Maybe Your Baby’ song, released in 1972), and he started to use them few years later when he was still the frontman of The Jacksons band.

mj_frenzy;4321910 said:
Some of them remained on the ‘Invincible’ album, but the number of them is drastically reduced and much lower compared to those included on each of his previous studio albums.

All his trademark adlibs began to sound overused (by the early 2000s, he had been using them for nearly 25 years) and they also began to sound more like gimmicks with no real value on the new songs.

That is why Sony Music tried to make him tone them down (or even abandon them) for the new songs on the ‘Invincible’ album.

Technically, Michael Jackson’s trademark adlibs were not even his own trademarks, because he took them from other artists.

For example, he took the hee hee’s from Stevie Wonder (‘Maybe Your Baby’ song, released in 1972), and he started to use them few years later when he was still the frontman of The Jacksons band.

They were still his trademark adlibs regardless of where he got it from. Prince's trademark shouts and screams were taken from James Brown and they are still considered one of prince's tradmarks so I don't know where you are going with that last paragraph.

i think the reason for less hehes and such is actually him being more vocally aware of himself and not pushing the limits as much because it would either cause damage or would not be sustainable for long,as a singers ages their voice gets darked and lower and after history he would rarely ever go 100 hard as he used to before on songs,and would mostly lean on harmony work rather than belting or going to head voice (hehes hohos and such).
also most songs after history sit between his lows and mid tones and rarely go high chest and high head(i really can only come up with butterflies for example of high head but other than that theres nothing) which makes me think he was just not comfortable with the hehes hohos as much as he used to be before

An interesting question is what hairstyle Michael Jackson would have adopted for his ‘This Is It’ shows had he not been pressured by his fans’ requests to wear again his curls.

The singer seemed to be quite comfortable and very satisfied with his long, straight hair that he was wearing throughout the 2000s.

He was even happily wearing his long, straight hair while performing on stage in the 2000s (such as, in his ‘We Are The World’ performance at the 2006 World Music Awards).

This suggests that his plan was to perform his ‘This Is It’ shows without wearing his curls, but with his long, straight hair.

Themidwestcowboy;4321912 said:
They were still his trademark adlibs regardless of where he got it from. Prince's trademark shouts and screams were taken from James Brown and they are still considered one of prince's tradmarks so I don't know where you are going with that last paragraph.

Prince's trademark shouts and screams were apparently taken from James Brown, but Prince used them in a different way by giving to them a mostly high-pitched/falsetto sound.

So, Prince's trademark shouts and screams are legitimately considered one of Prince’s trademarks.

mj_frenzy;4321962 said:
An interesting question is what hairstyle Michael Jackson would have adopted for his ‘This Is It’ shows had he not been pressured by his fans’ requests to wear again his curls.

The singer seemed to be quite comfortable and very satisfied with his long, straight hair that he was wearing throughout the 2000s.

He was even happily wearing his long, straight hair while performing on stage in the 2000s (such as, in his ‘We Are The World’ performance at the 2006 World Music Awards).

This suggests that his plan was to perform his ‘This Is It’ shows without wearing his curls, but with his long, straight hair.

Prince's trademark shouts and screams were apparently taken from James Brown, but Prince used them in a different way by giving to them a mostly high-pitched/falsetto sound.

So, Prince's trademark shouts and screams are legitimately considered one of Prince’s trademarks.

No that’s not true at all because James brown did all those screams and screeches all throughout his vocal range including falsetto. If you’ve listen to James brown extensively you would have known this. Prince did little to nothing to change that. MJ took
Those hee-hees and experimented with them using them in a wide variety of ways. The way he sung hee-hee on the way you make me feel differs from Billie Jean and Billie Jean differs from beat it etc and with that he made them his own trademarks.

mj_frenzy;4321962 said:

I don't think he would have performed with the long straight hair. He would have had it in ponytail at least. That 2006 We are the World wasn't really a proper performance.

I don't think he would have performed with the long straight hair. He would have had it in ponytail at least. That 2006 We are the World wasn't really a proper performance.

Yeah it was more of a spur-of-the-moment "I've got to get out there, they're calling me" sort of thing. From what I remember, his manager was all ready for everybody to get up and leave but Michael heard the fans chanting for him to come out (since apparently there'd been some hype from people thinking that he might do some comeback performance at the 2006 WMV). If I'm not mistaken, MJ coming back on stage to join that choir was 100% not supposed to happen.

king_of_style;4321976 said:
MJ coming back on stage to join that choir was 100% not supposed to happen.

Michael Jackson originally agreed to perform ‘Thriller’ and ‘We Are The World’ at the 2006 World Music Awards, but eventually he performed only the latter song.

It had been announced that he would make a comeback performance at that event.

Galactus123;4321974 said:

king_of_style;4321976 said:
Yeah it was more of a spur-of-the-moment "I've got to get out there, they're calling me" sort of thing. From what I remember, his manager was all ready for everybody to get up and leave but Michael heard the fans chanting for him to come out (since apparently there'd been some hype from people thinking that he might do some comeback performance at the 2006 WMV). If I'm not mistaken, MJ coming back on stage to join that choir was 100% not supposed to happen.

Even if that 2006 ‘We Are The World’ performance was not really a proper performance and it was done in a more of a spur-of-the-moment way, you can check some of his other performances (in the 2000s) where he was again wearing his long, straight hair.

Like, his ‘Black Or White’ Apollo 2002 performance.

Or, his performance at the ‘United We Stand: What More Can I Give’ 2001 benefit concert where he was again wearing his long, straight hair.

It appears that his original plan for his ‘This Is It’ shows was to wear again his favourite long, straight hair for most of the songs, while having them in ponytail for a few certain songs for practical reasons.

I love MJ , massive fan in fact seen him in Glasgow 1992 and Liverpool 1988 but was too young to really remember the Liverpool concert but he clearly wore a wig from the later 1980s onwards . not hating but it was never his real hair. It was mostly a hairpiece i guess but i think it was due to the burn incident. MJs hair was at its best during the Triumph era ( not his fault i know) but when i saw his TII pics for his rehearsals it just did not suit him any more imo . Neither did the long hair. A shorter wig may have been a bit cooler.

The 1991 remember the time hair and 2002 hair looked simply rediculous.

mj_frenzy;4321998 said:
Michael Jackson originally agreed to perform ‘Thriller’ and ‘We Are The World’ at the 2006 World Music Awards, but eventually he performed only the latter song.
It had been announced that he would make a comeback performance at that event.

The Thriller performance was just a rumor started by the media. And out of all the songs he could have performed why Thriller of all things? Not saying he wouldn't have done it but a one off performance of Thriller seems really odd considering the fact that he's never done one off performances of that song before.

I love MJ , massive fan in fact seen him in Glasgow 1992 and Liverpool 1988 but was too young to really remember the Liverpool concert but he clearly wore a wig from the later 1980s onwards . not hating but it was never his real hair. It was mostly a hairpiece i guess but i think it was due to the burn incident. MJs hair was at its best during the Triumph era ( not his fault i know) but when i saw his TII pics for his rehearsals it just did not suit him any more imo . Neither did the long hair. A shorter wig may have been a bit cooler.

Yeah I actually kinda dig what he had with the shorter style for part of the HIStory era, kinda like in the "Childhood" and "You Are Not Alone" music videos. I think a middle ground between that and the more messy style he went with in 2001-2002 would've been good for This Is It. But still, the curls in TII "Earth Song" were awesome to me

analogue;4322002 said:
The Thriller performance was just a rumor started by the media. And out of all the songs he could have performed why Thriller of all things? Not saying he wouldn't have done it but a one off performance of Thriller seems really odd considering the fact that he's never done one off performances of that song before.

The ‘Thriller’ performance was not a rumour started by the media, but it had been announced by the organizers of that event.

According to their announcement, Michael Jackson chose to perform specifically the ‘Thriller’ song because he wanted to give a dramatic feel with his comeback performance, but also because ‘Thriller’ was one of his classic songs.

Here is what organizers stated about his ‘Thriller’ comeback performance:

“…Yes, it’s his first performance in a long time … It’s something of a comeback if you like…” (Outside Organization, a London-based public relations company that publicized the 2006 World Music Awards)

Michael Jackson chose to perform at that event the ‘Thriller’ song also for boosting sales of his upcoming ‘Thriller 25’ anniversary album.

mj_frenzy;4322039 said:
According to their announcement, Michael Jackson chose to perform specifically the ‘Thriller’ song because he wanted to give a dramatic feel with his comeback performance, but also because ‘Thriller’ was one of his classic songs.

Here is what organizers stated about his ‘Thriller’ comeback performance:

…Yes, it’s his first performance in a long time … It’s something of a comeback if you like…” (Outside Organization, a London-based public relations company that publicized the 2006 World Music Awards)
If him standing still for a few minutes or walking around on stage receives a "dramatic" reaction from the audience, I'm pretty sure no one needs to be concerned about a "dramatic feel" when it comes to one of his performances. He could have performed a gentle song like Heal the World, or even the classic Billie Jean, any song off his discography, and the audience would still be engrossed. A "comeback" performance of Billie Jean would just make more sense, considering that one performance of the song to have been witnessed by a larger audience than any of his "Thriller" performances, unless we're talking about the Thriller music video, then that's quite possibly a match-up. But then again, more probably recognized him for that one dance move of gliding across the ground than the Thriller music video, just saying. No disfavor of the Thriller music video by the way, no disrespect to it

MJ chose to do Thriller to promote an album no one knew was coming (doubt even MJ knew about it) 2 years later?

I am pretty sure had This Is It happened, MJ would have performed with curly hair. MJ's last outfit in his life was a shirt that said "Curls for my girls" a fan gave him, and I remember hearing that he decided to switch to curly hair after reading fan's requests on a MJ forum (this one right?) Which makes sense, every single MJ solo tour, he performed with curly hair. Only a handful of performances did he perform with straight hair long or short, and these were not full on concert tours (30th anniversary 2001, WMA 1996, Soul Train Awards 1993, BET 15th anniversary 1995 etc) Also if MJ did curly hair to "please his fans" why would he only do it during rehearsals where no one can see him on stage and then not do it during his tour that would had 100's of thousands of fans seeing him if the tour was completed. :wtf2::doh:

IMO his curly hair during This Is It made him look 20 years younger, it fitted him during performances and made him look younger. He looks like a different person at the announcements compared to rehearsals.

I am pretty sure had This Is It happened, MJ would have performed with curly hair. MJ's last outfit in his life was a shirt that said "Curls for my girls" a fan gave him, and I remember hearing that he decided to switch to curly hair after reading fan's requests on a MJ forum (this one right?) Which makes sense, every single MJ solo tour, he performed with curly hair. Only a handful of performances did he perform with straight hair long or short, and these were not full on concert tours (30th anniversary 2001, WMA 1996, Soul Train Awards 1993, BET 15th anniversary 1995 etc) Also if MJ did curly hair to "please his fans" why would he only do it during rehearsals where no one can see him on stage and then not do it during his tour that would had 100's of thousands of fans seeing him if the tour was completed. :wtf2::doh:

IMO his curly hair during This Is It made him look 20 years younger, it fitted him during performances and made him look younger. He looks like a different person at the announcements compared to rehearsals.

I don't think anyone doubts that he would have had curls in This Is It concerts. mj_frenzy was just saying that bringing back the curls might have not been his original plan. I wonder if he really did that because fans asked? It sounds likely but do we have any proof of that? Didn't he get that Curls for my girls shirt during the rehearsals and not before?

I don't think anyone doubts that he would have had curls in This Is It concerts. mj_frenzy was just saying that bringing back the curls might have not been his original plan. I wonder if he really did that because fans asked? It sounds likely but do we have any proof of that? Didn't he get that Curls for my girls shirt during the rehearsals and not before?

I vaguely remembered him having his straight hair during one rehearsal, for "They Don't Care About Us", but when I looked it up he had his curly hair, it was just down instead of up in a ponytail. Here's the video (also his outfit at the beginning is soooo good)

Back