Artistic Decisions in Michael Jackson's Career That Are Questionable

We know MJ wanted to sing live as much as possible but I really doubt it would have worked out that way considering his age and mainly health at the time.

So do you prefer lip-syncing to live singing? I think live singing is much more fun to watch. It makes concerts more exciting.

I don't prefer lip syncing any more than I prefer live singing. I just don't really care if it's live or not

Last edited:
History tour is bottom for me. I even prefer the dancing in every other tour (I prefer to watch power and energy over sharpness)

Couldn’t agree more. For me, the HIStory Tour is the only thing in Michael’s career that is completely disposable. The vocals are mediocre at best (and atrocious at worst), the miming is embarrassing for a performer of Michael’s creed, the dancing is average, and the set list and staging are borderline terrible. (Putting “In the Closet” in a medley with “Scream” and “They Don't Care About Us”? Not making “Blood on the Dance Floor” a fully-choreographed piece? Not dropping “Heal the World” once “Earth Song” was released? Never once performing “Childhood,” “Smile,” or “2 Bad”?)

The Bad and Dangerous tours, even with their shortcomings, felt like the product of Michael and his team putting in work to make something memorable and exciting. The HIStory Tour feels like an afterthought, and itÂ’s exceedingly obvious that he didnÂ’t want to do it.

Couldn’t agree more. For me, the HIStory Tour is the only thing in Michael’s career that is completely disposable. The vocals are mediocre at best (and atrocious at worst), the miming is embarrassing for a performer of Michael’s creed, the dancing is average, and the set list and staging are borderline terrible. (Putting “In the Closet” in a medley with “Scream” and “They Don't Care About Us”? Not making “Blood on the Dance Floor” a fully-choreographed piece? Not dropping “Heal the World” once “Earth Song” was released? Never once performing “Childhood,” “Smile,” or “2 Bad”?)

The Bad and Dangerous tours, even with their shortcomings, felt like the product of Michael and his team putting in work to make something memorable and exciting. The HIStory Tour feels like an afterthought, and itÂ’s exceedingly obvious that he didnÂ’t want to do it.

I agree with many of these but I wouldn't call the dancing is average. I think the Billie Jean end dance was best on HIStory Tour.

Things I like about the HIStory Tour:
1. The costume. I thought it was an improvement over the Dangerous Tour costume. Plus it's shiny. And I like shiny things.
2. The setlist. I like that a lot of songs from the HIStory album was performed (Even if some where put together as a medley)
3. The Billie Jean end dance. Probably the best ones he ever did.

I haven't watched a HIStory Tour show entirely in well over 5 years, there's nothing that attracts me back to it.
When I last watched one, I think it was Helsinki, I was looking at my phone, not really paying attention to it. I hate to say it but I turned it off after Dangerous
There's moments of magic but that pales in comparison to Bad and Dangerous were almost both shows were 2 hours of magic
You can see Michael's heart isn't in it like it was in previous tours

I watch an MJ concert every single day, and 5 out of 7 times it's a HIStory tour concert. I'm so grateful there are so many concerts available from this tour, but wouldn't mind having more :laughingv9:

History tour felt like a last minute decision. Michael started the Bad Tour literally days after the release of Bad. Dangerous tour started 7-8 months after the release of Dangerous. But History tour started 15 months after the release of History. Ideally, you want to start touring when the album is still new or relatively new. When itÂ’s still selling well and people are still talking about it. After 15 months, History wasnÂ’t a new album anymore. The fact that History tour started more a year after the release of History tells me that Michael didnÂ’t really want to do the tour and that his heart wasnÂ’t truly in it.

I haven't watched a HIStory Tour show entirely in well over 5 years, there's nothing that attracts me back to it.
When I last watched one, I think it was Helsinki, I was looking at my phone, not really paying attention to it. I hate to say it but I turned it off after Dangerous
There's moments of magic but that pales in comparison to Bad and Dangerous were almost both shows were 2 hours of magic
You can see Michael's heart isn't in it like it was in previous tours

Biggest issue is the lip-syncing. You are just hearing the album vocals so it gets boring.

For In The Closer on the HIStory Tour, Michael definitely should have pre-recorded new speaking vocals for him to lip sync to. I always hated how he'd go from a deep, out of breath speaking voice into perfect falsetto vocals.

For In The Closer on the HIStory Tour, Michael definitely should have pre-recorded new speaking vocals for him to lip sync to. I always hated how he'd go from a deep, out of breath speaking voice into perfect falsetto vocals.

Yeah I would have enjoyed the show more if he rerecorded vocals for some of the songs or even used alternative vocal takes and pitched them down slightly. Although I'm always grateful of the legacy Mike left us

I feel the same Galactus123 mate. Apologies I don't want to double post again

As the last few posts are about History Tour, here are my issues with that particular tour, in particular the set list.

- I am not the biggest fan of the medley. I think Scream as a solo performance doesn't work. It would have been better if it was performed as one off performance with Janet at some award show. I don't particularly like the solo performance.
- In The Closet felt out of place in that medley. I wish Michael had performed They Don't Care About Us as a full song, as I like the performance of that song.
- After the release of BOTDF and Ghosts, Michael should have added songs like 2Bad and Ghosts into the setlist for the 97 shows. I would have loved to see the 2Bad choreography live on stage. Ghosts & Is It Scary should have replaced Thriller, as the later song was boring live by that point, in my opinion.
- Heal The World should have been dropped. After the release of Earth Song, there was no reason to keep on doing Heal The World. It wasn't some mega hit that he had to do it live always.
- It's criminal that MITM was dropped and Heal the World wasn't. History Tour felt incomplete with MITM and ending the shows with History just felt really flat. MITM was the perfect concert closer at both Bad and Dangerous Tours.

Not writing more of the songs on Invincible
as good as the album is, it doesn't feel like a MJ record to me

Not performing Give In To Me on the Dangerous Tour

I can't think of any others right now, if I'm honest I'm pretty satisfied with most of Mike's choices career wise. He got an awful lot more right than he did wrong

As the last few posts are about History Tour, here are my issues with that particular tour, in particular the set list.

- I am not the biggest fan of the medley. I think Scream as a solo performance doesn't work. It would have been better if it was performed as one off performance with Janet at some award show. I don't particularly like the solo performance.
- In The Closet felt out of place in that medley. I wish Michael had performed They Don't Care About Us as a full song, as I like the performance of that song.
- After the release of BOTDF and Ghosts, Michael should have added songs like 2Bad and Ghosts into the setlist for the 97 shows. I would have loved to see the 2Bad choreography live on stage. Ghosts & Is It Scary should have replaced Thriller, as the later song was boring live by that point, in my opinion.
- Heal The World should have been dropped. After the release of Earth Song, there was no reason to keep on doing Heal The World. It wasn't some mega hit that he had to do it live always.
- It's criminal that MITM was dropped and Heal the World wasn't. History Tour felt incomplete with MITM and ending the shows with History just felt really flat. MITM was the perfect concert closer at both Bad and Dangerous Tours.
Mitm is much of a change as victory is to first leg to bad

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Didn't know it was for charity...well that explains why it wasn't that great...it was free.

Imo the MJ and friends concerts were the last performances where MJ seemed like himself. His voice was even better there than on the History Tour.

His voice? MJ and Friends shows were fully 100% lipsynced...

And that again was an artistic decisions that is questionable...

Should have sung live when it's such a short concert.

Not to retire after the bad tour so that his subsequent endeavours werenÂ’t subject to heavy criticism.

We really are a tough crowd the please..

Not to retire after the bad tour so that his subsequent endeavours werenÂ’t subject to heavy criticism.

We really are a tough crowd the please..
I can't imagine how insane Michael's legacy would be if he had retired in 1989. He would literally have been treated as a god on earth.

On the one hand, retiring in 1989 wouldÂ’ve left Michael with arguably the greatest musical legacy of all time. It also mightÂ’ve saved his life, given that he wouldnÂ’t have met the Chandlers or Arvizos.

But at the same time, we would’ve been deprived some of his best songs (“Will You Be There,” “Stranger in Moscow,” “Morphine”). Selfish, for sure, but come on.

For a lot of obvious selfish reasons I am very very happy MJ did not retire in 1989...

My favorite songs are nearly all released after 1989 - I got to see MJ live on his birthday in Copenhagen 1997, Dangerous the album - and tour - was amazing. The HIStory album with so many timeless classics, the Ghosts movie...

BUT - I do agree, that had MJ retired a lot would have been different - and most importantly, he would probably still be alive.

His voice? MJ and Friends shows were fully 100% lipsynced...

He sang the last part of YANA live and there is footage of him rehearsing she’s out of my life fully live. His voice was much, much stronger than it was on the history tour and subsequent performances.

Back