New Book: 83 Minutes: The Doctor, the Damage, and the Shocking Death of Michael Jackson

In my other statement I was referring to the reviewer's opinion that because the book was based on facts it made it boring and would have been a more interesting read had it been written with a bit more ... pizzaz (if you catch my drift.) I meant God forbid someone put a book out based solely on facts (especially this case as the media did run rampant with it) about Jackson because most of the books we do have are based on rumour and hearsay, and because this book wasn't, it received a semi negative (IMO) review.

That is because for people like this reviewer, Michael was some sort of super un-human character that runs rampant on the tabloid pages doing funny thing and not real person at all. By writing facts based book of this "un-human tabloid character" is boring because his life on tabloids was so much more "exiting" and book should be based on what they have read from tabloids.

@Barbee, that Red Bull story was from Nurse Sherilyn. Michael drank cans of it before trying to sleep.

That is because for people like this reviewer, Michael was some sort of super un-human character that runs rampant on the tabloid pages doing funny thing and not real person at all. By writing facts based book of this "un-human tabloid character" is boring because his life on tabloids was so much more "exiting" and book should be based on what they have read from tabloids.
And this all goes back to that original hydrobaric chamber story, doesn't it-because no mere mortal can explode on the Motown 25 stage and sing and dance as he did, much less glide backward supposedly on air. In front of a TV audience of 50 million people. And no mere mortal sleeps in a regular bed.

It's just sad that so many people thought of Michael as something from another planet-and wanted to have and read and BELIEVE all these extraordinary stories written about him-when his real "normal" story is quite interesting in itself.

@Barbee, that Red Bull story was from Nurse Sherilyn. Michael drank cans of it before trying to sleep.
I guess I missed that. Was that in the trial or one of the interviews that she gave? That seems odd to drink Red Bull, as it's supposed to be an energy drink, isn't it?

If this book was based solely on the trial documents, it would have been a better read.

In the synopsis and excerpt alone, the authors instead inject their views based on fact in some areas (squalid conditions) and inject their views based on decades old folklore in most other areas not trial-related (Michael living with Diana Ross while his brothers lived in sleazy hotels is NOT true among other items).

I followed the doctor's trial and the AEG civil trial so I need no assistance with the court transcripts from these authors. I would direct others who did not follow these trials to other sources and not this book.

barbee0715;4108579 said:
I guess I missed that. Was that in the trial or one of the interviews that she gave? That seems odd to drink Red Bull, as it's supposed to be an energy drink, isn't it?

She testified in both the doctor's trial and the AEG civil trial. Michael drank Red Bull to sustain energy because he could not sleep. Lee was concerned the high caffeinated beverage prevented Michael from sleeping. Michael ceased drinking Red Bull with Nurse Lee’s holistic offerings however; those did not grant Michael more than five hours sleep or so.

Kai, the cook (i have forget her whole name) said when she came back there were almost no food but lot´s of Red Bull in the kitchen.
Michael needed more energy and thought he would get it from the "energy" drink Red Bull.
Just like thousands of other people.
I suppose he drank it during daytime,when he needed energy.

I believe there were several reasons for Michael´s insomnia and Red Bull maybe was a small but still one factor.If Michael had stopped drinking it he still had had severe insomnia but maybe he could have managed without propofol.
Perhaps he could have managed to sleep on the other strong medications he had, doctor could still be needed to give it intravenous
Another thing if you drink Red Bull you don´t get so hungry

I was watching Murray´s trial thanks to kind fans here who provide links to it and even if the book tells the facts I don´t want to read it .
It was enough with the trial.

Maybe fans who didn´t follow the trial want to read it

And this all goes back to that original hydrobaric chamber story, doesn't it-because no mere mortal can explode on the Motown 25 stage and sing and dance as he did, much less glide backward supposedly on air. In front of a TV audience of 50 million people. And no mere mortal sleeps in a regular bed.

It's just sad that so many people thought of Michael as something from another planet-and wanted to have and read and BELIEVE all these extraordinary stories written about him-when his real "normal" story is quite interesting in itself.

I still laugh when I see any media outlet claiming Michael hyperbaric oxygen chamber:) When you are larger than life person, of course the stories have to be written accordingly to this character :smilerolleyes:

Nurse Lee testified that in CM trial.
"Jackson's poor sleep might have been at least partly due to the large quantities of heavily caffeinated Red Bull that he drank, and his habit of trying to sleep in a lighted bedroom with music and movies playing, Lee said."

Thanks, I remember that now. I definitely understand drinking RedBull (as I do with NoDoz for yrs) but don't remember anything about it "strewn around" in the bedroom that night before you try to sleep.

Tygger is right about the excerpt. I had already pointed out the "squalid conditions" description of this 100k a mo. rental. But I noticed that part about Michael getting to live with Diana while everybody else got sent to seedy hotels.
Absolutely not true and I sensed an agenda here to promote a longtime resentment between Michael and the boys from the get go.

It's like Aphrodites book. I was excited to read a cut and dry facts of the trial but there's way too much speculation in it where she inserts her opinion (what the jury is thinking for example).

The real Murray trial was fascinating. Could not have been better if it had been cast and scripted by Hollywood. Stick to that.

Thanks, I remember that now. I definitely understand drinking RedBull (as I do with NoDoz for yrs) but don't remember anything about it "strewn around" in the bedroom that night before you try to sleep.

Tygger is right about the excerpt. I had already pointed out the "squalid conditions" description of this 100k a mo. rental. But I noticed that part about Michael getting to live with Diana while everybody else got sent to seedy hotels.
Absolutely not true and I sensed an agenda here to promote a longtime resentment between Michael and the boys from the get go.

Michael drank it because he could not sleep. Lee thought it was a cause in preventing him from sleeping. In some cases, a person may drink highly caffeinated beverages in the late afternoon and it can prevent one from falling to sleep. I do not believe Michael was drinking the beverage before attempting to fall to sleep in the evenings but, I have heard some say similar thoughts when attempting to reason what happened.

I was surprised how many opinions were expressed by these authors in that excerpt; particularly regarding Michael's early career (J5 and solo) and his relationship with his father and brothers. I believe the 83 minutes is tragic enough without adding unnecessary commentary in an attempt to give context to the 83 minutes. Enough context can be found in the AEG civil trial.

Note: I noticed there are no early reviews from fans. It could be authors of Michael Jackson books have finally realized they cannot depend on fans to blindly purchase books about him despite a favorable, early review.

Last edited:
Caffeine is a stimulus for energy enhancement and adrenaline enhancement. For someone that like Michael not getting REM sleep makes sense to have that!! There are only few causes of the feeling of tired due to caffeine.. 1. those who have A.D.D. or A.D.H.D. for example physiologically do not have high source of natural energy.. that is actually why they (we) tend to be extra fidgety, scattered, and sometimes even extra active. It's the brains way of coping to stay awake and energy driven.. So when energy goes up (to an extent) it allows those who have A.D.D. act the way they are feeling..TIRED! no need for fidgeting to stay awake, they can act calm..

Also those who have a high tolerance for caffeine they have shorter lifecycle which means quicker to have that crash effect..

Caffeine is a stimulus for energy enhancement and adrenaline enhancement. For someone that like Michael not getting REM sleep makes sense to have that!! There are only few causes of the feeling of tired due to caffeine.. 1. those who have A.D.D. or A.D.H.D. for example physiologically do not have high source of natural energy.. that is actually why they (we) tend to be extra fidgety, scattered, and sometimes even extra active. It's the brains way of coping to stay awake and energy driven.. So when energy goes up (to an extent) it allows those who have A.D.D. act the way they are feeling..TIRED! no need for fidgeting to stay awake, they can act calm..

Also those who have a high tolerance for caffeine they have shorter lifecycle which means quicker to have that crash effect..

I agree on the BOLD here. It seems to have a 'reverse' effect on us :blush: I think it's also the sugar contained in 'energy drinks' or 'caffeinated' drinks like Coke. It is supposed to give energy NOT 'drain' it :unsure:

some books are good because they expose details about music or personal live that maybe a new fan should here and an older fan would enjoy...some books are only written by people that want money...

some books are only written by people that want money...

I believe these authors to be the latter.

The co-authors have an extensive history in the world of showbiz.

Langthorne is CEO of women's fashion designer outlet Roland Mouret and former manager at XIX Management.

Richards is an award-winning film director, television producer and screenwriter, whose credits include Revealed and Wife Swap.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...book-claims-reveal-truth-*****-s-last-minutes

Well, I've now read it and it's pretty poor, really.

A fan will find nothing here that they haven't read elsewhere, particularly in Randall Sullivan's book to which it is heavily indebted.

Now, I know Sullivan's book gets a lot of hate but I found a lot in it that was insightful and enjoyable. There were glaring inaccuracies but I think anyone who was ambivalent about MJ before would, after reading it, come away with a new appreciation of, and empathy with him as a human being and I'm sure it would be a revelation to many what a wonderful parent he was. The sympathetic insight into his time in Ireland was worth any of the nonsense about 'false noses'.

Sadly, in 83 Minutes, MJ once again becomes just a 2-dimensional subject of fascination, distaste and maybe even revulsion. There is no 'heart' to this book. Just the authors' dispassionate observation and recounting of facts or should that be 'facts'.

I'll leave it to someone with a far greater knowledge than me to judge the accuracy of the work but I'll just highlight one particularly bizarre passage that leapt out at me:

"There doesn't ever seem to have been any allegations against Jackson made by girls and there are no photographs of Jackson with young girls. He is only ever photographed with young boys."

Anyway, if anyone wants to see for themselves then they are welcome to have my copy. I'll happily send it to you because I'll only be giving it to the charity shop otherwise!

Last edited:
Man, Michael Jackson was a messy dude. Neverland was a freakin' mess. He didn't understand the word tidy for crap, but that was just MJ. If I looked into these authors lives, I'm sure I'd be pointing flaws out left right and centre. But, it would have worked for MJ and that's all that matters. It wasn't a house for books to be written about, it was Michael Jackson's house. These people are pathetic, could you imagine getting a real career instead of writing absolute garbage nonsense and attaching Michael's name on it for a quick buck/publicity?!

Now, I know Sullivan's book gets a lot of hate but I found a lot in it that was insightful and enjoyable. There were glaring inaccuracies but I think anyone who was ambivalent about MJ before would, after reading it, come away with a new appreciation of, and empathy with him as a human being and I'm sure it would be a revelation to many what a wonderful parent he was. The sympathetic insight into his time in Ireland was worth any of the nonsense about 'false noses'.
Ah, no, not for me. I have enough sympathetic insight and already knew what a great parent he would be before he had children. Besides, if he writes about false noses, how could a person believe another word of it?

I'll leave it to someone with a far greater knowledge than me to judge the accuracy of the work but I'll just highlight one particularly bizarre passage that leapt out at me:

"There doesn't ever seem to have been any allegations against Jackson made by girls and there are no photographs of Jackson with young girls. He is only ever photographed with young boys."
Apparently the authors have never seen "Moonwalker." Or know how to use Google.

Anyway, if anyone wants to see for themselves then they are welcome to have my copy. I'll happily send it to you because I'll only be giving it to the charity shop otherwise!

Don't do that...

That's just not true.

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/135278-Children-who-were-Michael-s-friends

Ah, no, not for me. I have enough sympathetic insight and already knew what a great parent he would be before he had children. Besides, if he writes about false noses, how could a person believe another word of it?

Apparently the authors have never seen "Moonwalker." Or know how to use Google.

I agree that fans already know these things, but my point was about how much a person who was ambivalent about MJ would gain from reading Sullivan's book.

My friends and family, who aren't fans, think that Michael was an awful parent - not from any particular evidence, but just from a generally held preconception. It's people like that who I think would have their eyes opened by Sullivan's book and the result would be, I believe, that they would come away realizing what a wonderful man he really was.

83 Minutes doesn't do any of that though, and will only confirm whatever prejudices non-fans may already hold.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. It's not like anyone will buy and read it.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. It's not like anyone will buy and read it.

No, only me! :D

But, seriously, I agree. I don't think there's any money to be made any more by writing books on MJ. I think the general public have lost interest (unless someone comes up with some really salacious story) and hardcore fans steer clear of anything without impeccable credentials.

"Jackson's poor sleep might have been at least partly due to the large quantities of heavily caffeinated Red Bull that he drank, and his habit of trying to sleep in a lighted bedroom with music and movies playing, Lee said."

Did anyone get the impression that he was literally afraid sleeping along in a dark room?
I remember a Diana Ross interview where she said Michael was afraid especially at night.
Otherwise why in the world did he let the lights on?

What the ****?
2 second of google search can prove that false.

And of course girls didn't accuse him. One Chandler decided to smear him only boys and their parents had any chance of being believed.
If JC Agajanian had been like Evan Chandler we would have seen Amy accusing Michael and then other parents with girls who were around him would have jumped on the bandwagon.

This argument is utterly ridiculous.

OK-I knew this sounded familiar-just found this thread. Why are they reviewing it now? Still sounds like garbage. I'm not going to copy over the whole thing.

b16e6891f0eacf8ca4dfba38289cd947

It’s been seven years since Michael Jackson died suddenly at the age of 50, and at least in basic terms, we know why. As established during the 2011 trial that convicted Jackson’s physician, Conrad Murray, of involuntary manslaughter, the superstar died due to a fatal cocktail of medications in his system, most notably an excessive amount of the surgical anesthetic propofol that Murray administered and that Jackson frequently used to help him sleep. “83 Minutes: The Doctor, the Damage, and the Shocking Death of Michael Jackson” confirms all this in great detail, delving even more deeply into the events that occurred between the time Murray left a heavily drugged Jackson alone in his bedroom and the moment Jackson arrived on a gurney at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, where he would be pronounced dead a short time later. Authors Matt Richards, a documentary filmmaker, and Mark Langthorne, a former music industry manager, have not written a book that boasts special access to Jackson insiders or mega-bombshell revelations about the Moonwalker’s confounding life. ...Read more
https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...9f74ee-3181-11e6-8758-d58e76e11b12_story.html

lollll, another book about the 300th book to date since 2009........

we keep getting the story, but not getting THE story, that's the story

That line was a red flag for me, too. They make it sound like he died in a crack house or on the street...REALLY?! I couldn't afford to rent a broom closet in that mansion; it was the farthest thing from being "squalid". :doh:

I mean, Michael was notoriously messy lol, but "squalid" is a big @ss exaggeration lol. Sensationalized language. I'm not buying it, figuratively or literally. :no:

Rumour has it that TMezz is writing a book - TMez confirmed he's working on a book and (I believe) said it was almost complete but that it won't likely come out for either a year or 2 (though I'm pretty sure he said 2?)
"TMezz"...as in Tom Mesereau? I'd love to read a book on Michael, written by him.

Bringing Brighter Days;4151912 said:
lollll, another book about the 300th book to date since 2009........

we keep getting the story, but not getting THE story, that's the story
When I saw the review of Washington Post I thought these authors can´t have any news to people who saw what happened between June 25 and the trial (and of, before!), followed the trial, read some books, listened to all these I-know-what-happened-people. Maybe it´s ok to read their book when it´s well researched and written as a summary for those who came later. I don´t know.

But! in fact nobody knows what really happened in these horrorful hours, nobody can know and maybe never anybody will know - except 2 men: The one does not walk around on the planet anymore since then and the other one told the world weird stories and got away with a ridiculous punishment.

Back