Monster - The Great Debate (Only Go Here if You Want To Continue The Controversy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Monster - The Great Debate

Did Threatened even get radio airplay in the states?

No, it didn't. But, that doesn't mean Threatened is not worthy.

Who knows? If there was no feud between Michael and Sony in 2001, Threatened might have been released as a single and a short film would have been created.

I actually think Monster is a pretty good song. It's got a catchy beat, and the chorus gets stuck in your head at first listen.

But with that said, it is plain wrong to release it as a "Michael Jackson" song.

It'll be a sad day if this one ever gets released as a single. It's bad enough that it's included on the album.

No, it didn't. But, that doesn't mean Threatened is not worthy.

Who knows? If there was no feud between Michael and Sony in 2001, Threatened might have been released as a single and a short film would have been created.

I do believe MJ was actually intending to do just that.

He Said In An Radio Interview From 2001 Before The Big Fight With Matola That He Wanted To Make A Music Video For Threatened,Even Bigger Then Thriller :swoon:

kopwatcher;3146130 said:

I know. He said he couldn't wait to get his hands on Threatened during his phone interview with allmusic.com.

Take a look to the lyris of Threatened:

You’re fearing me, ‘cause you know I’m a beast
Watching you when you sleep, when you’re in bed
I’m underneath
You’re trapped in halls, and my face is the walls
I’m the floor when you fall, and when you scream it’s ‘cause of me
I’m the living dead, the dark thoughts in your head
I heard just what you said
That’s why you’ve got to be threatened by me

[CHORUS]
You should be watching me, you should feel threatened
Why you sleep, why you creep, you should be threatened
Every time your lady speaks she speaks to me, threatened
Half of me you’ll never be, so you should feel threatened by me

You think you’re by yourself, but it’s my touch you felt
I’m not a ghost from Hell, but I’ve got a spell on you
Your worst nightmare is me, I'm everywhere
In one blink I’ll disappear, and then I’ll come back to haunt you
I’m telling you, when you lie under a tomb
I’m the one watching you
That’s why you got to be threatened by me

And, listen to how the TII band played Threatened. This song is GREAT. Threatened is such a underrated song.

It is a great song, but to say it's a better mainstream/club hit than Monster is just assumptions and speculation.

It is a great song, but to say it's a better mainstream/club hit than Monster is just assumptions and speculation.

Same thing can be said to Monster.

Actually, no one is assuming or speculating anything. Just expressing my opinion that Monster is not Michael's best dance track in years.

Same thing can be said to Monster.

Actually, no one is assuming or speculating anything. Just expressing my opinion that Monster is not Michael's best dance track in years.

Yea, I apologize, I meant to state that saying one song is better than the other is speculation and assumptions. Threatened was never released commercially as a single, so it's impossible to determine what would have been the better mainstream song.

Yea, I apologize, I meant to state that saying one song is better than the other is speculation and assumptions. Threatened was never released commercially as a single, so it's impossible to determine what would have been the better mainstream song.

No need to apologize. :better:

You are right. There is no way to determine whether Threatened would have been a mainstream song.

I just don't agree that Monster is better than every fast track on Invincible.

Did you hear Threatened getting played at the cinema on This Is It? If that don't get anyone moving then they are dead inside

Did you hear Threatened getting played at the cinema on This Is It? If that don't get anyone moving then they are dead inside

It was awesome!!!! Especially with those bass effects and Michael dancing round, round to it.

By the way JAM bass on that live rehearsals were so much improved that it sounded better than on any previous concert and even studio album!

And ooh that drill with a star-wars-lazer effect when they move at one point during the dance! Just pure wonder and magic! Sigh! And look at us now debating unrecognizable voices on BN and Monster!

I just wish some of you had known Michael during his glorious days of BAD and Moonwalker era! You would have felt so complete in all the magic that Michael emanated that the tracks such as BN and Monster would sound ridiculous to you compared to that era and magic (completely absent from the Cascio songs)

It was awesome!!!! Especially with those bass effects and Michael dancing round, round to it.

By the way JAM bass on that live rehearsals were so much improved that it sounded better than on any previous concert and even studio album!

And ooh that drill with a star-wars-lazer effect when they move at one point during the dance! Just pure wonder and magic! Sigh! And look at us now debating unrecognizable voices on BN and Monster!

I just wish some of you had known Michael during his glorious days of BAD and Moonwalker era! You would have felt so complete in all the magic that Michael emanated that the tracks such as BN and Monster would sound ridiculous to you compared to that era and magic (completely absent from the Cascio songs)

Do you mean the Dangerous Tour rehearsals with Michael in his green shirt?

Ok, I don't agree with you...but whatever you say....:D

You mean you don't agree with voice analyzing computer technology that has been confirming who's vocals are who's for decades without error.

I find it hard to believe that this technology works fine for the rest of the human race, but for some reason when it comes to Michael Jackson it's just suddenly not going to work all of the sudden.

Sony ran it through voice analyzers already. In addition not a single news agency, person publicly claiming it is him, or a single member of his family has come forward with any voice analyzers showing it not to be.

nobody is yet to answer the question that if they were willing to use an imposter, than why don't the songs sound more finished? Why do they sound so incomplete? did the impersonator die too before the songs were complete?

Last edited:

Hello everyone, this is my first post, but I have been a Michael Jackson fan for a very long time and have been reading the debate since it began the day Breaking News came out.

Now I must admit I was a little surprised when the vocals started on Breaking News. It did sound very weird, and the production(on the vocals) did sound very much like 'Let Me Let Go'(this is the case for all three Cascio songs on the album).

I have come to the conclusion that it is Michael on the tracks, or at least for the most part. It seems as though they've dragged out the vibrato somehow to possibly make the lines longer, but I don't know exactly why? Unless he was breathing heavily, ended the lines badly, etc?

One thing I'm tired of seeing in this debate is the comparison between the phone message at the beginning of I Like The Way. That is such an old recording with a young MJ compared to a demo recording from 2007. They won't compare. Something I find odd about this record is that he sounds so much younger throughout, like he sounded older on Invincible or something. Listen to Don't Walk Away and his voice is so much lower.

But I definitely hear him throughout these songs. Sadly it's over processed to the point that it's overwhelming in areas, but I'm happy we have these songs instead of not having them.

Hopefully one day we'll be able to hear the original recordings, but with the secrecy and mysteriousness around MJ I wouldn't be surprised if we never hear the original vocals and they stay hidden in some 'vault'.

IDK how we can have a TRUE DEBATE thread without facts to back up people that are saying its not him aside from.. "I hear" "I hear" if this was a debate compition they could not even make this a topic..

There at least evidance to use within a debate that it IS.. but there isn't for that it is NOT..

Hello everyone, this is my first post, but I have been a Michael Jackson fan for a very long time and have been reading the debate since it began the day Breaking News came out.

Now I must admit I was a little surprised when the vocals started on Breaking News. It did sound very weird, and the production(on the vocals) did sound very much like 'Let Me Let Go'(this is the case for all three Cascio songs on the album).

I have come to the conclusion that it is Michael on the tracks, or at least for the most part. It seems as though they've dragged out the vibrato somehow to possibly make the lines longer, but I don't know exactly why? Unless he was breathing heavily, ended the lines badly, etc?

One thing I'm tired of seeing in this debate is the comparison between the phone message at the beginning of I Like The Way. That is such an old recording with a young MJ compared to a demo recording from 2007. They won't compare. Something I find odd about this record is that he sounds so much younger throughout, like he sounded older on Invincible or something. Listen to Don't Walk Away and his voice is so much lower.

But I definitely hear him throughout these songs. Sadly it's over processed to the point that it's overwhelming in areas, but I'm happy we have these songs instead of not having them.

Hopefully one day we'll be able to hear the original recordings, but with the secrecy and mysteriousness around MJ I wouldn't be surprised if we never hear the original vocals and they stay hidden in some 'vault'.

This !

I find this song to be the worst of the three, by far the worst track on the album, and by far the worst track out of MJ's entire catalog with the J5, Jacksons and solo career.

If I had to rank all of the songs MJ ever recorded by himself, with his brothers or as a guest artist, I don't know how I'd rank them, I just know this would be at the absolute bottom of the stack.

The vocals - to me - do not sound "processed", like a demo, like "guide vocals", or any of the multiple adjectives used to explain why it sounds like someone else. It flat-out sounds like someone else to me. I don't need evidence to explain what I'M hearing. Maybe its Michael Jackson. If it is great, - but to me, it still sounds like someone else and a horrible song.

IDK how we can have a TRUE DEBATE thread without facts to back up people that are saying its not him aside from.. "I hear" "I hear" if this was a debate compition they could not even make this a topic..

There at least evidance to use within a debate that it IS.. but there isn't for that it is NOT..

Maybe the reason why there's a debate in the first place, is because people don't have solid evidence. If solid evidence was available, then perhaps things would be a little more clear-cut?

Though, I won't be surprised if there'd still be some who prefer to go with their instincts. Just like the "Michael was a drug addict at the end of his life" v.s. "Michael just needed some sleep" debate. The former argument seems to rely on one's personal observations of Michael's conduct + accounts of close friends and family members, while the latter argument seems to rely on the autopsy report + one's understanding of how certain medications work.

You know what's the real truck-stopper in all of these "great" debates about the tracks? All one has to say, is that there's no solid evidence to back up either claims, and everyone is back to square one with no significant progress (as far as I can tell).

True, we have no evidence, but let's listen to the tracks and discuss it anyway!

I have listened to a lot of Malachi and they sound very similar, but Malachi just doesn't have enough diversity in his music like MJ has even on his "worst days", as some would say.

The most convincing parts, for me, that it's Michael on the tracks?

"All you need is love, tell you I'm always coming soon"
"He's draggin' you down like a monster, he's keepin' you down like a monster"

Listening to these songs on CD in very high quality, there's little doubting it's Michael on these tracks. Listening to the vibrato, it sounds very robotic, like it's fake and has some reverb effect on it, almost an alien warp to it is how I'd describe it, but it sounds very strange.

Maybe it was a sound they kind of thought fit and thought people would like, because it sounds more 'emotional', but it just ended up being a mess?

Whatever it is, Michael wouldn't have approved of it and would have rerecorded amazing vocals(if he ever even would have used these songs), but now that he's gone I think it's likely we could hear about everything he recorded. It has happened with most other musical artists that have passed(Lennon, Elvis, J. Cash, Tupac and Biggie).

It would just be nice to see some real detail into the creation of this album, as well. We need some cool behind the scenes stuff for reassurance that these songs were handled in the best way possible, why didn't they record themselves working on the songs in the studio at all?

The vocals - to me - do not sound "processed", like a demo, like "guide vocals", or any of the multiple adjectives used to explain why it sounds like someone else. It flat-out sounds like someone else to me. I don't need evidence to explain what I'M hearing. Maybe its Michael Jackson. If it is great, - but to me, it still sounds like someone else and a horrible song.

this this this...There is nothing else to it...I feel the exact same...

Monster is one of the best on the album in my opinion and I hope it's released as the next single, with 50 promoting it. Get dancers, make an epic dance routine, and perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back