Behind the Mask - Official Discussion Thread

That girl in the background annoys me.
I understand how some people could feel this way. It might be best for them to edit this part out for the radio version. Given that this is a Michael Jackson song, the last voice we hear on the radio should be his and his alone.

It's kind of interesting having the woman sing at the last minute in this song as it's unexpected but I have mixed feelings about it. She doesn't convince me: "she doth protest too much". However, if she were telling the truth, that it's quite a disturbing story being told, and so her painful singing right at the end would be quite fitting. If she is telling the truth, then it reminds me of Shakespeare's Othello. I think the tension in Shanice's contribution highlights the multiple interpretations for the story told in this song.

I like shanice singing in this song! She adds just the right touch to the closing of the song.. Sounds really good to me!

-Dal

I'm not sure what she's doing on the song lol and that really high note she hits at the end just sounds weird and freaky.

She was discovered by John McClain in the early 90's. He is the one who invited her on the song...

I love Shanice. And I think she did great on the song.

That being said, I don't want McClain to ever produce another MJ song. EVER. And I am 100% certain Sony feels the same way. In this case, the song was already finished...but he found a way to stick his name somewhere for producing royalty.

FYI:

@Shaniceonline What is that loooooooooooong note at the end of Behind the mask? Is it : " I love you miiiiiiiiiiiichael...?

@Shaniceonline: @Mememeow1 Yes I said I love You Michael LOL

Last edited:
I listened to 2 Bad ten minutes ago and I noticed something familiar in the ending of the song. Then I listened to Behind The Mask and there it was: "I don't waaanna talk about it" sounds exactly the same in both songs.

Listen to 2 Bad at 4:44 and Behind The Mask at 4:32.

I listened to 2 Bad ten minutes ago and I noticed something familiar in the ending of the song. Then I listened to Behind The Mask and there it was: "I don't waaanna talk about it" sounds exactly the same in both songs.

Listen to 2 Bad at 4:44 and Behind The Mask at 4:32.

Yes, I noticed that...And, you can easily tell because Michael's voice gets a tad deeper, sounds a bit more mature when they threw that ad lib in...But it works lol

I understand how some people could feel this way. It might be best for them to edit this part out for the radio version. Given that this is a Michael Jackson song, the last voice we hear on the radio should be his and his alone.

You guys are all sooo picky. No other voices should be on MJ songs. No middle part in HT, no "I love you .... " screaming on BTM ending.
You do remember that MJ voice wasn't always alone in the past. to me it fits great.
there are other things that should we whinge about.

Back