Behind the Mask - Official Discussion Thread

Not as unnecessary as the "how ya doin?" part.

Still, minor gripes on an otherwise gem of a song.

I love the live part. It shouldn't work but really does.

Shanice's howl should go though!

I love the live part. It shouldn't work but really does.

Shanice's howl should go though!

I like how it fades, where it sounds like MJ and Shanice are argueing, "lets talk about it" "I don't wanna talk about it" etc.

I say keep the howl and leave the live part.

I like how it fades, where it sounds like MJ and Shanice are argueing, "lets talk about it" "I don't wanna talk about it" etc.

I like the 'don't wanna talk about it' bit, it's just the howl that goes OTT.

Still BTM is worth the price of 'Michael' alone. The fact that you also get HT, AD & MTS overshadows all the other crap for me. I wasn't expecting to get a few songs that I really, really liked

Still BTM is worth the price of 'Michael' alone.

Undoubtedly.

I never thought there would be two songs on "Michael" worthy of being in my top 20 MJ songs. BTM and HT are both worthy, and I'm not just saying that because they're fresh and new - I was never this enthused by a single track from Invincible.

Love this part, too. I can live with the live part, but it really doesn't need it.

The fading part I totally agree with! I love the feel of it...

And is she really singing "I love you Michael" at the end???

I didn't think so until I saw someone ask that. Now I do hear it. I tell myself it isn't true though. I fear it would ruin it.

And is she really singing "I love you Michael" at the end???

Is that what you hear? It doesn't sound like she's singing anything, to me...Just shrieking lol....

EDIT: Now that I really listen, yeah, it sounds like that ....oh man...lol

Last edited:
Based on the positive response to this song in forums such as this one and the many favorable reviews from music critics, I REALLY hope it will get released as a single. I know Sony/the Estate wanted to emphasize Michael's most recent work with this current project, but this song is a classic IMO and could really help to "fix" some of the public relations issues. And while some feel it's not "radio friendly", I think Sony/the Estate need to take a different approach with this album now given all of the controversy. What do they have to lose?

Based on the positive response to this song in forums such as this one and the many favorable reviews from music critics, I REALLY hope it will get released as a single. I know Sony/the Estate wanted to emphasize Michael's most recent work with this current project, but this song is a classic IMO and could really help to "fix" some of the public relations issues. And while some feel it's not "radio friendly", I think Sony/the Estate need to take a different approach with this album now given all of the controversy. What do they have to lose?

You know, I think you might be right.

I do think the sax solo and intro needs to go (I don't mind it, but it detracts from the otherwise contemporary feel of the song).

I think BTM could be a big hit, particularly in Europe. It's the ONLY song on the album which has had unanimous praise even from the harshest of critics.

Unfortunately I can't see them releasing it as a single and I think it will just go down as another missed opportunity. :no:

Dirty Diana has live crowd noise in it. I don't think it does BTM any harm.

^
But the crowd samples compliments Dirty Diana - a song about groupies - perfectly. It seems out of place on BTM, just lifted from the much-milked Bucharest show.

Looks like BTM is going to be 2nd single in France, parallel to HT. they should release it also in Italy, cause Italy loves Michael. If you remember almost all of the "visionary" singles went no1. Don't know about HMH what position it got.
I'm not italian, but think it's good idea.
I think sony is testing the water to see how it does. And maybe do a worldwide as 3rd release.

hey ive got a question. the last sec who sings the high notes? a girl?

Shanice 'I Love Your Smile' Wilson.

The big question is, is the last line just a howl or is it 'I love you Michael'?

Not as unnecessary as the "how ya doin?" part.

Still, minor gripes on an otherwise gem of a song.

Each to its own, but for me her voice doesn't fit the song, nor Michael's voice. She comes it too powerful, and at the end totally disconnected from the whole song. The producers added her voice to put a flavor to the song but lacks a natural flow. Song is great, having her voice didn't make the song better, in matter of fact for me it ruined (when I heard for the first time her voice, I asked my self where did she come from). But as I said each to its own. Some people love it.

I can't wait for a Behind the Mask video.

Hope it is something like Who Is It.

Shanice 'I Love Your Smile' Wilson.

The big question is, is the last line just a howl or is it 'I love you Michael'?

It sounds like she's singing "i love you michael"

As much as I do really love the version on 'Michael', I prefer the Greg Phillinganes version because of the original music. There's a mix on youtube where Michael's vocals have been put to the original music and its great. I just feel that there's something missing when I listen to the 'Michael' album version...

Back