Productions & Guest Appearances

Greg Phillinganes

Jackie co-wrote and arranged Playin' With Fire from Greg Phillinganes' 1984 album Pulse. The song was also on the soundtrack of the movie Touch And Go released in 1986.

Last edited:
Re: Greg Phillinganes

DuranDuran, as long as you and I have been around this forum, this is the first time I've actually looked at this thread. Very interesting, many/most of the songs I had no idea included either Michael and/or his brothers. Thanks for taking the time for these posts through the years. It gives more insight into what the brothers participated in outside of the J5.

Last edited:
Johnny Mathis

Love Never Felt So Good was written by Mike, Kathy Wakefield, & Paul Anka and released in 1984. Kathy was also a staff writer at Motown during the 1960's and 1970's and has co-written songs by The Jacksons.

Last edited:
Finished Touch ?~ New Frontiers

Jermaine co-wrote this 1978 song by the group Finished Touch with Maureen Bailey & Michael McGloiry and he also plays bass on it.

Dave Mason

Mike sings background on Dave Mason's 1980 song Save Me.

Brand Nubian

Rebbie sings the hook on Let's Dance by Brand Nubian & Busta Rhymes, released in 1998

Jimmy Cliff

LaToya co-wrote 2 songs (Brown Eyes, American Sweet) on Jimmy Cliff's 1985 album with Kevin Bell. Kevin (aka Amir Bayyan) is the brother of a couple of members of Kool & The Gang.

Patti Austin

Jermaine co-wrote Let It Ride which appears on Patti Austin's 1979 album Live At The Bottom Line

I've been meaning to say this for a loooong time....Damn Duran! You da bomb! :D
You know your stuff or you're very good at researching, or both.

Thanks for enlightening me. Songs and artists that I'm very familiar with
but hadn't given much thought to the "behind the scene" so to speak. Thanks for the postings.

BTW, love me some Ralph Tresvant. ;)

Last edited:
Why does it seem.. (outside of MJ) that the work the Jacksons did on other artists music better than there own? lol

but hadn't given much thought to the "behind the scene" so to speak. Thanks for the postings.

Absolutely :punk: Duran is a musical encyclopedia :) and it shows not only in this thread but in sooo very many others.

I was familiar with some of the songs posted here, some are among my very favorites of all time, but I definitely need to catch up on the rest of 'em when I'll have the time. Great, awesome thread :clapping:

You're welcome

Livin' Proof - Let's Stay Together

Tito co-wrote and plays guitar on this 1978 song by the group Livin' Proof.
tumblr_oerd57VNhv1rw606ko1_r4_540.jpg

Yeah

Mike & Janet sing on this song from Eddie Murphy's 1992 album Love's Alright
Here's the full list of acts:

Piano: Herbie Hancock

Bass: Stanley Clarke

Harmonica: Stevie Wonder

Drum programming: David Allen Jones, Trenton Gumbs

Vocals: Babyface, Sandi Barber, Jon Bon Jovi, Garth Brooks, En Vogue, Johnny Gill, Amy Grant, Aaron Hall, MC Hammer, Heavy D, Howard Hewitt, Julio Iglesias, Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Patti LaBelle, Emmanuel Lewis, Paul McCartney, Eddie Murphy, Teddy Pendergrass, Richie Sambora, Luther Vandross, Audrey Wheeler, Barry White, Stevie Wonder

Rita Coolidge 1983

Jermaine duets with Rita Coolidge on We've Got Tonite from her 1983 album Never Let You Go. He also does background vocals on Shadow In The Night from the same album, but it's not on Youtube

Method Man - Message From Penny

Janet did this skit/interlude on Method Man's 1998 album. Penny is the name of Janet's character on Good Times.

Last edited:
Ice Cube & Shaquille O'Neal ~ We Be Ballin'

Mike sang the hook on this remix of Ice Cube's 1998 single We Be Clubbin', which is titled We Be Ballin'.

Master Mix
Street Mix

Lovesmith

Jermaine & his wife at the time Hazel were the executive producers on Lovesmith's 1981 self titled album. Jermaine also co-wrote The Best Of (0:00 - 3:32 on the video) with group member Michael L. Smith.

Last edited:
Oops, Oh No!

LaToya sang on this 1986 single by disco musician Cerrone

This Time

Opera singer Kathleen Battle does vocals on Janet's 1993 song This Time

Lillie Nicole McCloud ~ Crus'in

Tito co-wrote, plays acoustic guitar, & sings on this 2015 song. Taj Jackson is one of the other writers

Re: Joe King Carrasco & The Crowns ~ Don't Let A Woman (Make A Fool Out Of You)

Mike is singing backup on this 1982 tune from Joe King Carrasco

I'm sure MJ isn't on this version of the track but there is a version where he clearly sings the chorus, I heard it before.

Howard Johnson ~ All We Have Is Love

Jermaine co-produced this 1985 song with John McClain & Howard Johnson. It's on Howard's album called The Vision.

Last edited:
There are several questions regarding Michael's contributions.

• Michael sing backing vocals on thos three Doobie Borthers songs from Minute by Minute or not?
  • Is his contribution to Quincy's album The Dude limited to one title track, or is there more (I heard he uncredited was on two more songs)?
  • Michael sings backing vocals in Gregg's version of Behing the Mask?
  • Is Michael singing in final cut Girls Girls Girls or Girls Girls Girls Pt. 2 (from Jay-Z) or the version with his vocals has really not been released? The opinions are different.
  • Michael wrote song Woop-T-Woo for Olivia album or was it other Michael Jackson (homonym)?

Not 100% sure about any.

- Doobie Brothers: There's that video where MJ sings on the phone to Elizabeth Taylor and says he's singing in those songs, but if you pay attention to the lyrics that he mentions to Elizabeth and then listen to songs, it's obviously not him singing. I could confuse his voice on the line "Mintute by minute by minute"...
But I remember reading it's just someone randomly singing more in a similar tone.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/doobie-brothers-michael-jackson-debunked

I only listened briefly to 2 of the 3 remoured songs right now.

- The Dude: According to Discogs credits which seem rather extensive, only title track: https://www.discogs.com/Quincy-Jones-The-Dude/release/2761237

- According to Discogs again: no , https://www.discogs.com/Greg-Phillinganes-Pulse/release/152458
Though, Discogs mentions Richard Page, who I don't know so I just listened to one of his 80s tracks...
And re-listening closely to Behind the Mask with good headphone... it's confusing. I would say the Vocoder voice is not MJ pronounciation, but there are some "he he", "aouw" and "doo doo doo doo" that sound very confusing. Could be Michael for me.
Something else that confuses me is that I don't remember Michael going "he he" and "aaaouw" and those stuff before... the Bad Tour? (maybe I don't know the Victory Tour well enough).
Then watching the 1985 video for Behind the Mask, it seems like it's clearly Greg doing the "he he", "aaouw".... the "doo doo doo" is still confusing to me...

- Jay-z: Discogs says no again: https://www.discogs.com/Jay-Z-The-Blueprint/release/251894
I don't really know those songs, but from one listen, didn't spot MJ.

- Olivia: No idea, I don't think it sounds anything like a MJ songs, but he would have only co-written it... Almost no info to be found.

Searching about Woop-T-Woo it I found this list: https://norwegiancharts.com/showperson.asp?name=Michael+Jackson
Which has some unexpected titles... trying to spot MJ homonyms...
But it's actually a treasure source of mind****ing titles I never heard about... I'm not sure if my brain will come out undamaged after this exploration...
"Let's dance" ... I finally got it, it's sampling (or partly covering not sure) "Centipede" by Rebbie Jackson.
"Look Back At It": It's definitely a rewrite of some MJ verses (from "You rock my world")
"Monsters you made": ???
"Even": Has words from Remember the Time
Didn't remember clapton covered "Behind the Mask" ...
"Wer Ist So Nice": Part-cover from Michael Trapson??? ... but I don't see where it comes from in MJ's discography ... I supposed it's initially snippets from Billie Jean sung in a unrecognisable way. Or does it come from a remix or so?
"Ik heb een wens" : Dutch rewrite of "Heal the World"
"Machine": Produced by some "Michael Jackson" (1974)
"King Kunta": ???
"Help Het WFP!" : Another Dutch rewrite of "Heal the world"
"Vijf december": A Dutch rewrite of "Can you feel it".
"Kool Savas" (artists name) ... looks like an whole album or so: ???
"Aardsong" : You guessed it, Dutch version of "Earth Song"
"Michael Jackson's Greatest Hits Medley" : Looks like a cover-medley...
*Not sure how far I can continue, I guess my brain is already compromised...*
"Monster" : Huh, I have no idea who sings this ;-)
"Bad afrojack remix": Yeah, the title says it, it's a terrible remix...
"Regen": ??? (Sounds like German?)
"Chumm chly zu mir" : ??? (can't find on YouTube ... sounded promising...)
"Take you away": ??? (sounds like eurodance from the 90s or something ... oh, 2020, sorry but what's the relation with MJ)
"Happy feet 2 opening medley": has Shake your body, and Rythm Nation as well
"Paul Anka - The way you make me feel" 2004: (Had never heard about it, seriously...)
"B. Projekt": Contains music from Billie Jean
"Dance & shout" :

Last edited:
Back