Did anyone else think that Prince seemed angry?

I work as a school psychologist and therefore know quite a lot about children’s grieving process. A parent’s death is the biggest loss a child can face, especially if they don’t have another parent in their lives. No matter what kind of a relationship the child had with the parent, it is never easy to come in terms with parent’s death. Unlike adults however, children usually are not able to spend all day mourning and actually it would be detrimental to their development. Children’s sorrow often consists of briefer moments of sadness that appear between more carefree times of playing and laughing. It may be difficult for the mourning adult relatives to see children occasionally smiling and playing like nothing had happened, but it is extremely important for their mental health. They need these kind of moments of relief to be able to cope with the enormous loss they have faced. These carefree moments don’t mean that children have forgotten their parents or that they are not grieving them.

Unlike many people think, crying is only one of many possible reactions children can have to a loss like this. Other very common reactions are for excample numbness, guilt, anger, irritability, restlessness, denial, avoidance, somatic pains, sleep and eating problems, fears, etc. Sometimes even a total lack of reaction can be seen. Even that can’t be taken as a sign of children not grieving their parents, quite the opposite. Lack of reaction usually means either that the child is not yet ready to accept the reality of their parent’s death or that they are trying to protect other people from their pain. I think both of these can explain why Prince behaved in a way that many fans found difficult to understand. According to LaToya (if we are to believe that interview) Prince cried at the hospital but hasn’t cried since then, although she has told him it is okay to cry and would actually want thim to cry. I think it is possible that the emotions Prince faced at the hospital were too strong for him to handle, and he has therefore tried to avoid them afterwards by trying to process Michael’s death on intellectual rather than emotional level. It is also possible that he doesn’t want to burden the family any more with his grief, because he sees them suffering so much already. That is very typical for children who are sensitive to other people’s feelings. That is why I am also happy if the family has hired a grief counsellor to help the children, like LaToya apparently said. An outsider is often needed in situations like this, because it is difficult for the family to help the children to cope before they have themselves come in terms with the situation.

I’ve seen many fans saying how Prince is strong and how he would make Michael proud, but more than anything, I hope that he can give up a need to be strong in a moment like this. After Michael’s death I have been thinking that his biggest mistake may have been that he didn’t let others see how much he was suffering but instead was trying to appear strong on the outside. I don’t want that to happen to Prince. Being strong doesn’t help him to get over this. He is a child who has faced a loss none of us could even imagine. It is not a child’s responsibility to be mature and comfort others. It is the adults who need to be strong and give comfort to Michael’s children. I think Paris’ behavior at the memorial demonstrates this beatifully. I mean, we first saw her singing, comforting and hugging Blanket almost like she was his mother. She seemed very strong and mature, but when she started speaking, it felt like it was her way of telling the world how very much she is still a child in terrible pain due to her daddy’s death and how much she herself needs support from all the people around her.

All children are unique in their grief reactions and we shouldn’t expect all of Michael’s children to behave like Paris did. However, whatever their reactions and emotions are, I hope they feel free to express them to someone, whether it is a family member or a grief counselor. And I hope that family members around them are sensitive enough to understand that if children avoid talking about their father’s death, that doesn’t mean that they are strong or have “got over it”. True strength can only be achieved after a long and painful grieving process, it is nothing you can see from outside behavior.

I am 100% behind you in everything you've stated. I have nothing to say because you said it all. Though I do not work with children, I do work in psychiatry in mental health and addiction, so I tend to have a lot of conversations in terms of counselling adults.

I don't believe the article from LaToya. After all, it was printed in the Daily Mail (come on people.) I do believe however that the family has hired a grief counsellor which I think is a brilliant idea.

I don't believe the article from LaToya. After all, it was printed in the Daily Mail (come on people.) I do believe however that the family has hired a grief counsellor which I think is a brilliant idea.
Apparently the original version was in News of the World. That is slightly different from the Daily Mail version, but it is impossible to say whether any interview actually took place since there is no video. They did have one photo of her, in which she seems to be crying while speaking or giving an interview (I can't say for sure, whether it is a new picture). But even if the interview took place, it is of course typical for the tabloids to add some "extra" to make it juicier. I have to admit though that I found descriptions of Michael's children's behavior following his death very touching, and I actually hope that this part of the interview has some truth in it, whether LaToya actually said these things or not.I don't post it here, because it is a tabloid and like I said, I don't know if I should believe it. The article can still be found in their web page though.

Thanks for that MJs soulmate... that was an interesting read. Puts everything in perspective too. I have to say I was pretty relieved to see Jackie and Rebbie go up to Prince and hug him, they could obviously see that he was only trying to act strong.

Facebook fan sites for the children?? Are you kidding me?! People have seen their grief on tv and that makes them a celebrity now...? They are way too young for this.

Rockin I'm totally with you. I've been complaining to shut down Facebook fan sites for those kids, let alone not buying all the crap written about them. Michael wanted his kids protected, and we as fans need to do the same. I try not to involve myself in conversations on this board about them, though I understand some people need to talk about it. But for me, from a Michael stand point, we're not all perfect, but I really wish we could leave his kids alone.

He has fans on youtube and yahoo answers as well.. but they're mainly 12 year old girls and their messages are usually "OMGOMG HE'S SO HOT!!!!! LOLOLOLOL".

I'm not actually exaggerating when I say that..

^LOL. Omgosh.lol. Yes he is at that age already too. A tough age and time for him all around. May God bless him and uphold him.

Lol...oh God..
He has fans on youtube and yahoo answers as well.. but they're mainly 12 year old girls and their messages are usually "OMGOMG HE'S SO HOT!!!!! LOLOLOLOL".

I'm not actually exaggerating when I say that..

I liked the way he was eating that chewing gum. Jut like his dad:p

that made me 'awwww' while watching the memorial.

Prince:'gum...feel my frustration and grief' lol

is just me or I see Michael's distinct personalities on his 3 kids

Prince - seems the strong-sophisticated boy like his dad

Paris - shy-sensitive type

Blanket - well they say he dances like his dad lol

actually blanket is the sensitive one. paris is the strong stubborn one. lol and prince is the most like his dad when he was younger...very outgoing and friendly

actually blanket is the sensitive one. paris is the strong stubborn one. lol and prince is the most like his dad when he was younger...very outgoing and friendly

lol, true that.

"Why dont you like Star Wars, Episode 2?"

Prince - "Because its boring and slow!"

:clapping::punk:

GUYS BREAKING NEW JUST IN!!!!

my 8 year old cousin admited she has a crush on prince and when i said why she goes "omg his soooo hot!!!" ,,,,,holy mother of cow lol,,,,its the dawn of the new generation and its freaky lmao

GUYS BREAKING NEW JUST IN!!!!

my 8 year old cousin admited she has a crush on prince and when i said why she goes "omg his soooo hot!!!" ,,,,,holy mother of cow lol,,,,its the dawn of the new generation and its freaky lmao

LOL.. love it!

Way to make us fans feel old! While we're going after the father, all the kiddies are making their moves on Prince :lol:

To me he's still that little kid from LWMJ. Damn.. it's scary to think that he'll be a teenager next year :bugeyed

^ :lol:

You have to admit though, Prince (as well as his brother and sister) are following daddy's steps regarding hotness :innocent: :lol:

Sorry, I know this is the least important right now, just wanted to smile a bit.

Back