Article: Michael Jackson wanted the role of Professor Xavier in X-Men and met with producers in 1999

DuranDuran;4300052 said:
So you can buy John Wayne playing Genghis Khan (who was a real person) in The Conqueror?

I hope I don’t hurt anyone’s feelings here, but that’s not particularly good acting. At least not in the sense that it lets you forget that you’re watching an actor pretending to be someone else.

E. A. P.

^^The drug part is not really important, whether it's true or not. Poe marrying his teen cousin is true and that part that would be used by anti-Mike people if such a movie had existed. Poe's wife cannot be ignored if it's a biopic. It's like people talking about R. Kelly writing the song Age Ain't Nothing But A Number for Aaliyah's 1st album.

DuranDuran;4300058 said:
^^The drug part is not really important, whether it's true or not. Poe marrying his teen cousin is true and that part that would be used by anti-Mike people if such a movie had existed.

The anti-MJ brigade would use anything against him anyway. Remember, he never did anything? So they made stuff up to use against him. Besides, it wouldn’t fit the “boys” narrative.

Movies are movies. If you start using a movie character’s actions against the actor, that’s going to be interesting.

And as far as I know – correct me if I’m wrong – Poe’s marriage was legal at the time.

You’re also moving the goal post in your argument. A couple of posts earlier in the thread you did mention the drug story as a problem. ;)

It really doesn't matter if it was boys or girls. at the end of the day people will see him marrying a underage kid. michael had friends who was boys and girls.

ScreenOrigami;4300059 said:
The anti-MJ brigade would use anything against him anyway. Remember, he never did anything? So they made stuff up to use against him. Besides, it wouldn’t fit the “boys” narrative.

Movies are movies. If you start using a movie character’s actions against the actor, that’s going to be interesting.

And as far as I know – correct me if I’m wrong – Poe’s marriage was legal at the time.

You’re also moving the goal post in your argument. A couple of posts earlier in the thread you did mention the drug story as a problem. ;)
I only mentioned it because Mike said he was concerned about being seen as homosexual in A Chorus Line. I didn't say it was important. So if Mike was worried about his image for A Chorus Line, then Poe seems like an odd choice to me, even if Poe was black. It can also imply that being seen as a drug addict is better than being seen as a homosexual. It doesn't matter if was the marriage was legal then. Today's cancel culture generation often judge stuff from the past with current ideas.

If Burt Reynolds played Poe, the media or the general public are unlikely to make any comment about Burt or linking it to his personal life. Burt has not had similar accusations or constant media coverage about it. It's likely they would if Woody Allen played the role.

Michael was a JW and a heterosexual man. even if did he did that play one how would that work if he was heterosexual and two it wouldn't be a good idea because of his faith. also this Poe thing role when was it suppose to taken place because michael was on drugs for his head and sleeping. so even if michael played Poe he would look like a drug addict depends what year it was.

so i agree with all duranduran comments here. some actors should be able to choose what role they want to play. they shouldn't be force and be respectful.

Michael was a JW and a heterosexual man. even if did he did that play one how would that work if he was heterosexual and two it wouldn't be a good idea because of his faith.
Straight actors & actresses play homosexuals all the time and vice versa. He didn't say anything about turning down the role because of the JWs in the comment he made.

Straight actors & actresses play homosexuals all the time and vice versa. He didn't say anything about turning down the role because of the JWs in the comment he made.

Oh wow. i didn't know that. and you're sure? because that what people keep saying. if michael didn't turn down the role because he was a JW then why he turn it down then? i can't think of any other reason why? so i'm confuse.

NatureCriminal7896;4300066 said:
Oh wow. i didn't know that. and you're sure? because that what people keep saying. if michael didn't turn down the role because he was a JW then why he turn it down then? i can't think of any other reason why? so i'm confuse.

Michael Jackson Over His Doubts About ‘Chorus Line’ Female Impersonator Role
by
Marilyn Beck June 18, 1979
off-the-wall-300x292.jpg

Those musical stars, The Jacksons, head to the recording studios next month to cut an LP, “which will be much better, much more creative than ‘Destiny,‘” says Michael Jackson. “We’ve learned a lot since we made that.”

Michael doesn’t want to put the rap on the “Destiny” disc – which has already turned platinum. But he explains, “We didn’t have a chance to be as creative on it as we would have liked. We were rushed. We were pressured. It was the first album we wrote – and we had to prove to the Epic people we could write, had to rehearse all the songs for them. Now the pressure is off. We don’t have to prove anything anymore.”

Michael also has a solo album coming out this month which was produced by Quincy Jones and features three original songs by Jackson, plus tunes especially penned for him by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder.

And he’s set to star in the film translation of “A Chorus Line” – playing the dancer who got his start as a female impersonator.

The last time we chatted, he said he wasn’t sure if he would accept the role, explaining with candor, “If I do it, people will link me with the part. Because of my voice, some people already think I’m that way – homo. Though I’m actually not at all.”

Now he reports his reservations about the portrayal have been swept away.

Says the Jackson brother who made his acting debut in “The Wiz,” “I saw ‘Chorus Line’ again with director Sidney Lumet (who’ll be helming the Universal film) and I love the part. It’s dramatic, emotional – and if you have any feelings at all, it has to touch you.”

DuranDuran;4300068 said:
Michael Jackson Over His Doubts About ‘Chorus Line’ Female Impersonator Role
by
Marilyn Beck June 18, 1979
off-the-wall-300x292.jpg

Those musical stars, The Jacksons, head to the recording studios next month to cut an LP, “which will be much better, much more creative than ‘Destiny,‘” says Michael Jackson. “We’ve learned a lot since we made that.”

Michael doesn’t want to put the rap on the “Destiny” disc – which has already turned platinum. But he explains, “We didn’t have a chance to be as creative on it as we would have liked. We were rushed. We were pressured. It was the first album we wrote – and we had to prove to the Epic people we could write, had to rehearse all the songs for them. Now the pressure is off. We don’t have to prove anything anymore.”

Michael also has a solo album coming out this month which was produced by Quincy Jones and features three original songs by Jackson, plus tunes especially penned for him by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder.

And he’s set to star in the film translation of “A Chorus Line” – playing the dancer who got his start as a female impersonator.

The last time we chatted, he said he wasn’t sure if he would accept the role, explaining with candor, “If I do it, people will link me with the part. Because of my voice, some people already think I’m that way – homo. Though I’m actually not at all.”

Now he reports his reservations about the portrayal have been swept away.

Says the Jackson brother who made his acting debut in “The Wiz,” “I saw ‘Chorus Line’ again with director Sidney Lumet (who’ll be helming the Universal film) and I love the part. It’s dramatic, emotional – and if you have any feelings at all, it has to touch you.”

oh okay. now i understand.

because he didn't want to do it? Its not that deep.

DuranDuran;4300062 said:
I only mentioned it because Mike said he was concerned about being seen as homosexual in A Chorus Line.

DuranDuran;4300065 said:

Michael Jackson was being raised in a family where homosexuality was considered sinful and reprehensible.

If he played that homosexual role from the ‘A Chorus Line’ film, he knew that this would exasperate his family and especially the patriarch of the Jackson family Joe Jackson.

Also, the fact that Michael Jackson used to strictly adhere to the Jehovah's Witnesses’ beliefs at that time, this apparently also made him turn down that particular homosexual role of that film (even though he did not publicly address that when he was asked about the reasons for turning down that role during that period).

That is because Michael Jackson was fully aware that this particular religion condemned homosexual image, behaviour and lifestyle of their members, and he feared that leaders from that religion would ostracize him if he played that homosexual role of that film.

DuranDuran;4300065 said:

No, he didn’t. All I said was that his being a JW might have complicated the situation for him, especially out of respect for his mother. People don’t usually lay their entire train of thought open in interviews. Katherine once said in a TV interview: “He’s not homosexual. It’s against his religion.” And he left the JW because he felt it limited what he could do in his art. I can find the sources later, if anyone has doubts.

I find it interesting to see how strong the opinions on this forum are about MJ’s acting plans (or rumors thereof). He did an amazing job in The Wiz when he was 19–20 years young, without any formal acting training. He did an amazing job in all of his short films. And I’m sure whatever film and role he would have chosen to do would have turned out great as well because he would have worked hard to get it right.

Personally, I would have loved to see all these films, except maybe for that slavery movie, but that’s mostly because I don’t see much acting talent in his brothers at the time. As far as I recall, those movie plans came up after their first Africa tour where they had visited all those historical places, the slave trade market etc. That must have left a very strong impression on the family, to connect so deeply with their peoples’ history. They talked about the experience a lot in interviews.

The post DuranDuran just post said it was because he didn't want people to see him as a homosexual. there was rumor that made him not wanna do the role. if michael didn't want to the role he didn't have to. that was his right whatever he didn't want to do it or he was a JW. anyway, i'm gonna end this topic because we all have our own beliefs and opinions.

I haven't seen the whole movie the wiz but i have seen clips. i said once i get a chance i'm gonna watch the whole movie and review it. my mom saw it alot of times. she loves it. one of her favorite movies.

we all have our opinions. but me and mother both agree that michael was a great actor. he should of acted more. he could of even been a voice actor. he was always busy so he would of never really be able to acted if he want it to due to his music, tours, having a life, etc.

i wish he did. by the way the wiz was trending on twitter a few days ago and i saw alot of good reviews and comments.

so i guess that's saying people likes this movie.

it's really sad this movie didn't get all the promotion it need it back in the 70's. :no: it's kind of funny and good how it gets much appreciated today.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the whole movie the wiz but i have seen clips. i said once i get a chance i'm gonna watch the whole movie and review it. my mom saw it alot of times. she loves it. one of her favorite movies.

we all have our opinions. but me and mother both agree that michael was a great actor. he should of acted more. he could of even been a voice actor. he was always busy so he would of never really be able to acted if he want it to due to his music, tours, having a life, etc.

i wish he did. by the way the wiz was trending on twitter a few days ago and i saw alot of good reviews and comments.

so i guess that's saying people likes this movie.

it's really sad this movie didn't get all the promotion it need it back in the 70's. :no: it's kind of funny and good how it gets much appreciated today.

I remember reading that Michael wanted to do some movies in the interim time between Thriller and Bad but the Victory project got in the way that.

The Wiz is really cool. I have the DVD, but I read on Twitter that it’s available on many streaming platforms by now. I think you can even rent it on YouTube. It’s especially fun to watch knowing that MJ had such a great time making it, living in New York and all that. Many scenes of the movie are shot on famous locations in New York. It’s really something special. :)

I think the scarecrow in the wiz was a great role for michael. not to mention he was young and carefree during this era. he seems more happier. :)

yes i heard that alot. i think peter pan and edward scissorhands. he played captain eo around 86'.

looking back at this post. i think Michael as edward scissorhands would had been an great role for him. it's glad to know he also loved it the movie. he owned a pair of the scissorhands. :D

Seems that his strong desire to immortalize himself on the big screen is one of the things that got him into deep trouble in the early 90s.

This blog has some very interesting articles on all of that. Including insights about why Michael changed all of his management at that time, why the Peter Pan movie and others never happened, why David Geffen might have played and might still play a role in destroying Michaels reputation etc.
https://vindicatemj.wordpress.com/category/project-m-for-michael-jackson/

It's several articles - all a bit excessively long, but worth the read.
I recommend reading all in that "Project M" category list starting with the oldest.

No 100% proof for anything of course, but it digs up some evidence, connects dots and paints a picture that makes sense.

Last edited:
looking back at this post. i think Michael as edward scissorhands would had been an great role for him. it's glad to know he also loved it the movie. he owned a pair of the scissorhands. :D

Given what happens to Edward in that movie and what happened to Michael in real life, that movie would have been eerily prophetic. >.>

Given what happens to Edward in that movie and what happened to Michael in real life, that movie would have been eerily prophetic. >.>

you're right. but that was years before the lies came out. not to mention in the leave me alone short film the newspaper says michael frozen for 50 years. that's crazy. but he loved the movie though.

Seems that his strong desire to immortalize himself on the big screen is one of the things that got him into deep trouble in the early 90s.

This blog has some very interesting articles on of all that. Including insights about why Michael changed all of his management at that time, why the Peter Pan movie and others never happened, why David Geffen might have played and might still play a role in destroying Michaels reputation etc.
https://vindicatemj.wordpress.com/category/project-m-for-michael-jackson/

It's several articles - all a bit excessively long, but worth the read.
I recommend reading all in that "Project M" category list starting with the oldest.

No 100% proof for anything, but it connects dots and paints a picture that makes sense.

whoa. i might check these out when i have the time. thanks.

Michael started working on the Steven Spielberg “Peter Pan” movie in mid 1983, according to Mike Smallcombe.

He started composing music for the soundtrack of the movie (songs like “Neverland Landing” or the Peter Pan song that he is singing in the Unauthorized Interview).

Back