Elders React to Top 10 Music Artists of All Time

Re: Elders react to top 10 music artists of all time

Billy Joel sold more albums than Michael Jackson? Wow..

My guess

1. Michael Jackson
2. Michael Jackson
3.Michael Jackson
4.Michael Jackson
5.Michael Jackson
6.Michael Jackson
7.Michael Jackson
8.Michael Jackson
9.Michael Jackson
10.Michael Jackson

:cool:

Michael #7?! Are they ****ing for real?!

MoeJack;4218526 said:

only in the USA

BTW - here is the list of the best selling artists (incomplete) - http://chartmasters.org/2017/10/cspc-data-collector/18/

1. Beatles – 405,737,000 (units) (as of Mar 2017)
2. Michael Jackson – 323,741,000 (as of Sep 2017)
3. Madonna – 241,134,000 (as of Aug 2017)
4. Queen – 238,637,000 (as of Oct 2017)
5. Rolling Stones – 237,135,000 (as of Dec 2016)
6. Pink Floyd – 229,426,000 (as of Jun 2017)
7. Led Zeppelin – 200,459,000 (as of Aug 2016)
8. Elton John – 196,130,000 (as of Feb 2018)
9. U2 – 194,519,000 (as of Aug 2016)
10. Céline Dion – 193,422,000 (as of Sep 2016)
11. AC/DC – 191,030,000 (as of Feb 2018)
12. Eagles – 171,069,000 (as of Dec 2017)
13. Mariah Carey – 167,149,000 (as of Apr 2017)
14. Bruce Springsteen – 157,024,000 (as of Jul 2017)
15. Bee Gees – 156,874,000 (as of Apr 2017)
16. ABBA – 156,623,000 (as of Nov 2016)
17. Eminem – 154,954,000 (as of Aug 2016)
18. Barbra Streisand – 152,498,000 (as of Mar 2018)
19. Whitney Houston – 151,693,000 (as of May 2017)
20. Billy Joel – 146,695,000 (as of Oct 2016)

Ok, this makes WAY more sense!! Wish so badly that Michael would be the absolute number one... (not a fan of the beatles here :/ )

Well MJ still ended up owning the Beatles catalog and that played a part in boosting sales.

Well MJ still ended up owning the Beatles catalog and that played a part in boosting sales.

How? Did it boost the Beatles sales that MJ bought their songs? Why and How? Just currious, never heard that before. :)

Ok, this makes WAY more sense!! Wish so badly that Michael would be the absolute number one... (not a fan of the beatles here :/ )

The Beatles made a lot more albums than MJ, so that probably helped them with album sales.

Maybe, but for whatever reason is, I'd rather see our boy up there as number one lol I know I know, sounds a bit childish yet can't help but think he should be top 1 in all (good) rankings :kickass:

I love the fact that when Michael comes on they're all like "shit gotta make some changes!" lmao

Any of these things that have US sales instead of world sales I don't like.. alters the opinion and thoughts too much..

Probably I get tired of trying to prove Michael was the largest artist that ever lived..

Any of these things that have US sales instead of world sales I don't like.. alters the opinion and thoughts too much..

Probably I get tired of trying to prove Michael was the largest artist that ever lived..

They can try as much as they one but let me tell you: it's not working lol

Any of these things that have US sales instead of world sales I don't like.. alters the opinion and thoughts too much.
If a publication is US based, why would they be talking about worldwide sales? That wouldn't be relevant to a US audience. Does the UK, Brazil, or Korea write a lot about Garth Brooks' sales? Theoretically, a Chinese or Indian artist can have the biggest selling album in history in China or India alone without it selling anywhere else in the world. The US press would not likely write about such an album, and probably not many other countries would either. It's been said that Nana Mouskouri is one of the highest selling singers, but she is little known if at all in the states.

MJ has actually surpassed Billy Joel in the US. This must be an old video because as of August 2018, MJ moved into 6th place for the best selling act in the US.

If a publication is US based, why would they be talking about worldwide sales? That wouldn't be relevant to a US audience. Does the UK, Brazil, or Korea write a lot about Garth Brooks' sales? Theoretically, a Chinese or Indian artist can have the biggest selling album in history in China or India alone without it selling anywhere else in the world. The US press would not likely write about such an album, and probably not many other countries would either. It's been said that Nana Mouskouri is one of the highest selling singers, but she is little known if at all in the states.

I understand what you're saying but the problem is this...

Many times the RIAA release sales figures or achievements and the media act like it's worldwide, so I too object to those lists unless the list makes it very clear that they're talking about the USA only.

A recent example was when the RIAA announced that The Eagles Greatest Hits album had surpassed Thriller as the biggest selling album of all time. The WWW was filled with headlines saying Thriller was no longer the biggest selling album ever, and hardly any mentioned that the figure was for the USA only. Thriller IS STILL the worldwide biggest selling album ever by many, many millions of copies. It's not even close. The media can be very misleading.

MJTruth;4235477 said:
I understand what you're saying but the problem is this...

Many times the RIAA release sales figures or achievements and the media act like it's worldwide, so I too object to those lists unless the list makes it very clear that they're talking about the USA only.

A recent example was when the RIAA announced that The Eagles Greatest Hits album had surpassed Thriller as the biggest selling album of all time. The WWW was filled with headlines saying Thriller was no longer the biggest selling album ever, and hardly any mentioned that the figure was for the USA only. Thriller IS STILL the worldwide biggest selling album ever by many, many millions of copies. It's not even close. The media can be very misleading.
Well, many people think Beyoncé is more successful than Mike and that's not really because of the media specifically saying she is. Beyoncé just gets a lot of media coverage in general in the USA (so does the Kardashians/Kanye West). Then there's the Beyhive. So she never really leaves mainstream consciousness. The US media also talk about Drake, Lil Wayne, Cardi B, & Nicki Minaj breaking records by The Beatles, Elvis Presley, James Brown, & Aretha Franklin. So it's not just talking about somebody beating Mike, just older acts in general.

Beyoncé is highly overrated - mostly just hyped. I get so annoyed when people try to compare her to Michael. I literally can only think of a few songs of hers that I even like. There's just no comparing her to Michael's immense talent/musical ability.

Back