Should the estate be looking to produce a BIOEPIC given the interest in a Freddie Mercury/Elton John

I also think its best to wait several years for all this hype for music bios to calm down. I'd rather them launch this film when the public isn't sick of these music documentaries.
Are there really that many music biopics made for that to happen anytime soon? It's not like westerns pre-1970s or superhero movies for the last 15 years or so. :laughing: Most of them are TV movies/miniseries anyway (like ones for The Osmonds, Whitney Houston, New Edition, Karen Carpenter, The Temptations, TLC, Jackson 5, Aaliyah, Little Richard, etc) or Broadway stage plays (Jersey Boys). Few are made for movie theaters.

Bohemian Rhapsody Becomes Highest-Earning Music Biopic of All Time

by Matthew Strauss Pitchfork
Bohemian-Rhapsody.jpg

The Queen movie Bohemian Rhapsody has become the highest-grossing music biopic of all time, Deadline reports. As of Tuesday, December 18, the film has earned $637,171,628 globally. The previous record-holder was the 2015 N.W.A biopic Straight Outta Compton, which took in $201,634,991 globally, according to Box Office Mojo.

Bohemian Rhapsody also broke records for domestic and international earnings, individually: The film grossed $181 million in North America and $456 million across the rest of the world. Previously, Straight Outta Compton earned $161 million domestically and $40 abroad.

Stan lee apperately said he reckons it would be impossible for anyone to be mj or prince in a bio pic and i agree

As a huge Queen/Freddie Mercury fan, this movie is an absolute disgrace to Freddie Mercury. There were so, so many inaccuracies and a lot of stuff is even fiction. They turned Freddie into the villain of the movie just to serve the story.

I reckon casual fans will like this movie but this was a very shallow, by the numbers, inaccurate, generic biopic. I truly hope that if/when they decide to make a MJ biopic they treat it with more respect than bohemian rhapsody.

As a huge Queen/Freddie Mercury fan, this movie is an absolute disgrace to Freddie Mercury. There were so, so many inaccuracies and a lot of stuff is even fiction. They turned Freddie into the villain of the movie just to serve the story.

I reckon casual fans will like this movie but this was a very shallow, by the numbers, inaccurate, generic biopic. I truly hope that if/when they decide to make a MJ biopic they treat it with more respect than bohemian rhapsody.

I've never really understood this viewpoint of the film tbh. The other members of Queen weren't exactly made out to be saints either and the whole "Freddie was made a villain" angle doesn't really make sense to me. Just because they had an argument in the film about him leaving everyone is taking that angle and it doesn't hold up at all in context with the rest of the movie. He was not made out to be a villain at all. I agree about the time line stuff and the mistakes but to call it a "disgrace" is overreacting at best imo. I agree completely it could have been better and I hope another one is made that is, but yeah I think people are over reacting massively

Last edited:
I'm curious, there are many people against an mj biopic, some for, some are yes with guideline of "only if..."

For those who are apposed to it, are there any of you that would still go see an mj biopic once released even if you prefer it not to be released? Or more on a boycott stance?

I'm curious, there are many people against an mj biopic, some for, some are yes with guideline of "only if..."

For those who are apposed to it, are there any of you that would still go see an mj biopic once released even if you prefer it not to be released? Or more on a boycott stance?

I'm not completely opposed to it. If a biopic is produced, obviously I'd like it to be a good one and I'd like it to be of benefit to MJ's name and legacy, rather than detract from it. I'm just not confident that it would be done well, or that it would do him justice. I think it would be very hard to find a suitable person to play the part of MJ. I'm lukewarm...on the fence....about whether it should be released at all, but if it was, I would go to see it, for sure. I'm a firm believer that if I want to discuss something or have an opinion on it, it is best to have experienced it, first hand.

I would only boycott it if they use a crappy impersonator

Have you all seen that the Estate/Michaels family including the kids want Rami Malek to star as Michael given the success of Bohemian Rhapsody. Katherine apparently and the children think he has the childlike persona of Michael to play him perfectly.
I am very much in agreement with this and I thought when he played Freddie he would be perfect for playing Michael if they can adjust his features to match Michaels in a good way.

Have you all seen that the Estate/Michaels family including the kids want Mark Ramik to star as Michael given the success of Bohemian Rhapsody. Katherine apparently and the children think he has the childlike persona of Michael to play him perfectly.
I am very much in agreement with this and I thought when he played Freddie he would be perfect for playing Michael if they can adjust his features to match Michaels in a good way.

I saw articles about this but it was all in tabloids so I just dismissed it as a rumour.

Yeah idk if theres truth to that story. I did see it though

Please no. I've said it before and idc. Release the Bad tour on film.

Branca said at the meet and greet with UCLA Law students in November that they are working on the script for a biopic.

Branca said at the meet and greet with UCLA Law students in November that they are working on the script for a biopic.

Yeah, didn't he also say they're looking at doing multiple movies as well, but they're waiting for the right time.

Last edited:
Ugh... Meanwhile, Prince is getting a 6-part Netflix documentary, structured around exclusive archival footage and his own voice from past interviews and recordings. That's the kind of thing they should be pursuing for MJ.

We know Michael had so much of his life filmed, that a project like that should be doable. But it'd take a lot of love, care and time - none of which the Estate seem to have. I honestly believe no one will be able to play him convincingly in a biopic, at least not throughout all the different stages of his life.

Ugh... Meanwhile, Prince is getting a 6-part Netflix documentary, structured around exclusive archival footage and his own voice from past interviews and recordings. That's the kind of thing they should be pursuing for MJ.

We know Michael had so much of his life filmed, that a project like that should be doable. But it'd take a lot of love, care and time - none of which the Estate seem to have. I honestly believe no one will be able to play him convincingly in a biopic, at least not throughout all the different stages of his life.

That last part is why multiple movies would probably work better.

Now an Aretha Franklin biopic in the works..

i dont think halie berry wouldve done a good job i just dont see her doing that. Does she even sing?

i dont think halie berry wouldve done a good job i just dont see her doing that. Does she even sing?

Reading on Twitter that Michael's nephews, 3T would like to make their own documentary but this time refuting everything out there that is being claimed in the Sundance documentary. Obviously something like this would cost an absolute fortune so many MJ fans are suggesting a 'just giving' page or something similar. I normally wouldn't get involved in something like this but would make an exception for this just to get some truth out there. Michael has an army of fans and I think it would be wonderful if we got together to do something positive. It would be fitting as we approach the 10th anniversary of his passing.

Why would a rebuttlr documentary cost a fortune? The information is open to the public and high school students make professional quality documentaries all the time with the basic editing gear..

Mike's son is into film production, get on it jackson fam!!

I dont mean this in a back handed way but fully honest, many of the jacksons (not all) have never had issue making money or getting the spot light on Mike's behalf. This is a perfect way to do so, and has a less selfish meaning behind it.

i dont think halle berry wouldve done a good job i just dont see her doing that. Does she even sing?
An actor or actress doesn't really have to sing in a movie. Many biopics have been made with the actor lip syncing to the original recordings like Angela Bassett in the Tina Turner biopic. Halle already played Dorothy Dandridge in a movie, who was an actress and singer. Even in some of those old movie musicals, sometimes it wasn't really the actor singing, it was a professional singer.

An actor or actress doesn't really have to sing in a movie. Many biopics have been made with the actor lip syncing to the original recordings like Angela Bassett in the Tina Turner biopic. Halle already played Dorothy Dandridge in a movie, who was an actress and singer. Even in some of those old movie musicals, sometimes it wasn't really the actor singing, it was a professional singer.

Yes, and like in "Bohemian Rhapsody"..
Rami Malek, lip synching Marc Martel, who's singing as Freddie.

Reading on Twitter that Michael's nephews, 3T would like to make their own documentary but this time refuting everything out there that is being claimed in the Sundance documentary. Obviously something like this would cost an absolute fortune so many MJ fans are suggesting a 'just giving' page or something similar. I normally wouldn't get involved in something like this but would make an exception for this just to get some truth out there. Michael has an army of fans and I think it would be wonderful if we got together to do something positive. It would be fitting as we approach the 10th anniversary of his passing.

ummm i was talking bout aretha franklin movie.............

I think we all know that MJ SHOULD have left behing a HUGE amount of archival footage that could be used to good effect in a similar series as the Prince one announced for Netflix. It could be a fantastic thing to watch or it could be boring as watching paint dry - it would really depend on who decides to take it on and what their focus is going to be. A series like that really needs to identify its purpose and stick to it.
While the MJ's home movies was a reasonably interesting show for me as a young MJ fanatic in the 90s, I never watched it a second time and I can easily see why the majority of any given channel's audience would just skip it.

It's no coincidence that the ONLY people putting out pro-MJ shows/movies in the last decade have been the MJ Estate themselves. It's also no coincidence that of the shows they have released, VERY FEW networks have bought the rights to show it. the Michael Jackson brand is still toxic with TV networks. Nobody wants to show a positive piece on MJ. Sadly too many people have been brainwashed into believing he is guilty of the crimes he's been accused of, and most of the interest in MJ these days does not involve an examination of MJ the world's most successful solo artist, the music video innovator, the philanthropist. Interest in MJ predominantly revolves around those allegations and it probably always will. That's the sad thing about this new Robson/Safechuck documentary. The media and viewing audience have been primed for revelations about MJ through the inaccurate reporting over the last two and half decades, the #metoo movement and of course the "surviving R Kelly" show. It's created a perfect storm for this anti-MJ propoganda and that's why the Robson/Safechuck show could be so much more damaging than anything that has come before.

In '03 to '05 MJ was ultimately awarded an acquittal on all charges, and that counts for something in many peoples' eyes, but now he is not here to defend himself. An acquittal can't happen. A jury can't decide.

This documentary will be a one-sided attempt to destroy Jackson once and full all and this time it might actually succeed.

It's hard to fathom how this can be overcome because the MJ Estate cannot prevent this from being shown.
Even if they wanted to, they surely cannot create their own documentary to counter the claims made by Robson/Safechuck, and even if they did would any broadcaster show it? Probably not!

For now I think the most useful tactic is for the MJ crowd to relentlessly contact people at HBO, Channel 4, and Sundance to vocally object.
Visit message boards, forums, media sites etc to post corrective information. Contact editors to complain about the trash being printed.

One very sad thing I have noticed is how quiet this board is now.

In '03 I think this thread would be many, many pages longer with posts from a far larger number of people. It's clear the fanbase is far smaller now than it was, or at least it's far less vocal.

[QUOTE One very sad thing I have noticed is how quiet this board is now.

In '03 I think this thread would be many, many pages longer with posts from a far larger number of people. It's clear the fanbase is far smaller now than it was, or at least it's far less vocal.][/QUOTE]

TRUTH! ever since mike died this forum has changed so much the atmosphere has changed in a big way its sad

if there *has* to be a movie, I think it should begin with 'the wiz' and end with the grammys in '84.

as good as 'the American dream' was, it was a jacksons story that included Michael. most of it focused on the Motown years on top of that. I have yet to see a movie that documented Michael's journey and growth from the late 70's to the early 80's. whether that be on a personal, professional, or artistic level.

key points to include could be: 'the wiz' - michael being viewed by some at the time as a washed up child star(!) him doing the movie to not only fulfil at lifetime dream of acting, but to prove a point to certain people.. leaving the care of his parents for the first time, to move to new York with sister latoya during filming. partying at studio 54, 'embarrassing' diana ross by learning the routines so quickly, and learning everybody's lines - as well as his own. other actors pulling faces to distract him whilst filming, mispronouncing the word 'Socrates' - which led to his first real interaction with musical director quincy jones, who corrected him.

the anti disco movement, and how that segregated radio/tv stations. working on 'off the wall', and the initial opposition of quincy being 'too jazzy'. Michael firing his father as his manager. the loneliness he experienced during that time - to the point where he would walk the streets at night, looking for someone to talk to. crying at the end of every take of 'she's out of my life'. the inclusion of his self written songs, and how he went about creating the demos. 'off the wall' being the first album to have 4 top ten singles, including 2 number 1 hits. the album eventually staying on the charts for 84 weeks. presenting a more grown up image of michael in a black tuxedo on the album cover, and the video/performances of 'don't stop til you get enough'. Michael's disappointment with it only receiving one grammy in the r&b category, and his promise that it would never happen again..

Michael's image makeover - with the use of makeup, eyebrow shaping, and a curly perm. how this caused him to look exotic and natural at the same time, and blur the lines between gender and race. his adoption of a vegetarian diet due to his love of animals, that cleared up the remains of his teenage acne, caused weight loss which protruded his cheeks and created a more angular facial structure as a result. of course there were his nose operations...

'thriller' - the record industry being in a slump, and michael being angry with the suggestion that the album may not be able to match the success of 'off the wall', let alone surpass it. the dispute over 'billie jean' - from the title, to the length and its inclusion altogether. michael silently composing it in a vehicle, completely unaware that it was on fire! working on the e.t children's storybook simultaneously. being horrified with the first mix of the album. michael taking off from the studio on someone's bicycle, and returning reenergised after watching the children play. eddie van halen hanging up on michael because he didn't believe he was on the other end of the phone, asking for a collaboration.

the effortless diversity of the music that would reach people of all walks of life.

Michael's growth as a songwriter with vivid storytelling that would serve as the catalyst for his visual expressions, as well as offer a glimpse into his personal life and beliefs. writing for diana ross and with paul McCartney as an equal.

'billie jean' and 'beat it' videos revolutionising the young genre, by featuring state of the art technology, cohesive plots shot on location with actors, and mass choreography. Michael's style of dance that blended old Hollywood sensibilities with what was popular with inner city youths . as well as the refining of a self created arsenal of spins, kicks, and various poses and combinations. mtv deciding to add his videos to the playlist, after facing accusations of racism, and the threat of having all of the cbs artists pulled from their playlist. michael paying for the cost of those videos himself, as the record label didn't believe in spending large amounts of money for them.

michael redesigning the family home to add personal touches such as; a mini zoo, movie theatre, candy shop, and arcade game room. being afraid to move out because he would 'die of loneliness'. the isolation that fame caused, to the point that he would rather talk to mannequins due to his distrust of real people taking advantage of him. having to don disguises or surround himself with security guards when in public. trying to recapture his lost childhood with his frequent trips to Disneyland, and friendships with children such as Emmanuel lewis. being described as e.t and peter pan for the first time.

only agreeing to reunite with his brothers for the 25th anniversary concert of Motown, if he could perform 'billie jean' - the only non Motown song on the bill. the legendary performance in which he did the moonwalk for the first time. his initial disappointment with the performance, which quickly vanished after a child told him how good he was. his idol fred Astaire calling him after the show aired to personally praise and congratulate him for his performance. the boosted record sales that came as a result of this.

his guest appearance at a james brown concert - one of his biggest inspirations as a performer.

filming 'say say say' with paul McCartney, and falling in love with sycamore ranch - that he would later use to build neverland.

michael contacting director john landis after being impressed with his horror movie 'American werewolf in london'. the two setting out to create a mini movie, rather than a music video for the final single and title track 'thriller'. the morphing effects, the cutting and rearranging of the song, the dialogue that surrounded it, the monster make up and extended choreography, were all elements that completely broke the mould of the format. michael being forced by the Jehovah's witnesses to put a disclaimer at the beginning of the film. the global premiere, and success of the film not only causing the album sales to skyrocket, but really igniting the industry of the home video cassette.

Michael's look and image becoming popular with children and adult impersonators. through his clothes, action figures, posters and other memorabilia. parents praising him as a role model for his clean lifestyle. michael creating the centre for burned victims after being burnt himself whilst filming a pepsi commercial. the president using the song 'beat it' in a campaign to combat drink driving with teenagers.

and finally, the American music awards where michael had a special award of merit created for him, a tribute performed by barry manilow, and he danced in celebration as he accepted one of 7 awards! the all important Guinness book of world records, where the status of the 'thriller' album was cemented in stone as the biggest selling of all time! the grammys where michael won an unprecedented 8 awards in one night! him bringing up his sisters to share in his glory, and taking off his glasses for a brief moment.

I see this more as a documentary than a movie. luckily most of the footage is available to tell the story, as well as Michael's words to narrate it. anything else can be filled in with dramatizations from silent actors. one of the benefits of focusing on this time period is that there was very little scandal. yet at the same time, I wanted to show the triumphs and sacrifices that come with fame. most of these events were confirmed by michael during his lifetime.

Back