MJ Estate Sues Tohme Tohme / Tohme Countersues / Tohme's Complaint [Merged]

Michael Jackson’s Estate Sues a Former Personal Manager
By BEN SISARIO

Paul Buck/European Pressphoto Agency
Tohme R. Tohme listened to Jermaine Jackson at a news conference announcing the death of Michael Jackson in 2009.
The estate of Michael Jackson has filed a lawsuit against one of Mr. Jackson’s former managers, accusing him of breach of fiduciary duty and seeking to recover some of the pop star’s personal property.

The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court on Friday, accuses Tohme R. Tohme — Mr. Jackson’s personal manager from early 2008 until a few months before his death in June 2009 — of making bad business deals on his behalf and of paying himself large fees in the process.

For example, the suit says that in addition to the 15 percent of gross earnings that most artist managers take in compensation, Mr. Tohme arranged for a retainer of $35,000 a month, plus expenses. Mr. Tohme, who was born in Lebanon and has styled himself a doctor, was described by The Associated Press in a profile as “a financier with a murky past.”

In offering what it says is an example of breach of fiduciary duty, the lawsuit contends that Mr. Tohme did not fully disclose to Mr. Jackson the extent of his business connections with Colony Capital, the real estate investment company that took over his Neverland Ranch in 2008, when the singer was on the brink of insolvency. After introducing Mr. Jackson to Colony, the suit contends, Mr. Tohme claimed a “finder’s fee” of 10 percent of the $24 million refinanced loan on the house as well as a 10 percent cut of any future Neverland sale.

And in a glimpse into his last months, the suit says that Mr. Jackson fired Mr. Tohme “no later than April 14, 2009,” the day after an auction of thousands of Jackson’s personal items from Neverland went on view in Los Angeles; that auction, which had been arranged by Mr. Tohme, was shut down before any sales were made. The suit says that Mr. Tohme still possesses property belonging to the estate.

Mr. Tohme, who was close enough to Jackson’s family and inner circle that he spoke at a news conference at the U.C.L.A. Medical Center announcing the singer’s death, could not be reached for comment.

But the Jackson estate said it planned on hearing from him soon. In a statement on Friday, Howard Weitzman, a lawyer for the estate, said: “We expect Mr. Tohme to file a lawsuit against the estate. We believe the facts will show that Mr. Tohme’s claims are meritless and that Mr. Tohme engaged in wrongdoing with respect to Michael Jackson starting early in their relationship.”

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.c...cksons-estate-sues-a-former-personal-manager/

Re: MJ Estate sues Tohme Tohme

Damm about time... But This Is Also a sad read. All these people just used him. The people who were suppose TO look after him and to have his best interests at heart didnt give a crap and just saw the $$. Tohme is an evil bloodsucker!!

I need to see the complaint first. No media posted it yet and it's not available on court's website. But- remember Tohme is claiming the's owed money. so yeah this seems an action to stop that at least $2.4 M claim.- also MJ art is an element in Mann lawsuit and I think it was reported that Livingstone-Strong has plans to sell them. It seems to be to stop that as well.
thanks.maybe ill get attacked for saying this but why did this go on time after time. mj was screwed over by weisner and co the exactly the same. Power of attorney etc.being signed over. signing contracts without having a lawyer etc. then exactly the same thing happened again with thome. in the scheme of things it doesnt matter anymore its the least of our worries.ill just never understand how someone many claimed was a great biz man did and allowed such things to happen

It was once reported that Michael agreed to do the Bashir interview without an attorney present.
For me there has to be more going on with Michael and his mind to continually be doing this-something wasn't right.

How such a vulture ended up in Michael's circle is beyond me. I still don't understand to this day how Michael just signed over Power of Attorney just like that? I can only imagine the state of mind he was in during that period.

I hope the Estate comes out the winner on this.

This makes me happy, it's truly about time. Take this fool down and please no settlements. Well if some believe that MJ was not mentally stable at times then isn't that what his family is saying? But, it's not like they made things easier Jermaine introduce Tohme to mike smh and the family were always waiting for handouts by MJ. They even wanted to be part of This is it too.

Well if some believe that MJ was not mentally stable at times then isn't that what his family is saying?

I honestly think that he gave people a chance and saw the good in people and trusted them that they would not mess up... then when they DID in fact fuck him over he ditched them (maybe too late sometimes), just like he did with Weisner and Tohme. But yeah like elusive said, this happened several times and you all know "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"... BUT I honestly think he just trusted that these people who worked FOR him would make sure everything worked smoothly and being trustworthy. Thats what you expect of your workers.

Last edited:

^I agree! How was he gonna really know that the next person would also screw him over like the last? He would have no friends or employees if he didn't trust someone sometimes. I just feel really bad...and people wonder why he was paranoid and then some have the nerve to downplay it. Smh

I honestly think that he gave people a chance and saw the good in people and trusted them that they would not mess up... then when they DID in fact fuck him over he ditched them (maybe too late sometimes), just like he did with Weisner and Tohme. But yeah like elusive said, this happened several times and you all know "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"... BUT I honestly think he just trusted that these people who worked FOR him would make sure everything worked smoothly and being trustworthy

yup I agree with you...Michael was very trusting and always tried to give people the benefit of the doubt...but once they crossed him ...he gave them the boot. I am SSOO happy that The Estate is bringing this suite against Tohme....it is LONGGGG in coming..and I hope that he is reviled for the snake in the grass that he really is. Just look at all those dollars figures that he tried to get Michael to be liable for....Michael's friend my ass...he too used Michael for monetary purposes. THIS here is why he let no one around Michael while he was incharge...he wanted NO ONE to get into Michael's ear and tell him what kind of thief Tohme really was. I hope Branca and Mclain make him look like and idiot. Like I said already this is LLONGGG in coming...and if anything it will be a small amount of Justice for Michael. Thome has hidden under his rock for far to long and I STILL believe that he was more involved in what happened to Michael than we know.

Finally!!

I can't believe MJ was tricked into agreing such outrages deals. MJ actually signed and paid Tohme???

So greedy and bad people surrounded MJ in his final years! :(

Hope the estate wins and hope MJ Estate gets back the $900 million art collection!

Michael Jackson's estate files suit against his former manager
February 17, 2012 | 3:54 pm

Michael Jackson’s estate filed suit against his former manager Friday, demanding the return of millions of dollars and accusing him of duping the pop star into an extraordinarily generous compensation package in the years before his death.

The suit asked a Los Angeles Superior Court judge to void agreements that gave Tohme R. Tohme a 15% cut of Jackson’s pay as well as a $35,000-a-month salary and a cut of the sale of the Neverland Ranch.

Tohme, who the suit claims had no background in the entertainment industry, helped negotiate the terms of Jackson’s final doomed comeback attempt, a series of London concerts. After Jackson’s 2009 death, he filed a claim against his estate, saying he was owed at least $2.3 million.

Estate lawyers wrote that it was Tohme who owed Jackson money and asked he be ordered to turn over records of his management of the singer’s affairs.

Tohme declined to comment beyond saying that he was filing his own suit against the estate.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mus...e-files-suit-against-his-former-manager-.html

home has hidden under his rock for far to long and I STILL believe that he was more involved in what happened to Michael than we know.

If he was fired before MJ passed (Juliens auction fiasco) then why did he still have MJ's $5 million and only gave it back to the estate in July after MJ passed?? There is so much more to this man..

ivy;3600514 said:
The suit asked a Los Angeles Superior Court judge to void agreements that gave Tohme R. Tohme a 15% cut of Jackson’s pay as well as a $35,000-a-month salary and a cut of the sale of the Neverland Ranch.

What do the estate want with this suit aside of trying getting back the art collection? What does "void agreements" mean here? Does it mean that the estate only is trying to block his aim of the $2,5 million or are they also somehow trying to get him repay some of the amounts he STOLE from MJ?

Hope the estate wins and hope MJ Estate gets back the $900 million art collection!
Yea I always thought that it was pure B.S that this collection was given to Brett Livingstone Strong just like that... just for helping MJ draw?! o_O I mean no way would he just give 900mil away to thank someone. That's like way to generous even for MJ lol That collection should belong to MJs children and nobody else.

Last edited:

WTH? I said WTfrikkinH?? :blink:
I can't believe Michael would sign all those documents without his lawyer present.

Yeah Estate, shut Tohme's money hungry ass DOOOOWWWNNN! :angry: !

Michael clearly at one point trusted this guy. If he came to Michael with a deal to save his ranch I can see him thinking this guy has my back I don't need a lawyer. ESP if someone like....uh Jermaine was in his ear saying oh yeah Mike he its good he will help ya

Last edited:

Reading this so angered me. While I knew he was a crook, until now had I no idea of the extent he had financially abused and stolen from Michael. I'm so glad the Estate is going after him, and I hope they win this case.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jermaine also made a side deal with this thief, and stood to gain from the monies being funneled from Michael. Why else would Jermaine bring in such a dubious character, with a sketchy past and no history in the music industry to his brother, at a time he was so vulnerable to opportunists? We are talking about a Michael that was trying to rebuild his life after its biggest setback.

Michael was probably the most vulnerable in his adult life during this period, and was easy pray to conmen. I'm sure Tohme promised him the moon and the stars, and Jermaine egged him on. Tohme obviously would have put on a front, causing Michael to trust him at the start. Why did Michael allow Tohme to use him? Because he didn't think or know that Tohme was out to steal from him. Once he knew, Tohme was out. I'm sure, he didn't even read some of the documents in full before signing them. Tohme probably painted a rosy picture of the outcome of the deal, and if Michael was trusting him at the time he would have signed without giving it much thought. It has happened with Michael before in the past.

I didn't know Tohme had a hand in Brett Livingstone acquiring Michael's art. When Michael's stash of art made news, BLS was denying any suggestions that he came to own the art unlawfully, and you know what's stranger? Jermaine was sticking up for him! Jermaine probably had a side deal on that too, with Tohme. Why else would Jermaine get so defensive over BLS, who he had no association with before? I knew back then that BLS was dishonest. I just didn't buy that Michael would gift his entire collection to one outide man, wihout even leaving any for his kids.

I think the Estate should also investigate Jermaine's link to Tohme. It pisses me off, how his family always gets away scott free from the messes they helped create! If it weren't for Jermaine, Tohme wouldn't have been in Michael's life. WTH? It's time they learnt their lessons.

I never believed Michael just gave away his art collection. That made no sense. At the end Michael did try to fix things and have the right people who did care about him like John Branca and Frank. I think he was vulnerable because he went through so much over the years with the trial and everything. It is sad to see how Michael was used and abused by people. If I had the power I would put these people in jail or something.

MICHAEL JACKSON'S EX-MANAGER The Estate Is Screwing Me

Michael Jackson's former manager has filed a lawsuit against the MJ Estate, claiming he saved Michael Jackson after the molestation trial and in return he's been stiffed to the tune of millions of dollars.

Tohme Tohme says he was Michael's Manager from 2008 until shortly before his death. Tohme claims he rehabilitated MJ both financially and personally after the trial, by coordinating media releases and shooting down false and malicious news stories about Michael.

Tohme says he saved Neverland by arranging refinancing, for which he was entitled to $2.3 million.

But the big thing -- Tohme takes credit for suggesting that MJ's final tour would be called, "This Is It." According to the suit, during a discussion with Michael and AEG, Tohme chimed in that Michael selling the name, "This Is It" in a "high-spirited tone" would be a smash.

In addition to the $2.3 mil, Tohme wants 15% of the money Michael made from July, 2008 until the present.

The Estate has already rejected Tohme's claim and even filed legal docs today, claiming Tohme took advantage of Michael and did nothing for him.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/17/michael-jacksons-former-manager-tohme-tohme-estate-lawsuit/

^He needs to go suck Branca's socks. Asshat.

And notice now quiet all of the Jackson’s have been on the subject of Tohme! We have not heard one peep out of any of them concerning this man and his business dealings with MJ. I have a strong feeling and would not be at all surprised if we find out later that Joe, LaToya, Jermaine, and or Randy have business connections with him and a cut of what he was milking MJ for.

^I agree! How was he gonna really know that the next person would also screw him over like the last? He would have no friends or employees if he didn't trust someone sometimes. I just feel really bad...and people wonder why he was paranoid and then some have the nerve to downplay it. Smh

Unless he was under duress or mentally incapacitated...MJ should bear some of the responsibility.

Signing a contract without an attorney present is ridiculous. Especially for someone who's been in the biz all his life.

When it happens over and over and over and over again, i'd say that's the time to think most probably the next one will do the same.

Why did Michael signed these contracts without a lawyer I think it is the same reason why he let Murray put him under Propofol he trusted them both. All of the things Thome said he did with the ranch I am sure he did but he also tried to get away with a lot. I think it was only when that auction made the news did Michael take a look at this guy. And got rid of him

^You do have a point. It could very well be that. When he was introduced to Tohme at the start, Michael would have trusted him. Later on, he may have agreed to thing due to fear for his life or his children's. We'll never know how Michael really felt, because he's no longer here to explain how he got into such a situation.

Now if that was true why did Michael end up firing him anyway? The simple answer is usually the right one Michael trusted the guy and he screwed him period

Unless he was under duress or mentally incapacitated...MJ should bear some of the responsibility.

Signing a contract without an attorney present is ridiculous. Especially for someone who's been in the biz all his life.

When it happens over and over and over and over again, i'd say that's the time to think most probably the next one will do the same.

And who saying he doesn't?

Obviously he paid the price over and over again and I do believe it was because he was proably impaired at times more then anything, other then to much trust perhaps? The ultimate price was on June 25th for trusting the wrong person that resulted in his death. So it's best to focus on the living ones who think they can get away with this. Instead of pointing the finger at MJ who is dead and can't really do anything about it anymore.

MJ fired him but he also changed and beefed up his security force so again I think his involvement with Tohme could have had some elements of fear and intimidation attracted to it.

And even if he did that why are you sure it had anything to do with Thome?

Back