Your Opinion - Could MJ Have Done All Fifty Shows?

Could MJ Have Done All Fifty Shows?

• HELL YES!! He could have done 50 AND MORE! (please explain below)

Votes: 104 21.4%
  • Yeah, I think he was ready for 50, with the breaks here and there. (please explain below)

Votes: 248 51.0%
  • No, he was not healthy enough to do 50 shows. (please explain below)

Votes: 134 27.6%

• Total voters
Nope.

Even with the 2-3 day breaks, Michael's drug dependency was too severe for me to believe that he would've made it through every show. I'd bet money that several dates would be canceled.

Nope.

Even with the 2-3 day breaks, Michael's drug dependency was too severe for me to believe that he would've made it through every show. I'd bet money that several dates would be canceled.

As it was on the Dangerous Tour. He survived that, because of doctors who knew what they were doing.

In my honest opinion, no he coudn't. When I watched This is it he wasn't the same, his dance moves weren't the same, but he was 50 years old and as we ALL get old our moves aren't the same as when we had 20 or 30. That's a reality for everyone. So to me, no he coudn't. I bet that many many dates would be cancelled and the people would say that he wasn't the same Michael from the Bad and Dangerous eras. Of course he wasn't cause he was getting old, that's understandble and he had other problema like sleeping, he had pain in his body for all those years he performed. He coudn't.

DifferentKindOfLady;4276685 said:
In my honest opinion, no he coudn't. When I watched This is it he wasn't the same, his dance moves weren't the same, but he was 50 years old and as we ALL get old our moves aren't the same as when we had 20 or 30. That's a reality for everyone. So to me, no he coudn't. I bet that many many dates would be cancelled and the people would say that he wasn't the same Michael from the Bad and Dangerous eras. Of course he wasn't cause he was getting old, that's understandble and he had other problema like sleeping, he had pain in his body for all those years he performed. He coudn't.

When I first saw the movie I was mesmerized. He wasn’t dancing full out, just like the dangerous tour rehearsals. But doing dance routines like smooth criminal and beat it, even on Billie Jean he showed some serious moves there. I think he still could do it. Yes he was older, but his voice sounded better than ever and when he was dancing “full out” I saw the same Michael again we all knew. Maybe it’s just me, but I got goosebumps when I watched him sing and dance. It was magic for me. I went to the cinema three times.

IMWhizzle;4276728 said:
When I first saw the movie I was mesmerized. He wasn’t dancing full out, just like the dangerous tour rehearsals. But doing dance routines like smooth criminal and beat it, even on Billie Jean he showed some serious moves there. I think he still could do it. Yes he was older, but his voice sounded better than ever and when he was dancing “full out” I saw the same Michael again we all knew. Maybe it’s just me, but I got goosebumps when I watched him sing and dance. It was magic for me. I went to the cinema three times.

He dances extremelly well, don't get me wrong. But to me he was different, he didn't had that sparkle. He seemed tired especially in a scene where he asks for a towel. If you watch that clip with attention he seemed so tired of all that. I really don't think he could do all the fifty shows, many of them would be cancelled.
As for his voice, to me he sounded really good like he always sounded. I was just talking about the dance. Those shows would probably killed him and he knew he wouldn't be able to performance at his highest level forever. He was human and one day he would have to be retired.
I know now it's too late but I used to wonder what kind of stuff he would do if he retired. Maybe he would just sing and non dancing.... Don't know.

I was gonna say no. but from seeing Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire in their 60's. probably yes! if the doctor said he was healthy for other people his age yes. 50 shows? i don't know. i guess with breaks. but i wouldn't say yes. Michael say he wanted to do 10 so.... i guess 10 would have been better for him. if mike was alive today he probably would be up there dancing and still making music like Gene and Fred. it would be amazing to hear how his new music would sound like. i know it would been fire! lol! he would been still blowing up the charts not like he still isn't today. but i got a feelings his music would probably be on the ball. it really hurts we won't never hear how his music would have been today.

If Michael was alive today he probably would be still dancing look at my last post with Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. now if Michael planned to retired I don't think he would of stop making music or maybe touring. later in Prince life he still tour but he didn't dance. even though Prince wasn't much an dancer anyway. I think Michael would be still making music also doing movies because that what he wanted to do with his life. he could of wrote children books which he wanted to do. also probably work with children. though due to the fake lies then and now. i'm not sure would he still of did it.

Michael could of did so much more in this lifetime but sadly a lot people ruin him and didn't like him no reason at all. i really appreciate what all he gave to us when he was still on this earth.

He's a legend and a genius. bless him. :heart:

Yeah and he barely even survived that tour. By the end of the tour his health had badly deteriorated .
With proper care & diet he would have been fine. Don't forget his body was trained from very early age. Your body has muscle memory that will come back quickly when you start your "old routine" again. Does it get more difficult with age: yes, I'm getting 38 in April and I feel I'm not 18, 25 or even 30 anymore.

But when I get back into the gym or other sports I used to do frequently, I'm surprised how quickly things come back in terms of strength, stamina, muscle memory and flexibility. Same with other people I know. And I'm your "average John", not a professional athlete and never trained like one, though I did fair bits of exercise throughout various stages of my life, but nothing competitive except for football (soccer for the US people) when I was in my mid teens at a not very high level.

Doing 2 shows a week when you're properly trained and taking good care of your body nutrition wise is doable, also at age 50. There are artists that have proven so. Not having to travel would've helped a great bit. A world tour such as Bad/Dangerous/History would have been too much probably imho, but a residency he could have pulled off.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Herrie;4276989 said:
With proper care & diet he would have been fine. Don't forget his body was trained from very early age. Your body has muscle memory that will come back quickly when you start your "old routine" again. Does it get more difficult with age: yes, I'm getting 38 in April and I feel I'm not 18, 25 or even 30 anymore.

But when I get back into the gym or other sports I used to do frequently, I'm surprised how quickly things come back in terms of strength, stamina, muscle memory and flexibility. Same with other people I know. And I'm your "average John", not a professional athlete and never trained like one, though I did fair bits of exercise throughout various stages of my life, but nothing competitive except for football (soccer for the US people) when I was in my mid teens at a not very high level.

Doing 2 shows a week when you're properly trained and taking good care of your body nutrition wise is doable, also at age 50. There are artists that have proven so. Not having to travel would've helped a great bit. A world tour such as Bad/Dangerous/History would have been too much probably imho, but a residency he could have pulled off.

You omitted a very important detail about Michael Jackson’s health case, a detail that can invalidate your entire argument here.

I am talking about his insomnia, which at the time reached a point where he practically could not cure it at all.

Even if he got trained and got good body nutrition, his deprivation of sleep would not have allowed him to perform on consecutive days in 2009.

Other performers or athletes in his age (in their early fifties) can vigorously dance or exercise, but these can sleep at nights, whereas Michael Jackson could not sleep at all.

Michael Jackson could not perform even for a one-off show during his final months.

Take for example, the fact that although he was offered a huge amount of money (a reportedly £1.8 million payment) by a Russian billionaire to perform for him at one of the billionaire's luxurious parties (at Black Sea), he eventually backed out of that commitment due to his health issues.

Also, during the ‘This Is It’ rehearsals, Michael Jackson collapsed on several occasions.

At one occasion (on June 19th, 2009), he could not even step onto the stage to rehearse and Kenny Ortega helped him to just sit and watch the dancers’ rehearsals.

Michael Jackson could not get his strength, stamina, muscle memory and flexibility back also because he was at the time dependent on very strong drugs (like, ephedrine), which evidently do not allow the body to physically retain its previous healthy state while one is taking them.

AEG Live’s announcement that they hired the American fitness trainer Louis Ferrigno in order to train him (for the 'This Is It' shows) proved to be eventually just a publicity stunt.

mj_frenzy;4277170 said:
AEG Live’s announcement that they hired the American fitness trainer Louis Ferrigno in order to train him (for the 'This Is It' shows) proved to be eventually just a publicity stunt.
A stunt? You think Ferrigno is lying about training with Michael?

As to the topic's question. I think the Michael that showed up to rehearsals in April 2009 might have been able to, with appropriate time for preparation, proper physicians monitoring him, and counseling. The July dates were way too soon for both the production as a whole, as well as MJ's personal preparation. But I don't think there was anything physically limiting him from doing the shows in principle.

The condition he was in when he passed is a completely different story though. Had MJ survived in June, I do not think for a second that he would have been able to fulfill the scheduled dates. Sure, with his natural talent and given the pressure he felt, he may have pushed himself to deliver some decent rehearsal performances. But actually doing a full show is a completely different story.

Yeah, having the dates spaced out and staying in the same location all help, but you need to be in excellent shape to perform at the level MJ did, especially at his older age. We've learned through the Murray and AEG trials that people involved with the production knew he was not doing well, even to the extent that they thought they might have to cancel the shows. He was suffering severe psychological and physiological symptoms as a result of the drugs he was administered every single day by Murray, the stress, and the lack of normal sleep. As sad as it is, there's no way around the fact that he was in really poor health the last weeks of his life.

I just wish the entire This Is It project would have never happened.

As to the topic's question. I think the Michael that showed up to rehearsals in April 2009 might have been able to, with appropriate time for preparation, proper physicians monitoring him, and counseling. The July dates were way too soon for both the production as a whole, as well as MJ's personal preparation. But I don't think there was anything physically limiting him from doing the shows in principle.

The condition he was in when he passed is a completely different story though. Had MJ survived in June, I do not think for a second that he would have been able to fulfill the scheduled dates. Sure, with his natural talent and given the pressure he felt, he may have pushed himself to deliver some decent rehearsal performances. But actually doing a full show is a completely different story.

Yeah, having the dates spaced out and staying in the same location all help, but you need to be in excellent shape to perform at the level MJ did, especially at his older age. We've learned through the Murray and AEG trials that people involved with the production knew he was not doing well, even to the extent that they thought they might have to cancel the shows. He was suffering severe psychological and physiological symptoms as a result of the drugs he was administered every single day by Murray, the stress, and the lack of normal sleep. As sad as it is, there's no way around the fact that he was in really poor health the last weeks of his life.

I just wish the entire This Is It project would have never happened.

If I recall correctly a Dr at one of the trials said that MJ would have died because he wasn't sleeping, so even if he had survived he would not have been able to go on much longer.

If I recall correctly a Dr at one of the trials said that MJ would have died because he wasn't sleeping, so even if he had survived he would not have been able to go on much longer.

I agree with you. He couldn't sleep at all. How can someone in that condition be able to function? It was impossible. Many concerts would be cancelled or he might died on stage.

I agree with you. He couldn't sleep at all. How can someone in that condition be able to function? It was impossible. Many concerts would be cancelled or he might died on stage.
I agree there, but these issues could've been addressed with "proper" (medical) care, psychological counseling etc. In general I was never impressed with some of the "medical" staff surrounding him. Not sure what lead to that (could be MJ himself being demanding, I really don't know). But many of the things he was dealing with/suffering from could have been avoided/solved if addressed properly.

Sleep is critical (as a parent of 2 little ones, I know what a lack of sleep can do to you), but the way it was being dealt with (treating symptoms, not the causes) was never going to work in the long term.

mj_frenzy;4277170 said:
Also, during the ‘This Is It’ rehearsals, Michael Jackson collapsed on several occasions.
When was this said? I remember that it was said that he wasn't in very good condition but I don't remember him collapsing.

Herrie;4277255 said:
I agree there, but these issues could've been addressed with "proper" (medical) care, psychological counseling etc. In general I was never impressed with some of the "medical" staff surrounding him. Not sure what lead to that (could be MJ himself being demanding, I really don't know). But many of the things he was dealing with/suffering from could have been avoided/solved if addressed properly.

Sleep is critical (as a parent of 2 little ones, I know what a lack of sleep can do to you), but the way it was being dealt with (treating symptoms, not the causes) was never going to work in the long term.

Yes I agree with you. Proper medical care which it´s not the kind of stuff MJ was taking (propofol it´s not a medicine for sleep problems). I know what the lack of sleep does to people cause my mother has trouble sleeping too. The doctors only gave her pills and all that stuff to treat the symptoms, but the cause of all that they don´t care at all.
And with MJ it was the same. All they care about was to put him to sleep no matter what, they even use an anesthetic! And I understand he was desperate and ready for all, I understand all he wanted was to sleep, but that medicine ended up killing him. (I heard he begged to sleep and he begged for propofol)
I think he had a terrible life in some ways, I don´t know how he handled it. It´s understandable he had to make some things that aren´t okay in our "world", so to speak.

DifferentKindOfLady;4277269 said:
Yes I agree with you. Proper medical care which it´s not the kind of stuff MJ was taking (propofol it´s not a medicine for sleep problems). I know what the lack of sleep does to people cause my mother has trouble sleeping too. The doctors only gave her pills and all that stuff to treat the symptoms, but the cause of all that they don´t care at all.
And with MJ it was the same. All they care about was to put him to sleep no matter what, they even use an anesthetic! And I understand he was desperate and ready for all, I understand all he wanted was to sleep, but that medicine ended up killing him. (I heard he begged to sleep and he begged for propofol)
I think he had a terrible life in some ways, I don´t know how he handled it. It´s understandable he had to make some things that aren´t okay in our "world", so to speak.
I wish he wouldve just smoked some weed to put him to slp

There could be a chance Michael probably did smoked a few times during the time 2005 etc because he was very stress out. they found weed in his house. lucky he stop and when to the doctor for meds for his anxiety and depression. he wasn't on them for long though. which was a good thing. I don't know if this true so just ignore this post. cause I could be wrong.

I don't smoke. never did. never will. i'm drug free. so i'm not agreeing the fact Michael should of smoked if he did. carry on.

There could be a chance Michael probably did smoked a few times during the time 2005 etc because he was very stress out. they found weed in his house. lucky he stop and when to the doctor for meds for his anxiety and depression. he wasn't on them for long though. which was a good thing. I don't know if this true so just ignore this post. cause I could be wrong.

I never heard he smoked.

I know this is kinda late, but I haven't been on here in a while and I can't find a thread like this. After seeing TII, do you think michael could have done all 50 shows? Do you think he was as "fit" as travis and kenny were saying?

No, he couldn't. I read Jermaine's book and, according to him, Michael needed to be taken to a hospital. According to Jermaine, Michael's body was cold.

SoCav;4277174 said:

Louis Ferrigno was on AEG Live’s payroll, so what did you expect him to say at that time?

He was expected to say that he was training and preparing Michael Jackson for those shows, when actually both they even never met in 2009.

Louis Ferrigno also said that Michael Jackson was in fantastic shape, a statement that clearly is not good for his overall credibility.

Galactus123;4277266 said:
When was this said? I remember that it was said that he wasn't in very good condition but I don't remember him collapsing.

That was disclosed by some of Michael Jackson’s associates.

That information was also included by certain authors in their books (one of those occasions where he collapsed was just on his second day of the rehearsals).

I think Michael could have done all fifty shows, if he had been allowed to medically recuperate first and pace himself overall (maybe one date per week). Sadly, AEG and Michael's handlers wanted to rush the whole thing, and they didn't stop to think about Michael's health. He needed to be taken off that propofol ASAP, and get some serious medical treatment to help with his chronic insomnia.

I think Michael could have done all fifty shows, if he had been allowed to medically recuperate first and pace himself overall (maybe one date per week). Sadly, AEG and Michael's handlers wanted to rush the whole thing, and they didn't stop to think about Michael's health. He needed to be taken off that propofol ASAP, and get some serious medical treatment to help with his chronic insomnia.

Agreed.

Back