Hypothetical: What Cover Songs Would You Like to Hear MJ Sing?

Together Again by Janet Jackson.

One More Chance by Randy Jackson... This is the best One More Chance, better than Michael's solo one and the one he did as a kid with the Jackson 5. A shame he didn't sing this one, as it's a really beautiful song.

All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey

Neil Diamond - Heartlight

Terence Trent D'Arby - Sign Your Name

Darren Hayes - Insatiable

i'm not sure about covers, but there are definitely songs by other artists that I wished went to Michael originally.

top of my head:

'love makes the world go round' - by don-e - has Michael's vocal stylings, harmonious message, and musically it sounds similar to 'show you the way to go'

'fairground' by simply red - Michael loved theme parks.. :) soothing vocals during the whimsical verses, before the amplified joy of the anthemic chorus! I can totally see Michael pulling this off

'sensitivity' by ralph tresvant - I actually thought this was Michael when I heard it being played back in the day, ha! concept somewhat plays into the 'gentleman' role of 'rock with you'..

One More Chance by Randy Jackson... This is the best One More Chance, better than Michael's solo one and the one he did as a kid with the Jackson 5. A shame he didn't sing this one, as it's a really beautiful song.

OMG, I am listening to this gorgeous song right now! I am currently exploring the Jacksons' albums - what a treat. I am the worst fan ever... Was thinking the same thing - why is Michael not singing on the song, was waiting for his part the whole time. :( Beautiful song nevertheless.

'electric boogie' by Marcia Griffiths - would have been fun to have a song dedicated to a dance move that people could follow :) Jackson style of course!

The O'Jays - My Favorite Person
Kool & The Gang - Victory
Raydio - Tonight's The Night

All of Neyo's songs. His songs sound like MJ should have sung them.

Ai No Corrida by Quincy Jones

I wonder if Quincy ever asked MJ to be part of that song and why he refused

Neil Diamond - Heartlight

Terence Trent D'Arby - Sign Your Name

Darren Hayes - Insatiable

OMG..........these would be AMAZING!!!! Especially "Insatiable". I can hear Michael, inside most of Darren Hayes' songs and Terence Trent Darby is a given.

I think this one would be VERY interesting. I'd like to see what Michael would do with it.
I can hear Michael in Garfunkel's high part of the harmony.

Which songs do you wish MJ had covered?

Simple as that. Which songs do you think he would've done awesome covers of in his lifetime or wish he'd been able to do had he lived? The only notable covers that I can think of are "Come Together", "Smile", and "Butterflies" -- although I do know that "Hot Fun In The Summertime" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" exist but remain unreleased.

I honestly think that if Michael Jackson had lived long enough, he would've taken Gotye's 2011 song "Somebody That I Used To Know" and blown it out of the park. I'm talking "I Will Always Love You" and "Hound Dog" level of covering that would make someone forget that it's even a cover of someone else's original. Sometimes I can almost hear in my mind how MJ would have sung the chorus. He already had a resonance and almost an eerie sort of echo to his voice on songs like "Another Day" and "Chicago" that I think would've fit really well.

I'm telling you, guys, us Moonwalkers in this timeline were ROBBED of the awesomeness that would've been Michael Jackson's "Somebody That I Used To Know".

Anyway, what songs do you people wish he had covered?

Re: Which songs do you wish MJ had covered?

I would've loved an adult version of who's loving you.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Re: Which songs do you wish MJ had covered?

Simple as that. Which songs do you think he would've done awesome covers of in his lifetime or wish he'd been able to do had he lived? The only notable covers that I can think of are "Come Together", "Smile", and "Butterflies" -- although I do know that "Hot Fun In The Summertime" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" exist but remain unreleased.

I honestly think that if Michael Jackson had lived long enough, he would've taken Gotye's 2011 song "Somebody That I Used To Know" and blown it out of the park. I'm talking "I Will Always Love You" and "Hound Dog" level of covering that would make someone forget that it's even a cover of someone else's original. Sometimes I can almost hear in my mind how MJ would have sung the chorus. He already had a resonance and almost an eerie sort of echo to his voice on songs like "Another Day" and "Chicago" that I think would've fit really well.

I'm telling you, guys, us Moonwalkers in this timeline were ROBBED of the awesomeness that would've been Michael Jackson's "Somebody That I Used To Know".

Anyway, what songs do you people wish he had covered?

Thank you for rejuvenating my thread and I think your idea is brilliant!! "Somebody That I Used to Know" is a spectacular song and I loved it so much, the year it came out. I can definitely imagine Michael giving it the special treatment and it would be very interesting to hear his version of it.

It's also unfortunate that Michael never made a Christmas album in his adult career, it's such a fun time of the year and I think that had he not been so tied to his JW upbringing he would've really loved the messaging and good vibes of the Christmas season. If he had lived I could also see him making a Christmas album in like 2014, maybe with a few reprises with his brothers from the Jackson 5 Christmas album.

The only notable covers that I can think of are "Come Together", "Smile", and "Butterflies"

"Gone too soon", "Shout", "A place/horse with no name" ... or maybe you don't consider those "notable"? (Also "Blame it on the boogie" is a cover, somehow.)

And "When you wish upon a star/Yellow brick road/..." I know it goes somewhat ignored but I think his voice worked very well there.

Also I guess we're mostly talking about adult career but Motown career is full of cover that often get better that previous versions.

remakes

"Shout", "A place/horse with no name"
These aren't really covers, they're an interpolation. A cover/remake is the exact same song, not changing the lyrics but using the same music/melody or using a few words from another song. In the same way, sometimes answer songs use similar music from the song they're replying to, so people can figure it out easier. Such as Superstar by Lydia Murdock. What Weird Al does is called parody.

Yeah, I expect someone would say that. I don't really know the original for Shout but just listened to "A horse with no name". Melody is very similar. Michael changed mostly the lyrics.
And I assumed that when people think of Michael covering songs, they first thing "how would he use his voice on that melody" not "what would the lyrics exactly mean if he sang them".
So for me those ("A place with no name" and Weird Al parodies fall in the "cover" category, though I agree they are edge cases.

Though Weird Al's covers are cover but also parodies as they aim to be funny, while I wouldn't call "A place with no name" a parody...

remake

Yeah, I expect someone would say that. I don't really know the original for Shout but just listened to "A horse with no name". Melody is very similar. Michael changed mostly the lyrics.
And I assumed that when people think of Michael covering songs, they first thing "how would he use his voice on that melody" not "what would the lyrics exactly mean if he sang them".
So for me those ("A place with no name" and Weird Al parodies fall in the "cover" category, though I agree they are edge cases.

Though Weird Al's covers are cover but also parodies as they aim to be funny, while I wouldn't call "A place with no name" a parody...
The melody is not necessarily relevant for a cover, unless it is an instrumental remake. A sample is using a previous recording on a song like U Can't Touch This by MC Hammer. A remake/cover is considered to be the lyrics. There's covers that don't use the same arrangement or tempo. Like this:

Yeah so, I already knew that a cover can use the same lyrics and change tempo and modify melody.
But you are saying that changing the lyrics and singing on the same melody in the same way as the initial lyrics is not a cover? Then what is it?

Back