Any anxiety/depression sufferers here?

Do you suffer from anxiety/depression?

• no

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • yes

Votes: 101 82.8%

• Total voters
Re: any anxiety/depression sufferers here?

Been there. I suffered anxiety and depression for a year. Friends and family are my medicine. I talked to them openly about my problem. I just felt better. Besides that, I did a lot of activities to distract myself from thinking that same problem that has been haunting me.

Besides these two, I have insomnia since I was a baby. What a combination!
I remember being depressed when I was 6 years old because children disciminated me or laughted at me because I use a walker.
My only memory about an adult making me smile/happy is Michael. I could got out of there when I was 18; however, in 2009 (like many of you) I feel depressed again.
Also my mother and I have very stormy relationship since ever I can remember; nowadays, we can't stand each other.

I was so used to try until I couls succed on my goals but thanks to that mother fucker C M many of us can make this dream come true anymore.

I used to have bad anxiety, but eventually I was able to cope with it. I haven't had an issue with it for a while.

I have not been diagnosed or anything, but I believe I do suffer from some mild anxiety....sometimes social anxiety....A LOT of the time I find myself very uncomfortable and nervous around people I don't know....The only people I truly feel comfortable around are family...When I'm at work, I'm fine, I'm like a social butterfly and very personable...but I'm a nurse, I need to be...lol...But when it comes to social settings, I get so anxious and uncomfortable, that I am literally on the edge, waiting to be able to make a getaway...any excuse to get out of the situation...I don't think I'm at the point of needing to go see a doctor about it...I just deal with it as it comes....

Aww I feel for all of you who have these issues. I really can't offer advice because I hardly take my own but just try to stay strong and when things get tough keep reminding yourself that "this too shall pass". About Michael I just keep telling myself that he is in a better place now, hopefully at peace and not in pain, stress or worry anymore. He did his job on earth and lived a full life for a 50 year old and with all he endured. We had him and we were so very lucky. We still have him in a way, I would like to believe.

I have a question for those of you who have been brave enough to get professional help. What is it like to see a therapist? Is it really difficult? Because just the thought of telling my problems and deepest feelings to some stranger is more frightening to me than going to a party, lol.

Last edited:

yes I have small, panic attacks. Unfortunatly I cannot afford meds rigt now so I hope if I get a job soon I can be able to.

I'm afraid I strongly disagree with this statement. Depression/anxiety is an illness. If you had an infection you would take antibiotics. Medication isn't for everyone but we must not condone people who are on it or have taken it in the past. It has helped me greatly and allowed me to work and to get on with life. Plus the waiting list is eight months here for therapy. If you have ever had severe mental health problems you will know that is a very long time to wait without medication. Also ant-di's are NOT ADDICTIVE.
I would just like to say a thankyou for all the wonderful replies and kind words. Keep posting!
A note of caution, lets not go into meds in detail. We are not doctors and everyone has the right to decide their own treatment so lets all please be sensitive to others.
L.O.V.E

I 2nd AOI's reply.
I have dealt with depression for over 20 years. I have also tried many prescriptions before finding one that works. It took about 5years before finding one that works for me. I am pretty happy now.
I don't believe people get addicted to antidepressants. But for myself- I feel I need them to stay alive. I've stopped taking them, and the depression comes back. There are side effects to medicines though. They can be effective if used carefully and not mixing many kinds together.
Be careful!
Everyone has their own ways of dealing with things. Some react well to therapy, some meds, Hypnotics, some don't deal with it at all.
The most important thing I can say is see your Doctor!!! Especially, if you are suicidal. They are the professionals. Talking through things with people helps. It is also good to be well rounded and have work, hobbies and friends. Giving/helping others can help you feel better too. I always try to be a better person-in whatever I do. If you listen to Michaels music, he will lead the way. :angel:

I have not been diagnosed or anything, but I believe I do suffer from some mild anxiety....sometimes social anxiety....A LOT of the time I find myself very uncomfortable and nervous around people I don't know....The only people I truly feel comfortable around are family...When I'm at work, I'm fine, I'm like a social butterfly and very personable...but I'm a nurse, I need to be...lol...But when it comes to social settings, I get so anxious and uncomfortable, that I am literally on the edge, waiting to be able to make a getaway...any excuse to get out of the situation...I don't think I'm at the point of needing to go see a doctor about it...I just deal with it as it comes....

Just like me!...we're not related are we? :mello: :fear:

I'm afraid I strongly disagree with this statement. Depression/anxiety is an illness. If you had an infection you would take antibiotics. Medication isn't for everyone but we must not condone people who are on it or have taken it in the past. It has helped me greatly and allowed me to work and to get on with life. Plus the waiting list is eight months here for therapy. If you have ever had severe mental health problems you will know that is a very long time to wait without medication. Also ant-di's are NOT ADDICTIVE.
I would just like to say a thankyou for all the wonderful replies and kind words. Keep posting!
A note of caution, lets not go into meds in detail. We are not doctors and everyone has the right to decide their own treatment so lets all please be sensitive to others.
L.O.V.E

I 2nd AOI's reply.
I have dealt with depression for over 20 years. I have also tried many prescriptions before finding one that works. It took about 5years before finding one that works for me. I am pretty happy now.
I don't believe people get addicted to antidepressants. But for myself- I feel I need them to stay alive. I've stopped taking them, and the depression comes back. There are side effects to medicines though. They can be effective if used carefully and not mixing many kinds together.
Be careful!
Everyone has their own ways of dealing with things. Some react well to therapy, some meds, Hypnotics, some don't deal with it at all.
The most important thing I can say is see your Doctor!!! Especially, if you are suicidal. They are the professionals. Talking through things with people helps. It is also good to be well rounded and have work, hobbies and friends. Giving/helping others can help you feel better too. I always try to be a better person-in whatever I do. If you listen to Michaels music, he will lead the way. :angel:

I agree with these two. Mental illness is very much like other illnesses. It's a chemical imbalance that can be helped by medications. People do not become addicted to these medicines as they do with narcotics, benzos, etc.

That being said, many factors influence one's moods. People have varying success with different types of treatment (meds, cognitive behavioral therapy, group therapy, exercise, meditation, etc.). A lot of times, there is an inciting factor and once that is dealt with, the depression goes too. But in some people (especially those with a family predilection to being depressed), therapy/exercise/etc doesn't work and medications are necessary.

It is embarrassing in our culture to admit to having a problem with depression. But, again, it is an illness that has been studied quite a bit, with many options for treatment. Don't let a doctor just put you on an antidepressant and say goodbye. But do see a doctor, because he/she should assist you in getting the help you need.

Thanks everyone.
I;m on medication and am on a waiting list for therapy.

Hmm, I wouldn't recommend taking medication (I'm no doctor though and I also said I wouldn't give advice :smilerolleyes:). In my opinion, drugs don't 'treat' depression, they sort of hide it in a back closet, if you know what I mean + they give addiction. After a while, you won't be able to function without them.
Therapy, without medication, will lighten you up...

I had a pretty bad bout of anxiety, depression and insomnia in high school .
For about 6 months i couldn't fall asleep until about 4 hours after had gone to bed and everyone else had to be sleeping or i wouldn't be able to sleep.

I think the best advice(if you don't have a more serious medical disorder)
is to

1 create or find a good network of friends: however not just any friends make sure your friends are the type of people that are ok with just hanging out all day even if you guys do absolutely nothing but talk. then you know you haven't found just a shopping buddy/drinking friend etc. but someone who you can form deeper emotional relationships with.

2 exercise: run/left weights/yoga running may be best, along with other cardiovascular exercises
this will release endorphin neurotransmitters which will result in a natural high
Exercise will also make you physically healthier and increase your self confidence.

Exercise may be the easier step to start of with, just make sure to keep a consistent exercise schedule. You don't need a gym membership or expensive home gym equipment, just buy a jump rope and a set of dumbbells.
Then you can ease into the networking part and before you know it you'l start to feel better mentally and physically.

I have many health problems and so can't exercise intensley. I also have my faith which helps alot. re the above-I haven't forgiven Tom Cruise for what he said about Brooke shields rightly taking medication for her severe post-natal depression. In my view, Mr. Cruise is a very ignorant man.

ok, here I go guys. I was doing fine until june 25th, 2009. After that, I couldn't get out of bed. It hit me so hard I didn't how to handle it. Although I have had major depression for awhile the med were enough to keep me well.
Fast forwar to today, I am still on the med I was on prior to 6/25 but it seems that I need more. I tried to do therapy but I wasn't fond ogf this guy, and I told him that I needed someone to help throug this rut that I have been in since 6/25. He was ok with that but he wasnt the right person I felt comfortable to discussthings with.

So, I haven't been back. My mom know how I am feeling and she will come over and get me out of the house, otherthwise...I don't go anywhere. I may go tot he maket for a few things but nowhere else. I habe been diagnosed in the 90's with depression and med and therapy worked well.
I do no any MJ friends where I live I wish I did that would help out a lot. But, ya, It's been brutal since June 25 and it's only the beginning.

I'm so sorry to hear about all of your stories. I am very lucky as I am not affected my depression but it is a very common problem and you shoulod always get help if you feel that you are suffering.

I studied depression for a while at school and I don't think that anti-depressants are the best way to deal with it even though it may make you feel better. We researched some anti-depressants and they actually MADE you depressed rather than making you better and you really don't know what those tablets are doing to you physically and mentally through years or taking them.

I believe that the best thing to do is to go and see a therapist and be brutally honest to them; there is always some underlying reason for depression (somewhere deep down) and talkihg about it and your feelings will really make you feel better and take a large weight off your chest. I'm not saying that seeing a therapist will cure it, but I do believe that it will help, and as others have suggested take up hobbies, sports, exercise, be creative etc.

And as someone said previously, Michael lived a full life for a 50 year old, anybody would be struggling to achieve what he did in 150 years nevermind 50 :)

I have suffered from severe depression in the past; I had a breakdown in my early twenties. I didn't have things easy as a child and adult life has been incredibly difficult caring for two sick parents as well as my own kids, one of whom is disabled. My mum and dad both had dementia and my dad was physically unable to look after himself. I do understand how difficult it is for you - depression and other mental illnesses are crippling.

Because of my own experiences I trained as a counsellor for five years and now I work locally as a counsellor in my spare time.

Don't dismiss medication - it can ease the symptoms and enable you to cope a little better with life. Therapy helps most people so try and push for that though as meds can just mask the problem. I have seen counselling help people make some major improvements.

Take heart sweetie - we are all with you xx :better:

I have a question for those of you who have been brave enough to get professional help. What is it like to see a therapist? Is it really difficult? Because just the thought of telling my problems and deepest feelings to some stranger is more frightening to me than going to a party, lol.

Is there anyone who could answer my question (quoted above) for me, please? I'm just wondering what it's like. Is it like in the movies where you lay on a couch while the therapist takes notes? Heh.

Is there anyone who could answer my question (quoted above) for me, please? I'm just wondering what it's like. Is it like in the movies where you lay on a couch while the therapist takes notes? Heh.
It really depends where you go exactly.

I sat on a couch, although I did have the option of laying down I wanted to. In our first session, my Dr. just asked me for a background of my life. Second session; what motivates me, what makes me 'tic' or whatever.. just stuff like that. Third; We looked at way I could 'improve' my mental health.

I think I had about 6 sessions.

I am going to another psychologist soon, so I can probably make a better comparison.

It wasn't weird for me. I found it kind of irritating have to go through all of the crap bits of my life, but that's what you have to do for them to get a proper analysis.

Having said that, I wasn't as honest as I probably should have been.

I have had different experiences with different therapists. If you choose to see one, you should ask what therapy philosophy and methods are. Some therapists will let you lead the conversation and ask questions, some will start by visiting your past, etc. My current psychiatrist (MD) approaches things kind of like any medical doctor would approach a check-up: specific questions about my progress and state of being.

Any and all doctors/therapists should not be "judgmental" and if something makes you uncomfortable, you should say so. Finding a style/personality type/age/gender you are comfortable with might help. Personally, I find it easier to tell my weird stuff to a stranger because I know that our only interaction is in that room and they are trying to help me, plus they've probably heard crazier! (and yes, I did tell my shrink I was depressed about the loss of my hero Michael Jackson)

I have sought therapy three times in life and each time I am glad I did. In college I was a little stressed out with a lot on my plate, so a psychologist-in-training helped me talk through my anxieties and help me managed my priorities. Around age 23 I began experiencing panic attacks and some agoraphobia/claustrophobia, and a psychologist practicing cognitive-behavioral therapy literally turned my life around. And in Oct '09 I began seeing a psychiatrist and taking a medication after being depressed about MJ and also a job I hated (which I've since left). I'm really happy I sought help though each time it was really hard! At first I didn't want to admit I needed help, or allocate the money for it, or speak to a stranger, or have friends see me as "crazy." But I'm so glad I put all those thoughts aside and now I feel proud to talk about it openly!

My tips for anyone suffering are:
1) Find the right therapist. Find a way to see someone; there may be ways even if you lack money or are not mobile. Or discuss with your regular physician if that's all that's available to you.
2) Exercise (something you enjoy if possible) and keep doing it even if at first it seems like it's not helping.
3) Build a support network of friends/family/online buddies you can confide in.
4) Look for ways to help others. Taking the focus off of yourself some of the time can be a good thing, and the joy of helping someone in greater need may melt a little bit of your sadness for a while.

Love and hugs to you all!!!! :heart:

Last edited:

Oh, I forgot one more thing: I've also come to discover that not all "sad" feelings are bad. I remind myself that I have always been a sensitive human being, and the opposite side of the "sad sensitivity" is the side that can feel extreme joy. If I were never ever sad, I wouldn't value the happy, and I would not know my own inner strength. I'm really not surprised to be surrounded by so many thoughtful, sensitive, creative, feeling souls -- I think many MJ fans are these things, and it's also what makes us great, able to connect with art and care about healing the world.

Of course if you're not sure if you've got occasional sadness or "the blues" or depression please speak to a professional because it sure can be confusing! Totally been there! :)

Oh, I forgot one more thing: I've also come to discover that not all "sad" feelings are bad. I remind myself that I have always been a sensitive human being, and the opposite side of the "sad sensitivity" is the side that can feel extreme joy. If I were never ever sad, I wouldn't value the happy, and I would not know my own inner strength. I'm really not surprised to be surrounded by so many thoughtful, sensitive, creative, feeling souls -- I think many MJ fans are these things, and it's also what makes us great, able to connect with art and care about healing the world.
Totally agree with this! :wub: :yes: Thank you Janine for your contribution to this thread! :flowers: Love and hugs for you too! :heart: :huggy:

I've been dealing with depression for the past few years. Went through many changes in my life during the period, one of which is Michael's passing...All the changes have made me feel super anxious and worried about many things. I used to be a clumsy and laid-back person, but now I'm this worrywart. It's escalated to the point where I imagine bad things happening even with just a few slip-ups on my part.

I find myself being lazy with some aspects of my life, which I think is due to depression. For example, cleaning up my room, getting things organized in my room and on my desk at work, etc. After I get all the things done, like many tasks at work, and when I get home, I just don't have the energy to do other activities even though they can help to recharge my batteries. I spend most of my weekends just chilling, just relaxing. Can't imagine doing anything else.... Plus, it's very hard to get up in the morning and worse, I usually have this frown my face when I don't interact with other people to whom I can't show the real me. Honestly, these days I feel whole and alive again when I'm alone.....

I'm constantly working to make things better, both consciously and unconsciouly...It's a constant, everyday battle. I depend on music. Music is always there for me. It's something that makes me feel elevated and valued as an individual. I also write down my feelings in my own personal notebook or on online communities like here. Gotta add, sharing it with others going through the same thing, like I'm doing right now, that helps a great deal as well.
Shout-out to the threadstarter and everyone else!

Last edited:

Yes, I do also. I think it runs in my family. My mother had it younger and I guess still does. It takes me longer to get going. Like the commercial for a depression drug they run here showing a windup doll. You have to continually wind yourself up to get the energy to continue. It takes me longer to get out of bed in the morning. To face the day. Things I used to find fun and interesting I no longer have the desire to do. I used to love playing my guitar and keyboard....no more. I used to love sketching portraits...no more. I recently tried again after many years and just couldn't. I have the social anxiety thing too. It's just too exhausting and stressful to go out. Once in a while I'll go to a movie or something but I just feel most safe and comfortable at home. Of course, I have to go to work and I get there but some days it's very hard. I've never dealt with this. I think it goes back to my childhood also. Growing up without a father, growing up poor, kids taunting and teasing and bullying.

When Michael died, like many of you, that really sunk me to a new level. I got really, really down. It affected me greatly and I wasn't even what you would call a die hard fan of his before. But losing someone who has kind of been there all my life in some way or another and under such sad circumstances...it's very sad. And someone who was such a kind, gentle soul at that. Meanwhile, evil, heartless, mean people continue walking the earth. And then to see life go on and people continuing with life as if nothing happened while I was still terribly saddened by the loss and not yet over it (and still not quite).

Oddly I feel a little better during the fall/winter months. I get more depressed in the spring and summer when it is warm/hot/sunny. The opposite of S.A.D. I love it when it's crisp, chilly, dark and cold. I wonder if there's a name for this? LOL.
Wow, it coulda been me writing this! The part in bold, that's exactly the same for me!!! Feeling so strange and comforting at the same time, but def. more comforting rather than strange. I'm def. not alone...I don't have to feel inferior about myself going through the things you go through, too. Sometimes, when I confide it to several people around me, most of them kinda made judgements like I was doing something wrong. I couldn't be more lonely at that time. I regret doing it. I think it's better to express myself creatively to heal, like writing and singing and daydreaming. My occupation is not an artist, but I believe everyone has an artist living within and it does help to bring him/her out when you're depressed.

I am a therapist.

I depends on the therapists style and approach.

I use a room with two chairs. The first thing I do is introduce myself, explain what will happen and reassure the client that everything they tell me is in the strictest confidence - unless I am concerned they may cause harm to themselves or others. If I have concerns I also reassure them I would do nothing unless the client and I discuss it first. Throughout I always check that the client has understood me and is happy with what I have said.

Its about giving you an opportunity to have an hour on a regular basis to talk about whatever is concerning you in a non-judgemental environment. together you and the therapist can discuss your concerns and help you make sense of your feelings - by bringing them out in the open you can both explore how you feel maybe making your feelings easier to deal with and understand.

It is not about telling you what to do or how you should feel but about helping you make sense of your life.

Don't feel embarassed or uncomfortable - any good therapist will never make you feel like you are weird. In the UK we have registers of qualified therapists and we are well regulated here. I am sure the same must be sure in other countries.

Depending on what you feel your concerns are you can see different types of therapist.

Someone who specialises in CBT will deal with stuff like panic attacks giving you taks to complete to help you get over them. It works on negative thoughts.

If you want to explore things you think may be stuck in your past, you could look for a Psychodynamic counsellor.

Personally I would search for someone called an Integrative counsellor who can offer a variety of approaches.

Please don't be scared - a good therapist will help with that. and if they don't do not be afraid to change to another!

Good luck xxx

It really depends where you go exactly.

I sat on a couch, although I did have the option of laying down I wanted to. In our first session, my Dr. just asked me for a background of my life. Second session; what motivates me, what makes me 'tic' or whatever.. just stuff like that. Third; We looked at way I could 'improve' my mental health.

I think I had about 6 sessions.

I am going to another psychologist soon, so I can probably make a better comparison.

It wasn't weird for me. I found it kind of irritating have to go through all of the crap bits of my life, but that's what you have to do for them to get a proper analysis.

Having said that, I wasn't as honest as I probably should have been.

Thank you for sharing your experience. :)

I am a therapist.

I depends on the therapists style and approach.

I use a room with two chairs. The first thing I do is introduce myself, explain what will happen and reassure the client that everything they tell me is in the strictest confidence - unless I am concerned they may cause harm to themselves or others. If I have concerns I also reassure them I would do nothing unless the client and I discuss it first. Throughout I always check that the client has understood me and is happy with what I have said.

Its about giving you an opportunity to have an hour on a regular basis to talk about whatever is concerning you in a non-judgemental environment. together you and the therapist can discuss your concerns and help you make sense of your feelings - by bringing them out in the open you can both explore how you feel maybe making your feelings easier to deal with and understand.

It is not about telling you what to do or how you should feel but about helping you make sense of your life.

Don't feel embarassed or uncomfortable - any good therapist will never make you feel like you are weird. In the UK we have registers of qualified therapists and we are well regulated here. I am sure the same must be sure in other countries.

Depending on what you feel your concerns are you can see different types of therapist.

Someone who specialises in CBT will deal with stuff like panic attacks giving you taks to complete to help you get over them. It works on negative thoughts.

If you want to explore things you think may be stuck in your past, you could look for a Psychodynamic counsellor.

Personally I would search for someone called an Integrative counsellor who can offer a variety of approaches.

Please don't be scared - a good therapist will help with that. and if they don't do not be afraid to change to another!

Good luck xxx

Thanks for the information and advice. We'll see.

Wow, it coulda been me writing this! The part in bold, that's exactly the same for me!!! Feeling so strange and comforting at the same time, but def. more comforting rather than strange. I'm def. not alone...I don't have to feel inferior about myself going through the things you go through, too. Sometimes, when I confide it to several people around me, most of them kinda made judgements like I was doing something wrong. I couldn't be more lonely at that time. I regret doing it. I think it's better to express myself creatively to heal, like writing and singing and daydreaming. My occupation is not an artist, but I believe everyone has an artist living within and it does help to bring him/her out when you're depressed.

How interesting that you felt the same things I was.

Yes, I think it can be healing to express yourself creatively. But for me it's tough to build up the motivation. I used to love sketching and playing music. I would love to start sketching again and being creative but I've lost it. I just don't have the desire anymore. I recently tried sketching again and my hands wouldn't do what my brain told them to. And then I didn't try it again to practice because it seems like so much work, lol. How awful.

How interesting that you felt the same things I was.

Yes, I think it can be healing to express yourself creatively. But for me it's tough to build up the motivation. I used to love sketching and playing music. I would love to start sketching again and being creative but I've lost it. I just don't have the desire anymore. I recently tried sketching again and my hands wouldn't do what my brain told them to. And then I didn't try it again to practice because it seems like so much work, lol. How awful.
Sorry to hear that...Really, my heart goes out to you. If I was you, ...I can't even imagine the pain you're going through. I've lost interest in some things I used to enjoy, but a few other things, I'm still passionate about them and that helps me a lot.

It's great to read everyone's responses. Thank you for contributing to my thread.
I am pretty unwell with anxiety just now. I have been signed off work due to it until next Thursday. I have been having bad panic attacks at work and feekings of not being able to cope. As I said before I am on the waiting list for counselling and am on meds but at the moment every day is a living hell.

Back