MJ's albums should be released on Blu-Ray Audio

Mike P.

Proud Member
Blu-Ray Audio is a new audiophile format that has recently come out, and although there doesn't seem to be that many really big titles available so far, I really hope this format takes off bigger than DVD-A or SACD did and that some of Michael's Albums eventually get a release.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ix=blu-r,popular&rh=i:popular,k:blu-ray audio

Thriller seems to be the most obvious choice from a mainstream perspective, but I think it would be awesome if future posthumous releases or Anniversary editions of his albums were made available on Blu-Ray with uncompressed, high quality sound.

It would be great but it has to be in their first print edition (off the wall - bad - history)

Well, Given the space capacity of Blu-Ray they could conceivably include any songs with alternate album mixes as bonus tracks on their respective albums. It would be awesome to hear those albums restored to their original release configurations tho, especially Bad.

This is what I am hoping for! Studio master quality in your living room IN SURROUND!!! Uncompressed surround that is :lol:

I read somewhere Michaels albums were all mixed in 5.1 but never released. Hopefully we will get to experience truly uncompressed HQ MJ music!

I read somewhere Michaels albums were all mixed in 5.1 but never released. Hopefully we will get to experience truly uncompressed HQ MJ music!

True!! It was done by engineer Mick Guzauski, who has those masters in his possession.

Recently I listen J5 Quadraphonic Greatest Hits Album including alternative Version of the hits and it sounds great, so I hope these albums will released in 5.1 pretty soon

I've always wondered why Michael hasn't had one yet. Maybe it's a record label thing. They'd obviously do Thriller but Dangerous and HIStory would be amazing.

I've always wondered why Michael hasn't had one yet. Maybe it's a record label thing. They'd obviously do Thriller but Dangerous and HIStory would be amazing.

In regards to the surround sound aspect anyway, I think I recall reading somewhere that Michael was actually working with someone on 5.1 mixes for the 2001 reissues, but was never satisfied with the final result so nothing arose.

Not sure if that's true, I read in an article sometime ago.

In regards to the surround sound aspect anyway, I think I recall reading somewhere that Michael was actually working with someone on 5.1 mixes for the 2001 reissues, but was never satisfied with the final result so nothing arose.

Not sure if that's true, I read in an article sometime ago.

Yeah I thought I read something like that somewhere. That Michael was working on a 5.1 mix Thriller release but then it got abandoned.

The main reason could be that they think there isn't enough market for them. Is the Blu-Ray audio popular?

they should release all of Michael's albums from Got To Be There to Invincible... direct from the multitracks, in there unedited state... 7.1 DTS Master HD Audio. Maybe some bonus tracks also... Michael's art deserves to be preserved in the highest quality available.

The main reason could be that they think there isn't enough market for them. Is the Blu-Ray audio popular?

As far as I'm aware it's still it in its very early stages. They only started getting released in the last year. Michael should have some (most likely Thriller.) There are some really iconic albums that have been released both contemporary and from the past. Personal favourites that have been released are Queen's A Night At The Opera, Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life and Amy Winehouse's Back To Black.

A limited amount of people would buy it, but everyone is about MP3s now. I don't really see there being a huge market for it.

Even CD stores around me are going out of business.

A limited amount of people would buy it, but everyone is about MP3s now. I don't really see there being a huge market for it.

Even CD stores around me are going out of business.

Not true. HD audio downloads are gaining popularity and besides Sony is accentuating HD audio this year, they are promotion high resolution audio. Also with the purchase of Beats by Dre, Apple will introduce HD AUDIO via their iTunes Store later this year. Apple does this, because sales are descending. People love quality over quantity.

Last year more vinyl records were sold compared to physical cd music albums. HD audio is gaining popularity also (HDTracks.com and Qobuz.com for example).

True!! It was done by engineer Mick Guzauski, who has those masters in his possession.

I am no audio expert, but all MJ albums have been mastered for stereo playback, so how would those mixes sound compared to a fan made upmix stereo to 5.1 let's say ?

I am no audio expert, but all MJ albums have been mastered for stereo playback, so how would those mixes sound compared to a fan made upmix stereo to 5.1 let's say ?

Yes, but all albums were re-done by this engineer. MJ supervised this multichannel project. It's certainly not a fan made project. Google his name and you'll see what he has done for which artists.

2001 was the year that Super Audio CD was the follow up of a regular cd. But in the end, right before the special editions and Invincible were released, the project was shelved by Michael's team.

Read this article: http://mixonline.com/recording/mixing/new-york-metro-november/

Yes, but all albums were re-done by this engineer. MJ supervised this multichannel project. It's certainly not a fan made project. Google his name and you'll see what he has done for which artists.

2001 was the year that Super Audio CD was the follow up of a regular cd. But in the end, right before the special editions and Invincible were released, the project was shelved by Michael's team.

Read this article: http://mixonline.com/recording/mixing/new-york-metro-november/

Great article thank you.
I am sure it will get released rather soon. Sony is promoting the bluray format, pure audio discs are taking off lately (2013) and you're right, high resolution digital music is selling well on the internet. Just a matter of time as usual.

Not true. HD audio downloads are gaining popularity and besides Sony is accentuating HD audio this year, they are promotion high resolution audio. Also with the purchase of Beats by Dre, Apple will introduce HD AUDIO via their iTunes Store later this year. Apple does this, because sales are descending. People love quality over quantity.

Last year more vinyl records were sold compared to physical cd music albums. HD audio is gaining popularity also (HDTracks.com and Qobuz.com for example).

That's true.

I guess I'll have to get a blu-ray player, if this ever happens.

This is old news but have a look here, a Thriller Pure Audio Bluray may be on its way...
http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/102595/114788/y

They put up a list of titles Sony would supposedly release in 2014 in Pure Audio format:
- Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
- Michael Jackson - Thriller
- Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin
- Billy Joel - The Stranger
- Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
- Janis Joplin - Pearl
- Carole King - Tapestry
- Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
- Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
- Dave Brubeck - Time Out
- Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley
- Lou Reed - Transformer
- The Clash - London Calling
- Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
- Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble - Texas Flood
- Sly & The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin 'On
- Pearl Jam - Ten
- James Taylor - JT
- Peter Tosh - Legalize It
- Patti Smith - Horses

Post is dated February 2014, does anybody have more precise information ?

Blu Ray audio albums are about as popular as DVD audio albums.
no 1 curr.

Blu Ray audio albums are about as popular as DVD audio albums.
no 1 curr.

Because every time when there is a new format, the same albums get the treatment. People have those albums already on different formats.

Now they are planning to release thriller in 2ch audio on bluray. I hope that the 5.1 mix will finally be on it.

I don't think this is something that really caught on, just like DAT tape and SACD. I think the only thing that has been released on Blu Ray audio is a few old catalog albums, but no new releases. Unless you have some expensive stereo system, there probably is not really any point of buying this format

Back