Why didn't Michael include ABC as part of J5 Medley on his tours?

Dart_Jack;4318606 said:
Are you talking about a person who cultivated the image of a child in the body of an adult?

I know what you are saying, but I can’t possibly think of another reason why Michael dropped ABC.

Nite Line;4318607 said:
This argument that Michael only performed his biggest hits because that’s what fans wanted to hear isn’t a valid reason. If that was the case, why wasn’t Remember The Time performed at the Dangerous Tour,

IIRC it was due to wardrobe malfunction

like michael said he was peter pan in his heart. so his childlike image never went away but even if he didn't want to do abc he didn't have to. just because you an child at heart doesn't you will get tired doing the samething. imagine an child listening to old mcdonald had a farm over and over again they will sooner or later get tired of it. he could of went the teenage route which he did a couple of times to balance his childlike and adult image.

frenzy is right. michael actually wanted to change up his setlist but it was because of his fans he didn't always did. i wish he did. i doubt fans wouldn't care as long he kept the hits.

Michael did have a childlike nature, but he probably felt there was a time and place for that, and performing on stage wasn't that time.

RTT was dropped because the choreography was considered too complicated as I recall. Something to do with the outfit as well. Maybe too hard to do the dance in the outfit?

A simple explanation for RTT being dropped could have been that it just didn't fit in with the flow of the setlist. During This Is It rehearsals the band played Heartbreak Hotel and Michael said he would have loved to perform it, but it didn't fit with the flow of the the TII setlist. So the same could have happened with RTT and the Dangerous tour.

i feel michael could of done remember the time. he actually was planning to do so. i'm not sure why it would take too much because look at his other stuff he did on tour. he perform it at the soul train awards sadly he broke his foot so, still love it.

A bit off topic - but I wish Michael would have performed the original set list of the Royal Brunei show with APOM, Bad, Dirty Diana, etc. It would have been interesting to see him wear the BWT costume and Bad costume in the HIStory era, or would have he performed APOM and RWY in the DWT outfit to avoid costume changes?

I would’ve loved to have seen the TII band learn 10-12 Jackson 5/Jacksons songs, and before each show, ask Michael, “Which one are we doing tonight?” That would’ve made each night a little bit different and unique, and would’ve added some much needed spontaneity into his shows.

Nite Line;4318607 said:
I have to honest. I think Michael was very lazy, unimaginative and complacent with his set list. His tours could have been so much better, if he decided to switch up his set list or perform a rare song on selective concerts.

I don’t have much interest in any more future releases of concerts from Michael’s solo tours, because once you have seen one show from a tour, you have pretty much seen all of the shows.

I completely agree. The most ambition I’ve ever seen from him concert wise was the incorporation of MITM and WYWTOM in “They Don’t Care About Us,” and the “Threatened” epilogue after “Thriller.” Beyond that, you hit the nail on the head. His shows, great as they were, are all carbon copies of one another.

In Michael's setlists you could also predict what order the songs were gonna be performed in. He would always start off with WBSS or a song from the new album at the time, then perform a slow song (Usually Human Nature), then Smooth Criminal, then a couple of songs after that the J5 Medley would be performed. Then we get the Thriller, Billie Jean and Beat It trilogy and then towards the end of the show we usually get Black Or White, Heal The World and Man In The Mirror.

Well, History's initial set list had some interesting aspects

1-px-UV28-BVKE1-PJr-YPfip-Zag.jpg

Fuzball;4318669 said:

I doubt this was the actual running order (ending the show with SOOML and 2 Bad would be... interesting), but there’s a lot of promise here. Far better choices than what he ultimately went with.

As for abc, you could say the same thing about lots of his bigger hits. He didn't perform it because he didn't want to. You can't do them all. There's no real reason and I doubt it played on his mind...

The history set isn't in the correct running order, obviously but is interesting. State if shock though? Random. Not a great song, generic rock riff throwaway.

Fuzball;4318617 said:
IIRC it was due to wardrobe malfunction

I simply don’t buy the wardrobe malfunction excuse. If Michael really wanted to perform RTT, he would have performed it.

Fuzball;4318669 said:

I doubt very much that Michael was planning on performing State of Shock during the History Tour. If he didn’t do it during Victory or Bad Tours, I doubt he was going to do it at the History Tour.

Last edited:
If he did perform State Of Shock I could see it being part of the Come Together/D.S Medley. But it would have been funny if he performed it after he supposedly refused to perform any songs from the Victory album on the Victory tour.

Last edited:
he did want to preform remember the time but it drop because i don't know, he did preform it at the soul train awards.

If he couldn't perform the song properly because of an injury then the soul train award performance of RTT should have been cancelled. Or it should have at least been sung live. Lip syncing with no microphone while sitting down the entire time is embarrassing.

But maybe Michael did want to cancel the performance, but it was too late for him to do that?

it's not michael fault he broke his foot. in my opinion i love his performance at the soul train awards. also that's of rude to say, imagine if someone in a wheelchair couldn't perform standing up but was a great singer. be very careful what you say to people because you don't know them personally. i'm not in a wheelchair but pretty sure that would offend someone who is in the fan community.

Actually I agree with RTT live performance... It should be at least sung live and not lipsynched...

About RTT on Dangerous tour. He wanted to perform, but I guess Johnatan was it, who wrote that the song didn´t fit to the stage style or the concept of the tour...

it's not michael fault he broke his foot. in my opinion i love his performance at the soul train awards. also that's of rude to say, imagine if someone in a wheelchair couldn't perform standing up but was a great singer. be very careful what you say to people because you don't know them personally. i'm not in a wheelchair but pretty sure that would offend someone who is in the fan community.

I never said it was Michael's fault he injured himself, these things happen to people. And it was the lip syncing that bothered me about the performance, not Michael sitting down the entire time. If he couldn't dance properly then he should have sung live. Or at the very least performed some live adlibs.

And I don't know what to say about the whole wheelchair thing, because I don't know how you came to the conclusion that my post could be seen as offensive to people in wheelchairs.

Last edited:
Nite Line;4318706 said:
I doubt very much that Michael was planning on performing State of Shock during the History Tour. If he didn’t do it during Victory or Bad Tours, I doubt he was going to do it at the History Tour.

I mean, he did choose to include “In the Closet” on the HIStory tour set list... right after “Scream” and “They Don’t Care About Us.” He also did “Don’t Stop ‘til You Get Enough” and “Off the Wall” (as part of a medley) for the first time since 1981. Anything’s possible.

Edit: OTW was performed in ‘87. *insert embarrassed grin here*

Last edited:
Back