Confirmed HIStory Tour release for 2021?

Link me that footage.

So you don't think his early tours were good? That would be strange...me not liking HIStory is very acceptable imo
Calling them mediocre is very harsh, they are all professional performers/musicians and they worked just as hard as MJ to make the tours a success.

I've seen enough of MJ post Bad tour, I'm now fully exploring everything that came before and I love it more. Trust me...I'm a fan from the very beginning till now.

PS this is the last time I'm going to defend myself, it's very tiresome.

Michael had some ups and downs and agreements and disagreements with his brothers during his life. I wouldn't say his brothers are not talented but not on Michael level at all.

I would say they early tours all the way after the victory tour were great tours.

i'm not a fan of history Michael either so you not only one. he wasn't himself during this tour. I would say dangerous Michael is better than history Michael in my opinion.

2001 Michael was okay. he was on drugs and let's face it he was in 40's. but like I said it was nice to see him again with new music etc. though Sony kind of screw him over.

I think MJ took the piss with History Tour. He probably thought that he is MICHAEL JACKSON, so he can get away with lip-syncing. It was ridiculous that he didn't even try to hide his lip-syncing.

I don't think that was the case. I honestly just think that MJ couldn't perform (sing and dance), at the level that he did on previous tours. He just wasn't capable of doing that anymore. I understand why he chose to lip synch without condemning or condoning. Realistically a choice had to be made.

Speaking of the 30th anniversary shows, his voice sounds pretty damn good here
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">THIS ****ING PART <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/michaeljackson?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#michaeljackson</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Mjinnocent?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Mjinnocent</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MJFam?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#MJFam</a> <a href="https://t.co/w8xb0cbYN6">pic.twitter.com/w8xb0cbYN6</a></p>&mdash; &#8499;ichael Innocent (@MJacksoinnocent) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJacksoinnocent/status/1238576544123162624?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 13, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mikky Dee;4283528 said:
Check out the footage of the MSG concert that was filmed in the breaks.....when MJ was still on stage, bantering with the audience, the orchestra and others; dancing, singing live, etc. You may change your mind.

JichaelMackson;4283534 said:
Link me that footage.

This is one video of that footage, where you can listen how he teases the audience with his real voice (especially, during the final minute of the video) and how he really enjoys it:

[video=youtube;FGsdajJR9uk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGsdajJR9uk[/video]

Michael Jackson was certainly capable of singing fully live all of his solo songs during those two MSG nights (&#8216;The Way You Make Me Feel&#8217;, &#8216;Billie Jean&#8217;, &#8216;Black Or White&#8217;, &#8216;Beat It&#8217;, &#8216;You Rock My World&#8217;).

But he eventually chose to lip-sync his solo songs, for fear of forgetting his lines.

Aside from his lip-sync, I have to say that Britney Spears (for the first night of &#8216;The Way You Make Me Feel&#8217; performance) was not a good choice.

Britney Spears clearly shows (while she performs with him) that she does not enjoy it, and hence the on stage chemistry between the two of them does not work.

That performance of &#8216;The Way You Make Me Feel&#8217; looks like an ordeal for her.

And there is proof for that: some weeks before the two MSG concerts, she decided to back out from her commitment to perform with Michael Jackson, but her record label did not allow her to break the agreement that she had already signed for performing with him on September 7th, 2001.

This is the better performance of The Way You Make Me Feel from the 30th anniversary shows. He does the come ''Come on give it to me'' adlib at the end of the song like he did on the BAD Tour. And the random ''Hoooo's'' and ''Hee hee's'' sound great

Last edited:
This is the better performance of The Way You Make Me Feel from the 30th anniversary shows. He does the come ''Come on give it to me'' adlib at the end of the song like he did on the BAD Tour. And the random ''Hoooo's'' and ''Hee hee's'' sound great

that was pretty good. though you can tell he wasn't like he was in the late 80's. he not that energetic. though he was in his 40's which is understandable.

I always wished/wondered what this show wouldve been without mj high & a better setlist. I just don't think black or white should've been in there which was really weird to see him perform it in the billie jean jacket. Guess we'll never know

I don't think that was the case. I honestly just think that MJ couldn't perform (sing and dance), at the level that he did on previous tours. He just wasn't capable of doing that anymore. I understand why he chose to lip synch without condemning or condoning. Realistically a choice had to be made.

I didn't mean that he took the piss by lip-syncing. I meant that he took the piss by not making his lip-syncing look less blatant.

But I agree with what you are saying. I think MJ had to change his style. Like you said, he just wasn't capable of doing singing and dancing at that level anymore, so I think perhaps he needed to start to focus more on singing and less on dancing as he got older. I know that would have been hard for him, as he had danced his entire life, but some changes had to be made.

Yeah sorry I've seen the clips and it's cool he was in a good mood but he wasn't performing. Anyway the spontaneous random talking beats the rehearsed lines "the old songs the old fashioned way" and the million "I love you's".

I always wished/wondered what this show wouldve been without mj high & a better setlist. I just don't think black or white should've been in there which was really weird to see him perform it in the billie jean jacket. Guess we'll never know

I find it really surprising that MJ didn't perform Dangerous at the 30th anniversary. That was his most performed song from 1993-2002, so I'm surprised that wasn't a part of the set list for the 30th anniversary.

The 30th anniversary set list could have been a lot better. The solo songs MJ did were Billie Jean, Beat It, Black or White, The Way You Make Me Feel and You Rock My World. So, nothing from the Off The Wall and History Albums, which is quite disappointing.

IMO the first performance is better. He sings live the first part of the song. Oh and Britney looked hot :)

mj_frenzy;4283578 said:
This is one video of that footage, where you can listen how he teases the audience with his real voice (especially, during the final minute of the video) and how he really enjoys it:

Michael Jackson was certainly capable of singing fully live all of his solo songs during those two MSG nights (&#8216;The Way You Make Me Feel&#8217;, &#8216;Billie Jean&#8217;, &#8216;Black Or White&#8217;, &#8216;Beat It&#8217;, &#8216;You Rock My World&#8217;).

But he eventually chose to lip-sync his solo songs, for fear of forgetting his lines.

That's random speculation.
There's a huge difference in doing a little relaxed chat and freestyle "hee hee hoo hoo" with the audience and performing several songs LIVE start to end with dancing and singing. Especially rock power songs like Beat It and Black Or White would have been rather vocally exhausting. And his overall condition just wasn't good enough for it at that point in his life.

Last edited:
I always wished/wondered what this show wouldve been without mj high & a better setlist.

The Original known "setlist" (very loosely because it's not in order) is pretty good.

- Medley: Can You Feel It / Gates Of Kiev / ABC / The Love You Save (The Jacksons)
- I'll Be There (The Jacksons)
- I Want You Back (The Jacksons)
- Dancing Machine (The Jacksons)
- Shake Your Body Down To The Ground (The Jacksons)
- The Way You Make Me Feel (Michael Jackson)
- Black Or White (Michael Jackson)
- Beat It (Michael Jackson)
- You Rock My World (Michael Jackson)

^ Songs performed first night, a few songs from rehearsals were dropped

- Thriller (Michael Jackson)
- Rock With You (Michael Jackson)
- Heartbreak Hotel (Michael Jackson)

I also believe "One Day In Your Life" was planned? I recall seeing a video of the rehearsal but i can no longer find it, I might have confused it for another song but it was a duet IIRC.

I find it really surprising that MJ didn't perform Dangerous at the 30th anniversary. That was his most performed song from 1993-2002, so I'm surprised that wasn't a part of the set list for the 30th anniversary.

Very surprising for sure, Dangerous was pretty much part of a trio of "Heal The World" & "Black Or White" since 1993, being performed at almost every show. I would assume it would be simple to add, & he had already performed it back in 1999 (and then later again in 2002) & also costumes were simple, maybe they had planned a new version but not in time for the shows.

But I agree with what you are saying. I think MJ had to change his style. Like you said, he just wasn't capable of dancing at that level anymore, so I think perhaps he needed to start to focus more on singing and less on dancing as he got older. I know that would have been hard for him, as he had danced his entire life, but some changes had to be made.

Agreed.

The 30th anniversary set list could have been a lot better. The solo songs MJ did were Billie Jean, Beat It, Black or White, The Way You Make Me Feel and You Rock My World. So, nothing from the Off The Wall and History Albums, which is quite disappointing.

I agree. I feel the setlist should of been songs of each era. sorry to say this but i'm glad he didn't do dangerous. he did it way too many times.

mj_frenzy;4283578 said:

Michael Jackson was certainly capable of singing fully live all of his solo songs during those two MSG nights (‘The Way You Make Me Feel’, ‘Billie Jean’, ‘Black Or White’, ‘Beat It’, ‘You Rock My World’).

Aside from his lip-sync, I have to say that Britney Spears (for the first night of ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ performance) was not a good choice.

Britney Spears clearly shows (while she performs with him) that she does not enjoy it, and hence the on stage chemistry between the two of them does not work.

That performance of ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ looks like an ordeal for her.

And there is proof for that: some weeks before the two MSG concerts, she decided to back out from her commitment to perform with Michael Jackson, but her record label did not allow her to break the agreement that she had already signed for performing with him on September 7th, 2001.

I don't think remembering the lyrics was the reason because there was a teleprompter. At 2:02:

[video=youtube;hIsf8yCzzeA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIsf8yCzzeA[/video]

At the time, people did not seem to care about his lip-sync during the HIStory Tour.

I went back to that HIStory Tour era (1996-1997) and found many quotes that were overflowing with praise about those HIStory Tour concerts.

The interesting thing is that there were hardly any complaints at the time about his lip-sync during those shows.

Here are some quotes that come from people who actually watched those HIStory shows and then they wrote about the experience they had (these quotes were published at the time on press, magazines, newspapers, fan reports, etc.):

&#8220;King of Pop&#8217;s show an eye-popper&#8221;

&#8220;Savour the Moment&#8221;

&#8220;The best present to get anyone is a ticket to see Michael Jackson Live!&#8221;

&#8220;The concert is a multi-media experience so astonishing in its scope and professionalism that concertgoers will probably tell their children about it&#8221;

&#8220;Explosive&#8221;

&#8220;Michael was so ON!&#8221;

&#8220;The King of Pop reigns!&#8221;

&#8220;The concert of the century&#8221;

&#8220;The gloved one thrilled with explosive special effects, ultra-slick choreography and a string of self-penned hits&#8221;

&#8220;Michael proved that he really was the King of the stage, captivating the hearts and souls of his audience, dancing and evidently enjoying the whole spell-binding and enchanting performance&#8221;

&#8220;The entire experience was unforgettable to say the least&#8221;

&#8220;Music in a Crowd, Jackson in Great Form&#8221;

&#8220;The concert was brilliant&#8221;

&#8220;Michael - Thank You. Thank You for all the joy and inspiration you&#8217;ve given to me. I love you. Please come back&#8221;

There are of course many other similar quotes that praised his performance during the HIStory Tour concerts with hardly any reference to his lip-sync.

Yeah...the fans didn't really seem to care about the lip-syncing.

1:28 - 1:52

The Original known "setlist" (very loosely because it's not in order) is pretty good.

- Medley: Can You Feel It / Gates Of Kiev / ABC / The Love You Save (The Jacksons)
- I'll Be There (The Jacksons)
- I Want You Back (The Jacksons)
- Dancing Machine (The Jacksons)
- Shake Your Body Down To The Ground (The Jacksons)
- The Way You Make Me Feel (Michael Jackson)
- Black Or White (Michael Jackson)
- Beat It (Michael Jackson)
- You Rock My World (Michael Jackson)

^ Songs performed first night, a few songs from rehearsals were dropped

- Thriller (Michael Jackson)
- Rock With You (Michael Jackson)
- Heartbreak Hotel (Michael Jackson)

I also believe "One Day In Your Life" was planned? I recall seeing a video of the rehearsal but i can no longer find it, I might have confused it for another song but it was a duet IIRC.

Very surprising for sure, Dangerous was pretty much part of a trio of "Heal The World" & "Black Or White" since 1993, being performed at almost every show. I would assume it would be simple to add, & he had already performed it back in 1999 (and then later again in 2002) & also costumes were simple, maybe they had planned a new version but not in time for the shows.

You forgot Bad. Michael Bush made a jacket for it but it was never used due to time constraints. The Thriller jacket was all black similar to the Beat It jacket.

Honestly, sometimes you sound like you don't like him at all, or are one of those fans who only liked him until 1988.

Michael Jackson on his WORST freaking day was 45% better than everyone else. Check out the footage of the MSG concert that was filmed in the breaks.....when MJ was still on stage, bantering with the audience, the orchestra and others; dancing, singing live, etc. You may change your mind.

His genius tours sound awful instrumentally; plus we have to put up with the brothers' mediocrity.

Thank you thank you thank you.

The Jacksons shows sound like they are 8 bit. Especially the Victory Tour WBSS. Awful. Sharing stage space with the leech family of his too.

mj_frenzy;4283676 said:
At the time, people did not seem to care about his lip-sync during the HIStory Tour.

I went back to that HIStory Tour era (1996-1997) and found many quotes that were overflowing with praise about those HIStory Tour concerts.

The interesting thing is that there were hardly any complaints at the time about his lip-sync during those shows.

Here are some quotes that come from people who actually watched those HIStory shows and then they wrote about the experience they had (these quotes were published at the time on press, magazines, newspapers, fan reports, etc.):

King of Pop’s show an eye-popper

Savour the Moment

The best present to get anyone is a ticket to see Michael Jackson Live!

The concert is a multi-media experience so astonishing in its scope and professionalism that concertgoers will probably tell their children about it

Explosive

Michael was so ON!

The King of Pop reigns!

The concert of the century

The gloved one thrilled with explosive special effects, ultra-slick choreography and a string of self-penned hits

Michael proved that he really was the King of the stage, captivating the hearts and souls of his audience, dancing and evidently enjoying the whole spell-binding and enchanting performance

The entire experience was unforgettable to say the least

Music in a Crowd, Jackson in Great Form

The concert was brilliant

Michael - Thank You. Thank You for all the joy and inspiration you’ve given to me. I love you. Please come back

There are of course many other similar quotes that praised his performance during the HIStory Tour concerts with hardly any reference to his lip-sync.

The reason could be that most people didn't know that he was lip-syncing. I don't think they would have praised the concert that much if they had known that only few songs were live.

Where I live there were complaints about the miming. I remember on the news one woman saying that she could have put a CD on just as good as there was no difference at all. Responses were very lukewarm in general.

Honestly, sometimes you sound like you don't like him at all, or are one of those fans who only liked him until 1988.

This attitude from many fans that you have to live every single version of MJ or you aren't a true fan is ridiculous. Just because JichaelMackson doesn't like MJ after 1988 doesn't mean that he don't like him at all.

Michael Jackson on his WORST freaking day was 45% better than everyone else. Check out the footage of the MSG concert that was filmed in the breaks.....when MJ was still on stage, bantering with the audience, the orchestra and others; dancing, singing live, etc. You may change your mind.

Michael at 45% was still better than every single dancer, but not as a singer. I'm sorry to say but there are singers who are/were better than Michael, even when he was at 100%.

His genius tours sound awful instrumentally; plus we have to put up with the brothers' mediocrity.

Calling the brothers mediocre is just plain stupid. Just because there weren't as talented as Michael, it doesn't mean they were mediocre. They were an important part of the Jackson 5 / Jacksons, just like Michael was.

And give me Michael singing live every single song with "awful instrumentation" over Michael lip-syncing with great instrumentation.

What a horrible post.

Wasn't the MSG gig 'fixed' vocally for the television broadcast?

Not to mention the 'airbrushing'.

Whole thing was one big car crash.

I always wonder how the idea of 30th anniversary concerts came about. Whose decision was it? Was it Michael's idea or was he forced to do these concerts?

Nite Line;4283702 said:
I always wonder how the idea of 30th anniversary concerts came about. Whose decision was it? Was it Michael's idea or was he forced to do these concerts?

I believe David Gest has stated in the “The Life Of An Icon” documentary that it was his idea and that he suggested it to Michael.

Wasn't the MSG gig 'fixed' vocally for the television broadcast?

Not to mention the 'airbrushing'.

Whole thing was one big car crash.

Yeah I remember hearing about the airbrushing, but not with Michael (unless I've completely blocked it from my mind somehow). Whitney Houston got airbrushed because she looked horrendously skinny. I remember Entertainment Tonight claiming Michael's skin was "digitally lightened" but I don't know how much truth there is to that, especially since the press loved (and still loves) to mock him for his skin changing.

Back