Confirmed HIStory Tour release for 2021?

My HIStory Tour setlist - Songs in bold are songs sung 100% live

1. Scream/They Don't Care About Us/In The Closet
2. Another Part Of Me
3. Rock With You
4. Stranger In Moscow
5. Smooth Criminal
6. You Are Not Alone
7. Can You Feel It/Blame It On The Boogie/Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)/Don't Stop Til You Get Enough (Medley)
8. Is It Scary
9. Billie Jean
10. Black Or White
11. Dangerous
12. Blood On The Dance Floor
13. The Way You Make Me Feel (With live adlibs)
14. Beat It
15. Earth Song (with Live live adlibs)
16. HIStory (with Live live adlibs)
17. Man In The Mirror (Live vocals come in half way through the song like on the BAD Tour)

Last edited:
Going back to the main point of the thread... I do believe that there are some good History shows, but no matter how HD the quality is, Munich should never be released IMO. If they find a good show from the early '97 concerts (go take a look at Gelsenkirchen or Amsterdam), and manage to add some live vocals here and there it would be a much better release choise.

I personally think when touring to promote an album most of the setlist should be of the album (in ideal ways it should be the entire album). The This is it setlist would have worked as a greatest hits package as it wasn't promoting an album

The bad setlist after the first leg was very good with 7 bad songs on the tour. The Dangerous/HIStory setlist were too safe and aimed at the hits.

This would be my Dangerous setlist:

1. Dangerous
2. Medley Jam/In the Closet/She drives me wild/
3. I can't let her get away
4. Will you be there
5. Liberian girl
6. She's out of my life
7. Billie Jean
8. The Way You Make Me Feel
9. Give in to me
10. Black or White
11. Who is It
12. Bad
13. Another part of me
14. Remember the time
15. Heal the World
16. Keep the faith

Going back to the main point of the thread... I do believe that there are some good History shows, but no matter how HD the quality is, Munich should never be released IMO. If they find a good show from the early '97 concerts (go take a look at Gelsenkirchen or Amsterdam), and manage to add some live vocals here and there it would be a much better release choise.

Overall I'd say the 1996 shows are better than the 1997 shows. But if there was a release I think they should just edited together the best moments from the tour together.

analogue;4284775 said:
Overall I'd say the 1996 shows are better than the 1997 shows. But if there was a release I think they should just edited together the best moments from the tour together.

Nah I’m hoping for an early ‘97 show too. In ‘97 he looked better, sounded better, perfected parts of the tour and did Blood on the Dance Floor.

Check this performance, it's easily one of the best I've seen from the tour. So again, I'm not saying that Munich should not be released just because it's a History tour show.

The video below proves that there were some very good energetic concerts too, and Munich was NOT of them.

Check this performance, it's easily one of the best I've seen from the tour. So again, I'm not saying that Munich should not be released just because it's a History tour show.

The video below proves that there were some very good energetic concerts too, and Munich was NOT of them.

Absolutely! That's easily one of the best Scream performances out there.

Hulkamaniac;4284780 said:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cbL_OGuBiwA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one is great, probably the beat I have seen from HIStory. But damn it is so obvious he is lip syncing here. He intensity of the vocals doesn’t match the way he “sings” it here. Oh well, this will be must last comment on this subject anyways.

I think the only reason why they are thinking about releasing Munich is that its HD. I don't think they would release non HD HIStory Tour concert.

MJ sounded better in 97 than 96? no way.. His voice was a mess in 97.

The Brunei-Hawaii part of the tour, AKA the very final concerts of the 1st Leg, Late December 1996-January 1997 I think is the very best live vocal period of the History Tour.

Last edited:
I think the only reason why they are thinking about releasing Munich is that its HD. I don't think they would release non HD HIStory Tour concert.

Yeah. And because it was shot with more cameras than usual.

Snek;4284778 said:
Nah I&#8217;m hoping for an early &#8216;97 show too. In &#8216;97 he looked better, sounded better, perfected parts of the tour and did Blood on the Dance Floor.

I agree, he sounded so much better in 97

I know that, and that's why I said "but no matter how HD the quality is, Munich should never be released"...

he sounded so much better in 97

can you name examples?

01:21:39 Kuala Lumpur 96 - see here beat it ending.. sounds better than any 97 show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmcHZMyAnc0

05:40 Brunei 96 - Sounds Awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRzhvCMIAE

05:37 Bucharest 96 - Sounds good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgnBPZwJeg8

05:38 Gothenburg 97 - same ending - its okay... but the kuala lumpur definitely wins cause its on point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFe13I0jADM

05:37 Helsinki 97 - okay but still not beats KL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J6n265CQSE

5:39 Copenhagen 97 - bit better than Helsinki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq4oB-6FNp8

5:74 Basel 97 - same as Copenhagen kinda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOUHlp55bOo

Last edited:
Kuala lumpur from what I have seen is great. I like the sound on that show. Munich is worst vocally no doubt. I wouldnt mind if they made it "best of" type of show.

What show would you say has the best live vocals for Wanna Be Startin Somethin?

Why can't they release best performances of Michael's career throughout his career, instead of releasing one concert from a specific tour?

Agree.

This is so true. The first time that I watched a History tour on TV I really was expecting MITM as the final song. I couldn't believe that it ended with History.

I agree. but he probably did it because it was the history tour after all. though, he could of just did the song in the opening. but hey. his tour. his thing.

Ending the shows with the song HIStory always felt really underwhelming to me. I get that Michael wanted to change things up and end with something different to Man In The Mirror, but if he was going to do that I think Earth Song would be have been the better choice to end the show with.

Ending the shows with the song HIStory always felt really underwhelming to me. I get that Michael wanted to change things up and end with something different to Man In The Mirror, but if he was going to do that I think Earth Song would be have been the better choice to end the show with.

That's a nice choice.

Would you go as far and agree with analogue's suggestion? You can put it in a separate post then.

Because I felt that Michael should of always put a song the spread a message to close out his tours. yes man in the mirror is a message song and so is history but earth song is also a song that spread a message about the earth. just like heal the world. i feel any song that had a message should close out the tours.

History was the perfect song to end the shows.

I agree. like it was the history tour. so it's understandable for him to use that song to end the tours. either if he didn't. that song still should be in the list because hello! it's the history tour lol!

dethorro;4284811 said:
Worse than Seoul? I don’t think so.

Forgot about Seoul. I think its clear why MJ only officially released it in Korea lol.

MJ sounded better in 97 than 96? no way.. His voice was a mess in 97.

He sounded poor for a small stretch (including Munich) because he had an illness affecting his throat. Copenhagen and Gothenburg are probably the most consistent vocal performances of the whole tour. Later on in the tour fatigue had set in and he seems visibly bored, so the vocals do not shine. Bremen, Gelsenkirchen, Amsterdam etc all sound good vocally.

In 1996 honestly in my opinion the majority of vocal performances sound either strained or like he was suffering some kind of illness. Auckland, Tunisia, Seoul, Manila. The dancing is frequently energetic but he looks and sounds worse in my opinion.

Back