the Jacksons' sports classic.

They were not really mainstream popular like most of the other acts. I doubt the average TV viewer of the time knew who The Runaways were.
That is such a good question and I'd like to know that myself. As a variety show fanatic as a kid I knew most of these people. But I never heard of Joan Jett until she made that movie with Michael J. Fox in 87 and had to ask who she was. I figured it was because I didn't listen/know rock groups. Pretty sure I had never heard of Rod Stewart back then either.

That is such a good question and I'd like to know that myself. As a variety show fanatic as a kid I knew most of these people. But I never heard of Joan Jett until she made that movie with Michael J. Fox in 87 and had to ask who she was. I figured it was because I didn't listen/know rock groups. Pretty sure I had never heard of Rod Stewart back then either.
Rod was pretty big in the 1970s and had been around since the 1960s in different bands like Small Faces. But the Runaways were more an underground rock group, with some punk rock mixed in. Their music wasn't really "underground" in sound, kinda like KISS & Foghat sort of rock. They were mainly known as being a band of teenaged girls that played instruments, rather than a singing "girl group". They weren't the first all female band, they were maybe the first who got any sort of popularity. Rock had a primarily male audience and so most did not take females doing it seriously. Joan Jett didn't become popular until the 1980s after The Runaways broke up. She had a few Top 40 hits, but overall was not that big on the radio. Other members also found some fame in the 1980s, like Michael Steele who was in The Bangles, and Lita Ford, who was kinda glam metal aka "hair metal". Hair metal was really popular during the mid to late 1980s.

^^you know your music.* I admit I wasn't familiar with Rod back then but then I had an aversion to anything I considered "hard rock". It seems like I just looked up and there he was. :). But a lot of people were like that for me with a few exceptions.

Or I "discover" somebody now and find out they've been around for five decades.

I've been trying to research how they got on the show since they had just formed and apparently weren't big here but gigantic in Japan. I thought maybe an agent or manager had a connection to ABC. But I can't find anything.

*I'm always impressed with your posts.

Last edited:
^^you know your music.* I admit I wasn't familiar with Rod back then but then I had an aversion to anything I considered "hard rock". It seems like I just looked up and there he was. :). But a lot of people were like that for me with a few exceptions.

Or I "discover" somebody now and find out they've been around for five decades.

I've been trying to research how they got on the show since they had just formed and apparently weren't big here but gigantic in Japan. I thought maybe an agent or manager had a connection to ABC. But I can't find anything.

*I'm always impressed with your posts.
The Runaways are sort of what they call a cult act, like when Peter Gabriel was the lead singer of Genesis instead of Phil Collins. The Phil led lineup was much more successful. The movie equivalent would be Rocky Horror Picture Show. They're known to a niche audience but less known by the mainstream. The Runaways had a biopic made a few years ago, but this is probably due to the later success of some members.

BTW, Joan Jett got inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year, while there are bands like Deep Purple, Dire Straits, Jethro Tull, who are IMO all bigger and more influential names in rock, that are still not inducted. I only know Joan Jett as a "one hit wonder" (I Love Rock and Roll) but that's probably just due to my ignorance about her catalog.

Barbee, it's interesting what you say about Rod Stewart and how different geographic location and cultural background can shape our views. I live in Central Europe, in a white country that has a rock bias in people's taste for music. So Rod Stewart was pretty big here in the 70s-80s. (I am talking about the general taste here, not mine personally. I always leaned more towards R&B, which, especially in the 80s, early 90s was a rather unusual taste here.) I would not call him hard rock though. I think he is more soft-rock, pop-rock. I always viewed his music as more geared towards houswives. LOL.

BTW, Joan Jett got inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year, while there are bands like Deep Purple, Dire Straits, Jethro Tull, who are IMO all bigger and more influential names in rock, that are still not inducted. I only know Joan Jett as a "one hit wonder" (I Love Rock and Roll) but that's probably just due to my ignorance about her catalog.
That's basically Jann Wenner & Rolling Stone magazine. It's who they want to put in, not really based on anything else. Hard rock, progressive rock, punk rock, & heavy metal were never really the focus of Rolling Stone. It was more into blues based rock like The Rolling Stones, early Fleetwood Mac, The Who, & Eric Clapton. Most of the acts in the Hall are boomer era which is Wenner's generation.

Rock & Roll Sports Classic {1978}

This was uploaded in 2018. It says it is the full program. I haven't watched it yet so don't know, but the video quality is no better than the others that have been posted in the past. Might be worse.

Michael Jackson & Rod Stewart

Rod Stewart and Michael Jackson attend First Annual Rock N Roll Sports Classic on March 12, 1978 at the University of California in Irvine, California.
rod-stewart-and-michael-jackson-attend-first-annual-rock-n-roll-on-picture-id147692629

rod-stewart-and-michael-jackson-attend-first-annual-rock-n-roll-on-picture-id147692716

Leif Garrett, Joan Jett (The Runaways), William King (Commodores), Jackie Jackson, Vicki Blue (The Runaways), Marlon Jackson, Janet Jackson
913fb049f40b0a2ae85b7393602200845e9d9e8b.jpg

Back