Just Good Friends - What's wrong with it?

The community need to realize every fan not gonna like a song. and to call someone odd or wired just because they like the song is dumb. though if it meant to be an joke then okay. i'm guess i'm odd then. i always have. LOL. :) but if not then that's kind of rude for the community.

I loved when Michael and Stevie featured each other. when they sing together it sounds awesome. not only that but you can see the enjoyment when their together. i like some of stevie songs too. :)

I love streetwalker. Michael wanted that song to be on the album so bad and i can see why. hahaha. :laughing:

Well I don't mind JGF. But I must say I was quite disappointed when I first heard JGF. It's not that it's a bad song, it's just that I expected a far better song for a MJ+Stevie Wonder duet. JGF is rather underwhelming song by two greats. And their other duet Get It is absolute crap. It's funny when fans overrate that song and say that it's better than JGF. It's not even close to JGF in terms of quality and JGF isn't even a great song.

Overall, JGF is a decent song that deserves its place on Bad, but I do wish that we had got a better duet song from MJ and Stevie.

Last edited:
Nite Line;4272407 said:
Well I don’t mind JGF. But I must say I was quite disappointed when I first heard JGF. It’s not that it’s a bad song, it’s just that I expected a far better song for a MJ+Stevie Wonder diet. JGF is rather underwhelming song by two greats. And their other duet Get It is absolute crap. It’s funny when fans overrate that song and say that it’s better than JGF. It’s not even close to JGF in terms of quality and JGF isn’t even a great song.

Overall, JGF is a decent song that deserves its place on Bad, but I do wish that we had got a better duet song from MJ and Stevie.
I agree with all this

I love just good friends. but i'm not a fan of get it. everyone has their own taste. i really wish fans stop making threads like this.

I used to hate it idk why. Maybe it was too poppy for me? But now I really like it. The melodies and the duet with Stevie has grown on me

I guess it was the same expectation with the Mac n Jac duets. People had expected sth else instead they got The Girl is Mine. The stronger cuts went on Paul's album. Not being a musician, I can't pinpoint what it is people knock about the song. Let's just say it's a matter of taste.

NatureCriminal7896;4272383 said:
I love streetwalker. Michael wanted that song to be on the album so bad and i can see why. hahaha. :laughing:

Actually this is not true at all. They had a very limited time, and They had to make a choice between streetwalker and Another part of me. And we all know, how Michael had decided… :)

true but he also want it streetwalker on the album too but they couldn't put it on there during the time. like you said limited of space. i like another part of me. it's one of my favorite songs on this album as well. Bad was suppose to be a triple album but didn't work out during the time. if it did he could of put all those songs on the album. he probably would of been the first artist to make an triple album. and boy we knew that would been expensive which probably why it didn't happen. lol. but that would of made lot of money especially this was also during his prime.

though we kinda got that with Bad25 which was awesome. i hope we get some more Bad stuff for BAD35 or 40.

Last edited:
lubyss;4272765 said:
Actually this is not true at all. They had a very limited time, and They had to make a choice between streetwalker and Another part of me. And we all know, how Michael had decided… :)

The right choice was made with Another Part Of Me.

Looking back another part of me was a great choice but i still love streetwalker. good thing we now have those songs together on the later releases and remastered albums. :)

‘Just Good Friends’ is undoubtedly the weakest song on the ‘BAD’ album, which also explains why it was not released as a single at that time.

The background story is that Michael Jackson simply wanted with that song to cement even more his long-time friendship that he had with Stevie Wonder (the two men had also been collaborating since The Jackson 5 days), so he decided to record a duet with him for inclusion on the ‘BAD’ album.

The song did not aim at boosting the sales of the ‘BAD’ album, nor was the song meant to achieve big commercial success at the time.

The song was more like a personal thing for Michael Jackson towards Stevie Wonder, and it acted as a way for Michael Jackson to show his gratitude to him by including the song on such a much anticipated and important album (‘BAD’).

mj_frenzy;4273617 said:
‘Just Good Friends’ is undoubtedly the weakest song on the ‘BAD’ album, which also explains why it was not released as a single at that time.

The background story is that Michael Jackson simply wanted with that song to cement even more his long-time friendship that he had with Stevie Wonder (the two men had also been collaborating since The Jackson 5 days), so he decided to record a duet with him for inclusion on the ‘BAD’ album.

The song did not aim at boosting the sales of the ‘BAD’ album, nor was the song meant to achieve big commercial success at the time.

The song was more like a personal thing for Michael Jackson towards Stevie Wonder, and it acted as a way for Michael Jackson to show his gratitude to him by including the song on such a much anticipated and important album (‘BAD’).

In my opinion the song is amazing. Actually when I heard the song for the first time I loved it. I don´t care what the charts say, and as Michael said one time: "If the kids like the song, then it´s a hit, no matter what the charts say". I was a kid when I listened to it and I love it.
But I understand your opinion.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it as such, it's just it's Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder, two of the greatest artists in history. It should have been epic and iconic, and just a bit of a filler on Bad, in comparison to the other huge songs on the album

I think they should have wrote something together, that would have been magic no doubt. Or a dream of mine would have been fro them to duet on Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming or a completed version of Don't Be Messin' Round maybe

Get It was a way better product than Just Good Friends, but i still like JGF slightly more.

Also, it took years for a colab between the 2 to come out, Stevie was supposed to produce a J5 album back in 1974 (I recall Buttercup was one of the songs out of that colab) but never got finished.

Stevie

Stevie was supposed to produce a J5 album back in 1974
One of those songs (You're Supposed To Keep Your Love For Me) was later re-recorded for Jermaine's 1980 solo album Let's Get Serious. Stevie produced Jermaine's version and 2 other songs on that album. Stevie & Jermaine wrote I Think It's Love from 1986. Mike, Betty Wright, & The O'Jays backgrounds sang backgrounds on Stevie's All I Do from 1980. Stevie & Mike were part of the choir on Donna Summer's State Of Independence. Stevie also played harmonica on a song called My Love Has Passed You By from LaToya's debut album.

I think what's wrong with it is the uninteresting ad-libs and the mono-duet "I think the lady/Is still making/Up her mind/Tell her that we're just good friends"...It's just boring. Predictable beat, and the fills sound congested to me.

I think it would have done good with less of a beat, like more acapella, and less instruments, but bring out an instrument. You know? Like, it could have been a great outro song with just Michael's vocals and Stevie's vocals, including the backing vocals. I think it was too colorful, and mimicked the swingy, snare-stomp rhythms of the other songs (like Speed Demon and The Way You Make Me Feel). It's like in the ad libs they didn't know what to say except "doggone luvah" and "na na na na na na na NAH" and "WHOOO HOO"

I think the main reason the song didn't work was because it wasn't written by either artist. They were just singing someone else's song, which is completely and utterly ridiculous, since we're talking about Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson. I think for artists at their level, the public pays closer attention to things like who wrote the song, because people want to feel know that the artist performing a song has a personal connection to the music they're singing. I could tell right from the start that the song didn't seem like it came from either artist, didn't have their sound. So, that gave the impression of it being gimmicky. It's an insult to the two artists, because each of them is worthy of their work being featured, not a third party's by them. And it's an insult to the public's intelligence, as though the producer of the song is telling them, "yeah, this song wasn't written by Stevie or Michael, but you have to love it anyway because THEY performed it." No, we don't HAVE to love it and we (collectively) don't.

Last edited:
I think the main reason the song didn't work was because it wasn't written by either artist. They were just singing someone else's song, which is completely and utterly ridiculous, since we're talking about Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson. I think for artists at their level, the public pays closer attention to things like who wrote the song, because people want to feel know that the artist performing a song has a personal connection to the music they're singing. I could tell right from the start that the song didn't seem like it came from either artist, didn't have their sound. So, that gave the impression of it being gimmicky. It's an insult to the two artists, because each of them is worthy of their work being featured, not a third party's by them. And it's an insult to the public's intelligence, as though the producer of the song is telling them, "yeah, this song wasn't written by Stevie or Michael, but you have to love it anyway because THEY performed it." No, we don't HAVE to love it and we (collectively) don't.
I think it isn't good because the composition of the instruments is not interesting and they do not complement each other. The bass should have been replaced with a more mellow sound, maybe more strings would be nice. There's no time for the ears to rest on that song, it sounds like constant noise; and the chorus has repetitive lines, kind of like when people sing "la la la la la" after the main harmony/verse is sung. I think the song would have been better if Michael sang it by himself.

It's a good song, but in all honesty, it's the weakest one on the album. There's even songs on disc 2 of Bad25 IMO that would have made better choices on the original in it's spot. Not all songs can be number 1 hit songs.

I personally prefer JGF over some other Bad songs like Speed Demon or Leave Me Alone, but I stress that none of these three seems bad to me, far from it, it's my favorite album and from the way I see it, it shows that MJ made an effort to surpass Thriller

The song is completely mediocre and unnecessary to include on the album. To think that "Leave Me Alone" didn't make the cut on the original version, but this crap did. Tsk tsk. Should have just been a B-side or something.
I agree. Leave Me Alone should have been on the original version and Just Good Friends as a "bonus" on the CD version.

Reactions: MJ5
I don't think the CD version should have added any tracks at all. Bonus tracks are fine on special editions or anniversary editions of the album, but if it's just the standard CD version, nah. Feels cheap to randomly add in a track one year later just for the CD release, leading people to think it was there from the start. The album would end up looking worse if a song as bland as "Just Good Friends" was added later, just as it ended up looking better when a song as good as "Leave Me Alone" was added later.

Last edited:
I don't think the CD version should have added any tracks at all. Bonus tracks are fine on special editions or anniversary editions of the album, but if it's just the standard CD version, nah. Feels cheap to randomly add in a track one year later just for the CD release, leading people to think it was there from the start. The album would end up looking worse if a song as bland as "Just Good Friends" ended up on the standard CD version, just as it ended up looking better when a song as good as "Leave Me Alone" was added.
I can't imagine bad without lma & lol the way you say it...as if the album hasn't come out yet & he shouldn't do that. It's done & sealed now

Back