What songs would you swap to another album?

Lark

Proud Member
To me, I always feel like there is at least one song on each album that feels like it could have been on another. (Starting from Off The Wall) except for Blood on the Dancefloor and Invincible. Blood on the dancefloor, I think every new song fit perfectly and could never live anywhere else. With Invincible, the sound was so new and different, music had evolved away from New Jack Swing and I don't think any of it would fit on another album.

These are not changes I would make, more like sounds that I hear. I feel like these songs are set apart from the rest on the album and could have found a home just as easily somewhere else.

It's the Fallin in Love- sounds like some of his motown songs I think
Wanna be Startin Something- Definitely sounds like Off The Wall to me, I did read it was intended to be at one point
Beat It- Until I was in my 20's I actually thought this was on Bad
Liberian Girl- Dangerous. Dangerous always had an international/exotic feel to it, I feel like it would fit on that album.
Keep the Faith- The sound reminds me more of what we heard on Bad
This Time Around- Have always felt that this sound fits with Dangerous so well!

Lark

Re: What songs would you swap?

Hey Lark :ciao:

I first thought about 'unreleased' stuff when I read the title of the thread :unsure:

Now, I know you mean the 'flavours' to the song on each album.

It's the Fallin in Love- sounds like some of his motown songs I think
Wanna be Startin Something- Definitely sounds like Off The Wall to me, I did read it was intended to be at one point
Beat It- Until I was in my 20's I actually thought this was on Bad
Liberian Girl- Dangerous. Dangerous always had an international/exotic feel to it, I feel like it would fit on that album.
Keep the Faith- The sound reminds me more of what we heard on Bad
This Time Around- Have always felt that this sound fits with Dangerous so well!

I would have loved to see 'Rock with you' on "Thriller". To me, fits with 'Beat it' and 'Billie Jean'.
Indeed, funny thing is when I play the "Thriller" album I have to remind myself that 'Wanna be startin' Somethin' is ON "Thriller" and NOT on 'Off the wall. It really has that 'don't stop till you get enough' 'flavour'.
'Beat it' on "BAD" :blink: Okay, they have the same theme but NAH, then 'Billie Jean' would feel 'lonely' on the "Thriller" album. :lol:
Yeah, 'Keep the faith' is like in the lines of 'Man in the mirror' but I think ONE anthem an album is enough.
'This time around' has to me on the HIStory album to fit the whole 'healing' process :sigh:

I think that the demo songs on the Ultimate Collection are so 'underrated' and don't get the shine they deserve cause we are only so loyal to buy a box with only 14 new DEMO'S among 4 discs of music we already owned. :blush:

'Sunset driver' has a "Dangerous" flavour to it.
'Scared of the Moon' would get a spot in HIStory as it can be 'catalogued' as a story :D
'Cheater' has "Dangerous' written all over it.
'Monkey Business' has a "BAD" flavour.
'Fall again' would fit "BOTD" perfectly for me cause I missed a SOUL song on that album :blush:
'In the Back' is "HIStory" material.
'Beautiful girl' would fit "BAD" I think.
'The way you love me' would have a spot for "HIStory" to smooth the whole "anger" songs.
'We've had enough' would have been COOL on "Invincible".

COOL thread :punk:

Indeed, funny thing is when I play the "Thriller" album I have to remind myself that 'Wanna be startin' Somethin' is ON "Thriller" and NOT on 'Off the wall. It really has that 'don't stop till you get enough' 'flavour'.

This is exactly what I mean, and I totally agree with that one! It's got that disco sound that Off the Wall has.

'Beat it' on "BAD" Okay, they have the same theme but NAH, then 'Billie Jean' would feel 'lonely' on the "Thriller" album.

True, I wouldn't actually swap this because I like the album the way it is. Maybe it's because I grew up listening to Weird Al sing "Eat It" and "Fat" on the same cassette tape, but I always felt like Bad and Beat it belonged together somehow!

Yeah, 'Keep the faith' is like in the lines of 'Man in the mirror' but I think ONE anthem an album is enough

:agree: I totally agree. Those two songs are like long lost siblings, they can never be together but they compliment still compliment each other! Like two sides of a coin :heart:

[/QUOTE]'Scared of the Moon' would get a spot in HIStory as it can be 'catalogued' as a story
'Monkey Business' has a "BAD" flavour. [/QUOTE]

Totally agreed! Scared of the Moon really reminds me of Little Susie, I wonder if it was ever between the two to put on the album? When I listen to Scared of the Moon, I always imagine the same little girl I imagine when I listen to Little Susie.

That is interesting that you hear Dangerous in Sunset Driver, I sort of hear it two in an early incarnation of it. I hear Off The Wall more then anything, it's got a bit of that carefree disco sound.

I feel like Thriller was the last album when he heard him sing like he had no cares in the world, he had this happy carefree sound in his voice... I hear in Bad and everything after like there is a weight in his heart. Do you hear this too?

What is BOTD? Sorry I never did learn all the short forms of songs...

Lark

This is exactly what I mean, and I totally agree with that one! It's got that disco sound that Off the Wall has.

True, I wouldn't actually swap this because I like the album the way it is. Maybe it's because I grew up listening to Weird Al sing "Eat It" and "Fat" on the same cassette tape, but I always felt like Bad and Beat it belonged together somehow!

:agree: I totally agree. Those two songs are like long lost siblings, they can never be together but they compliment still compliment each other! Like two sides of a coin :heart:
'Scared of the Moon' would get a spot in HIStory as it can be 'catalogued' as a story
'Monkey Business' has a "BAD" flavour. [/QUOTE]

Totally agreed! Scared of the Moon really reminds me of Little Susie, I wonder if it was ever between the two to put on the album? When I listen to Scared of the Moon, I always imagine the same little girl I imagine when I listen to Little Susie.

That is interesting that you hear Dangerous in Sunset Driver, I sort of hear it two in an early incarnation of it. I hear Off The Wall more then anything, it's got a bit of that carefree disco sound.

I feel like Thriller was the last album when he heard him sing like he had no cares in the world, he had this happy carefree sound in his voice... I hear in Bad and everything after like there is a weight in his heart. Do you hear this too?

Lark[/QUOTE]

1997 Mix of the HIStory album, short film in a disco featuring the name of a girl called susie ;)

Ahhh Blood on the Dancefloor... but there was no short film with Little Suzie was there? I have only seen the Tony Moran History lesson vid, is that the one?

Lark

'Fall again' would fit "BOTD" perfectly for me cause I missed a SOUL song on that album

Hmm for me, Blood on the Dance Floor has such an industrial sound, I sort of think Jam could find a sense of belonging there. But it's a bit different, being mostly remix.

Lark

Wasn't an early demo Keep The Faith written during the recording of the Bad album but Michael didn't like that version of it? Maybe that's why it sounds like it could have been on Bad

^^ Agreed, I don't know why the used it on HIStory, I guess it was a filler? sounds mean but it was, I love it don't get me wrong but of course it belonged to BAD.

I'd say Liberian Girl wouldn't fit anywhere else, I know the style Dangerous has fits it but I can't imagine BAD being my fave without Liberian Girl in it! I agree though with WSS and how it has that Off the Wall vibe and also I think Human Nature could've been part of BAD, I don't know it has that fresh, eclectic sound IMO.

I dunno about swapping or anything, but I think HISTORY and BLOOD ON THE DANCEFLOOR could have been essentially the same album.
There were a few clunkers on History (little susie, for instance. HORRRRIBLE, BORING, etc.)

Anyhoo, a better tracklisting for HISTORY (in which BOTDF never came out a year later).

1.Scream
2.They Don't Care About Us
3.Stranger In Moscow
4.This Time Around
5.Ghosts
6.Money
7.D.S.
8.Is It Scary
9.You Are Not Alone
10.Come Together
11.Blood On The Dancefloor
12.2 Bad
13.Childhood
14.Tablod Junkie
15.History
16.Smile

Singles: Scream, Childhood, You Are Not Alone, Blood On The Dancefloor, They Don't Care About Us, Ghosts, Stranger In Moscow

Hmm, I always thought "This Place Hotel" (a.k.a. Heartbreak hotel) would've fitted better on one of Michael's albums, rather than the Jacksons' Triumph, because he did all the vocals (while the other family members did the percussion and Tito added a guitar solo). If I had to choose which album, I'd say "Bad", rather than "Off the wall". It's nature, to me, fit the Bad album the most.

Hmm, I always thought "This Place Hotel" (a.k.a. Heartbreak hotel) would've fitted better on one of Michael's albums, rather than the Jacksons' Triumph, because he did all the vocals

You've just described the majority of the Jacksons and Jackson 5 catalog of music.

Ahhh Blood on the Dancefloor... but there was no short film with Little Suzie was there? I have only seen the Tony Moran History lesson vid, is that the one?

Lark

Bahahaha I was WAY to tired when I wrote this! Obviously, yes, I've seen the "Suzie + Me" Blood on the Dancefloor short film.

Lark

^^ Agreed, I don't know why the used it on HIStory, I guess it was a filler? sounds mean but it was, I love it don't get me wrong but of course it belonged to BAD.

I think Human Nature could've been part of BAD, I don't know it has that fresh, eclectic sound IMO.

It was an interesting choice, because of course half of HIStory was a "Best of" collection. In a way it might have made it onto the other disc, but then at the same time didn't belong there because it wasn't on Bad and wasn't one of his greatest hits. It's true it could have had a home on Bad, but once more I'm happy it ended up the way it did. Bad was right to be all knew work, no covers.

I never thought about that before, but now that you mention it, I do hear what you mean about Human nature.

Lark

I dunno about swapping or anything, but I think HISTORY and BLOOD ON THE DANCEFLOOR could have been essentially the same album.
There were a few clunkers on History (little susie, for instance. HORRRRIBLE, BORING, etc.)

Anyhoo, a better tracklisting for HISTORY (in which BOTDF never came out a year later).

1.Scream
2.They Don't Care About Us
3.Stranger In Moscow
4.This Time Around
5.Ghosts
6.Money
7.D.S.
8.Is It Scary
9.You Are Not Alone
10.Come Together
11.Blood On The Dancefloor
12.2 Bad
13.Childhood
14.Tablod Junkie
15.History
16.Smile

Singles: Scream, Childhood, You Are Not Alone, Blood On The Dancefloor, They Don't Care About Us, Ghosts, Stranger In Moscow

That's not really what I intended to say, what I mean is, are there songs that to you sound like they could have fit with another album? For example, some of us feel like Wanna Be Startin Somethin has a sound to it that really fits Off the Wall, even though it's on Thriller. I feel like Liberian Girl has a sound that fits with Dangerous because that album had a very international feel to it, and I think that song has a lot of the same sounds.

Once again, I absolutely love Little Suzie and I don't think it's boring or horrible, I think it's beautiful and I appreciate it very much, it's just my opinion. But in this thread, let's not bash songs :) Let's observe them!

I've begun to realize that my wording of the title of this thread is not quite right. I didn't mean what would you swap if you could... I mean, do you hear a song that could be happy in another home? Under the roof of another album?

Lark

Lark I changed the name of the title for you - What song would you swap to another album?

That's not really what I intended to say, what I mean is, are there songs that to you sound like they could have fit with another album? For example, some of us feel like Wanna Be Startin Somethin has a sound to it that really fits Off the Wall, even though it's on Thriller. I feel like Liberian Girl has a sound that fits with Dangerous because that album had a very international feel to it, and I think that song has a lot of the same sounds.

Once again, I absolutely love Little Suzie and I don't think it's boring or horrible, I think it's beautiful and I appreciate it very much, it's just my opinion. But in this thread, let's not bash songs :) Let's observe them!

I've begun to realize that my wording of the title of this thread is not quite right. I didn't mean what would you swap if you could... I mean, do you hear a song that could be happy in another home? Under the roof of another album?

Lark

Oh. Eh. Well, I expanded on your idea, I guess.

And as a fan, I think I can say an MJ song is horrible as my opinion...err, I mean, I can OBSERVE that it's a bad song.
You can be a giant fan of someone's work and not have to like every piece that went out, donchaknow :)

Fortunately, with MJ, the clunkers he's put out are very few and far between.

Oh. Eh. Well, I expanded on your idea, I guess.

And as a fan, I think I can say an MJ song is horrible as my opinion...err, I mean, I can OBSERVE that it's a bad song.
You can be a giant fan of someone's work and not have to like every piece that went out, donchaknow

Fortunately, with MJ, the clunkers he's put out are very few and far between.

I didn't mean to offend you, I just get defensive about that song because it is so special to me... I understand it's not for everyone, but it's hard for me to see it refered to as a "clunker".

Lark

Oh, no, you didn't offend me.

Come to think of it, that's pretty much the only MJ song I don't like.
Lost Children is a close 2nd, but the melody saves it. Nice melody, but those lyrics and the creepy choir that sound like the wizard of oz munchkins...

CRY should have been the only obligatory "world peace" anthem on Invincible.

Yass. Replace 2000 Watts with Morphine.

2000 Watts is ok... but it's a throwaway track. B-side material.

And replace Little Suzie with Superfly Sister (not in the actual track number, but somewhere on the album).
HIStory desperatly needed another up-tempo, non-angry song on the album (even though it was his dark album that every artist makes at some point).

It was an interesting choice, because of course half of HIStory was a "Best of" collection. In a way it might have made it onto the other disc, but then at the same time didn't belong there because it wasn't on Bad and wasn't one of his greatest hits. It's true it could have had a home on Bad, but once more I'm happy it ended up the way it did. Bad was right to be all knew work, no covers.

I never thought about that before, but now that you mention it, I do hear what you mean about Human nature.

Lark

Yes now that you mention it, I'm very glad the record consisted of original songs only and not hits by other people, not that it was bad (no pun intended) but the record wouldn't have been the same thinking about it. And yes actually I think Human Nature could find a place on any of his records, I just love it. I also think I Can't Help It sounds like a song out of Thriller, it has a similar vibe to the early demo of P.Y.T.

it has a similar vibe to the early demo of P.Y.T.

I have read about this early demo, but have never had the pleasure of listening to it. Where did you hear it?

Lark

I have read about this early demo, but have never had the pleasure of listening to it. Where did you hear it?

Lark

Do you own "The Ultimate Collection"? if so, it's track #6 on Disc 2 :)

Ohhh no I don't own it but I thought I had heard them all. Thank you!!

Lark

Ohhh no I don't own it but I thought I had heard them all. Thank you!!

Lark

Ohh ok no problem and well, if you haven't heard it here it is :) I couldn't find it on YT since they were all copyrighted

Sorry mjslovelyone88 - Download link removed - Team MJJC
Members Please place all DL links in our 2000 Watts multimedia forum and then place that link on the main board.

Lark

Sowwy, for this late reply :blush: Just bumped into this thread :doh:

Thanks to Zakk for explaining what BOTD is :scratch:

In answer to the BOLD stuff.

I felt Michael's voice change since History :blush: more angry, more mature, less soulful :sigh: Just like he 'grew up' then :blush:
There is NO shame in saying you don't like some songs. INVINCIBLE really had to grow on me :blush: cause It was NOT so PURE as Thriller or BAD.

I catch myself listening much MORE to the Thriller and BAD 'carefree' songs than to the 'angry' and 'hurt' songs in later years :blush:

Back