Michael Jackson Nominated For the Pop Music Hall of Fame.

GGVVGGCC22331122;4176255 said:
Thank you, P.D.P., I’m so glad. But, you do agree with me that the “Rock” music-oriented publications (such as “Rolling Stone,” my previous example I had cited) all share at least some degree of prejudice and/or bias amongst their readership, writers and editorial board, when it comes to certain artists they either do or don’t like? These publishers, writers and editors of “mainstream” magazines are all a part of the larger media, that we well know has its long-time bias against Michael, for the most part. What do you think, P.D.P.?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
I do agree.:yes:
It's pretty obvious that the Trolling Stone is biased.

Hess;4175881 said:
I think there is no doubt he was an amazing vocalist.

Just listen to the Motown audition - and he was what - 5 years old??

Then listen to Human Nature from the This Is It rehearsals... - 45 years later - the voice was better than ever!!

The range in which he could sing was amazing, from best of you to Morphine, 2000 Watts to You are not alone. - Dirty Diana to She's out of my life.

No doubt he had problems with his voice in the late 90's - and therefore a lot of playback on the HIStory tour. - BUT he was a great live singer.

You were there - Amazing.

And the rehearsal footage from both Dangerous Tour - and the This Is It footage showed he could perform and sing at the same time. - Perfectly....

Great comments from you, Hess. One little correction, though. Michael wasn’t five when he auditioned for Motown. He was nine years old going on ten, as his tenth birthday would have come up in August of 1968. The general public, as a whole (on a national and international scale — most people outside of Indiana) wouldn’t even have known who the Jackson family was, until after the Jackson brothers’ national T.V. debut at the very end of the 1960’s, going into the turn of the ’70’s. By that time, Michael would have been at least 11 years of age.

However, I couldn’t agree with you any more so, when it came to the overall great sound and the quality of his vocals — as my favorite word for them is: “BEAUTIFUL” — especially, when he sang ballads. Honestly, Hess, though the faster-paced songs were sung very well, I’d much rather prefer to listen to the absolutely stunning beauty of his voice when he performed the slower-paced ones.

I’m glad your comments mainly focus on his adult vocal skills, rather than so much on his child and earlier teenage years.’ You are one of the few people who make the decision to do what the media largely hadn’t had the nerve, the chutzpah, nor nearly enough true courage, to do. Let the public know how great Michael’s still-young-sounding adult voice was, so that those abilities of his will never be ignored, nor ever forgotten about.

You did mention “She’s Out of My Life,” “You Are Not Alone” and the final LIVE version of “Human Nature” from “This Is It,”* (A song unbelievable, for a then 50-year-old man, in 2009, to have actually sung as great as he had* — AMAZING!!!) which I also love. Why not include the songs, “Butterflies,” “Speechless,” the guest vocals from Michael on Barry Gibb’s song, “All in Your Name” (Those fabulous ascending high notes he hit, towards the very end of that song — WOW!!! ❤❤), both versions of “I'll Be There” — about seven or eight years, or so, apart (performed in 2001 and 2009, respectively), “Someone Put Your Hand Out” and my most favorite song from “This Is It” (which is “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You”) as well? They’re wonderful songs, too.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
^^Thanks!! I can see the Jackson 5 getting in since they broke records with their first four songs.
Can't believe Smokey and the Miracles aren't on the list!

I actually hope Michael himself gets in, and then maybe the Jackson 5.
I just feel like between the two that Michael the solo artist had the bigger impact on pop culture.:yes:
But then again I'm mainly an OTW and everything after it fan. :yes:

I even get the Jacksons and the Jackson 5 mixed up.
I'm just like whats the diff because they both had MJ, and that's all I care about.:rofl:

Last edited:
time

I actually hope Michael himself gets in, and then maybe the Jackson 5.
I just feel like between the two that Michael the solo artist had the bigger impact on pop culture.:yes:
But then again I'm mainly an OTW and everything after it fan. :yes:
Not going by the time period of the other inducted acts. Mike solo wasn't really that relevant before 1980. The Off The Wall album came out later in the year of 1979. Maybe they're getting the older acts out of the way. Even going by the acts that are nominees this year, only Mike & Billy Joel are the only ones that had major popularity after the 1970s. Maybe you can count Rod Stewart, Diana Ross, & Aretha Franklin, as they still had hits in the 1980s. But they debuted in the early & mid 1960s. I think the newest act is ABBA and their first record came out in the early 1970s. I'm not sure this is about having the most impact on pop culture. If that was the criteria, I don't think The Dave Clark Five or Tony Orlando & Dawn would be nominated.

December 31, 2016
tumblr_okzpjkzJ6b1rw606ko1_r6_400.jpg

Michael Jackson, ABBA and Billy Joel are among 15 pop acts selected for 2017 induction into America’s Pop Music Hall of Fame. Michael Jackson, in his first year of eligibility, topped the public on-line vote. The new inductees were announced Thursday.

Also newly-elected into the Hall of Fame by public vote are the Dave Clark Five, Earth Wind & Fire, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, the Jackson Five, Diana Ross and Rod Stewart. In the “Legends” category, The Hall of Fame nomination board chose Pat Boone, Fats Domino, the Drifters, Connie Francis and Bobby Vee in recognition of their influence on pop music.

Inductees had to have a charted song prior to 1980 to be considered and were selected from 20 nominees chosen by a national music industry panel based on the breadth, depth and influence of the artists’ recordings.

The artists join Paul Anka, the Association, the Beach Boys, the Bee Gees, the Beatles, Tony Bennett, Glen Campbell, Carpenters, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Chubby Checker, Chicago, Nat King Cole, Perry Como, Bobby Darin, Neil Diamond, Dion, The Eagles, The Everly Brothers, the Four Seasons, the Grass Roots, Buddy Holly, Elton John, Tom Jones, Carole King, Brenda Lee, the Lettermen, Barry Manilow, Dean Martin, Johnny Mathis, Paul McCartney, the Monkees, Ricky Nelson, Roy Orbison, Patti Page, the Platters, Elvis Presley, Paul Revere& the Raiders, the Righteous Brothers, Linda Ronstadt, Neil Sedaka, Simon & Garfunkel, Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, the Supremes, the Temptations, Three Dog Night, Johnny Tillotson, Bobby Vinton, Andy Williams and Stevie Wonder in America’s Pop Music Hall of Fame.
In previous years, the Hall of Fame nomination board has chosen Les Paul and Mary Ford (2015) and Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby, the Ink Spots and the Mills Brothers (2106) as Pop Music Hall of Fame “Legends” for their influence on pop music.

America's Pop Music Hall of Fame board is currently working with local and state officials to construct a permanent facility. Current plans are for a large, multi-use performance venue as well as both permanent and rotating exhibits. America’s Pop Music Hall of Fame is based in Canonsburg, the home of Perry Como, Bobby Vinton and the Four Coins, who together placed nearly 200 songs on the Billboard charts. Canonsburg is just south of Pittsburgh, PA

Election of the sixth class of inductees will be in September 2017.

Seems weird that MJ was not the first artist to be in the Pop Music Hall of Fame...

It's because just like in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, here as well a certain number of years have to pass since the first album released by that artist. This was the first year MJ was eligible based on that criteria.

Ah, OK, then it makes sense. - No doubt he will be inducted then. King of Pop needs to be there.

After looking at those induction lists for the past 3 years, I fail to see how very many of them could even be considered "pop artists"...unless they're using it as short for "popular". In either case, I'm glad Michael's nominated; they did call him the "King of Pop" after all.

respect77;4183789 said:
It's because just like in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, here as well a certain number of years have to pass since the first album released by that artist. This was the first year MJ was eligible based on that criteria.
They're not going by albums, but singles. This is from the site: "Inductees had to have a charted song prior to 1980 to be considered and were selected from 20 nominees chosen by a national music industry panel based on the breadth, depth and influence of the artists’ recordings."
Moviefan2k4;4184076 said:
I'm glad Michael's nominated
Both the Jackson 5 & Mike solo have won for 2017. These are all of the inductees for this year:
"Michael Jackson, ABBA and Billy Joel are among 15 pop acts selected for 2017 induction into America’s Pop Music Hall of Fame. Michael Jackson, in his first year of eligibility, topped the public on-line vote. The new inductees were announced Thursday.

Also newly-elected into the Hall of Fame by public vote are the Dave Clark Five, Earth Wind & Fire, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, the Jackson Five, Diana Ross and Rod Stewart. In the “Legends” category, The Hall of Fame nomination board chose Pat Boone, Fats Domino, The Drifters, Connie Francis and Bobby Vee in recognition of their influence on pop music."

After looking at those induction lists for the past 3 years, I fail to see how very many of them could even be considered "pop artists"...unless they're using it as short for "popular". In either case, I'm glad Michael's nominated; they did call him the "King of Pop" after all.
Pop IS short for popular. Pop has only recently turned into a genre itself in the last few decades.
Back in the 30's and 40's Big Band and Swing was considered pop. Everybody loved it. Later on, it was the rockabilly, blues and soul that became pop. As a genre moves into the mainstream, it becomes pop.

Pop

Pop IS short for popular. Pop has only recently turned into a genre itself in the last few decades.
Back in the 30's and 40's Big Band and Swing was considered pop. Everybody loved it. Later on, it was the rockabilly, blues and soul that became pop. As a genre moves into the mainstream, it becomes pop.
Rap has been pop music for over 20 years now (in the US), which seems to be longer than any other genre of music has remained popular on the Top 40. Others were mainly popular for short periods like disco, doo wop, rockabilly, glam metal (aka hair metal), new wave, psychedelic, grunge, nu-metal, etc. The sound of rap has changed though, and at the moment the trap sound is in. Hip hop is pretty much the younger generations rock music, they haven't lived in a world where it hasn't existed. Rock doesn't have the same mainstream popularity it did with baby boomers. Rock is kind of like what easy listening was to the rock generation, their grandparents music. Even with the Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame, the rock acts inducted in recent years are still mainly boomer era acts like ELO & Steve Miller Band, but the newest acts are rap like Tupac Shakur & NWA.

Back