You Are Not Alone

ScreenOrigami;4273696 said:
Well, they don’t actually say it like that, but if you add up all the experience they’re asking for, you’d have to have started out 5 years old. ;)

Oh, history, that’s super interesting! I hope you’ll find a nice job soon. :)

A friend of mine is currently in the same situation: he graduated in history and can’t find a job. He decided to go back to university to specialize in one particular field while working a half-time job in a supermarket.

I did a similar thing in my field. I specialized in a small niche subject and became an expert on that. So I did pretty much the opposite of what the job market demands. I think it’s good advice to aim at becoming this:

eisenstaedt_alfred_329_2002_449284_displaysize.jpg

instead of that:

kkxv3cqvd8az.jpg

I am a web accessibility consultant, btw., and what I do is help companies to make their websites accessible for people with disabilities.

In Portugal they say it like that. Even in beauty stores you have to be an expert in everything and they even ask 20 years of experience.
But he´s lucky if he found a job in part time, because here even that is difficult. I guess I will be trying, because I can´t go back to university, it´s too expensive.
Your job is very interesting btw, it changes peoples lives :)
History is cool but its very hard. Sometimes me and my friends wanted to give up but we did it. :D

DifferentKindOfLady;4273697 said:
In Portugal they say it like that. Even in beauty stores you have to be an expert in everything and they even ask 20 years of experience.
But he´s lucky if he found a job in part time, because here even that is difficult. I guess I will be trying, because I can´t go back to university, it´s too expensive.

Yep, even part time jobs are hard to find these days. I don’t know about Portugal, but in Germany, mail delivery services are almost always hiring. I delivered mail for years, while I was building my skills in web design (which is what I started out with before I specialized). It’s a hard job and it doesn’t pay well, but you get to be outdoors and talk to many people, without the boss sitting in your back all the time. I enjoyed that a lot. :)

DifferentKindOfLady;4273697 said:
Your job is very interesting btw, it changes peoples lives :)

Thanks. :) Yes, I want to make a difference in this world, that’s always the goal. :)

I never heard about mail delivery services , I think in Portugal theres no such thing.
Thats good because the world needs more people like you :)

ScreenOrigami;4273698 said:
Yep, even part time jobs are hard to find these days. I don’t know about Portugal, but in Germany, mail delivery services are almost always hiring. I delivered mail for years, while I was building my skills in web design (which is what I started out with before I specialized). It’s a hard job and it doesn’t pay well, but you get to be outdoors and talk to many people, without the boss sitting in your back all the time. I enjoyed that a lot. :)

Thanks. :) Yes, I want to make a difference in this world, that’s always the goal. :)

I never heard about mail delivery services , I think in Portugal theres no such thing.
Thats good because the world needs more people like you.

DifferentKindOfLady;4273705 said:

I might have worded that one wrong. What I mean is mail delivery as in delivering parcels and letters. :)

You spend some time each morning sorting the letters and/or parcels according to your route and then you go out and deliver everything. It’s fun. You sometimes have to deal with shitty weather and other inconveniences, but I loved it. You get to see so many people every day. :)

It the same in the UK tbh, everyone has to be educated now, I’ve just started my first year in university at 50 lol, I’m doing crime scene science as I would love to be a fire investor, I don’t know who I’m kidding if I’m honest, I’m to old and I’ll never get employed in that field, I’ll probably end up either without a job or cleaning like I’ve always done

ScreenOrigami;4273706 said:
I might have worded that one wrong. What I mean is mail delivery as in delivering parcels and letters. :)

You spend some time each morning sorting the letters and/or parcels according to your route and then you go out and deliver everything. It’s fun. You sometimes have to deal with shitty weather and other inconveniences, but I loved it. You get to see so many people every day. :)

Oh I know what it is! Its the postman I think. Of course we have that here but I never remember that. Im going to check that. :)

Alh21;4273715 said:
It the same in the UK tbh, everyone has to be educated now, I’ve just started my first year in university at 50 lol, I’m doing crime scene science as I would love to be a fire investor, I don’t know who I’m kidding if I’m honest, I’m to old and I’ll never get employed in that field, I’ll probably end up either without a job or cleaning like I’ve always done

But here even the so called educated people are having difficulties finding a job. Its the same for everyone. Oh my God I thought it was just here but after all its everywhere. I wonder if in the USA its better because its my dream to go there.
Its never too late to follow our dreams so if that is what you want you should never give up. Who knows? Maybe you can find a job in that field

For everyone who needs to hear this today: Believe in yourself. :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Believe in Yourself &#9996; <a href="https://t.co/gJOroc7T1p">pic.twitter.com/gJOroc7T1p</a></p>&mdash; Michael jackson (@Kingofpopmike19) <a href="https://twitter.com/Kingofpopmike19/status/1186916722986639360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 23, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't feel lonely 😂👌 moreover sometimes I want to run away from people around me. It's too much activity, you know. And I'm just scary gargoyle on a tower, that you made with plastic power 😁

Back