Confirmed HIStory Tour release for 2021?

MJ was vocally never better from 1970 to 1981. The Victory and Bad tours were still great as well but after that the less said the better about his live vocals imo

I disagree with you.
In my opinion, Michael grew as a vocalists during the 80s and 90s. He sounded way more mature and could hit lower notes while still being able to belt C5s and D5s.
Sure, he may have not sounded as great live from the Dangerous Tour onwards but he was always absolutely amazing in the studio.

I disagree with you.
In my opinion, Michael grew as a vocalists during the 80s and 90s. He sounded way more mature and could hit lower notes while still being able to belt C5s and D5s.
Sure, he may have not sounded as great live from the Dangerous Tour onwards but he was always absolutely amazing in the studio.

Also agreed. For me his peak as an adult live vocalist is before 1988 and in the studio is the 10 years from 1985 through 1995.

He never combined the energetic performances + live vocals better than on the Triumph Tour. Imo the fact that he was starting to mime during the 2nd part of the Bad tour proves that he was beginning to get less good.

ChrisC what vocals during the Dangerous tour do you find good? I honestly don't look at clips often from that tour as I just can't stomach the miming.
It's hard to say how good he was in the studio , you never quite know how much was tinkered with the vocals. It all doesn't take away that Dangerous is my favorite album.

PS The Gone too soon live performance is brilliant, I wish he did an unplugged concert or something

split screen

Camera from the side, camera too close to the stage, split screen bullshit.
Split screen was kinda common for concert footage during that time (and also music related TV shows). Like in the Woodstock & Elvis On Tour concert movies. Same for psychedelic visual effects during the late 1960s and early 1970s. People accepted it then. So what's the problem?

Re: split screen

Split screen was kinda common for concert footage during that time (and also music related TV shows). Like in the Woodstock & Elvis On Tour concert movies. Same for psychedelic visual effects during the late 1960s and early 1970s. People accepted it then. So what's the problem?

Similar thing with "Save The Children 1972" with "I Wanna Be Where You Are"

What could be done however is releasing more concert audio. MJ was vocally never better from 1970 to 1981. The Victory and Bad tours were still great as well but after that the less said the better about his live vocals imo
I think he sounded great on Dangerous Tour. Jackson 5 Medley and She's Out of My Life were great. Some songs didn't sound very good because of the headset mic.

ChrisC what vocals during the Dangerous tour do you find good? I honestly don't look at clips often from that tour as I just can't stomach the miming.
It's hard to say how good he was in the studio , you never quite know how much was tinkered with the vocals. It all doesn't take away that Dangerous is my favorite album.

What on earth are you on about???

JichaelMackson;4282327 said:
It's hard to say how good he was in the studio , you never quite know how much was tinkered with the vocals.

Yes, we do quite know how much was tinkered with his vocals. Have you ever listened to anyone who was working in the studio with him? :laughing:

Grab a copy of Joe Vogel’s book “Man in the Music” – it’s a great starting point to learn about MJ’s studio work, song by song. Listen to the individual songs as you read, preferably with high quality headphones, to catch all the details. Treat yourself to a few a cappella versions where available. Then reassess your statement above. ;)

Brad Sundberg posted this dialogue on Facebook a while ago:

''Andy: What about digital pitch correction?
Brad: Excuse me Andy... what did you just say?
Andy: Ummm, digital pitch correction... you know, to fix less-than-perfect vocals. I think a lot of singers do that.
Brad: Class, you are now free to enjoy your recess - except young Andy. He will stay and write on the chalkboard 250 times, "Michael Jackson didn't want, need or use pitch correction on his vocals."

I'll leave it at that.

I hope we get to see that concert at some point. I wonder if he had that mic for Human Nature too?

I honestly think that we have enough Dangerous tour shows for now lol. And imo, his vocals don't sound any better than on any other show we've seen.

Michael knew how to change his vocals. Michael knew how to sing. he didn't need autotune like today artists. which is sad because that goes to show you we don't have talent anymore.

Brad Sundberg posted this dialogue on Facebook a while ago:

''Andy: What about digital pitch correction?
Brad: Excuse me Andy... what did you just say?
Andy: Ummm, digital pitch correction... you know, to fix less-than-perfect vocals. I think a lot of singers do that.
Brad: Class, you are now free to enjoy your recess - except young Andy. He will stay and write on the chalkboard 250 times, "Michael Jackson didn't want, need or use pitch correction on his vocals."

I'll leave it at that.

greez brad. no need to be hash. dang. but he right though. Michael didn't no type of edit software to "fixed" his vocals.

I can't be the only one that wants more concert footage of the 70s?
I've seen "music and me " and "one day in your life" live in Mexico 1975 and for me it's a treasure as both are in my top 10 MJ songs. That spontaneous Michael was all gone since the Victory tour. I wish Thriller never was as big as it was.

So in the Patti Austin thread it is proven he also sang "it's the falling in love" live. He also did "walk right now" a couple of times in the early 80s and "we're almost there" in the late 70s. I'd take footage over that above anything else... I'm pretty sure there must be more songs out there he did live that just was forgotten in time

I can't be the only one that wants more concert footage of the 70s?
I've seen "music and me " and "one day in your life" live in Mexico 1975 and for me it's a treasure as both are in my top 10 MJ songs. That spontaneous Michael was all gone since the Victory tour. I wish Thriller never was as big as it was.

So in the Patti Austin thread it is proven he also sang "it's the falling in love" live. He also did "walk right now" a couple of times in the early 80s and "we're almost there" in the late 70s. I'd take footage over that above anything else... I'm pretty sure there must be more songs out there he did live that just was forgotten in time

His early solo career deserves more recognition imo. That era is sadly overlooked. Everything was "live", no playback and full of energy. I know Taj isn't in charge of releases but maybe he could talk to his uncle's about any Jacksons concert release in the foreseeable future? Maybe the estate would listen to them.

His early solo career deserves more recognition imo. That era is sadly overlooked. Everything was "live", no playback and full of energy. I know Taj isn't in charge of releases but maybe he could talk to his uncle's about any Jacksons concert release in the foreseeable future? Maybe the estate would listen to them.

Well he didn't rate it himself much as he never did any of those songs again except for that dreadful medley ( I'm so sick of that lol). I'd love to see J5 concerts in the States to get a feeling of the mania the Jackson 5 were. The Mexico concert while superb is not the same as the Mexicans didn't have a clue who the Jackson 5 were.

I also read one day "get on the floor" was performed live once too at one of the Triumph concerts. I sure hope that's true!

There's nothing I want more than a J5 concert from one of their early tours!

Maybe the Munich concert is the most famous one, however the version we always watch it's the edited one, 4th of July and 7th of July combined, so unless they release the 4th of July night without edition, or the 7th of July without edition. I'm good if we get Munich! :cool:(y)

Is there any chance live vocals existed but were dubbed or not picked up by the mics? This would explain the backup singers lipsyncing also. If munich had multitracks then maybe live vocals could be mixed in?

If munich had multitracks then maybe live vocals could be mixed in?

If that was the case, I sure hope they use another show's multitracks (at least for the voice) because in Munich his voice wasn't in good condition.

So how confirmed is this. I know Branca said its in the works (paraphrasing)? but.... im still waiting to see thriller 3D and s couple other things that were being worked on.

Well he didn't rate it himself much as he never did any of those songs again except for that dreadful medley ( I'm so sick of that lol). I'd love to see J5 concerts in the States to get a feeling of the mania the Jackson 5 were. The Mexico concert while superb is not the same as the Mexicans didn't have a clue who the Jackson 5 were.

I also read one day "get on the floor" was performed live once too at one of the Triumph concerts. I sure hope that's true!

I have not heard anything about that, & all the tapes I know don't have the song.

JichaelMackson said:

Walk Right Now was performed between July 8th - before August 12, 1981 (possible known latest is July 24), those are the only possible dates for the song to be performed.

Stevie Wonder appeared during the November 9, 1979 show in Uniondale during The Jacksons' set.

News report at the time claimed Michael lip-synced "Don't Stop" during the July 28, 1981 show in Lakeland, but it's probably wrong.

Also the Patti Austin thing, Superfest, correct? It's "Stuff Like That", not "It's The Falling In love"

We're Almost There? No clue, I know that in at least 1975, they performed, at minimum, 28 shows, so maybe among those shows, it's there. There's also 6 J5 (not Jacksons) shows performed in 1976, so maybe it's there.

Last edited:
They would never mix in live vocals (if there are some). Not from MJ and not from the Backing-Singers.. why? Because this is not how the show happened.. this is not what the crowd heard.

besides that MJs voice wasn't good at all on that tour especially munich.. listen to WBSS or the ending of Beat It and tell me something different..

besides that MJs voice wasn't good at all on that tour especially munich.. listen to WBSS or the ending of Beat It and tell me something different..

Agreed.

They would never mix in live vocals (if there are some). Not from MJ and not from the Backing-Singers.. why? Because this is not how the show happened.. this is not what the crowd heard.

I don't know about that. I believe that they mixed in more live vocals at the end of Smooth Criminal on the Wembley DVD than the public actually heard at the concert. Again, this is just an opinion but I feel like the first three ''I don't know's'' were not heard by the audience (as they never were on any other Bad Tour concert) (4:04). Plus, Michael gives the usual hand signal (for them to stop the playback) after the three ''I don't know's'' (4:09).
They also added a live ''hoo'' at 3:18.
You be the judge!

^lol but that was a little edit. The History tour show was 98% playback and we the fans and also the people who has watched the show on TV know that.

^lol but that was a little edit. The History tour show was 98% playback and we the fans and also the people who has watched the show on TV know that.

Yeah, I guess you're right!
However, what I was trying to say is that I don't believe that the estate cares if the public initially heard the concert this way or that way.
I'm not expecting them to edit in live vocals throughout the whole 2 hours either. I was just thinking that they may use some more live vocals to make the performance more interesting.

Back