In your opinion - What is Michael's Worst Song?

^ I didn't like She Drives Me Wild for long, but now it's one of my favorite songs.

I always liked Just Good Friends and I didn't understand why it had to be criticized so much in the Bad25 docu, LOL. There are better songs, alright, but it's not that bad.

Just good friends is really a lot like the girls is mine with an updated sound. They are both just having so much fun, and you can hear it in their voices!

Lark

Now for me, i'm not saying it as worst, but it's just a few that are just Not my personal faves or don't care much for & here are mine:

OFF THE WALL ALBUM

Girlfriend
It's The Falling In Love
Burn This Disco Out

THRILLER ALBUM

Baby Be Mine
The Girl Is Mine
PYT(Pretty Young Thing)

BAD ALBUM

Just Good Friends
Streetwalker

DANGEROUS ALBUM

I Can't Let Her Get Away
Heal The World
Keep The Faith

HISTORY ALBUM

Earth Song
DS
Little Susie
2Bad

INVINCIBLE ALBUM

Invincible
Heaven Can Wait
Cry
The Lost Children

So there's my list right there

I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the songs on Off the Wall, but I would still be happy to listen to them, if that makes sense.

Now for me, i'm not saying it as worst, but it's just a few that are just Not my personal faves or don't care much for & here are mine:

OFF THE WALL ALBUM

Girlfriend
It's The Falling In Love
Burn This Disco Out

THRILLER ALBUM

Baby Be Mine
The Girl Is Mine
PYT(Pretty Young Thing)

BAD ALBUM

Just Good Friends
Streetwalker

DANGEROUS ALBUM

I Can't Let Her Get Away
Heal The World
Keep The Faith

HISTORY ALBUM

Earth Song
DS
Little Susie
2Bad

INVINCIBLE ALBUM

Invincible
Heaven Can Wait
Cry
The Lost Children

So there's my list right there

Wow, you mentioned a few of my favourite MJ songs: Streetwalker, Keep The Faith, 2Bad... It's amazing how people can have such different preferences :)

Privacy

I think the only one I can't tolerate is Privacy. I'm not that fond of songs like The Lost Children or Gone Too Soon, but I don't totally dislike them. But I mostly only listen to them if I play the entire album, but Privacy gets skipped. :laughing:

Well, for me it is like this...

OFF THE WALL ALBUM

Worst: Girlfriend
Best: Off the Wall

THRILLER ALBUM

Worst: The Girl Is Mine, Thriller (sry guys, just don´t like the album version)
Best: The rest of the album :)

BAD ALBUM

Worst: Just Good Friends
Best: Leave Me Alone, Speed Demon

DANGEROUS ALBUM

Worst: I Can't Let Her Get Away
Best: She Drives Me Wild, Who Is It, Give in To Me, In the Closet

HISTORY ALBUM

Worst: You Are Not Alone, Stranger in Moscow, This time Around, Childhood
Best: Little Susie, Scream, Tabloid Junkie

INVINCIBLE ALBUM

Worst: Cry, Speechless
Best: Threatened, Privacy, 2000 Watts, Don´Walk Away

don´t know where to put TDCAU, cause the album version is kinda long and boring for me, but the live edit is just perfect and amazing...

Two songs, You Are My Life and Don’t Walk Away. Not MJ worthy in my opinion and I think that I will be bashed for having this opinion.

I’ve never really had an affinity for Privacy either. I was actually surprised when I learned it was a Rodney Jerkins production. Definitely his weakest song on the album.

BUMPER SNIPPET;3617042 said:
MJ's songs are not weak. Michael's originality resides in the fact that he knew music very well. He was juggling with it. By doing so he managed to touch all kinds of public. Some songs are more jazzy, some songs are more rocky, some more poppy, some more funky, some more with influence of classical music, some more Christmas-like, some more bluesy, some more disco-ey, etc.

He did release some weak songs, though.

For example, ‘This Time Around’, ‘Don’t Walk Away’, ‘You Are My Life’, ‘She's Out Of My Life’, ‘Cry’, ‘Can't Let Her Get Away’ are weak songs.

There is also a strange thing about ‘You Are My Life’: although it is a song with happy, optimistic lyrics, Michael Jackson sounds slightly sad while he sings it.

DuranDuran;4307960 said:
I think the only one I can't tolerate is Privacy. I'm not that fond of songs like The Lost Children or Gone Too Soon, but I don't totally dislike them. But I mostly only listen to them if I play the entire album, but Privacy gets skipped. :laughing:

‘Privacy’ has also a line that does not make sense.

In the song’s section where he refers to the death of Princess Diana, he sings at one point the “…but on that cold winter night…” line.

But Princess Diana died on August 31st, 1997, which was certainly not in winter.

mj_frenzy;4308006 said:

In the song’s section where he refers to the death of Princess Diana, he sings at one point the “…but on that cold winter night…” line.

But Princess Diana died on August 31st, 1997, which was certainly not in winter.

That line makes a lot of sense because I believe he was talking about when he was strip searched in December 1993 (so in the winter of that year), not about Princess Diana.

About Princess Diana:
Some of you still wonder why, one of my friends had to die
To get a message across, that yet you haven’t heard
My friend was chased and confused, like many others I knew

About Michael:
But on that cold winter night, my pride was snatched away

About Princess Diana:
Now she get no second chance, she just ridiculed and harassed
Please tell me why? (Hold on) (mercy)

About Michael:
Now there’s a lesson to learn, respect’s not given, it’s earned
Stop maliciously attackin' my integrity

mj_frenzy;4308006 said:

That line “on that cold winter night, my pride was snatched away”, I think Michael is referring to his strip search in December of 1993. I don’t think that line is referring to Princess Diana at all.

dethorro;4308008 said:
That line makes a lot of sense because I believe he was talking about when he was strip searched in December 1993 (so in the winter of that year), not about Princess Diana.

About Princess Diana:
Some of you still wonder why, one of my friends had to die
To get a message across, that yet you haven’t heard
My friend was chased and confused, like many others I knew

About Michael:
But on that cold winter night, my pride was snatched away

About Princess Diana:
Now she get no second chance, she just ridiculed and harassed
Please tell me why? (Hold on) (mercy)

About Michael:
Now there’s a lesson to learn, respect’s not given, it’s earned
Stop maliciously attackin' my integrity

Nite Line;4308009 said:
That line “on that cold winter night, my pride was snatched away”, I think Michael is referring to his strip search in December of 1993. I don’t think that line is referring to Princess Diana at all.

I am aware of this theory (about the line being probably about him and his strip search that took place in December).

But even if that theory was true and the line was indeed about him, then the line looks very out of place because it is placed in the middle of the song’s section about the death of Princess Diana.

I suspect that Michael Jackson used that line in a figurative way (with that, he wants to show us that her death caused cold, winter feelings to him because they were close friends).

One More Chance on Number Ones. Boring song which features Michael’s worst vocal delivery imo. Really repetitive chorus. It doesn’t help that it came out at a horrible time. I have strongly disliked this song from the first time I heard it.

mj_frenzy;4308006 said:
He did release some weak songs, though.

For example, ‘This Time Around’, ‘Don’t Walk Away’, ‘You Are My Life’, ‘She's Out Of My Life’, ‘Cry’, ‘Can't Let Her Get Away’ are weak songs.

There is also a strange thing about ‘You Are My Life’: although it is a song with happy, optimistic lyrics, Michael Jackson sounds slightly sad while he sings it.

I honestly don’t think She’s out of my life and CLHGA are weak songs. I think I’m one of the very few who rates CLHGA very high in his discography. I think it’s one of the best tracks on Dangerous.

Nite Line;4308014 said:
One More Chance on Number Ones. Boring song which features Michael’s worst vocal delivery imo. Really repetitive chorus. It doesn’t help that it came out at a horrible time. I have strongly disliked this song from the first time I heard it.

OMc vocal delivery is not one of his finest moments I agree. If he would have sung this song in the 80s or even in the dangerous era this would have been one of my all time favorite MJ tracks.

Out of his main discography (i.e., the songs he released in his lifetime), I'd choose "Cry." Michael had countless options for Invincible's token environmental/cultural awareness anthem -- "What More Can I Give," "People of the World," "I Have This Dream," "Shout" -- and yet he chose to go with R. Kelly's tepid, hollow submission. I'll never understand why.

If we're including his unreleased and posthumously-issued material, I'd choose the 2010 remix of "Chicago." I commend Cory Rooney and Taryll Jackson for pushing the sonic envelope, but it's the only Michael Jackson song that I consider to be utterly unlistenable. The production doesn't match the vocals whatsoever, and it's almost unmusical to a criminal degree. There are many counterpoints to the argument that a song can only be properly completed by its original producer -- "This Is It," "Another Day," "Behind the Mask," "Much Too Soon," "Love Never Felt So Good," "Do You Know Where Your Children Are (2010 Remix)," "Stay (2010 Remix)" -- and this tops the list in my opinion.

Out of his main discography (i.e., the songs he released in his lifetime), I'd choose "Cry." Michael had countless options for Invincible's token environmental/cultural awareness anthem -- "What More Can I Give," "People of the World," "I Have This Dream," "Shout" -- and yet he chose to go with R. Kelly's tepid, hollow submission. I'll never understand why.

If we're including his unreleased and posthumously-issued material, I'd choose the 2010 remix of "Chicago." I commend Cory Rooney and Taryll Jackson for pushing the sonic envelope, but it's the only Michael Jackson song that I consider to be utterly unlistenable. The production doesn't match the vocals whatsoever, and it's almost unmusical to a criminal degree. There are many counterpoints to the argument that a song can only be properly completed by its original producer -- "This Is It," "Another Day," "Behind the Mask," "Much Too Soon," "Love Never Felt So Good," "Do You Know Where Your Children Are (2010 Remix)," "Stay (2010 Remix)" -- and this tops the list in my opinion.

If he has finished People of the World as a solo version it could have been absolutely fantastic- I love the demo.

AlwaysThere;4308056 said:

It was not Michael Jackson’s decision to include R. Kelly's tepid, hollow ‘Cry’ song on the ‘Invincible’ album.

According to reliable press reports at the time (in the early album’s sessions), when the ‘Cry’ song was recorded by Michael Jackson and then it was submitted to Sony Music’s executives, these executives saw big chart/commercial potential in it, and they insisted on the song’s inclusion on the ‘Invincible’ album.

They believed that ‘Cry’ was going to be easily another huge hit by R. Kelly, just like his ‘I Believe I Can Fly’ song, which was released few years earlier and it was R. Kelly's most successful single by that time.

I would add that ‘Cry’ has also one of Michael Jackson’s weakest visualizations, because its music clip is extremely boring and tepid.

Back