What happened to Michael in the late nineties -2003?

Mikky Dee;4303765 said:
Are you talking about my pic? The 2nd one down? Yes, he was attending court on the day this was taken (2002).

The problem is that it's his left foot that is in a sock in that pic and the spider bite was on the right leg, so I think they are two separate injuries that are being mixed up by fans and media alike. Especially as the spider bite was in 2003.

This could be the spider bite. Lots of swelling and no moon boot.

singer-michael-jackson-at-the-oxford-union-to-speak-in-aid-of-his-picture-id51129982

I’m not sure about this. This photo is Oxford 2001.

https://www.gettyimages.de/detail/nachrichtenfoto/singer-michael-jackson-at-the-oxford-union-to-speak-in-nachrichtenfoto/51129982?adppopup=true

The spider bite photo was on the cover of the January 2003 issue of a magazine (see upthread), so it must have happened earlier than that.

ScreenOrigami;4303767 said:
I’m not sure about this. This photo is Oxford 2001.

https://www.gettyimages.de/detail/nachrichtenfoto/singer-michael-jackson-at-the-oxford-union-to-speak-in-nachrichtenfoto/51129982?adppopup=true

The spider bite photo was on the cover of the January 2003 issue of a magazine (see upthread), so it must have happened earlier than that.

Well if that's the case, then it must be another sprain, or else it's the foot break, before he got a moon boot on it. That would make sense, actually, because the image I posted of him in the moon boot at Uri Geller's wedding (renewal of vows) is when he was best man on 7th March 2001 and the Oxford speech was the night before, on 6th March 2001. Much was said in the Daily Mail (of course) about Michael being two hours late for the wedding....it was perhaps something to do with his foot and the required treatment of it, I would think.

Mikky Dee;4303769 said:
Well if that's the case, then it must be another sprain, or else it's the foot break, before he got a moon boot on it.

I found the article about the spider bite. He says he was bitten in the right leg and left foot, and you can actually see it in the photos. So, the sock was on the swollen left foot, and he still “walked” on the right leg. Man, that must have hurt.

9DPUrRs.jpg

jr5MAl3.jpg

And the hand also. There’s a photo from the court room where he has a swollen hand. I can’t find it right now, but I think I have it somewhere.

Last edited:
Michael had several big events in his life that led to his decline. The first being the Pepsi hair burning fiasco in 1984 which introduced him to pain medications. Before this, Michael had never taken a Tylenol forget about prescription meds. The Pepsi debacle caused severe burns to his scalp, permanently burning a patch of hair so he needed a hair piece and an irritating balloon like piece in his scalp. He also started taking sleeping pills and pain meds for the pain sporadically from this period onwards.

The 2nd major event was the 1993 molestation accusations which hit his ego and bank account. This led him to stop trusting people, he fired all his advisors and managers and started to take more control of his life. Michael was deeply embarrassed and angry about this event which again led to anxiety, insomnia, and more pain. He responded with more prescription drugs. He still had lots of money at this point....but things really started to go south after this sad to say.

This unfortunately opened the door to shady business partners, sharks and leaches, etc. His popularity declined especially in the USA, to the point where Michael's dream of becoming a movie star was dead in the water. No big movie labels would touch him due to the stigma. Falling from grace can be hard, especially for a competitive person like MJ.

The final nail in the coffin for Michael was the big stage fall in 1999 in Munich for the benefit concerts. He was never himself after that. His dancing, his mobility skills all suffered. This led to more pain killers unfortunately as well as sleeping aids. He was spiralling downhill. Then came Invincible and the feuds with Sony, etc. Michael spent like a drunken sailor through the 1990's living like it was still the Thriller-Bad era when he was making $50 million a year. Try affording a staff of 50+ people, a massive entourage, a private jet, lawsuits, lawyers, payouts, insane shopping sprees, hotel charges, lavish gifts, music videos, recording studio fees, etc. Add the leaches and sharks on top of that and Michael from 1995 onwards was spending about $20-25 million more each year then he was bringing in. He stopped touring after 1997 and had basically no income other than the music copyrights (MIJAC, Sony/ATV).

Michael basically had his shit together right up to Dangerous....after that it was a long drop down. To the point where come 2006 he was $300 million in debt, living on crumbs. It's very sad because if Michael had done things differently he could have easily been worth billions. But nobody is perfect, and he went through hell and back. We can only imagine how hard that was on him.

Mikky Dee;4303769 said:
Well if that's the case, then it must be another sprain, or else it's the foot break, before he got a moon boot on it. That would make sense, actually, because the image I posted of him in the moon boot at Uri Geller's wedding (renewal of vows) is when he was best man on 7th March 2001 and the Oxford speech was the night before, on 6th March 2001. Much was said in the Daily Mail (of course) about Michael being two hours late for the wedding....it was perhaps something to do with his foot and the required treatment of it, I would think.

Makes sense. He did also wear the “moon boot” when he arrived in London, though:

f6232a97f6be8c7c46bd903173df42a3.jpg

So, to expand on your theory: maybe he took it off for Oxford and also tried to go to the wedding without it, but that didn’t work out, so they had to take the time to put it back on?

travis3000;4303771 said:
Michael basically had his shit together right up to Dangerous....after that it was a long drop down.

Come on now.

HIStory sold over 20 million copies and is one of the best selling albums of all time.

The HIStory tour took him to 35 countries and grossed $ 165 million (if Wikipedia is accurate).

Michael made some excellent short films for HIStory.

Ghosts is one of his short film masterpieces.

Michael also got married twice and raised 3 wonderful children, which he would probably count as his greatest success in life.

It’s not like it all went downhill after Dangerous.

I started this thread to get thoughts of people who were fans in the period mentioned - observations and opinions. Didn't start it as a fact finding mission to prove in a court of law on when he appeared sober during this time or days when he had injuries. If you believe nothing happened during this time, you are free to not contribute to this thread. Pls don't jump on anyone contributing stating that their opinion is wrong. If something is not clear: When someone says thing A happened in a 6 year period, it does not mean that thing B did not happen in the same time period. Going on and on about thing B, when no one claimed that B didn't happen will just derail any discussion. A,B,C, D and E can all happen in the same period.

Michael had several big events in his life that led to his decline. The first being the Pepsi hair burning fiasco in 1984 which introduced him to pain medications. Before this, Michael had never taken a Tylenol forget about prescription meds. The Pepsi debacle caused severe burns to his scalp, permanently burning a patch of hair so he needed a hair piece and an irritating balloon like piece in his scalp. He also started taking sleeping pills and pain meds for the pain sporadically from this period onwards.

The 2nd major event was the 1993 molestation accusations which hit his ego and bank account. This led him to stop trusting people, he fired all his advisors and managers and started to take more control of his life. Michael was deeply embarrassed and angry about this event which again led to anxiety, insomnia, and more pain. He responded with more prescription drugs. He still had lots of money at this point....but things really started to go south after this sad to say.

This unfortunately opened the door to shady business partners, sharks and leaches, etc. His popularity declined especially in the USA, to the point where Michael's dream of becoming a movie star was dead in the water. No big movie labels would touch him due to the stigma. Falling from grace can be hard, especially for a competitive person like MJ.

The final nail in the coffin for Michael was the big stage fall in 1999 in Munich for the benefit concerts. He was never himself after that. His dancing, his mobility skills all suffered. This led to more pain killers unfortunately as well as sleeping aids. He was spiralling downhill. Then came Invincible and the feuds with Sony, etc. Michael spent like a drunken sailor through the 1990's living like it was still the Thriller-Bad era when he was making $50 million a year. Try affording a staff of 50+ people, a massive entourage, a private jet, lawsuits, lawyers, payouts, insane shopping sprees, hotel charges, lavish gifts, music videos, recording studio fees, etc. Add the leaches and sharks on top of that and Michael from 1995 onwards was spending about $20-25 million more each year then he was bringing in. He stopped touring after 1997 and had basically no income other than the music copyrights (MIJAC, Sony/ATV).

Michael basically had his shit together right up to Dangerous....after that it was a long drop down. To the point where come 2006 he was $300 million in debt, living on crumbs. It's very sad because if Michael had done things differently he could have easily been worth billions. But nobody is perfect, and he went through hell and back. We can only imagine how hard that was on him.

Somehow I never figured that the 1999 injury had such far reaching consequences. Michael was 40 at the time - some age related slowing down is to be expected. I think he knew very well even before History that he shouldn't be touring anymore. I think that impacted his health more than anything and he wanted to diversify his income sources. It's very sad that his movie dreams never came to fruition. He got in the game pretty early on with Wiz - I'm surprised he didn't get more offers in the eighties to act. Coming back to the point though, he didn't tour after Invincible, which is good. But it still does not seem to have helped keep him healthier than he would have been, had he toured.

I've been on an MJ book binge and one thing that's clear is his spending went way out of control. It wasn't even on himself - his lifestyle had really spiraled. No doubt life was hard on him after a point. I often wonder if he had someone to talk to, post 2005. He seems to have lived to isolated and he'd been through so much. He probably had a lot to work out mentally post the trial.

ScreenOrigami;4303773 said:
Come on now.

HIStory sold over 20 million copies and is one of the best selling albums of all time.

The HIStory tour took him to 35 countries and grossed $ 165 million (if Wikipedia is accurate).

Michael made some excellent short films for HIStory.

Ghosts is one of his short film masterpieces.

Michael also got married twice and raised 3 wonderful children, which he would probably count as his greatest success in life.

It’s not like it all went downhill after Dangerous.

I agree.

I am very skeptical about the validity of certain of his accidents (falling in the bathroom, spider bites, twisting his ankle, etc) that he cites when he had to appear in court on specific dates.

The reason is that such alleged accidents apparently acted a way for him to gain people’s sympathy in the court or even to avoid a specific court day.

Remember, his long-time, close friend Elizabeth Taylor once told him to feign such accidents because that was a trick that would help him to gain people’s sympathy, and that trick had already worked in Elizabeth Taylor’s case.

There was also the case when he arrived an hour late to the Arvizo trial (on March 10th, 2005, which was the day when the boy Gavin Arvizo was to testify against him), and he was wearing pyjamas and slippers due to an alleged tripping and falling over while getting dressed.

mj_frenzy;4303794 said:
I am very skeptical about the validity of certain of his accidents (falling in the bathroom, spider bites, twisting his ankle, etc) that he cites when he had to appear in court on specific dates.

The reason is that such alleged accidents apparently acted a way for him to gain people’s sympathy in the court or even to avoid a specific court day.

Remember, his long-time, close friend Elizabeth Taylor once told him to feign such accidents because that was a trick that would help him to gain people’s sympathy, and that trick had already worked in Elizabeth Taylor’s case.

There was also the case when he arrived an hour late to the Arvizo trial (on March 10th, 2005, which was the day when the boy Gavin Arvizo was to testify against him), and he was wearing pyjamas and slippers due to an alleged tripping and falling over while getting dressed.
When did Taylor say such a thing?

mjfan05;4303779 said:
I started this thread to get thoughts of people who were fans in the period mentioned - observations and opinions. Didn't start it as a fact finding mission to prove in a court of law on when he appeared sober during this time or days when he had injuries. If you believe nothing happened during this time, you are free to not contribute to this thread. Pls don't jump on anyone contributing stating that their opinion is wrong. If something is not clear: When someone says thing A happened in a 6 year period, it does not mean that thing B did not happen in the same time period. Going on and on about thing B, when no one claimed that B didn't happen will just derail any discussion. A,B,C, D and E can all happen in the same period.

You asked what happened, so it’s just natural that people post proof for things we know have happened. Some people here are simply not into wild guesses and speculation. For example, I have yet to see any footage of Michael that shows him drunk or proof that he did in fact drink more than the occasional glass of wine. Yet, the speculation continues, and I believe this is simply not something we should contribute to.

Michael had a lot of health issues that we know of, and since he only made them public when he was forced to, I think it’s safe to assume there’s more that we don’t know of. He still had to function as a businessman and a father, so if he used painkillers to handle his situation, that’s something everyone would do and also not really newsworthy.

As for his business endeavors: the music industry as a whole faced some serious problems at the beginning of the new millennium, not only due to the rise of internet piracy, but also because of the 9/11 situation that put a rapid end to any kind of touring plans for most artists. Even if Michael had planned to tour for Invincible, he probably wouldn’t have taken the risk during those uncertain times when no one knew what was going to happen next.

We know that Michael wanted to pull out of that Sony situation to gain more control over the music side of his business, and most likely to have more time to be there for his children, but his Plan B after Sony wasn’t just to become an actor. We know that he was exploring various possibilities of generating a steady flow of income. For example, he started Kingdom Entertainment in the late 90’s, explored the options for creating theme parks around the world, and at some point even tried to find a way to buy Marvel. These are just the things we know for sure he did, and I believe it’s safe to say that there were many more paths he was looking at at the time that we know nothing about.

Now, you can say all of these projects were failures, but as someone who’s running a (small) business myself, let me assure you that failure is part of the process when you try to expand your business. There’s no safe way to go about this. Look at the careers of any of the big players out there, and you will find plenty of unsuccessful endeavors before that one plan finally worked out.

In Michael’s case, we’re looking at a comparatively short period in time from the late 90’s to the end of 2002 where things didn’t go according to plan, and that’s just normal. He certainly didn’t expect to spend the following years tied up in litigation again, so at that point it was just a series of fairly normal business setbacks that needed to be addressed.

Apparently he felt that his public image at the time played some part in this, so he tried to work on that with a documentary which we all know backfired terribly due to a mixture of poor judgement and too much trust in the wrong people.

The following allegations and the trial definitely took their toll, but before that, I am convinced that the whole narrative of “something happened to him and he was never the same after that” is simply not rooted in facts.

So, yes, when these topics come up, I am convinced it’s best to look at the facts and try to find evidence instead of just speculating and fanning the flames of the “Tabloid Michael” narrative.

Last edited:
ScreenOrigami;4303799 said:
You asked what happened, so it’s just natural that people post proof for things we know have happened. Some people here are simply not into wild guesses and speculation. For example, I have yet to see any footage of Michael that shows him drunk or proof that he did in fact drink more than the occasional glass of wine. Yet, the speculation continues, and I believe this is simply not something we should contribute to.

Michael had a lot of health issues that we know of, and since he only made them public when he was forced to, I think it’s safe to assume there’s more that we don’t know of. He still had to function as a businessman and a father, so if he used painkillers to handle his situation, that’s something everyone would do and also not really newsworthy.

As for his business endeavors: the music industry as a whole faced some serious problems at the beginning of the new millennium, not only due to the rise of internet piracy, but also because of the 9/11 situation that put a rapid end to any kind of touring plans for most artists. Even if Michael had planned to tour for Invincible, he probably wouldn’t have taken the risk during those uncertain times when no one knew what was going to happen next.

We know that Michael wanted to pull out of that Sony situation to gain more control over the music side of his business, and most likely to have more time to be there for his children, but his Plan B after Sony wasn’t just to become an actor. We know that he was exploring various possibilities of generating a steady flow of income. For example, he started Kingdom Entertainment in the late 90’s, explored the options for creating theme parks around the world, and at some point even tried to find a way to buy Marvel. These are just the things we know for sure he did, and I believe it’s safe to say that there were many more paths he was looking at at the time that we know nothing about.

Now, you can say all of these projects were failures, but as someone who’s running a (small) business myself, let me assure you that failure is part of the process when you try to expand your business. There’s no safe way to go about this. Look at the careers of any of the big players out there, and you will find plenty of unsuccessful endeavors before that one plan finally worked out.

In Michael’s case, we’re looking at a comparatively short period in time from the late 90’s to the end of 2002 where things didn’t go according to plan, and that’s just normal. He certainly didn’t expect to spend the following years tied up in litigation again, so at that point it was just a series of fairly normal business setbacks that needed to be addressed.

Apparently he felt that his public image at the time played some part in this, so he tried to work on that with a documentary which we all know backfired terribly due to a mixture of poor judgement and too much trust in the wrong people.

The following allegations and the trial definitely took their toll, but before that, I am convinced that the whole narrative of “something happened to him and he was never the same after that” is simply not rooted in facts.

So, yes, when these topics come up, I am convinced it’s best to look at the facts and try to find evidence instead of just speculating and fanning the flames of the “Tabloid Michael” narrative.

Bravo.

None of us knew Michael personal. we can only go by what he told us and people who was around him. michael did drink but he drank wine if he drank it anything beside that we don't know.

michael did take drugs for his head and sleep. like others mention before he was injury a couple of times so that was also a problem.

in my opinion michael was fine until 2005 and after that he was done with the outside world except his fans etc.

i think after 2005 he was done. i always heard rumors how this is it was plan because he wanted to be relevant and something with money. other then that we don't know for sure only by what was told us.

NatureCriminal7896;4303807 said:
michael did take drugs for his head and sleep.

Just a suggestion: Let’s call it “medication” instead of “drugs”. When people hear the word “drugs”, they might think of a “drug addiction”. But a “drug addiction” is different from a “dependency on medication”. Michael sometimes depended on medication for his health issues, but he wasn’t a drug addict.

Correction: He was wearing pyjama pants, but had on a suit coat. When he was sitting in court, only the suit coat would have been visible. Yes, he had a fall, but in that fall he hurt his back - this was a common problem for him, it seems. He had ongoing problems after the bridge accident on stage in 1999 and his autopsy report referred to arthritis in the lower back, most certainly due to this old injury.

If you are suggesting that Michael feigned injuries before court cases in order to gain sympathy, then that ploy surely backfired, as most of the time, he was lampooned in the press and/or not believed. This was the case for the spider bite, where Michael ended up having to show pictorial evidence, that revealed a horrific infection site on his leg.

Once again, can you please post sources, links, images or articles which support what you are saying in threads. You continue to post theories which sound like they are coming straight from a tabloid article or a gossip magazine without appropriate evidentiary support.

Anna;4303808 said:
Security guy talks about alcohol issues here - https://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/05/showbiz/jackson-death-trial/index.html

Apparently there was also a similar drug and alcohol episode described by Frank Cascio in his book. And no, I don't have it and haven't read it, I'm just relaying information.

To add to this, here is an anecdote from Barry Gibb about Michael and the times they spent together (note the references to drinking wine). This was shared in one of my Facebook groups only today.

BARRY GIBB ON MICHAEL JACKSON

“I never saw any aspect of his life that was disturbing. I only believe someone is guilty when a court finds them guilty."
“I never saw any of that behaviour with my kids and they used to go to the bathroom together, pee together, but nothing like that."
“Michael used to call me up and ask me to sing down the phone. He’d call and say, ‘Can you sing How Can You Mend A Broken Heart? Just sing!’. And I would sing for him," recalls #BeeGees #BarryGibb.

Talking about both #CliffRichard and #MichaelJackson:

“It’s wrong to destroy someone’s life with accusations if it’s not *conclusive. That’s the great danger in our culture today."
“I never saw it with Michael or Cliff, I think it’s appalling . . . it’s not for gossip or rumours.”
"He would come to Miami and stay in our house. He’d sit in the kitchen and watch the fans outside his hotel on TV, just giggling – 'Hee hee!' He lived upstairs for a while."

Barry became a shoulder for Michael Jackson to cry on during his 2005 sex abuse trial.
The #Thriller legend still owned his #NeverlandRanch when he moved in with the 74-year-old in Miami, Florida.
#KingOfPop had initially become a regular visitor, before making the move more permanent. Barry said he never talked about the star's court case during his stay with him and his family.

"[It was] right before his child-molestation trial for numerous charges [when he moved in]. We never discussed the case."
Barry went on to say how the pair indulged in wine together, and sometimes Michael didn't even make it to bed.
He added: "We would just sit around and write and get drunk. Michael liked wine – there were a few nights when he just went to sleep on the floor."

Here is the tribute message Barry gave when Michael died:
“Michael was my friend, the only recording artist I truly knew and who truly knew me. He was the Godfather to my son Michael. We have lost a dear member of our family. Michael you will live forever in our hearts. Fly away butterfly take it to your journeys end. We will always love you.”- Barry Gibb

Sources: The Express 2020 / Daily Mirror 2017 / Piers Morgan Life Stories

ScreenOrigami;4303809 said:
Just a suggestion: Let’s call it “medication” instead of “drugs”. When people hear the word “drugs”, they might think of a “drug addiction”. But a “drug addiction” is different from a “dependency on medication”. Michael sometimes depended on medication for his health issues, but he wasn’t a drug addict.

I understand what you mean. here in America we call them prescription drugs.

Mikky Dee;4303813 said:
Correction: He was wearing pyjama pants, but had on a suit coat. When he was sitting in court, only the suit coat would have been visible. Yes, he had a fall, but in that fall he hurt his back - this was a common problem for him, it seems. He had ongoing problems after the bridge accident on stage in 1999 and his autopsy report referred to arthritis in the lower back, most certainly due to this old injury.

If you are suggesting that Michael feigned injuries before court cases in order to gain sympathy, then that ploy surely backfired, as most of the time, he was lampooned in the press and/or not believed. This was the case for the spider bite, where Michael ended up having to show pictorial evidence, that revealed a horrific infection site on his leg.

Once again, can you please post sources, links, images or articles which support what you are saying in threads. You continue to post theories which sound like they are coming straight from a tabloid article or a gossip magazine without appropriate evidentiary support.

Certain alleged injuries appear to be too convenient in terms of timing (these accidents allegedly happened when he had to appear on a certain date in court).

Let me say this, for example: On March 10th, 2005, if his accident was an actual one, Michael Jackson would have promptly informed his lead defense lawyer Thomas Mesereau about it, but he did not, leaving in that way Thomas Mesereau to search for him.

Anna;4303808 said:
Security guy talks about alcohol issues here - https://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/05/showbiz/jackson-death-trial/index.html

Apparently there was also a similar drug and alcohol episode described by Frank Cascio in his book. And no, I don't have it and haven't read it, I'm just relaying information.

Michael La Perruque (the security guard) simply confirmed what I wrote earlier about Michael Jackson's drinking problem.

He testified under oath that he would sometimes notice empty wine bottles from Michael Jackson’s hotel room's minibar.

It seems Michael liked wine and vodka and would occasionally get drunk, like a lot of other adults. It also seems that sometimes he used alcohol as a way to self-medicate. But I don't think he was an alcoholic, the available evidence suggests that the painkillers and sedatives were the main problem.

I'm not a drinker or smoker but some prescription drugs should not be taken with alcohol or smoke with. i understand michael was depressed but he really should have follow his prescription drugs directions.

i'm not sure what was going on. also i doubt michael was smoker there was rumor that he smoked weed. so yeah he shouldn't did that if he did.

That CNN article is actually a great example how rumors can start spreading, even if someone simply tells the truth. It says:

“The security chief said he would sometimes notice empty wine bottles from the hotel room's minibar, but he never saw drugs.”

The next person who tells the same story may just leave out the fact that those were bottles from the minibar – which usually just contain the equivalent of a single glass of wine. And all of a sudden people have a mental image of MJ passing out among a couple of empty full-size wine bottles.

Minibars are usually stocked with tiny bottles of sparkling and still water, white and red wine (one of each), some orange juice, chocolate bars, and nuts. If you want a full-size bottle of wine, you’d have to call room service or go to the hotel bar.

Are you talking about my pic? The 2nd one down? Yes, he was attending court on the day this was taken (2002).

The problem is that it's his left foot that is in a sock in that pic and the spider bite was on the right leg, so I think they are two separate injuries that are being mixed up by fans and media alike. Especially as the spider bite was in 2003.

I was thinking this could be the spider bite. Lots of swelling and no moon boot.

singer-michael-jackson-at-the-oxford-union-to-speak-in-aid-of-his-picture-id51129982

Thats oxford union march 2001 you can see the foot cushion thingy on his right foot. I meet him that trip

I guess most adult's are alcoholics then if you jgdge them by the same rules some of you judge Michael by. Maybe some of you dont or wont get that he was a normal adult who did normal adult things like drinking and god forbid sometimes getting drunk. Oh he had a great porn collection aswell if you didnt know?

He must have had to drink loads of bottles from a mini bar to get drunk considering how small they are? everything is twisted and manipulated when it comes to mj inorder to dehumanize him

I swear some of you have got your head stuck in the tabloids where you even around then heck even born cause you sound like you are reading off copies of the national enquirer and daily fail.

Mike la perrque worked for him around and during 2002 only for a year or so he wasnt around that long he was a partime sherrif while he worked for mj He was a nice guy,nice to the fans but it was a shame he dishonoured himself and profession by selling stories. So take what he said with a grain as you would anyone who is paid for a story.he died maybe 5 plus years ago mj stated in a depo he was having problems with painkillers around that time so its well known

I guess most adult's are alcoholics then if you jgdge them by the same rules some of you judge Michael by.

I have a friend who very rarely drinks alcohol. He gets giggly after one glass of wine, tipsy after two, and falls asleep on your couch after three. :D

So when Barry Gibb tells stories about how MJ would get drunk sometimes, people are probably overestimating the amount of wine that he was actually drinking. When you rarely drink anything, you just feel the effect more.

Personally, I quit drinking a couple of years ago, but had one glass of champagne at a wedding recently, and it went straight to my head.

Hi everyone,

As in the past I did plenty of researches on MJ's businesses from the late 90s / 00s, I find this topic interesting. I dug up some of my old blog posts that may help the new fans to understand MJ's state as a businessman at that time:

http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.com/2010/08/old-projects-iv-jackson-international_08.html
http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.com/2010/08/old-projects-iii-ttc-touring-inc.html
http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.com/2010/07/old-projects-ii-mjj-poland-inc.html
http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.com/2010/07/old-projects-i-mj-licensing-llc.html
http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.com/2011/05/old-projects-vi-go-for-your-dreams.html
http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.com/2012/08/michael-jackson-asia-rights-co-ii.html
http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.com/2008/12/michael-jacksons-licensing-issues.html
http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.com/2008/04/tidbits-michael-jackson-mystery.html

If you read through these posts I think they give a clear picture. On the top of this MJ signed his first major loan in 1997 for 70M USD against his own publishing rights, and in 1999 against the Sony/ATV catalog for 150M USD. And there has been plenty of other initiatives from that time...

Back