MSG 30th 2001: Dancing Machine?

The curly hair makes him look much younger, and This Is It proved that. There were parts of This Is It where he looked similar to how he looked in the Dangerous/HIStory era

I think it had to do with the strange hair style at MSG.

I donot think it was the hair. he has had that kind of short hair even at the MTV in 1995 show and even in the past. He would not have looked right with his brothers with long straight hair. He just did not look himself at the show. I LOVE MJ's smile and his eyes but he did not appear right. I could tell he had a botox shot above his lip which was reddish and he could not smile wide for months but it finally wore off which botox shots do (they make your face look stiff which I do not like about botox around certain areas).

The curly hair makes him look much younger, and This Is It proved that. There were parts of This Is It where he looked similar to how he looked in the Dangerous/HIStory era
He looks great with curly permed hair long or short.

I donot think it was the hair. he has had that kind of short hair even at the MTV in 1995 show and even in the past.

Nah. The mid 90s short hair looked way different. The curly version (MTV awards) gave him a nice youthful fresh look.

The Invincible days short hair looked like some exploded Liza Minelli kind of old lady hair accident. :D

Of course the hair was just one factor (next to him not being able to smile and not being spot on with moves etc).

But I wouldn't even say he looked "old" at MSG. Just out of it on several levels...

Last edited:
I love Michael with curly hair. i don't know if that's because i love curly hair in general or i just love him with curls. his long locks in the late 80's is my favorite. he looked so gorgeous. i don't know. i guess curls just suited mike. he was a doll baby angel. :p

Yeah. it looked like he was going back to his 90's roots. ^_^ :p

I honestly don't know what the heck Michael was doing either. X"D he was all over the place. maybe he was just tired or he was very excited to be there up on stage. he was very healthy for his age then and before he pass. ^_^

About his curly hair of the ‘This Is It’ era, it was actually his fans who convinced him to bring his curls back for those shows.

During that period of his comeback, MJ was increasingly getting signs from them that they wanted from him to perform with his characteristic curly hair.

Some fans even proceeded to make the ‘Curls For My Girls’ T-shirt & they gave it to him as a gift.

MJ decided to satisfy them, so he not only made his hair curly for the upcoming shows, but also he even wore that T-shirt during some parts of the rehearsals.

Hahahaha. Michael did his best. i think he was just tired or the stage was too small. they needed a bigger stage that stage were crowded.

The only good thing from those two MSG shows was the big enthusiasm & energy that came from the audience itself.

I wonder why MJ agreed to do a performance with his brothers, because he would always avoid a Jackson's reunion like the plague.

It had to do with him wanting a positive image for his comeback.

MJ, at that particular time of his comeback, had no option but to show to the world that he was no longer that strange, bizarre man who was alienated even from his own family.

That was the reason why he decided to perform with his brothers on stage at the MSG, but also to call his parents & the rest of his other siblings to attend the shows sitting on special VIP seats (for the sake of an image of oneness that would also help his future career).

Hahahaha. Michael did his best. i think he was just tired or the stage was too small. they needed a bigger stage that stage were crowded.

His tiredness, dizziness, blankness of his expression, etc, were all a result of him being fully drugged up right before those two MSG shows.

We also have reliable accounts which confirm that.

What many people don't know is that the TV appearance was edited with new recorded vocals in it's J5 part.
You can clearly hear that by comparing both amateur shows to the tv one.
Also if you are familar with different types of microphones you can just hear that the mic-quality of MJs vocals changes sometimes in the tv version.
When you hear dubbed vocals you clearly hear that the mic sounds so clear like a studio mic. Though, dancing machine was not dubbed on the tv airing.
I always liked the show for some reason but i've never seen so much mistakes done in a show (see the amateur recording).
Even the Moonwalk didn't work and they completely faked it on tv. So many mistakes there.. i think one reason it had so many mistakes was the position of the band.
From experience i can say band and singer/artist/dancer need to keep eye-connection... but the band on the MSG 2001 shows was not visible for MJ and MJ was probably only visible for them on a screen. BIG MISTAKE.

I made a thread about this ages ago.. but cannot find it anymore :(

NatureCriminal7896;4259346 said:
He was drugged on what?

On Demerol, for example, which falls into the category of the opioid drugs.

Here is what David Gest revealed:

“… He [MJ] had promised to be in the audience for the first part of the show, which began at 8pm, to watch other artists pay tribute to him, but 8pm came and went and no Michael. It turned 8.15, still no Michael. By 8.20 I was going crazy… I sent an assistant to his hotel room and he was in bed. The assistant called me to say he was unconscious and I said just get him up, get him here. He got him up and Michael told him he’d taken Demerol, a painkiller… I screamed at him to get to the stadium, whatever state he was in. He turned up looking totally off his head … (David Gest, The Mail On Sunday)

David Gest was a long-time, close friend of MJ, but also the one who staged those two MSG shows in 2001.

mj_frenzy;4259347 said:
On Demerol, for example, which falls into the category of the opioid drugs.

Here is what David Gest revealed:

“… He [MJ] had promised to be in the audience for the first part of the show, which began at 8pm, to watch other artists pay tribute to him, but 8pm came and went and no Michael. It turned 8.15, still no Michael. By 8.20 I was going crazy… I sent an assistant to his hotel room and he was in bed. The assistant called me to say he was unconscious and I said just get him up, get him here. He got him up and Michael told him he’d taken Demerol, a painkiller… I screamed at him to get to the stadium, whatever state he was in. He turned up looking totally off his head … (David Gest, The Mail On Sunday)

David Gest was a long-time, close friend of MJ, but also the one who staged those two MSG shows in 2001.
I knew it was something. These types of painkillers do each person different. I had surgery this year and had to take hydrocodone which I hate to take and even bare pain not to take unless it is really bad. just one pill makes me sleepy all day. Tremadol makes my mom talk silly after using it for two days for pain. So I can see what David is saying can be true. even walking with Liz, MJ did not seem to be himself. His eyes were sleepy.

Oh yeah! I forgot he had to take meds for his head pain. it's hard to believe years later he still had that pain. poor mike. :(

the show was edited. But I love parts. I loved the Luther/Usher and those 5 background guys as someone put it. I loved the into. I loved the intro of the MJ and his brothers and TWMMF, of course the end with the hat/glove for Billie Jean and Chris. I did see parts where MJ was not his best (even at the VMA before the show when Nsync brought him out. he did ok but MJ usually have those step on lock and solid). Also, MJ looked like he had a botox shot over his top lip. Glad it wore off. In 2003 at the BET AWARD with James Brown. MJ LOOKED GOOD and healthy. I remember everyone was talking how handsome/goodlooking/best dressed he was on that show to give James Brown the honor even his critics had to say That is MICHAEL JACKSON.
Was it ever confirmed if he had a botox shot or something? I've been sorting some photos on my computer lately, and I've been wondering what happened to the lip. Sorry, I understand if some people don't want to talk about MJ's face over and over again. It's just kinda sad and I've never seen a proper answer to this.

Last edited:
He was only 43 at the time of the MSG concert. Hardly old. He did look older than his age at the time though I agree. It wasn't a good time for him appearance wise. He looked much better and younger just a few years later.

Remember when he had gone to Bahrain after the trial? He looked wonderful and so young.

Something was very off with him in 2001 though.

Was it ever confirmed if he had a botox shot or something? I've been sorting some photos on my computer lately, and I've been wondering what happened to the lip. Sorry, I understand if some people don't want to talk about MJ's face over and over again. It's just kinda sad and I've never seen a proper answer to this.
No it was never confirmed but that is what it looks like when people get botox around that area. Notice MJ could barley smile un til later. Botox wear off from 6 to 8 months or longer. At the BET 2003 show, it wore off. thank goodness.

No it was never confirmed but that is what it looks like when people get botox around that area. Notice MJ could barley smile un til later. Botox wear off from 6 to 8 months or longer. At the BET 2003 show, it wore off. thank goodness.

Yeah, it's great that he started to look much better and became healthier during that time. Bambi Awards in late 2002 too. I don't know what it was, but something helpful was done to get his nose back to normal after 2001. 2001-2 seems to be a mystery.

The 2006 WMA's and Japan MTV VMA's are some of my favorite 2000's MJ appearances. I mean he looked great and was rarely seen in public without sunglasses on. I love the L'Uomo Vogue photoshoot from 2007. I don't get why they had the photoshop Michael's face/nose for the Ebony Magazine. I've seen the original pictures.

Yeah, it's great that he started to look much better and became healthier during that time. Bambi Awards in late 2002 too. I don't know what it was, but something helpful was done to get his nose back to normal after 2001. 2001-2 seems to be a mystery.

The 2006 WMA's and Japan MTV VMA's are some of my favorite 2000's MJ appearances. I mean he looked great and was rarely seen in public without sunglasses on. I love the L'Uomo Vogue photoshoot from 2007. I don't get why they had the photoshop Michael's face/nose for the Ebony Magazine. I've seen the original pictures.
He looked good on the Ebony cover 2007. It he may not have done anything to his nose. U will be amaze that even something doing small things to other parts of your face will chance things especially when u are of ethnic. It could have been just botox not so much anything else was done to his nose.

He looked good on the Ebony cover 2007. It he may not have done anything to his nose. U will be amaze that even something doing small things to other parts of your face will chance things especially when u are of ethnic. It could have been just botox not so much anything else was done to his nose.
Ebony was good too of course, but I was just thinking that he didn't need to be photoshopped at all.

It's very possible what you said, everything might have been just an effect of the botox. When it wore off, he also started to look normal. It makes sense like that.

Michael really didn't change so much than people think, not much at all. It's horrible that the media made him to seem like a surgery addict. For some people that's about the only thing they know about Michael. So sad :(

What people don't understand Michael had a beautiful face. Michael has got to be and still is the most beautiful man on this earth. i think when seeing Michael you ask yourself, is that's really his face? then Michael was also African-American so it's like, you know. he was beautiful inside out but his face with and without vitiligo was indeed beautiful.

He was only 43 at the time of the MSG concert. Hardly old. He did look older than his age at the time though I agree. It wasn't a good time for him appearance wise. He looked much better and younger just a few years later.
Something was very off with him in 2001 though.

I knew he was about 40 at the time. wow. he was still very young. yeah something was totally wrong in 2001. i'm not sure what was going on during that time. maybe he was just tired and also probably on the meds he took for his head.

It was also a particular incident (concerning the shooting of the ‘You Rock My World’ music video) that upset him greatly at that time.

It took place few months before the MSG shows (summer of 2001), when the team that was about to make that music video demanded that MJ had to make specific cosmetic changes on his face (through make up) in order to look good on that video.

They wanted, among other things, to put putty on his nose (which is a make up product filler for that area), but also to use make up in order to darken his skin.

When MJ learned about those demands, he became so upset that he locked himself in the bathroom crying & refusing to get out, while he was throwing various things in there.

He thought that the team saw him as an ugly man, & that caused him an additional, enormous psychological trauma.

So big was that psychological trauma that in the music video (while singing & dancing) he was persistently trying to hide his face.

That psychological trauma (caused by those team’s demands for that music video) continued to have a very bad effect on him even during those two MSG shows in September.

mj_frenzy;4259452 said:
It was also a particular incident (concerning the shooting of the ‘You Rock My World’ music video) that upset him greatly at that time.

It took place few months before the MSG shows (summer of 2001), when the team that was about to make that music video demanded that MJ had to make specific cosmetic changes on his face (through make up) in order to look good on that video.

They wanted, among other things, to put putty on his nose (which is a make up product filler for that area), but also to use make up in order to darken his skin.

When MJ learned about those demands, he became so upset that he locked himself in the bathroom crying & refusing to get out, while he was throwing various things in there.

He thought that the team saw him as an ugly man, & that caused him an additional, enormous psychological trauma.

So big was that psychological trauma that in the music video (while singing & dancing) he was persistently trying to hide his face.

That psychological trauma (caused by those team’s demands for that music video) continued to have a very bad effect on him even during those two MSG shows in September.
I had no idea about that. Explains why YRMW was shot that way. Smh Thats just beyond rude and disrespectful.

I remember hearing that story about Mj being on something before those concerts. Wasnt sure if it was true. You can tell something was off though.

I remember hearing that story about Mj being on something before those concerts. Wasnt sure if it was true. You can tell something was off though.

He absolutely was using something that made him slurry...if that's the right term. Either that or he was pretending.

There's a real horrible video of MJ with Liz arriving at the MSG concert where he speaks to a reporter from MTV. I haven't seen the video for years now it seems to have entirely disappeared but I was shocked when I first saw it.

mj_frenzy;4259452 said:

what a bullsh!t tabloid story are you spreading here???

Back