All Your London Transport Questions Answered HERE! (Q&A on page 4)

Re: All Your London Transport Questions Answered HERE!

hey :) me again!

i have another question now. since my travelplans have changed cuz of the rescheduling things from the concerts, i had to change my hostel. i am not staying in eltham now, but in miles drive, woolwich. could you please tell me the best way to go to the o2 from there (it doesnt seem so far away) and to the city center? which travelcard do i need? and how will i reach there from luton airport? would be happy to hear from you again :)

Easiest way to get to O2 from Woolwich is to the bus, get a 53 or 54 to Blackheath Standard and then a 108 to the O2...the actual travelling time should only be about 20mins, but waiting for the buses may extend that time. All these buses are very frequent, running about every 12 mins. Also, the 53 and 108 run 24hrs, so you will have no problems getting back to Woolwich.

Regarding this info:

Some of Michael Jackson's forthcoming dates at the London O2 Arena are set to be affected by a closed London Underground tube line. Improvement works mean that fans who were planning to travel on shows on July 18, 24 and 26 and August 1 and 30, will have to rethink their travel arrangements. Station closures on the Jubilee Line mean that North Greenwich, the stop nearest to the venue, will be shut on the above dates in order for the line to be upgraded.

Can anyone give useful alternatives to get from the O2 to Heathrow aiport after the concert ? As the Jubilee Line won't be accesible, what's the best way to get there ? I read there are buses and river boats, but which would be best to connect it with a Picadilly Line back to Heathrow airport ?

Regarding this info:

Can anyone give useful alternatives to get from the O2 to Heathrow aiport after the concert ? As the Jubilee Line won't be accesible, what's the best way to get there ? I read there are buses and river boats, but which would be best to connect it with a Picadilly Line back to Heathrow airport ?

Any suggestions for someone coming from Euston station? I don't really want to use a rail replacement bus....

Hi katzar2000
my question is that I come from Gatewick airport and i wanna go to custom house hotel which is in 272-283 Victoria dock road .you told me that I should use Gatewick express and go to Victoria underground station, then what should I do ?and could u tell me how should I go to the O2 from my hotel?

Last edited:

For anyone worrying about how the closure of the Jubille Line due to planned engineering work here some info that might help.

The rail replacment buses are nothing to be scared off. They are free of charge and follow exactly the same route overground as the the affected tube line. There are TFL staff, who wear blue jackets at every station. They are very helpful and are well used to lost and confused people. The buses are very frequent, about every 5 to 7 minutes, and when each bus arrives at a station, the station and direction of the bus is announced both by the driver and the station staff.

Also, if your concert is affected there will be a special travel page on The O2 website and on the TFL website and most likely you will be sent an email by The O2.

Hi i'm staying in Greenwich during the concert but how would i get to the O2 Arena from Canary Wharf DLR station?

Hi i'm staying in Greenwich during the concert but how would i get to the O2 Arena from Canary Wharf DLR station?

At Canary Wharf, exit the DLR station and follow the signs for the Jubilee Line. Greenwich North, the stop for The O2 is just 1 stop from Canary Wharf

Hi. I have this question, how do you pay for the busses, like when you get on the bus you need to give the ting you pay with to the driver? how do you pay for it? and the same with tube.

Hi. I have this question, how do you pay for the busses, like when you get on the bus you need to give the ting you pay with to the driver? how do you pay for it? and the same with tube.

Buses you can pay either by cash or by an electronic prepay card called OYSTER. Cash fares on buses are a flat fare of £2, no matter the length of your journey. The money is given to the driver and then you take your ticket from the machine. Most drivers will refuse to take notes higher than £5 so if you are paying cash, make sure you have the correct change.

I would recomend getting an OYSTER Card, use it on both buses and tubes. It can be used either as a payas you go ticket or as a weekly ticket, depending on how much travel you will be doing. Using OYSTER PAYAS YOU GO is cheaper than using cash, on the bus its £1 on Oyster compared to £2 cash.

Tubes you either need a paper ticket which you buy at the ticket office or at the machines in the stations, or you can uses OYSTER CARD. To access the tube platform you either need to swipe your OYSTER CARD or put your paper ticket through the scanner. You need to do the same to exit the tube platforms.

For anyone worrying about how the closure of the Jubille Line due to planned engineering work here some info that might help.

The rail replacment buses are nothing to be scared off. They are free of charge and follow exactly the same route overground as the the affected tube line. There are TFL staff, who wear blue jackets at every station. They are very helpful and are well used to lost and confused people. The buses are very frequent, about every 5 to 7 minutes, and when each bus arrives at a station, the station and direction of the bus is announced both by the driver and the station staff.

Also, if your concert is affected there will be a special travel page on The O2 website and on the TFL website and most likely you will be sent an email by The O2.

Thanks a lot, you cause a sigh of relief here ;).
I hope you remember me ;). About the meet up I'll or you'll get back to you/me around July 20th, ok ?

Thanks a lot, you cause a sigh of relief here ;).
I hope you remember me ;). About the meet up I'll or you'll get back to you/me around July 20th, ok ?

hi, your welcome, yes I remember you :D not long now, only a few weeks, cant wait

Will the Jubilee line be closed on the night of the 1st concert?, if so what Buses is there from Canary Wharf DLR to the O2

Will the Jubilee line be closed on the night of the 1st concert?, if so what Buses is there from Canary Wharf DLR to the O2

No, as far as I am aware the Jubilee Line wont be closed Monday 13 July.

The Jubillee Line will be fully closed
26 July, 8 August, 16 August

Partial line closures between Green Park and Stratford will take place on: 9 August, 15 August

THE ONLY MJ CONCERT AFFECTED BY THE PLANNED ENGINEERING WORKS ON THE JUBILEE LINE IS 26 JULY

so the 18th's ok then its not gonna be every weekend like first reported?

I would like to stay at the Piccadilly Backpackers.

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&sour...,-0.133874&spn=0.005135,0.013947&z=17&iwloc=A

Which is the easiest way to get to the o2 arena from there?

1.walk down Sherwood Street to Picadilly Circus tube station

2. Get on the Picadilly Line and go one stop to Green Park.

3. Change at Green Park to Jubille Line and go to Greenwich North for The O2
approx journey time on the tube 35 mins

1.walk down Sherwood Street to Picadilly Circus tube station

There are rumors that Greenwich North is closed on August 30th when I go to the show. Is there any alternative way to get there?

Need some help again...
I've been trying to figure out the best way to get to Luton when I leave on the 2nd of August and when I look up my journey on the planner thingy it says this: METROPOLITAN LINE: Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 August, suspended between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Aldgate. Rail replacement bus services operate.

I have no clue if they are in those areas where I'm going through but I guess so since it shows up? The thing is it shows up even for the bus journeys so it's kinda confusing.
If there are places that are closed down it will affect the subway AND the RAIL? Or if the subway's closed I should be fine on the train?
And the same with the busses will they have to go different routes or what? As in will it affect the EasyBus service if I choose to go with it? ( the stops are Brent Cross A406 Shopping Centre, Finchley Rd Station Near O2 Centre, London Baker Street /Gloucester Place (Baker Street UG), Marble Arch - Park Lane BusStop 14Afinitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:eek:ther; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; mso-themecolor:followedhyperlink; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} span.orangeroute {mso-style-name:eek:rangeroute; mso-style-unhide:no;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Sorry it's confusing :)

Thank you for this thread it is a great help! :flowers:

Last edited:

i know i know ive been slacking! thanks to moonstreet for giving help... I will update the first post now, and try to answer any questions left x

Hey Katzr2000,
I have a question for you.
I was looking at the journey planner website and it's pretty cool, it shows the easiest routes and everything but they say that they're going to have major engineering works throughout this summer... How do I know where and when exactly?
I was debating between taking the EasyBus or the train, which would you say it's easier?

We're arriving at Luton and our hotel is in Russel square. The train seems to be easier, we wouldn't have to change, go to St.Pancras and then walk for about 30 mins but they may be working on lines.

The bus I think we'd have to go to Marble arch and then take the subway to Russel Square, not sure if we'd have to change again but the thing is I've heard it's best to get tix online in advance...

So... what would you advise us to do? Also it's a bit more complicated bc my friends are arriving on the 26th then they will be picking me up on the 27th from Luton.... I know the bus tix are assigned for certain times and it makes me a bit weary about getting them in advance bc you know flights, they may be delayed and stuff... You never know...

Tell me what you think. Thanks a lot for your help.:yes:

Oh, one more thing... What would you say is the best route to go back to the hotel after the concert? I don't really kno what time it will end ( or when we'll be able to get out with that sea of ppl and all LOL) so what are our options?

Also, when we get the Oyster, which zones should we get it for? The center of London is zone 1 right? We don't need the O2 area since that's a one night thing but what about other 'touristy' things that aren't included in zone 1?
Thanks!!

Wow thats alot of questions lol With bus or train, if I was you I would plan on taking the train, but keep the bus as a back up just in case of rail disruptions. Im not to sure bout your concern with the bus tickets, i thought they were for the whole day not a certain time that day, maybe someone else could clarify this or talk to someone at the company you would be ordering the ticket from. BUT I do believe you will be able to get tickets when you arrive if you are weary bout prebooking.

I will answer the other 2 questions on the front page. I hope this helps at all x

Q&A has been moved due to lack of space in 1 post. Its been updated with your latest questions. Thank you again to all those who provided answers in my absence.

Q & As

Q : i am going to land in luton airport and our hotel is in eltham. how is the best way to go from the airport to the hotel? we are planning to go to the o2 that day and the other days go to central london to do some things. what is the best and cheapest thing for me? an oyster card or a travelcard? and which zones do i need if i stay in eltham? i have used travelcards before so im used to it but im somehow confused by that oyster cards. are oyster cards and normal travelcards valid on railway?

A : From Luton Airport to Eltham I would recommend using First Capital Connect. You can use this service to London Bridge. From London Bridge Rail Station you can then get the National Rail to Eltham. You can purchase a ticket via HERE which will not only cover your travel from the Airport, but will also include a travel card which should also cover your travel from London Bridge to Eltham, and Eltham To North Greenwich for the day (please check this, as I could not find info on what zones the travelcard includes, but should be all zones). For travel from your hotel to central London you will require a travel card covering zones 1 - 4. You will be unable to use oyster card due to your hotel being located on the National Rail. You can find pricing of travel cards HERE

Q: I was wondering, as I probably won't get any special ticket/card since I'll only be in London for two days, do I have to buy a separate ticket for the tube/train/bus/DLR?

A: No. A travel card covers you for all modes of London Transport. More information HERE

Q: How do I get from london victoria to london docklands (specifically TravelLodge) via coach? And how much would it cost?

A: You have two options both via National Express. You can either go from London (victoria) to London (Bow), or you can go to London (Canary Warf). One you have go to either destinations you can get a normal bus to near your hotel (the post code is E14 2AA just in case you didn't know). To London Bow its around £3 and for Canary Warf its around £2.20 (prices subject to booking options and time going). Both journeys are around the same length however there are alot more coaches to Bow throughout the day! On top of that cost add a normal bus fair (£2 cash, £1 oyster).

Q: I have a question about the Oyster travel card. The children card is for people in what age? Because I'm 17 and in my country you pay the discounted fare as long as you're a student, but how it is in London?

A: In the london, a child is considered to the age of 16 (although you will need photocard as proof). If you are 16 - 18 you can get a zip card for discounted travel. If you are over 18 but in full time education you can get a student card which gets you a 30% discount on travel. Due to the nature of the application (by post with photo and proof of age / education), I am unsure if these discount cards are available for overseas visitors. They should however be available for people from other parts of the UK. For more information I suggest contacting TFL here

Q:If i choose to go to the aftershow that probably wont finish till at least 1am , there are no underground services then, so how would i get back ? My hotel is Raddison Edwardian in Canary Wharf.

- Take Bus 108 from stop D at North Greenwich Station, travelling towards Stratford Bus Station.
- Change at Bromley-by-Bow Station and get the bus 323 from stop BN, towards Canning town.
- Change at Canning town Station and get bus N550 from stop C towards Trafalgar square.
- Get off at Coldharbour and walk to your hotel from there.

If your ever unsure of where you need to get off, ask the driver as you board, and they will usually let you know when its time for you to get off.

In my opinion this is a very long winded route which will take a minimum of 40 minutes. My advice would be to get a taxi / mini cab from the o2 back to your hotel. Please see the information above.

It may be an idea to contact the o2 or thames clippers to find out what time the boats from the o2 will be running till on the night of the MJ events, and their running times depend on the event times, and due to the after show may be running later. If they are running this will be ideal for anyone staying in canary wharf. www.thamesclippers.com/

Q: If you're in the docklands on the north side of the river, how can you get to the southside on foot or via paid transport? Is it quick, or does it take time? And is it easy to get across 24 hours per day?

A: Best way to cross the river is via Thames Clipper which runs a service direct to the o2. Prices and times vary. Please see here for more information.

Q: I am staying in miles drive, woolwich. could you please tell me the best way to go to the o2 from there and to the city center? which travelcard do i need?

A: Easiest way to get to O2 from Woolwich is to the bus, get a 53 or 54 to Blackheath Standard and then a 108 to the O2...the actual travelling time should only be about 20mins, but waiting for the buses may extend that time. All these buses are very frequent, running about every 12 mins. Also, the 53 and 108 run 24hrs, so you will have no problems getting back to Woolwich. I would recommend using PAYG Oyster for this journey.

Q: I'm staying in Greenwich during the concert but how would i get to the O2 Arena from Canary Wharf DLR station?

A: At Canary Wharf, exit the DLR station and follow the signs for the Jubilee Line. Greenwich North, the stop for The O2 is just 1 stop from Canary Wharf.

Q: How do you pay for the busses?and the same with tube?

A: Buses you can pay either by cash or by an electronic prepay card called OYSTER. Cash fares on buses are a flat fare of £2, no matter the length of your journey. The money is given to the driver and then you take your ticket from the machine. Most drivers will refuse to take notes higher than £5 so if you are paying cash, make sure you have the correct change.

I would recomend getting an OYSTER Card, use it on both buses and tubes. It can be used either as a payas you go ticket or as a weekly ticket, depending on how much travel you will be doing. Using OYSTER PAYAS YOU GO is cheaper than using cash, on the bus its £1 on Oyster compared to £2 cash.

Tubes you either need a paper ticket which you buy at the ticket office or at the machines in the stations, or you can uses OYSTER CARD. To access the tube platform you either need to swipe your OYSTER CARD or put your paper ticket through the scanner. You need to do the same to exit the tube platforms.

Q: I would like to stay at the Piccadilly Backpackers. Which is the easiest way to get to the o2 arena from there?

A: 1.walk down Sherwood Street to Picadilly Circus tube station

I have a question about Natioan rail and oyster. Our hostel is on New Cross Station. On TFL site there is a map of rail stations on which I can't use oyster, New Cross is one of them. But when I do single fair search for prices from New Cross to Westminster it gives me price for Oyster too. Is it a bug, or Oyster is availabe on New Cross?
Thank you!

Back