Michael Jackson Latin tribute at El Portal Theatre

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
An electric Latin beat can wake up the dead…well, not quite!
d53e606b3d4b966ef4cbc9270400cfc8.jpg

Most assuredly, however, the power of that syncopated rhythm coming from those congas, bongos, claves, and tamboras will get you moving. And when “Rock With You” starring Seaon Stylist-Bristol opens at El Portal Theatre on December 23, be ready for a powerhouse of energy that boldly communicates soulful Latin grooves. The show is a tribute to the Michael Jackson; however, this tribute takes on a totally Latin spin.

When Jackson died on June 25, 2009, Bristol, like the millions of other fans around the world, was devastated. Yet, just as the King of Pop was being laid to rest, Bristol became inspired. Over the next several months, he began creating his show, combining his talent and years of experience as a dancer, choreographer, actor and singer.

Jackson, “a genius” as Bristol calls him, had impacted Bristol throughout his life. He also was familiar with how fellow-Latinos had been deeply influenced by the musical great. Thus, Bristol was intent on developing a show that would re-orchestrate Jackson’s music, incorporating a distinctly Latin sound. Working with Grammy-nominated producer Rebeca Mauleon, who is also an internationally recognized and accomplished musician, bandleader and composer, Bristol accomplished his goal. This will be the first time that the show has been produced in Los Angeles; during the development phase, it was performed in New York and Germany, and most recently in San Francisco.

“Rock With You” is a stage production complete with live musicians and sixteen dancers who will charge up the night. Bristol performs with two back-up vocalists, while the Los Angeles Harmony Girls’ Choir rounds out the show. Besides a compilation of Jackson’s hits, including “Remember the Time,” “Can You Feel It” and “Human Nature” amongst others, the show has Bristol’s rendition of “Smile”, one of Jackson’s favorite songs, as well as a Christmas song.

For Bristol, arriving at this point in his career has proved to be more than a bit interesting. As a youngster growing up in Guyana, on the north coast of South America, Bristol’s family was poor. Since they didn’t have a television, a young Seaon used to peek through a neighbor’s window to catch a glimpse of the mysterious box. Generally, his neighbor responded by pulling the curtains shut.

But one day, things were decidedly different. That same neighbor invited Bristol and family into her home. It was the first time that he got close to a television set. On the small screen was Michael Jackson. From that moment on, Bristol was a faithful fan.

As his admiration for Jackson grew, Bristol recalls that when he was eight years old, he wanted so much to communicate with the mega-star, that the youngster called Jackson’s fan club and “demanded” to speak with Jackson. Flabbergasted, the fan club employee was at a loss for words. At the time, Bristol was too young to know much about how things work in show business.

As the years came and went, Bristol’s life dramatically changed. He eventually moved to New York City and attended New York University (NYU) where he studied finance. Yet, his real passion was to become an entertainer, and he soon decided to follow that dream.

Salsa dancing proved to be one of his most admired talents, allowing him to travel around the world to such cities as Berlin, Hong Kong, Paris, Tokyo, and more. Recently, while he was in San Francisco, he met Helen Azevedo, co-producer of this production of “Rock With You”. It was through their partnership that Bristol was enabled to bring his tribute to fruition.

Just as all things Latino continue to enrich our culture, Justin Bieber's new song “Latin Girl” is all the buzz even before it's been released. Bristol’s timing in bringing his show to Los Angeles does more than just illustrate his insight. It confirms what we all innately knew; the Latin beat will always be “Hot, Hot, Hot”!

(El Portal Theatre is located at 5269 Lankershim Blvd. in North Hollywood, 91601 “Rock With You” runs Thursday, December 23 thru Sunday, January 2 (including New Year’s Day) Showtimes: Tuesday thru Friday @ 8:00 p.m.; Saturdays @ 6:00 & 9:00 p.m.; Sundays @ 3:00 & 7:00 p.m. Or click here to buy tickets.)

Rock with you Blends Michael Jackson with a latin beat
http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture...jackson-with-a-latin-beat?cid=parsely#parsely
969e1d7a7488657d7815c2dfbf2fb826.jpg

Seaon Stylist Bristol rom Rock with You
Photo: Seaon Stylist Bristol

Seaon Stylist Bristol grew up loving Michael Jackson and his music. So when the King of Pop died suddenly in July of 2009, Seaon set out to create a tribute to the star. That celebration of Jackson's music is coming to life in "Rock with You" at the El Portal Theatre in Burbank-adjacent North Hollywood, California, starting on December 23.

But this is not just another Jackson tribute. This show fuses Michael's music with Latin beats and jazz stylings. The numbers are performed to Salsa, Cha-cha-cha, Merengue and even Latin Hip Hop rhythms. In a recent interview Seaon told us he got the idea while working on a Broadway show after Michael's passing. He recalled, "His death came as the ultimate shock and disbelief to me. I started to think of all the different tribute shows that were happening and they all seemed the same to me. I was working on a Broadway production at the time to fuse Latin and Jazz together, and then the idea hit me. I did not only want to pay him tribute, but I wanted to celebrate his music and his moves. Being of a heavy Latin and jazz influence, I noticed that no one had created a show of this nature, so I set out to make it a reality."
752e87118edfb419f95b4a23aa50840c.jpg

He claimed that in the beginning he wasn't sure if the concept would work. But he said, "[The] musician and singer instinct in me kicked in, and I decided to trust and run with it. After the first two arrangements were completed, I couldn't stop dancing. It's truly addicting. I didn't know what to do to continue making this a reality. All I had was a vision, a dream, the love of Michael and some high-energy Latin rhythms. I figured, run with it, let's see how it flies. And boy, has it flown."

A Michael Jackson Christmas show

We thought it was unusual that the show was being promoted as a holiday event, but Seaon explained that the cast would be performing some of Michael's favorite Christmas songs that he sang with The Jackson Five. They also have added the Harmonies Girls Choir to join in on a Christmas medley and a "heal the world" medley of songs Michael sang with kids. Seaon commented, "This is a show about fusing cultures and rhythms, about coming together and feeling the joy of our humanity through music and dance. It crosses social, cultural, spiritual, ethnic, economic, language and age barriers. It promotes peace on earth simply by virtue of its existence and the positive energy it radiates. What better time of the year to debut this show? It's the ultimate non-Christmas, Christmas show. It's not only celebrating Michael's music it celebrates life. It's hot and spicy but always wholesome. It's emotionally and physically moving and always uplifting."

Season also said that he is proud to present a show that honors his Latin heritage. He remarked, "Even in Los Angeles with our enormous Latino population, there are still, unfortunately, only a limited number of events that embrace the Latin community as an important constituency of the mainstream audience, and even fewer that actually dare to be innovative."

Arrangements by Rebeca Mauleon

According to Seaon, Grammy nominated Latin musician and composer Rebeca Mauleon wrote most of the musical arrangements for the show. He related, "When we first met it was love at first sight... in the creation department that is. She saw my vision, and being a true MJ fan herself, she was already familiar with the music and fully understood the hybrid we needed between Michael's originality and intricate Latin rhythms. We worked day and night to get every beat and mood right, and I couldn't be prouder of the work we've accomplished together."

Seaon has been a Michael Jackson fan since he was a young boy in South America and his father would send him Michael's records and videos. He remembers the way he and his friends would feel when they would gather around to hear the latest song. He expressed, "This is precisely what I wanted to bring to the stage when I created this show 'Rock With You.' I wanted to show the level of excitement that we felt as kids through his music, but also infuse it with our special Latin roots and culture… His music is infections. It just makes you want to dance and move and sing. And that's precisely what Salsa and most other Latin rhythms do to your soul and your spirit. Now can you imagine the combination? It's incredibly infectious and you just can't sit still."

Michael Jackson's influence on Seaon Stylist Bristol

Seaon thought back to the first time he ever saw Jackson. "I remember the exact moment I first saw MJ perform. Growing up in South America, we were raised really poor, and couldn't afford a television. One of my neighbors, however, did have a television and the kids and I would all stack around their outside window trying to peek in to get a view. Most often they were rather mean to us and would close their windows, but the first time they invited us in to sit down and enjoy a viewing was the most memorable time for me. This is because the first video I ever saw on live television was Michael Jackson's 'Thriller.' How funny is that? The first thing I've ever seen on TV happened to be the biggest project of my life. I don't think that's a coincidence at all. Love it."

Although no members of the Jackson family have been to the show yet, many of Michael's colleagues and dancers have seen it. Season said they are "completely blown away by the originality of the concept. They have personally expressed interest in coming on board and assisting on certain details, since they obviously have had the pleasure of knowing and working with Michael. I accepted, of course, because this adds a unique overtone to the show. In some way I feel like we're getting MJ's approval and that's important... Just to imagine that MJ is smiling down on us, watching us as we celebrate his work the best way we know how — Latin style."

"Rock with You" is at the El Portal Theatre in North Hollywood from December 23, 2010 through January 2, 2011. For more information visit http://www.elportaltheatre.com/elportal.html or call 818-508-4200.

Wow! Thankyou for sharing Moonwalker.Fan!
The magic of Michael Jackson lives on...

Back