who plays the sax on Behind the mask?

the bass player is pretty sick on this song too, i'd be interested in knowing who it is...

TBH, I really wish the sax wasn't on the song. Was it on the original version or was it bought in by John McClain?

The rest of the song sounds so contemporary but the sax solo really ages it. Who has a sax solo in 2010?

TBH, I really wish the sax wasn't on the song. Was it on the original version or was it bought in by John McClain?

The rest of the song sounds so contemporary but the sax solo really ages it. Who has a sax solo in 2010?

I kind of agree, although part of me really loves it. Torn.

I agree with you
Not that I like that modern flow, but the sax was really unnecessary. It just doesn't fit the edited version, although the solo in the beginning is very beautiful
Same with the accordion in Much Too Soon

god what did you expect? it's john mcclain.

he already managed to make "this is it" a disgrace. did you really expect someone, who's career highlight was "you are my life" on invincible, can deliver 2 great tracks?

they should've let teddy riley finish of these 2 or neff-u, tricky or lenny.

but you know, john mcclain is an estate executor, and he LOVES to put his name big on display with everywhere MJ related.

I agree. The sax both helps and hurts the song to me. It puts a jazzy retro throwback feel to the song. But it also clashes with the computerized instrumentation and sound effects in the song too.

^ Agreed. I like the solo, but it doesn't fit with the current sound of today's pop.

(Hmm, Jamiroquai is/are good at blending old & new sounds and it works.)

Why the hell didn't they put STTR on the new album, that would have been perfect for today. :(

Hurrah! Welcome back.

I'm torn also, I hated the sax at first, no instrument says mid 1980s more than a saxophone (Careless Whisper, True etc) but I'm starting to like it. Maybe because the rest of the song is so damn great that it doesn't matter. A guitar solo would have fitted better though.

^ Agreed. I like the solo, but it doesn't fit with the current sound of today's pop

All i can say about that is THANK GOD! We don't want MJ to be fitting in with the sound of today's current music because i think it's just crap.

MJ needs to distance himself from today's mainstream music sound as much as possible

Yeah, really. who does sax these days. I've watched Beyonce's I Am... Yours live in Las Vegas blu-ray. And there was a sax solo and a whole section with jazz vibe. And I think there was a sax solo in "the Beyonce experiense", not so sure.
Thats so out of date. Come on people, get an update. Learn from Lady Gaga, how it's been done, whats cool. I'm so disappointed of Beyonce. she done two songs with Gaga and still hasn't learned. Leave Jay-z off professional side, keep him only for "privat" work.

On the other side, i'm a retro guy, so I like it. and to me fits perfectly. thats the hook in the song.

All i can say about that is THANK GOD! We don't want MJ to be fitting in with the sound of today's current music because i think it's just crap.

MJ needs to distance himself from today's mainstream music sound as much as possible
Then you mean you don't want MJ to be fitting in with the sound of today's current music, because you think it's crap.

MJ tended to use whatever he liked from what was currently available in terms of trends. He stayed up to date with what was going on in music. I think that if you want music to sell big time, you've gotta use what's hot, at least to some extent, perhaps build on it or change it up somehow. MJ often did that kind of thing.

Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you, I prefer retro stuff too. Especially classical music.

I prefer real instruments, but I'm not against the newer sounds. Like in STTR. Although it's not my preferred sound, MJ does great with that one. :yes:

The sax is sampled from the original version is it not? And i don't mean the Eric Clapton version, i mean the original.

The sax is ok....but I can't stand the woman's voice that comes in at the very end of the song with a sung "howl". Really unnecessary IMHO.

So, I guess I'm old fasionned cause I really love this sax. Imo this song is just perfect.

This is a short bit from 'For the record' about Behind the mask:

Original instrumental version recorded by Yellow Magic Orchestra for their 1979 album. Quincy Jones heard it during the Thriller sessions. Michael recorded it and added an extra melody line and some extra lyrics. They wanted to split the royalties. But Chris Mosdell (writer of the original song) said that was impossible. You can't take a Beatles song and add a melody line, a few more lyrics and ask for 50%.

Legal battles meant Michael's version didn't make his THriller album and remains unreleased.

Reading this ofcourse I checked the credits on the album and it says written by Michael Jackson, Chris Mosdell and Ryuichi Sakamoto (original writer as well). And then it says: Behind the mask contains a sample of the recording Behing the Mask as performed by Yellow Magic Orchestra.
Well that's another way to put it hahaha. Wonder how the royalties go now......

This is a short bit from 'For the record' about Behind the mask:

Original instrumental version recorded by Yellow Magic Orchestra for their 1979 album. Quincy Jones heard it during the Thriller sessions. Michael recorded it and added an extra melody line and some extra lyrics. They wanted to split the royalties. But Chris Mosdell (writer of the original song) said that was impossible. You can't take a Beatles song and add a melody line, a few more lyrics and ask for 50%.

Legal battles meant Michael's version didn't make his THriller album and remains unreleased.

Reading this ofcourse I checked the credits on the album and it says written by Michael Jackson, Chris Mosdell and Ryuichi Sakamoto (original writer as well). And then it says: Behind the mask contains a sample of the recording Behing the Mask as performed by Yellow Magic Orchestra.
Well that's another way to put it hahaha. Wonder how the royalties go now......

Haha, interesting!

how would they know? i think you need to check ur michael credits lol

I agree 1000% with you.................. sax solo????? :doh:

For those of you who don't like the sax solo what would you use instead of it?

sax is sexy, and sooo hard to play. don't mack something till u've tried it. it takes epic levels of skill to play one, and lungs the size of swimming pools. the sax to me completes the song and gives it funky jazz twist. And i'm fairly certain that it is sampled from the Yellow Magic Orchestra version, correct me if i'm wrong. =)

i do like the sax on it...no, i love it....from the moment i heard it i thought it was pure sex...LOVE IT...

For those people who are interest who the sax player is, it's Mike Phillips, who has been with Prince on and off since 2006 performing on stage with and included in a couple of albums of his.

Back