which songs are complete?

Ingelief

Proud Member
Hi i was taking a bath with the new cd :) and i was wondering which songs are completed by michael, the singing, and which not. Some examples for me:

-Hold my hand, Akon said in a interview it was finished when michael was still alive, but the early version leaked was a little different if i recall it correctly.. akon saying: akon and mj is new in it

-hollywood tonight, the song was recorded in the invincible time? but the spoken version was by teddy so was this not done by michael yet or was it never the intention to do this piece..?

-Monster, michael said that he liked rap but not when he does it but others, and wanted to make a song which was partly rapped by a good rapper, (in some interview he said this) in monster we hear 50 cent rapping. so were the parts michael sang finished? for me the Ahh during the rap part is everytime the same, and so it seems the backvocals were not sang all..

-behind the mask, a song recorded during thriller area? was this completed? and only uptempo-ed for this time of area?

-much too soon it was also written in thriller area but when did he recorded it? his voice sounds older then during thriller.

-another day, whe had a early version and its different then the version on the album, the same EHH at oa. 0.40 and 1.34 sec is for me lower then the leaked version... maybe more michael voice and more lyrics? but was it finished before he died? because it didnt make invincable so why was the leak different? maybe was the leak michaels version? or ??

I hope to make some sence above and that someone will help me with it..

edit: some p's extra sorry guys

Last edited:
No songs were completed (except the previous-released TWYLM). HMH was closest to being finished, and a few extra elements were added to MTS.

Everything else seems to be quite unfinished.

First you may want to add an extra 'p' to the words 'raped' and 'raping' :lol:

EDIT: thanks for the letter correction spoonie :D

Last edited:
Much Too Soon and Behind The Mask where completed. Just a few things added to make it more modern.

The ones I thought were definitely complete were Hold My Hand (although like you said the earlier version was different but it still could have been completed before his passing), Much Too Soon which was completed in the thriller era and Another Day which I think was a completed track that didn't make Invincible. Behind The Mask is a possibility being that it sounds so dated that I doubt it was completed recently but I could be wrong of course.

Probably I'm wrong but Much Too Soon don't sound like a Thriller era single because of his voice, at that time it was softer.
I heard it didn't make it for HIStory.

I think the only song that was completed was "Much Too Soon" although some elements were added after his passing.

Every other song seems to have repeated lead vocals and repeated adlib vocals which happens in no other MJ song I can think of aside from "One More Chance." That just wasn't his styple

What about Best Of Joy?Wasn't there an interview where Neff-U siad that Michael personally mastered the song before his passing?

Yeah, BOJ sounds like it was finished. May be just polished a bit before the release

I think in order of completeness, it goes something like this:

HMH (100% - completed whilst MJ was alive)
MTS (100% - completed whilst MJ was alive, except the accordian)
AD (100% - completed song, but Lenny screwed it up)
BOJ (95% - completed whilst MJ was alive, there may have been modifications)
ILTWYLM (85% - TUC version just needed polishing)
BTM (50% - No idea. I'm guessing it was half done)
HT (50% - No idea. I'm guessing it was half done)

I've heard that 'Behind The Mask' was supposed to be on 'Thriller', but because of legal issues the song wasn't released on the album. Does anybody know if that's true?

That is true. Personally, I believe that "Behind the Mask" was meant to take the #10 spot on "Thriller", as was the album convention at the time, but copyright/legal issues stopped it from being on there, most likely crediting issues.

I think in order of completeness, it goes something like this:

HMH (100% - completed whilst MJ was alive)
MTS (100% - completed whilst MJ was alive, except the accordian)
AD (100% - completed song, but Lenny screwed it up)
BOJ (95% - completed whilst MJ was alive, there may have been modifications)
ILTWYLM (85% - TUC version just needed polishing)
BTM (50% - No idea. I'm guessing it was half done)
HT (50% - No idea. I'm guessing it was half done)

Lenny screwed up haha, you mean the final version?

Much Too Soon and Behind The Mask where completed. Just a few things added to make it more modern.
I don't believe Behind The Mask was a finished song. There are parts of the song where MJ seems to be mumbling the lyrics. If MJ was still alive and wanted to release this song, I think he would have recorded new vocals.

Hold My Hand (2007) - Akon and Michael did not work on this song after it leaked. It wasn't finished. Akon reproduced the music in 2010.

Hollywood Tonight (2001-2007) - unfinished, all music newly produced in 2010.

Keep Your Head Up (2007) - all music newly produced in 2010.

The Way You Love Me (1999-2000) - a finished outtake, previously released in 2004, all music newly produced in 2010.

Monster (2007) - all music newly produced in 2010

Best Of Joy (2008-2009) - most likely almost finished by MJ himself, slightly altered in 2010 - Mischke recorded additional background harmonies last year.

Breaking News (2007) - all music newly produced in 2010

Another Day (1999-2001) - finished, slightly altered in August 2010: newly recorded background harmonies by Lenny, new guitar riffs added, different effects on drums.

Behind The Mask (1982) - finished for Thriller, all music newly produced in 2010.

Much Too Soon (1994) - recorded very early on during the HIStory sessions, all music newly produced in 2010 by John McClain.

to sum it up - Michael hasn't heard any song from the album the way they were released.

im not agreeing with your list alec, the voice of michael is older then the thriller area for behind the mask. and monster was more ready then not ready, also 50 cent said.

@noirnoar

link from wikipedia

Track listingNo. Title Writer(s) Producer(s) Length
1. "Hold My Hand" (Duet with Akon) Aliaune Thiam, Giorgio Tuinfort, Claude Kelly Akon, Giorgio Tuinfort, Michael Jackson* 3:32
2. "Hollywood Tonight" Michael Jackson, Brad Buxer; spoken bridge written by Teddy Riley

there's nothing to agree about - those are facts.

the music on Monster was produced from scratch by Teddy Riley and Behind The Mask was recorded during the Thriller sessions - that's the only time MJ worked on the song.

says you.. why is that a fact? i asked for opinions, and there are people like me who think the voice of michael is not from the thriller area. besides we can be nice here right?

Michael had completed Behind The Mask which is a FACT. It was going to be put onto Thriller which is a FACT. He couldn't due to changing the lyrics which resulted into legal reasons which is a FACT.

Last edited:
Ingelief;3216769 said:
says you.. why is that a fact? i asked for opinions, and there are people like me who think the voice of michael is not from the thriller area. besides we can be nice here right?

Yes we can be nice :)
To my ears is BTM sounds like classic Michael from
Thriller era_ to yours or somone elses may sound recent

There is a differece between opinion that is sounds like Michael
later and the FACT that it was produced during the Thriller era.

Opinions are not facts _The song is known to be produced
and finished during Thriller era and later new mix and instrumental
added for the Michael Album_ but Michael's vocals are from the 80's

If his MJ voice was more recent they would state that on the Album
becuase it would garner more interest and more sales

You can do some research to find the FACTS on "Behind The Mask" if you want ?

"Behind the Mask" was a track from Yellow Magic Orchestra's 1979 album Solid State Survivor
The keyboardist of Yellow Magic Orchestra, and the writer of the song Ryuichi Sakamoto, re-recorded
the song in 1987 with Michael Jackson's additional lyrics and lead vocals by Bernard Fowler.

Later Michael Jackson's keyboardist Greg Phillinganes's recorded the song using Michael lyrics on his 1985 album Pulse.

Behind The Mask was covered by The Human League in 2003 with Yellow Magic Orchestra.

Quincy Jones heard Yellow Magic Orchestra’s version during the Thriller sessions, and brought it to Michael Jackson,
Michael recorded the song, adding an extra melody line and a few extra lyrics.

Legal battles prevented the song to be released on Jackson's sixth studio album, Thriller, and remained unreleased for over 20 years.

Last edited:
There is a differece between opinion that is sounds like Michael
later and the FACT that it was produced during the Thriller era.

Yup. Recorded during the Thriller sessions, but it was a chosen track for the album but had to be changed due to legal reasons.

Michael had completed Behind The Mask which is a FACT. It was going to be put onto Thriller which is a FACT. He couldn't due to changing the lyrics which resulted into legal reasons which is a FACT.
Exactly how do you know for a fact the song was completed? Just because it was supposed to be on Thriller doesn't mean it was finished. Michael could have been working on the song and when he found out it couldn't be put on Thriller, he stopped working on it. On top of that, BTM has crowd noise in it from the Bucharest Dangerous concert. If the song was complete, why did they are this?

Last edited:
that was what i was thinking... its not something we can know for sure..

edit maybe we know for sure about behind the mask.. but the other im not seeing prove or so??

Teddy said it is released if its finished so thats different what we believe happend to hollywood tonight, why the spoken bridge??? PS who did that, wikipedia says teddy riley????

Last edited:
And who chose the songs that are on Michael? who choses in all the unreleased songs which on the put on a album>????? would be such a great job.. listening to alll what he had done and choose.. wow goosebumps

Back