Oprah’s OWN Network *Update Post 31*

billyworld99

Proud Member
By Kim Palacios

hollywoodnews.com: After nearly a month on the air, the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) has failed to maintain the energy of early buzz and to build critical momentum. Ratings for most shows are on decline, even following normalization from the initial push. The response is surprising, given the media mogul’s capacity to supply rich content and finance a successful marketing campaign, not to mention the built-in following afforded by OWN’s partnership with Discovery Networks.

A questionable programming mix may explain poor results. When paired with Oprah originals such as “Oprah Behind the Scenes” and “Oprah’s All-Stars”, Discovery Network shows such as “Mystery Diagnosis” and “Trading Spaces” seem unlikely bedfellows. Add in several completely unrecognizable titles such as “Cristina Ferrare’s Big Bowl of Love” and “Anna & Kristina’s Grocery Bag” and the network’s focus seems a bit schizophrenic.

Another peculiarity of the network: despite fourteen currently available shows and another three in the pipeline for spring, viewers who tune in often find three to four-episode marathons of the same show allocated to a large block of time.

Still, the OWN Network isn’t much ado about nothing. Current programming notwithstanding, the network hasn’t even scratched the surface of its potential. Hours of programming from years worth of Oprah Show archives would surely appeal to die-hard fans. And, new shows such as “Oprah Presents Master Class” are distinguishing themselves as winners.

Follow Hollywood News on Twitter for up-to-date news information.

Like they said, the NWO.. sorry, the OWN chanel hasn't yet scratched the surface of its 'potential', it's still in its diapers.

I'm not into wishing other people failure...with the exception of Conrad Murray and maybe the Kardashians (heh). However, I agree with the article. I've only watched one program (the Behind The Scenes episode with Katherine Jackson) but having skimmed through the DVR programming list the lineup needs work. All those marathons of the same program for one. But then other cable channels do that sort of thing too (which is annoying). I'm looking forward to Rosie O'Donnell's new show on the network.

twinklEE;3223646 said:
serves her right

yep and I know it's not right to wish bad on anyone, but I really hope this network flops.. I know I haven't watched one episode on it since it debuted and I have no intention on doing so. Oprah needs to take a very long break and go away for a long time

Maybe once its officially failed she will finally retire early. :pray:

All they seem to show is Oprah, random unrecognizable material, and Dr. Phil--yeah, it's going to be on the decline. It's nothing we can't see on another network (re Dr. Phil) and like the OP said in the cited article--the focus seems schizophrenic. It has no clear theme of its own, no real explanation or introduction to the new material, and it's all just a confused and garbled mess of television programmes...of course it's going to flop.

I'd say OWN got OWNed? :p

Bloodnofsky;3223860 said:
All they seem to show is Oprah, random unrecognizable material, and Dr. Phil--yeah, it's going to be on the decline. It's nothing we can't see on another network (re Dr. Phil) and like the OP said in the cited article--the focus seems schizophrenic. It has no clear theme of its own, no real explanation or introduction to the new material, and it's all just a confused and garbled mess of television programmes...of course it's going to flop.

I'd say OWN got OWNed? :p

LOL... I hope so

I don't wish ill either. I wish she, as well as other money-loving people, would wake up at once. ..

Last edited:
Can't say I'm not surprised.

I mean, keeping folks interested in your ONE HOUR program, 5-days a week, is one thing. Keeping them interested in your around-the-clock programing is something completely different. Especially when there are a zillion+ cable stations out there, not including regular network programing.

And on a personal note, WHY do so many of the programs on the channel start with Oprah's......... I know it's her channel and all, but dang, her name on so many shows is a turn off, in my opinion.

I'd rather watch 24 "straight" hours of the FISHING CHANNEL. LOL!

billyworld99;3223614 said:
By Kim Palacios

hollywoodnews.com: After nearly a month on the air, the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) has failed to maintain the energy of early buzz and to build critical momentum. Ratings for most shows are on decline, even following normalization from the initial push. The response is surprising, given the media mogul’s capacity to supply rich content and finance a successful marketing campaign, not to mention the built-in following afforded by OWN’s partnership with Discovery Networks.

A questionable programming mix may explain poor results. When paired with Oprah originals such as “Oprah Behind the Scenes” and “Oprah’s All-Stars”, Discovery Network shows such as “Mystery Diagnosis” and “Trading Spaces” seem unlikely bedfellows. Add in several completely unrecognizable titles such as “Cristina Ferrare’s Big Bowl of Love” and “Anna & Kristina’s Grocery Bag” and the network’s focus seems a bit schizophrenic.

Another peculiarity of the network: despite fourteen currently available shows and another three in the pipeline for spring, viewers who tune in often find three to four-episode marathons of the same show allocated to a large block of time.

Still, the OWN Network isn’t much ado about nothing. Current programming notwithstanding, the network hasn’t even scratched the surface of its potential. Hours of programming from years worth of Oprah Show archives would surely appeal to die-hard fans. And, new shows such as “Oprah Presents Master Class” are distinguishing themselves as winners.

Follow Hollywood News on Twitter for up-to-date news information.

I've noticed that the channel sucks,too. Everytime that I've flipped through the schedule listings, it's not even 'good' listings. I bet they are 'fishing' [for a ] 'target' shows and 'target' audience.

:wub:
souldreamer7

MJJ_luv1991;3224804 said:
I want Discovery Health back!!!!

Same here and that was one of my favorite channels too. I miss watching the show The Untold Stories Of The ER. I so loved that show. But thank God that I still have TLC.

The only times when I will watch the OWN network is when my mother watches it. Because she likes Oprah and that channel. And I have no choice but to watch it because when she is in the kitchen she's in control with what to watch on tv. When I just roll my eyes behind her back when she changes the kitchen tv to that horrid channel. But other than that I am glad that the channel is failing it really does serve her right. I really can not stand that lady.

well...that's how it goes, oprah.

on the other hand, i can't remember conan obrien being not nice to anybody, and his fledgling cable show took off, quickly.

I'm looking forward to Rosie O'Donnell's new show on the network.

What? Really?! WOW! Thanks for given me more reason not to watch Oprah's channel!

Rosie thinks MJ was guilty, she even wrote a stupid poem after he died saying the same thing! And we know how Oprah feel about that too! No wonder they would get along! EWW!

MJJ_luv1991;3224804 said:
I want Discovery Health back!!!!

MJsBollywoodGirl7;3232137 said:
Same here and that was one of my favorite channels too. I miss watching the show The Untold Stories Of The ER. I so loved that show. But thank God that I still have TLC.

I want it back too. Untold Stories of the ER was one of my favorites too along with some cooking shows they used to have too.

I would never watch anything on that Network.

Not gonna wish ill on anyone....(with a few exceptions, but they all deserve it)...but Oprah needed a wake up call.

Talking ish about not wanting to be Michael Jackson because MJ aimed to surpass Thriller.

Well, MJ had Bad , Dangerous, Hystory...and others, all better than Thriller, IMHO.

Memefan;3235695 said:
Not gonna wish ill on anyone....(with a few exceptions, but they all deserve it)...but Oprah needed a wake up call.

Talking ish about not wanting to be Michael Jackson because MJ aimed to surpass Thriller.

Well, MJ had Bad , Dangerous, Hystory...and others, all better than Thriller, IMHO.

I agree... she makes me sick. Very judgemental and she doesn't think her crap stinks. I hope the network is a total failure.

Success or failure, it's probably not going anywhere. Oprah can keep it on the air until the end of time out her pockets alone.

tvbythenumbers did an article, yesterday, regarding Oprah's new cable station and this was the title of said article:

"OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network Ratings Keep Falling; Now Well Below Discovery Health Women 25-54 Averages"

While reading through the COMMENT SECTION I came across a few references to Michael. This one stood out for me:

"....Also, she should not have alienated the multi-millions of Michael Jackson fans for her incessant denigrating of a cultural icon who was and remains bigger than Oprah Winfrey. I personally no longer watch Winfrey precisely because she continues to attach accusation and innuendo to his name. And I'm in her preferred demographic. Ms. Winfrey, get a clue."

Big Apple2;3238668 said:
tvbythenumbers did an article, yesterday, regarding Oprah's new cable station and this was the title of said article:

"OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network Ratings Keep Falling; Now Well Below Discovery Health Women 25-54 Averages"

While reading through the COMMENT SECTION I came across a few references to Michael. This one stood out for me:

"....Also, she should not have alienated the multi-millions of Michael Jackson fans for her incessant denigrating of a cultural icon who was and remains bigger than Oprah Winfrey. I personally no longer watch Winfrey precisely because she continues to attach accusation and innuendo to his name. And I'm in her preferred demographic. Ms. Winfrey, get a clue."

Cool... Thanks for posting Big Apple.

I can't stand her and I hope the ratings keep falling..

I, too, would like Discovery Health back. I loved watching the documentaries, and I loved watching Birth Day until they stopped making new episodes and it was rerun to death. There's just nothing on OWN that's really appealing to me. TLC has even gone to crap. Nothing but stupid reality shows that have absolutely nothing to do with "learning." There used to be a really cool show on there called "The Operation" where they'd show actual surgical procedures, almost from start to finish. It was awesome.

I think I'm in the minority when I say that I don't wish ill on Oprah, I just hope that one day this channel will eventually find it's niche and become more of a success. But to be honest, it's not surprising this network isn't doing so well, and most new networks don't until they start gaining momentum and find their place.

Big Apple2;3238668 said:

Was that by the person who wrote the article or just a random person?

Hah thats whats she gets trying to get interviews and have people talk about of pocket about MJ and others walks around with that cool aid smile on her face and everything fails her

Back