Beyonce skin is lighter?

They better leave her alone about "bleaching off the skin" nonsense that happened with Michael.

Don't really want to jump to conclusions... but... vitiligo?

@lucilla: I know right :p, Daily Mail write so much bad press, it's shockingly bad.

They better leave her alone about "bleaching off the skin" nonsense that happened with Michael.

@lucilla: I know right :p, Daily Mail write so much bad press, it's shockingly bad.

I'm thinking vitiligo too. She could have used fake tan/make-up before now to make her darker.

I'm thinking vitiligo too. She could have used fake tan/make-up before now to make her darker.

I highly doubt Beyonce has Vitiligo. It's far more likely that the apparent change in skin colour is caused by different lighting (one picture is inside, the other outside). My brother has a rather dark skin tone as well but in some pictures he looks very pale, almost as white as MJ, due to bad lighting. Also the blonde hair makes Beyonce look more like a "white girl" as well.

I do think it's funny how the Dailymail is quick to let an expert speak to dismiss any speculation about skin bleaching. Why couldn't they do that with Michael? :smilerolleyes:

Can't comment on that, it must be the outside natural light making her appear lighter as well.

However, I'm concerned about her, for her Jay Z association and marriage. Won't delve in deeper, as this isn't the thread for that, but my worries/and, am sure, others' are justified...

I don't really know what to say about that picture--it could be digitally altered for all we know, or just a picture with bad lighting as others have suggested. However, I do know that I like her shoes. :p

I think it is a trick of the light.

Yeah could easily be that..I'd have to see some pictures of her in different settings to see if her skin is like that..It does look very light though, regardless of the lighting.

This is a daily mail article.............tabloid!!!!!!!

This could easily be photoshopped...........or just bad photography!!!

OMG.

I am even seeing talks of her having Vitligo in here! :|

It's just make up and the light. On one picture she is in a darkened arena, on the second she is outside in daylight!

I don't know now. I just saw a picture of her hugging Janelle Monae and she still looks white and she is inside. I can't post it until I get home tonight though.

She's always been fairly light skinned (compared, say, to the other members of Destiny's Child) and she doesn't look too much different here in my honest opinion.

Obviously the picture is taken outside so the lighting would make her skin look lighter and with the blonde hair as well, I think that may add to the illusion.

She's always been fairly light skinned (compared, say, to the other members of Destiny's Child) and she doesn't look too much different here in my honest opinion.

Obviously the picture is taken outside so the lighting would make her skin look lighter and with the blonde hair as well, I think that may add to the illusion.

Actually, the blonde hair would have the adverse effect--it would create contrast, yes, but it would make the skin appear darker. That's why people who want to appear paler dye their hair dark brown/black--because then the contrasting effect is that their skin looks paler.

In any case, I don't think B 'bleaches' her skin, and I certainly do not think she has vitiligo. I think this is just a case of odd lighting, or--considering the source, good old photoshop, like another poster and I said earlier.

^I don't know Mikage, I am black and grew up in a black community and the women who dyed their hair lighter tended to look lighter skinned. I know it is different for white people, and I do not know why that is.

Its just lighting, both pictures were taken within a day of each other. You can't lighten your skin in a day now can you!

^I don't know Mikage, I am black and grew up in a black community and the women who dyed their hair lighter tended to look lighter skinned. I know it is different for white people, and I do not know why that is.

Generally speaking, it works in the way I described. It also depends on the person's specific shade, and even the particular shade of blonde--there are some which contrast more than others, with the platinum to really golden blondes giving adverse contrast, and the honey to dirty blondes tending to compliment darker skin better due to a more minimal contrast.

Like I said, though, B is a relatively light-skinned African-American in any case, and I think the shot we have is just due to lighting circumstance. There's also photoshop to consider--I wouldn't put it past a tabloid to do something to make someone look bad, or to just get a story out of nothing. Wouldn't be the first time.

It's prob just the light or they photoshopped her, because this is her at the Grammys the other day -

Clive Davis party - http://edenzapple.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/beyonce-rihanna-clive.jpg

Grammys - http://media.onsugar.com/files/2011/02/07/1/758/7588845/c24c6c71e0aa5aba_beyonce.xxlarge.jpg

Also excuse me, why did nobody say this about MJ, instead they ran with the skin bleaching rumour for him. - ‘But it cannot be used over the whole body. It is very unlikely she has had her skin bleached in this way.’

OK....just for the sake of argument....
What if someone who is black wants to be white ? So what ? Why does it have to be racial ?
White ppl are trying to look dark all the time, right ? That is true.
I am not talking about Beyonce..is she or not...but if someone wants it..so what ?!

What if someone who is black wants to be white ? So what ? Why does it have to be racial ?
I am not talking about Beyonce..is she or not...but if someone wants it..so what ?!

I agree. Some lighter-skinned people go through Hell to try to look darker [tan, like southern Europeans look, specifically] and some darker-skinned people want to look lighter, for whatever reason. It's all just aesthetics--who the Hell cares, right? Does it make them a better or worse person for it? No. Why is it anybody's business, what people want to look like? Shouldn't we, as a society, be able to look past these kind of things, and peer into a person's true worth? Their thoughts are far more important than their looks--yet our society is so shallow that it does naught but look at what people choose to wear/use/put on their hair/do to their skin/nails/face/chest/etc. It's madness.

I agree. Some lighter-skinned people go through Hell to try to look darker [tan, like southern Europeans look, specifically] and some darker-skinned people want to look lighter, for whatever reason. It's all just aesthetics--who the Hell cares, right? Does it make them a better or worse person for it? No. Why is it anybody's business, what people want to look like? Shouldn't we, as a society, be able to look past these kind of things, and peer into a person's true worth? Their thoughts are far more important than their looks--yet our society is so shallow that it does naught but look at what people choose to wear/use/put on their hair/do to their skin/nails/face/chest/etc. It's madness.

Well it matters to a lot of black people. It is well known that in black culture (well actually in almost every culture, even white people fairer skin was considered more beautiful) darker skinned people were maligned for a very long time. Lighter skinned people were considered more beautiful, more intelligent, they were more successful, etc. I would like to say this still does not happen, but although not on the same scale, it still occurs especially in the south in the US. So when someone tries to be lighter especially in order to Europeanize their features, because of this history, many blacks take this personally. It is as if you are saying who your are is not good enough. Black people are not good enough and you will only be successful by appearing more white.

When my mother was growing up, there was something called the "paper bag society". Where no one could be apart of this elite group if they were darker than a brown paper bag. they also had the "Blue veined Society" where if you were too dark to see the veins in your body, you could not belong. In music and theater, the women more successful were often very, very light with European features: Lena Horne, Dorothy Dandridge, etc.

If this was only a personal preference, then many would probably not care. But this is deep, depp seated racial issues at the heart of this and that is why it upsets so many people.

Last edited:
Back