Phil Collins Announces Retirement

MJ_Jordan

Proud Member
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a307206/phil-collins-vows-to-quit-music.html

"Phil Collins has revealed that he is to quit music.
The 'Easy Lover' singer has sold over 150 million records. "I don't think anyone's going to miss me," he told FHM.
"I'm sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that. It's hardly surprising that people grew to hate me.
"The star, who now lives in Switzerland, has suffered numerous health issues over recent years, only serving to make his job as a musician more difficult. He also claimed that he feels like an outsider in the modern music industry.
"I look at the MTV Music Awards and I think: 'I can't be in the same business as this'. I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me."I'm much happier to write myself out of the script entirely."
The singer recently revealed that he considered suicide during a few rough periods in his life.

Really sad to read this. I really like Phil and believe that people would still accept him in today's musical age. I'm 18, so missed out on when Phil was very successful, but i've managed to become familiar with a lot of his work.
Thanks Phil, all the best.

Thats really sad to hear him speak of him self like that, obviously people will miss him, he's even trending on twitter now, I wish he'd tour one last time before he retires, they'd sell a lot faster too, I would go !!

I like Phil Collins..as a matter of fact I have some of his stuff on my ipod...I will miss him.

That shocked me to read...I love his music and listen to him regularly. That's actually really sad. :(

OMG I love Phil Collins. I especially love the work he did for Tarzan. He made an amazing soundtrack for that film--it makes the film powerful and memorable. Collins is incredibly talented, and both his voice and music are truly unique and peerless. He is right in saying he doesn't belong in today's music industry because it's deteriorated to such a degree that we now glorify and reward stupid lyrics, autotuned voices and talentless twits. It's no secret, look at who some of the most successful "artists" (more like tools) are today, with such great and timeless contributions to music and art like "Baby", "Poker Face", "Fifteen", and "Party in the USA." Truly a tragedy.

I'm saddened to hear that Collins has contemplated suicide--I identify with his feeling as though he belongs nowhere within his industry and the world at large--I have some of the very same feelings, and I have 'been there', so to speak. Collins is truly one of the most talented artists to have ever lived, though, and I absolutely adore his voice. I'm glad he's still alive--he's unique and special, unlike those MTV brats.

????? Truly amazing. That song makes me cry every time. I love true art. ?????

OMG I love Phil Collins. I especially love the work he did for Tarzan. He made an amazing soundtrack for that film--it makes the film powerful and memorable. Collins is incredibly talented, and both his voice and music are truly unique and peerless. He is right in saying he doesn't belong in today's music industry because it's deteriorated to such a degree that we now glorify and reward stupid lyrics, autotuned voices and talentless twits. It's no secret, look at who some of the most successful "artists" (more like tools) are today, with such great and timeless contributions to music and art like "Baby", "Poker Face", "Fifteen", and "Party in the USA." Truly a tragedy.

I'm saddened to hear that Collins has contemplated suicide--I identify with his feeling as though he belongs nowhere within his industry and the world at large--I have some of the very same feelings, and I have 'been there', so to speak. Collins is truly one of the most talented artists to have ever lived, though, and I absolutely adore his voice. I'm glad he's still alive--he's unique and special, unlike those MTV brats.

????? Truly amazing. That song makes me cry every time. I love true art. ?????

Fantastic post! Couldn't agree more. Rep'd :)

I like Phil Collins and his music. Whatever he decides, if it's the best for him, I can only support his decision. Good luck to him!

Thats really sad to hear him speak of him self like that, obviously people will miss him, he's even trending on twitter now, I wish he'd tour one last time before he retires, they'd sell a lot faster too, I would go !!

I agree. This is so sad to hear. I have liked Phil Collins for almost my whole life. If he does retire, I will wish him luck. But also, I will miss him.

I will wait on this to see if it is true, but if it is...

I WILL MISS YOU PHIL, AND MANY OTHERS WILL! :(. I only bought your greatest hits album 2 weeks ago, I love the song Easy Lover, that's my favourite from yours :).

Unfortunately it's hip to hate Phil...some seriously good songs though that i will continue to listen to.Thanks for the memories Phil!

oh why, I hope this is not true. his last record was great.
I'll miss him, especially now with all this crappy music around us :(

This makes me sad.. :(
I really love Phil and his music! I will miss him, but I wish him all the best!

Sad news if true... :( I love his music, he's so talented... he'll be missed but we still have his music to enjoy!

I would need an official statement from Phil to believe this.

It's true, this is old news already. I saw an interview with Phil Collins a few months ago in which he also said he was going to retire soon and he listed the exact same reasons he does here.

Unfortunately it's hip to hate Phil...some seriously good songs though that i will continue to listen to.Thanks for the memories Phil!

I heard that too but I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't like Phil Collins? Why would anyone hate him? :mello: It's sad he feels this way about his own music and career. I certainly did enjoy some of his songs :)

I grew up w/phil's & Genesis' music. He's said one or two things thought out the years that have suggested that he doesn't realise how talented he is or was starting to feel like he didn't fit in in the 90s. I also remember when I used to listen to Kasey Kasum's show that critics were giving him a hard time b/c of the single Two Hearts making him look soft.

Anyway, I love his music. It makes sense that he would end now, if he does, since he's gone back to some of the music that made him want to do music in the first place, Motown.

Although I don't spend a huge amount of time listening to his stuff personally, I do know a few fans of him and this is really sad. Why can't he just keep on doing his own thing? There's much more to the music industry than the kind of thing that you see at the MTV Awards, surely.

In any case, surely, if you're an artist, you're an artist - you never truly 'retire'. Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing what he does in the future.

This is sad to hear. You will truly be missed in the music industry as a artist and an individual. I will continue to spread your legacy.
I give a round of applause to one of the greatest musicans of all time!

I think eventually Phil will realize there is still a fan base out there that loves his music, and he'll continue to release new material. Yes the business has changed and it's all about the hip hop, bubble gum, disney kids now...but there will always be a place for the old school superstars.

I love Phil's music and will miss the new music

Phil Collins is awesome! He has always been a huge influence on me musicly.

How can anyone not like the song Easy Lover? It's just one of those songs that's impossible to hate and if someone does hate it then they have no soul.

I also think that Phil Collins versions of True Colours and You Can't Hurry Love were better than the originals

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/people/news/category/0,,20168767,00.html
Phil Collins Is Not Retiring

By Joey Bartolomeo
<ABBR class=published title=2011-03-07T13:50:00Z>Monday March 07, 2011 01:50 PM EST</ABBR>

<!-- start toutImageHTML -->
phil-collins-440.jpg
Phil Collins
Luca Bruno/AP

<!-- end toutImageHTML --><!-- start articleShareHTML -->
<?xml:namespace prefix = fb /><fb:like class=" fb_edge_widget_with_comment fb_iframe_widget" href="http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20471616,00.html" width="240" show_faces="false" font="arial"></fb:like>
<!-- end articleShareHTML --><!-- start articleHTML -->For the former Genesis frontman and drummer, there will be no exodus.

Despite a recent interview with FHM in which music legend Phil Collins, 60, said "it feels like a good time to stop for a while," he is not retiring from music, PEOPLE has confirmed.

"He is not, has no intention of, retiring," says his U.K rep.

Collins, who last year underwent surgery to treat nerve damage in his left hand, told PEOPLE in November that he was in the middle of taking time off so he could recuperate. <!-- jump -->

"At the moment I can't feel the fingers on my left hand or the ends of my fingers so playing drums or piano is probably – I can't do that at the moment," he admitted.

Collins said he did not feel frustrated by his health problems and further noted, "I'm quite adjusted to the idea that I won't play like I did again." (He had to tape his drumsticks to his hands when he recorded his last album.)

For now, the father of five, who lives in Switzerland, is contentedly enjoying his break. "I'm spending a lot of time at home with my kids," he said last fall. "That's really what I want to do and take some real serious time off."

Reporting by JESSICA HERNDON and SIMON PERRY
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20471616,00.html

One of my favorite songs he did with Genesis.

And my favorite solo song of his....a song I intend on listening to upon my return home to my home state of Michigan. :)

For those who have read the article I just posted it's time to edit the title of this thread.

I'm who started this thread and i don't know how to edit the title. Never had to do it. Anyone help? :)

Think its great that Phil's confirmed he's not going.

That's strange, he did say on TV a few months ago that he was going to retire, IIRC :mello:

Most musicians have a thing called the music bug where they just can't bring themselves to retire because they love what they do to much.

Ok, this is the classical case of media spreading lies. This is the official statement of Mr. Phil Collins in his official page today.

He IS retiring, but for very different reasons. We should know about this. We just can't trust media!!!

BREAKING NEWS - A Message From Phil...

Greetings to all, I've decided to write this in response to the articles that surfaced last weekend regarding my retirement. Why they were printed at all is a mystery, as I haven't spoken to anybody in the press for a few months.

However, many of the articles printed over the last few months have ended up painting a picture of me that is more than a little distorted. Therefore, I would like to add my comments and try to explain again my reasons for calling it a day.

1/ I'm not stopping because of dodgy reviews or bad treatment in the press.

2/ I'm not stopping because I don't feel loved, I know I still have a very large fanbase that loves what I do. Thank you.

3/ I'm not stopping because I don't fit in, this was proved with "Going Back" reaching No 1 in the UK, and doing incredibly well worldwide.

4/ I'm not stopping so I can dive full time into my interest for the Alamo.

I am stopping so I can be a full time father to my two young sons on a daily basis.

Some of the things mentioned above have been said by me in various interviews, but said as asides with a smile on my face and in passing. They were not meant to be "headlines", they were small parts of a conversation. This clearly doesn't come over in print and I should know better.

However, the result is that I have ended up sounding like a tormented weirdo who thinks he was at the Alamo in another life, who feels very sorry for himself, and is retiring hurt because of the bad press over the years.

None of this is true.

Thanks for all your messages on the Forum regarding this stuff, it means a lot that you care.

But there's no need for the straitjacket !

PC x

Source: http://www.philcollins.com/news/breaking-news-message-phil

As you can see, again, media mixing bits of true with lots of lies and stupid ideas just to have their target look weird, crazy, unloved and undeserving of our attention, as an epic failure.

Doesn't this sound familiar to anyone of us, MJ fans? :smilerolleyes:

Love he is taking his most important job ever, being a father. That's great and speaks so much of him as a person.

But.... can anybody find THIS real information TODAY on the news? on the papers? No. Because simple clean true doesn't sell so well.

Media :doh:

Well good, glad he took time to clear everything up.

I think eventually once his kids are a bit older, he will eventually make a comeback.

Back