8.8 Earthquake struck Japan triggering a Tsunami Alert

raz2911

Proud Member
Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet:

Japanese media reported at least 1,000 people are presumed dead from Friday's massive 8.9 earthquake, most drowned by the wall of water that swept across the northeast coast of the island nation.

Thousands of others were stranded on rooftops, surrounded by water left by the tsunami that washed over the low-lying farmland of the hardest-hit areas, sweeping away homes, cars, railroads and businesses.

A dam broke early Saturday local time in Fukushima Prefecture, washing away scores more houses in an area where at least 1,800 homes were destroyed by the quake, Kyodo news service said, quoting a Defense Ministry official.

Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan appealed for calm in the wake of his nation's worst earthquake since authorities began keeping records 140 years ago. In a nationally televised address, he said an emergency response team had been deployed and international aid was en route.

President Obama announced that another U.S. aircraft carrier was en route to assist another warship already off the coast of Japan, and other U.S. naval vessels were poised to provide relief throughout the Pacific areas inundated or threatened by the tsunami that continued to roll across the ocean.

Japan has mobilized more than 8,000 troops and 300 aircraft to evacuate those stranded and move those displaced to areas where they can be sheltered and fed, Cabinet Minister Yukio Edano said.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the people affected in this tragedy :angel:, I know if MJ was here he would be so sad to hear about this, and would try and help as much as he could.

This is really sad :(. This is the worst earthquake in Japan's history

I just read that another quake, a 6 pointer hit the center of the country. Wow those poor people are getting shake, rattled and rolled today. God be with them! :(

I was mistaken. They're saying on CNN the 6 pointer was an AFTERSHOCK! Sorry to me, that ain't no after shock.

God be with those people!

Back