Question about pet snakes

Word Smith Sr

Proud Member
I was reading the thread entitled "MJ, the Snake, the Mouse..., and the lesson in Drama" and i was wondering what it was like to own a snake. I mean, what kind of interaction is there between the snake and its owner ? I guess not the same as the one between a dog and its owner. I won't ever own a snake as they scare me and most of the time when i see one on tv i just change the channel; but still i'm wondering. Please guys do not derail this thread by talking about Mike watching a snake eating a mouse or stuff like that. I created this thread not to derail the aforementioned one. Thanks in advance. :)

So, did you see Michael watching a snake....wait a minute...my bad.

Interaction between snakes and their owners I'd imagine is just like any other pet, except you'd have to be a bit more wary of them and make sure they're secure in whatever you store them in e.g. preferrably a metal cage with plenty to eat.

I'd love to own a snake - one of the really big ones.

So, did you see Michael watching a snake....wait a minute...my bad.

Interaction between snakes and their owners I'd imagine is just like any other pet, except you'd have to be a bit more wary of them and make sure they're secure in whatever you store them in e.g. preferrably a metal cage with plenty to eat.

I'd love to own a snake - one of the really big ones.

You'd really want a snake Drew ? Lol, you're brave, i'd be too scared. For example lol, what if you go to sleep without closing its cage when he's really hungry. You might wake up with a brand new scarf on. Make sure you really want it if you really buy one though. I heard of stories of snakes roam in the city after escaping or whatever.

I dunno if the following story is true but i find it interesting, i found it on the reptilerooms.com forum:

Actually I just remembered a story from my mom who used to be a vet at the Bronx and a few other zoos. This herpetologist who worked with my mom on a project kept a free roaming 15ft retic (yes bad idea we all know). On New Years Eve he came home with quite a few drinks in him and tripped over a rug in the foyer and hit his head. He woke up to find Betsy (the retic) constricting him. She hadnt done much as he could still breath but he couldnt get her off him. Just as he is about to pass out she gets her head inches from his nose and for some reaon let go of him. He swears she recognized him once she got that close. The great irony is last I heard she was still free roaming the house.
http://www.reptilerooms.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t17330.html

Last edited:
Lionel Richie talked about how michael and he spent time in Michaels room and worked on a song-we are the world.
Richie sat on the floor trying to find out some lyrics or notes when he saw a snake.

Michael, there is a snake there!!!!
Michael answered good, then I know where it is.

I can understand why Michael wrote most of the song.

^^^^ Hahaha oh my god, thx Mist. "good, then I know where it is" lol. Mike's funny. I would have looked the way i look in my avatar if i had found a snake the way Lionel did.

Drew will be frowning reading your post given his "I'd spend 20 minutes making sure the cage was closed and it would have its own seperate room. No way would it be in the room with me."

Mike's scared of lil dogs but let a snake loose ? lol

I think Frank Dileo tried to kill Muscles or another snake of Mike's on tour. I would have done the same, better be safe than sorry.

^^^Hi there, thx for answering. :)

Do you have a pic of your snake please ? :)

How long is he ? What do you keep it in now ? Btw, how would you get him back in his cage if he gets out of it ? What kind of relationship do you have with him ? (how do you interact with him etc..) Can he recognize you ? Do you have other pets ? If yes, would you ever leave him around them ?

You said "he's extremely friendly and has only ever bitten one person which is my stupid brother in law but he deserved it".

Can i ask you what your brother in law did to deserve it, to trigger such a reaction ?

^^^Hi there, thx for answering. :)

Do you have a pic of your snake please ? :)

How long is he ? What do you keep it in now ? Btw, how would you get him back in his cage if he gets out of it ? What kind of relationship do you have with him ? (how do you interact with him etc..) Can he recognize you ? Do you have other pets ? If yes, would you ever leave him around them ?

You said "he's extremely friendly and has only ever bitten one person which is my stupid brother in law but he deserved it".

Can i ask you what your brother in law did to deserve it, to trigger such a reaction?

I have a picture which I will post after I finish answering your question unfortunately he wouldn't stay out straight and kept curling around so its a little hard to show you how long he is but he's about 2 metres the last time I checked.

I have a 6 foot fish tank that is secure with lock which is set up with a heat lamp, rocks, sticks, water container, leaves and gravel. If by any chance that he did get out of his cage it wouldn't be any trouble to get him back simply because his handled everyday.

So all I would have to do is gently go to pick him up and he will start to wrap himself around me till he's body is fully around my arm then I just put me arm into his tank and he'll unwrap himself back into his cage.

LG comes everywhere with me minus to places where there is alot of people, just incase he gets frightened by the noise or the amount of people and strikes out, but in general he comes to my boyfriends place, my sisters, my parents so I take him everywhere pretty much, I've even taken him on drives with me ect ect.

Usually when I go to get him out of his cage he's usually waiting on his heat lamp for me, so I just unlock his cage open the door and as I've mentioned to you before he just moves up my arm and wraps himself around my arm till he's fully on me.

Because I've had him since he was 6 weeks old and have put in the effort to handling him and showing him that he can trust me, I'm able to do all sorts of things, I can put his rat in his cage and hold onto it and he won't go to eat it till my hand is out of the cage, if I've got to grab him suddenly he won't strike out, I have him wrapped around my neck and I don't have to worry about him choking me.

:yes: he does know who I am, as like I said he knows when its free cage time and as soon as I'm in my room and I open the door he comes out of his rocks and starts to climb up onto my arm straight away if he's not already waiting on his heat lamp.

:yes: I do have other animals, I have 4 Dogs, (ChiChi, Soukie, Sarayah, Seralda), 4 Birds (Max, Sierra, Midget, Dexter), 2 Cats (Kitty, Comet), 2 Guinea Pigs (Milly, Molly) 2 Mice (TJ, DJ), 2 Goldfish (Orange, Vodka) and last but not least my Discus Fish (Tiger). but :no: I wouldn't trust him around them simply because his nautral instincts would most likely cut in and he'd probably strike at them.

:yes: that's right he's extremely friendly, all my sisters kids love him and the youngest is only 3 years of age, but of course I don't let the youngest hold him as we live in the country and we're know well for snakes around out area so I don't want to confuse him and have him think that all snakes are like LG.

:yes: He bit my stupid brother in law, but like I said it was his own entire fault... this particular day LG was due for a feed and I said to everyone that was here not to go and handle LG cause he's due for a feed and he's may bite, so my stupid brother didn't listen and got him out while I was getting him a feed from the pet shop and of course he had been patting one of the dogs and LG could sense it, after you handle any other animal you MUST ALWAYS wash your hands to stop the snake from attacking.

LG started his S form which is how you know a snake is going to attack and Robert (my brother) freaked out and the next minute LG latched onto him and bit him. So once again it wasn't LG's fault simply because I had given everyone instructions to stay away from him and not to handle him.

Anyway here is the picture that you asked for, later on when I get him out if he's going to make it easy for me I'll try and get one with his whole length but like I said he was about 2 metres the last time I measured him :)

9qh577.jpg

I hope this information has helped you in some way.

Last edited:
There are a bunch of snakes that stop eating and start elongating themselves to the appropriate size so that they can eat their owners or new babies in the house. I advise you to not get a snake as a pet.

There are a bunch of snakes that stop eating and start elongating themselves to the appropriate size so that they can eat their owners or new babies in the house. I advise you to not get a snake as a pet.

:hysterical: I knew someone was going to point this out as it has been known to happen, but then again doesn't mean it will happen.

My nephew's father used to breed snakes (not sure what kind though) and he has never had this type of encounter before. HOWEVER I'm not saying to rule it out completely, I just haven't met any snake owner that I know to have this problem as of yet :).

Hey, thx for answering Bubbles and smoothcriminal !!! :)

@ Bubbles: Wow 2 meters ? That's big, plus giving the picture i'd be scared to death if i had it around me. Will it continue to grow ?

For some reason i find albinos snake less scary, they look less dangerous as they're nicer maybe. I'm referring to snakes that look like mj's yellow snake and the one that Britney Spears brought on stage during an MTV awards performance.

I was going to ask you if what smoothcriminal said was true but given your reaction i guess it is. Thx for mentionning this fact smoothcriminal. :)

Are snakes that freakin um smart and evilish ? Maybe i should not say evilish, it's their instinc, but still i'm amazed. What smoothcriminal said makes me think of the following video which i discovered this morning thx to a friend of mine. I'll ask you this in advance:

Can you freakin believe this ? Is this real ? Or like a tv show ? I wanna punch the parents, their attitude (crocodile tears, etc..) makes me think. Hypocrites trying not to go to jail.

[youtube]he6O9nZ3CZs&NR[/youtube]

Given the following video, there are other "parents" that are reckless to say the least:

[youtube]zZwTFWyI4Ho[/youtube]

Last edited:

@ Bubbles: Wow 2 meters ? That's big, plus giving the picture i'd be scared to death if i had it around me. Will it continue to grow ?

For some reason i find albinos snake less scary, they look less dangerous as they're nicer maybe. I'm referring to snakes that look like mj's yellow snake and the one that Britney Spears brought on stage during an MTV awards performance.

I was going to ask you if what smoothcriminal said was true but given your reaction i guess it is. Thx for mentionning this fact smoothcriminal. :)

Are snakes that freakin um smart and evilish ? Maybe i should not say evilish, it's their instinc, but still i'm amazed. What smoothcriminal said makes me think of the following video which i discovered this morning thx to a friend of mine. I'll ask you this in advance:

Can you freakin believe this ? Is this real ? Or like a tv show ? I wanna punch the parents, their attitude (crocodile tears, etc..) makes me think. Hypocrites trying not to go to jail.

No worries, glad that I can be of assistance. He's about that (2 metres) and Carpet Python's can grow at big as 20 metres in the wild though of course, but because LG is kept in capativity I doubt if he will end up growning that big, but may grow a little more I have him well secured as I've mentioned before so it is very unlikely that he'll be able to escape without me knowing.

To be completely honest with you I used to be completely terrified of snakes, doesn't matter what sort they were or how big they were, I was just horrifed by them, it was then my nephew who also has a the same type of snake as LG showed me different and that snakes aren't the monsters that alot of people make them out to be, 9 times out of 10 they attack because they are frightened or feel threatened.

I mean try and see it from their point of view, how are they to know that you are harmless to them, from where they are looking from all they see is this huge monster coming near them or at and because they can't get away quick enough or tell you to leave them alone the only way they can tell you to back off is to attack, I'm not saying everyone should have a snake as a pet or are they the perfect pet for everyone either but I do believe that they are very misunderstood creatures by some of the stories that have been told.

Personally I don't know anyone who has had that sort of an encounter with a snake, but I have heard of it happening, like I mentioned before my nephew's father used to breed snakes and never had anything like that happen to him before but I'm not saying that it won't happen either.

But then again how is it any different then you going lets say grocery shopping and on the off chance you get hit by a car, it really isn't any different except you'd probably have more chance of preventing getting eaten by the snake then you have saving yourself from the car. Its simple really if your snake is showing behaviour that you find extremely unnatural for the animal take it to the vet, the same you would if your cat or dog were acting different.

I wouldn't say that they are intellegent creatures, but they are just like humans in a way for example the 1st time you become a parent do you know everything there is to know, no you don't you learn on the way about all different types of things, but your basic instincts that you never knew you have take over and doesn't matter how experienced you are you know how to take care of the child, to feed it, to bathe it, to seek medical attention when its not well ect ect its the same as a snake or any animal for that matter it doesn't need to be taught cause it has natural instincts.

Now about the video you posted although I may sound like a heartless bitch about it, it is really the parents fault, I mean who in their right mind would leave their child with a 3 tonne python, it doesn't matter how long you've had an animal they can always turn on you in blink of an eye. I do feel sorry for the parents and like I said I may sound like a bitch about the incident but anyone who has a brain would know in their right mind to never leave a child with a pet snake unsupervised regardless how old they are. Snakes aren't like dogs or cats and they need to be monitored constantly so then that way no harm comes to the pet or other people.

HOWEVER I'm going to say this so people don't think that I'm just saying you should have a snake.... If you feel that you wouldn't be able to put in the time that is needed to take care of a snake then DON'T GET ONE or again if you are a family person that is eventually going to look at settling down and having children in the future, then you should really have a really hard think about whether having a snake is right for you as a family pet and if you've decided to have one, what sort are you going to get, where are you going to have its cage, is it going to be secure where you put it so you don't have to be checking every 5 minutes ect ect, its not just as easy as getting a licence, buying a tank and throwing the snake in it, just like any other animal it needs love and attention :)

Last edited:

[youtube]he6O9nZ3CZs&NR[/youtube]

Given the following video, there are other "parents" that are reckless to say the least:

[youtube]zZwTFWyI4Ho[/youtube]

..I won't watch them, from your description, they're full of emotional impact...

Snakes are totally unpredictable lives, and the way they are crawling and are so quiet and them sticking their forked tongue to breathe looks just disgusting and dangerous to me. I just wish I could understand snakes, I would love to, but I can't, I don't find anything about them to be endearing or beautiful, they're cold-blooded reptiles, and I'm one to be fond of some others reptiles, except Komodo dragons (another horror of nature to me)... So yeah...

..I won't watch them, from your description, they're full of emotional impact...

Snakes are totally unpredictable lives, and the way they are crawling and are so quiet and them sticking their forked tongue to breathe looks just disgusting and dangerous to me. I just wish I could understand snakes, I would love to, but I can't, I don't find anything about them to be endearing or beautiful, they're cold-blooded reptiles, and I'm one to be fond of some others reptiles, except Komodo dragons (another horror of nature to me)... So yeah...

:huggy: its okay everyone is different, you don't like snakes and I completely understand that, just as I'm completely terrified of toads and bloody spiders. I have been known to have my parents come running literally because of my screaming from spiders or toads.

So there is no need to wish to understand snakes, everyone is different I've just been shown a different side of them to what you see which is probably why I come across as I do. :)

:huggy: its okay everyone is different, you don't like snakes and I completely understand that, just as I'm completely terrified of toads and bloody spiders. I have been known to have my parents come running literally because of my screaming from spiders or toads.

So there is no need to wish to understand snakes, everyone is different I've just been shown a different side of them to what you see which is probably why I come across as I do. :)

That's sweet of you to say all this..^ I don't like spiders and bugs either... and am terrified with mice and rats if I see some in some forgotten shack or even resided home.. ...

I mean I would pet snakes if someone reliable would be holding them making sure they don't bite me.. but nothing more than that. ..^

Back