Children still play the old schoolyard favorites

billyworld99

Proud Member
Rohingya children from Myanmar play in a refugee camp in Cox's Bazaar August 17, 2009.

Credit: Reuters/Andrew Biraj
By Michelle Martin

LONDON | Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:16pm EDT

LONDON (Reuters Life!) - Children still enjoy playing traditional games like skipping and clapping in the playground despite the lure of mobile phones, computer games, and television, a study published on Tuesday found.

Playground games are "alive and well ... they happily co-exist with media-based play, the two informing each other," it said.

Contrary to popular beliefs, schoolyard games are "not overwhelmed, marginalized or threatened by the quantity and plurality of available media," researchers found.

Their study showed that children still spend their school breaktimes singing the songs that have been circulating for decades, although they sometimes update them by inserting references to the latest pop stars and soap characters.

Dancing also remains a favorite playground pastime, but children now like to base their routines on acts like Michael Jackson or Disney's hit film "High School Musical," they said.

Other classic activities still drawing in the crowds at playtime include tig, skipping, clapping, rhymes and make-believe games, while the hula-hoop is making a come-back.

"Media is an undeniably important aspect of children's lives, but part of a wider repertoire of playground culture that also includes older games, songs and rhymes," researchers said.

The study found that while children do make use of the multitude of media resources surrounding them, they "creatively manipulate them to their own ends" and that new media enriches children's folklore by providing topical themes for them to include in their make-believe games.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/15/us-britain-children-idUSTRE72E4W420110315
While children incorporate characters from reality television shows and the pop music scene into their play, they apply their imagination by changing, recombining and subverting what they had garner from the media rather than simply copying it.

"Some people play 'Dr Who' by choosing characters from the show and then improvising," said one child interviewed for the study, describing his favorite game based on the popular British science fiction television series.

Andrew Burn, who led the project, said pretend play was still flourishing.

"Children have always enjoyed enacting scenarios from their home or school lives, as well as fantasy stories," he said.

Researchers said computer games inspired many playground games but added that children do not merely imitate the action on their screens -- they adapt generic elements like stealth moves and weapons.

They had seen children using tree stumps as magic consoles and waving pretend game weapons like light sabres, which showed that "though computer games are sometimes blamed for a perceived decline in children's outdoor play ... imaginative games in the playground can build on them."

The findings showed that computer games provide children with rules for their breaktime activities, while films and television shows supply narrative and character elements which the children could adapt.

The problem is in a lot of British schools is that these days they go overboard on health and safety which I find leads to suppression.

There was an article a few years ago that listed things that are now banned from schools. Two in particular saddened me.

1. Climbing trees - I used to LOVE climbing trees when I was little, I could climb higher than all the "really big boys" and swing around like a monkey (I was a gymnast from an early age). I understand that yes, if a child falls and hurts themselves the school could get in trouble etc etc, but really is this teaching kids anything? It's like suppressing their natural danger awareness instinct in my opinion.

2. Daisy chains - Yep seriously kids are banned from making daisy chains. I am not sure whether this is in case there is fertilizer on them and they somehow get it into their mouths and get ill or just a very OTT "No Germs" thing. But I think it's ridiculous in all honesty.

Why not go back to simpler/carefree times? I wonder if such ridiculous things are "banned" in poorer countries?

Back