I think i've figured out why music today is somewhat boring

Nirvana

Proud Member
2301 Jackson street , i know your jealous
Singers and bands today have no personality or charisma nor are they intresting lets take a look through time

Elvis - A good looking man who loved his mum and had ridiculous charisma even if he just stod there and sang there's something amazing about him

Michael - Obviously gotta have him, The moonwalker who pulled off impossible dance moves, shocked the world and created amazing videos and music

Guns N Roses - Pure agressive attitude and "the worlds most dangerous band, Slash just killling the guitar and axl just going crazy running all over the stage in nothing but spandex shorts

Ozzy osbourne - Total legend who can't speak propperly hahaha kidding, He ate the heads of bats, snorted ants and done all kind of crazy stuff

Marilyn Manson - A scary looking goth who made killer music and ripped up bibles (hate it or love it, he's intresting)

50 Cent - Got shot 9 times came back and made 500 million in about 8 years, Ambitious gangsta!!!

Snoop dogg - His look and name just go together some how, Funny pot head who has tons of natual charm and has a way with words

Tupac - Just told it like it is and stayed true to his roots

Now what have we got, Rihanna, Chris brown, B.O.B.....Yawn, I dont know any singers or bands that have charisma they're so boring, they music's good but there's alot missing

There are so many singers and bands out there today who not only have charisma but immense amount of talent. However, none of them are mainstream, and for a reason. It is obvious that the big labels are not actually looking for talent, but for commercial pursuits. Nobody in the mainstream music industry today is even remotely unique--and the few who do have some measurable talent (none of them are amazing, but a few can actually sing, dance, etc.) had to sell out their music to become what they are today (Ke$ha and Gaga come to mind.) Why? Because it's not about music, nor depth, nor personality--but about autotuned singles and what goes well at the club.

The music today is boring because it has no soul. It's cookie-cutter, computerized, auto-tuned to death mediocre crap.

I have one question about today's mainstream music

Where is the f-ing melody?!

I totally agree with you guys. Especially since most of the music I prefer listening to now besides my beloved Michael and Blackmore's Night is Indian or Bollywood music. Mainly because I can no longer tolerate even stand today's singers anymore. The singers of today I just find so very irritating and annoying. I still can't believe how I had once listen to their music and like it. Though I will admit that there is only 1 song of today that I like and that is Lady Gaga's song Poker Face. But other than that I won't listen to today's music at all.

The music today is boring because it has no soul. It's cookie-cutter, computerized, auto-tuned to death mediocre crap.

This. Artists just don't put emotion into their music anymore.. they're only in it for the fame and money.

I can count my favourite artists on 1 hand :no:

It is true:yes: but everything got to move on:yes:

The problem, however, is that it isn't moving on. It is doing the exact opposite, in fact. It is becoming degenerate, wanton, lazy, and commercial. In essence, today's mainstream industry is destroying the very meaning of music by making it a whore to its capitalistic tendencies and greed. In regards to mainstream "music," the majority of it doesn't even feature actual singing anymore, much less any identifiable instrument. To add insult to injury, we're not even granted the privilege of having meaningful, or at the very least halfway coherent, lyrics anymore. Instead, we are handed some half-baked bullsh-t and told it's "metaphorical," as if anyone in their right mind would dare entertain such a feeble argument. As a great lover of literature and poetry, I know what a strong metaphorical piece reads like--and that is not it! Anyone with even basic observational skills and limited knowledge can see that the lyrics in the majority of mainstream songs which claim to be "metaphorical" are really just feeble, lazy things penned by an uninterested hand. They're weak. They hold neither meaning nor artistry, therefore they are invalid.

Moreover, the natural course of things would be to expect a change, an evolution of sorts, in the way music is presented. An evolution, by its very meaning, is a change for the better, or at the very least for a distinct direction of equal value. An example of this would be the change from classical music to romantic music--the entire concept of what a piece should express changed, however, a great amount of skill is still required to perform both styles of music.

With today's mainstream music, no such thing exists. The only absolutely necessary thing seems to be autotune. With the rise of computer technology, something which was meant as a supplement to the human singing voice has instead overshadowed it to such an extent that it is no longer recognizable. Thus, there is no beauty in what we hear, but rather cold, generic, absolutely artificial sounds. It's plastic. Commercial. Lifeless. Vulgar. Plain.

The worst thing is that the people responsible for this massacre of artistry are, instead of being held responsible for a great crime against human culture, rewarded with millions of dollars for their atrocities, while truly talented and unique artists elsewhere struggle to find companies who will sign them because they don't "fit in" to what the fad among ignorant teens and young adults currently is. For shame!

Singers and bands today have no personality or charisma nor are they intresting lets take a look through time

Elvis - A good looking man who loved his mum and had ridiculous charisma even if he just stod there and sang there's something amazing about him

Michael - Obviously gotta have him, The moonwalker who pulled off impossible dance moves, shocked the world and created amazing videos and music

Guns N Roses - Pure agressive attitude and "the worlds most dangerous band, Slash just killling the guitar and axl just going crazy running all over the stage in nothing but spandex shorts

Ozzy osbourne - Total legend who can't speak propperly hahaha kidding, He ate the heads of bats, snorted ants and done all kind of crazy stuff

Marilyn Manson - A scary looking goth who made killer music and ripped up bibles (hate it or love it, he's intresting)

50 Cent - Got shot 9 times came back and made 500 million in about 8 years, Ambitious gangsta!!!

Snoop dogg - His look and name just go together some how, Funny pot head who has tons of natual charm and has a way with words

Tupac - Just told it like it is and stayed true to his roots

Now what have we got, Rihanna, Chris brown, B.O.B.....Yawn, I dont know any singers or bands that have charisma they're so boring, they music's good but there's alot missing

Forgot Madonna

^She was the first to really take off with the whole sexualized music thing, though, as far as female artists are concerned. Therefore, she is important. It may not seem as relevant now, but she is definitely one of the top feminist icons--especially one of the pioneers, in a time when female sexuality was still more-or-less repressed.

That's what makes her unique--is that she was the first to really do it. Then, came Britney, etc. who isn't anywhere nearly as relevant, and now that it's 2011 and the likes of Gaga and Rihanna are running around, it's no longer even interesting anymore, much less relevant. It seems a bit of a dead horse.

The usual line of 'Lack of interesting music' is kinda irrelevant if you look past what's 'hot' at the moment. There are so many bands and singers and songwriters out there doing awesome music but because they don't fit into the mass mould (A Good Thing) they don't get a look-in.

Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa, Led Zeppelin, Jim Morrison, Queen, Pink Floyd, Jim Steinman, Cream, The Yardbirds, The Beatles, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Aerosmith, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bob Dylan, BB King, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, Mike Oldfield, AC/DC...all examples of how various styles developed over the years and even concepts in music from the guillotine to overly-long songs to horn sections in pop music.

Sadly some have long-passed but their influence on music from the 50s up to even now is totally relevant. The difference between those (some eventually became mainstream) and the mainstream 'rock' now is that they had passion in their sound.

Last edited:
Thus, there is no beauty in what we hear, but rather cold, generic, absolutely artificial sounds. It's plastic. Commercial. Lifeless. Vulgar. Plain

And that sums it up for me. "Music" today has become a mirror of our society. It embraces crudeness and violence and it objectifies women. Of course as long as people buy the crap, crap will continue to be produced. So who should be blamed? The artist who wants to make money, the producers, ditto? If these works of musical art didn't sell, would the record labels keep them on? Or would they look for something new?
Just like so much in today's society, it is all about meeting the lowest standard. Satisfying the appetites of the masses.
What is there to recommend the music of today? The melody? The lyrics? The vocals? The music videos?
Nah, didn't think so.

Music is no longer an art form...............

It has now become a commercial product............plastic, disposable (you quickly get bored of new songs after only a couple of listens) and bland.........

There is also no more innovation...........we just get the boring electro-gaga stuff......

There is now nobody in the business that makes you go WOW after listening to a song or seeing a performance..........

Don't get me wrong........there is always talent available...........but the talented ones will never get the attention they deserve...............

Were you not the one who made the thread saying how British music is as good as it's ever been? :mello:

Sad thing is that as long as people are buying this type of music then we'll be seeing it for a very long time. When people buy it all it's telling the record companies is ''Yes people want more music like this''

Nah i love todays music and think it's amazing, but there's something missing, The action and personality there's no iconic moments now a days. I dont find any current artists intresting like i do elvis and MJ.

Back