View Poll Results: Is Billie Jean really the best MJ song?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 27.42%
  • No

79 63.71%
  • Don't Know

11 8.87%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is Billie Jean really the best MJ song?

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Is Billie Jean really the best MJ song?

it's one of them - along with 'startin' somethin', 'beat it', 'thriller', and 'human nature' imo

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 417
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 977 Posts

No. Michael had a lot great songs then just billie jean. i think people like billie jean is the fact that when Michael did his famous moonwalk.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Level
    Thanks

Here's my take on a question such as this one: Every single person has a "best Michael Jackson song." And I can guarantee you that 80-90% will be different answers, but that's good because Michael was so diverse with what kind of lyrics he wrote and what kind of genre he went with for every single song. He knew how to speak to various audiences through his varying songs. That's why some people do think Billie Jean is the best, and then why others strongly disagree. I personally don't have a "best song" because I'm someone who listens to all sorts of music genres and can listen to any of Michael's songs and be satisfied. Now if you ask me my favorite album? Bad, for sure. But that's a different story. XD

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay-Girl For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kay-Girl View Post
    Here's my take on a question such as this one: Every single person has a "best Michael Jackson song." And I can guarantee you that 80-90% will be different answers, but that's good because Michael was so diverse with what kind of lyrics he wrote and what kind of genre he went with for every single song. He knew how to speak to various audiences through his varying songs. That's why some people do think Billie Jean is the best, and then why others strongly disagree. I personally don't have a "best song" because I'm someone who listens to all sorts of music genres and can listen to any of Michael's songs and be satisfied. Now if you ask me my favorite album? Bad, for sure. But that's a different story. XD
    I totally agree with you. I think the same thing and yeah I also have a soft spot for Bad

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

It's clear that people will give different songs as his best but when asking yourself what is his best, you need to be objective and have determined criteria that you think make a song the best. It shouldn't be a personal opinion based on your favorites but it should be a personal opinion based on those objective criteria. People are saying BJ is not the best because it's not even their favorite. Should we hear the adjective favorite here when we are talking about "the best" ?

The thing with MJ is, all the songs are so great that it's hard to tell. Though we can all agree that Billie Jean is better than let's say 2000 Watts. I'm sure everyone will give the same answer here. Why ?

So we just need to do the same between Billie Jean and those close to its level. It's not because something is maintream (and mostly known by the non fans) that it suddenly is less impressive or less incredible, you have to analyse the song for what it is. My all time favorite song is Smooth Criminal, the most iconic to me is Thriller though, objectively speaking I don't think they are above Billie Jean (especially Thriller). I think we'll find songs that are close to it but :

To me Billie Jean is his best.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Level
    Thanks

The song is awesome, and in my top 5, but there is e.g. "Smooth Criminal" or "Leave me alone" and I don't know if I can rate any of them as a 1 place alone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to biene.michaelj For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,371 Times in 1,168 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by biene.michaelj View Post
    The song is awesome, and in my top 5, but there is e.g. "Smooth Criminal" or "Leave me alone" and I don't know if I can rate any of them as a 1 place alone.
    It's in my Top 5, too, but I think Man in the Mirror is his best, with "Is It Scary" as a close second. As another member pointed out, it's very subjective, though......everyone has their own opinion. In terms of performance, it's Billie jean at #1 and Smooth Criminal at #2 for me and that's because of a) the moonwalk and b) the lean. IMO.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post: