Votes: 35 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 80 63.0%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 12 9.4%

• Total voters

Hazard

Proud Member
Many people think that Billie Jean is the best song MJ ever recorded. I wanna know what you guys think.

No, it isn't. It is in my top 5, but not the best.

No MJ song is the "best", everyone has different tastes. :D.

Well, idd its a classic :angel: but I did vote NO though as I don't list it as THE BEST in 'song' category but LIVE is the MAX :clapping:

One of his best songs. In any case a Top 10 or even Top 5 song of his, but my personal favourite is Who is it. Some say it's like Billie Jean part 2 and I know what they mean, but I think it's even richer musically and deeper lyrically than Billie Jean.

One of his best songs. In any case a Top 10 or even Top 5 song of his, but my personal favourite is Who is it. Some say it's like Billie Jean part 2 and I know what they mean, but I think it's even richer musically and deeper lyrically than Billie Jean.

I think BJ is def one of his best, but he has so many good ones. Who Is IT is a great one, I love it too, can't believe is is so underrated.

I remember when it was released ppl would say it had similarities to BJ. What are the similarities? I really never was able to figure it out. Thanks

As many have said before, I believe it's a classic, and one of his best performances ever. But he has written others that I like better. Like Tricia70 said, WII is amazing.

It's a masterpiece for sure! But I would say its in the top 10 of its best songs

Billie Jean was the best song recorded in that era of changing music and sound, however, Michael went on to record even better, IMHO.

I guess it depends on how you define "best". In my personal opinion, it's not the best, because it's not my favorite. I also think there are songs that are better strictly musically speaking. There are definitely better ones regarding the lyrics.
But if you define "best" in terms of successful, than it could very well be MJ's best song.

I think it's up there as one of the "greatest" as the performance from Motown 25 is always the one that people quote as launching Michael in to space...

And have you noticed that if you request MJ in a club, it's usually Billie Jean that comes!

I'm on the fence a little bit here. It's not my favourite but I still love it, and it is the song everyone associates with MJ and it is his most popular outside of the fan community and a true classic. So it depends on what people would consider as "best" but ultimately I guess that in some ways it probably would be considered his best song.

No. Michael was just beginning his career back then, he made so many amazing songs after that. Too bad people just tend to forget it...

I voted no. Even though Billie Jean will always be my alltime favorite. I think his best songs are the songs with more meaning to them. Earth Song, TDCAU, man in the mirror. But there's no way I could name his best song. Tehre are to many.

Its definately one of his best songs (there are many ;) ) but its by far not THE best !
Performance is top, but there are many other songs with better melody and especially with better lyrics.

No. Michael was just beginning his career back then, he made so many amazing songs after that. Too bad people just tend to forget it...

He very certainly was not just beginning his career in 1982... He'd been an entertainer since, what, 1964 or something? By the standards of pretty much anyone his age, he was a showbusiness veteran. Just because his post-Thriller career is so often ignored doesn't mean that his pre-Thriller one should be instead. Thriller must've been, like, his 18th studio album or something, either in a group or on his own, lol.

Anyway, the poll question... I don't know whether I really believe in objective best as opposed to mere personal favourites, and BJ isn't one of my top, top personal favourites. So if we're insisting on any 'objective' assessment, I don't know. :p If we're talking personal favourites, nah, Baby Be Mine's better, ha.

one of my top three. bj, earth song and speechless for most beautifully written/genius. so i voted yes because after that it just comes down to personal taste.

I think it's one of his most popular songs for non-fans, but it is not the best. Earth Song and even Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' are better (my opinion of course).

No. I would say Who Is It and/or Stranger In Moscow are his best in the terms of melodies and lyrics.

Nope, one of the best songs he had written, but not THE best. Michael had really only just started writing songs, when you get to HIStory, the lyrically side becomes amazing.

Billie Jean is in my opinion not only the best MJ song. It's the greatest song ever created! :D

I certainly don't see it that way. It just became a really iconic song which after being performed at Motown25 and winning Michael a few awards snowballed for decades, being really overplayed and thus becoming really overrated. It's certainly not his best song.

Maybe one of his better songs, though in my opinion there's not much to the song other than the dancing, though that might just be my brain talking after hearing it a trillion times as if it's the only song MJ ever wrote, and as if his entire catalogue is made up of Billie Jean, Beat It and Thriller only.

It also depends on how you would define 'best MJ song'. Is it the most well written and complex song he wrote? I wouldn't say so. Is it his most influential song? Probably.

It's certainly a very influential, fun and classic song but it's certainly not the most well written, complex, meaningful and effort taking song he ever wrote. That's how I would define 'best' in this context.

Try Little Susie, Earth Song, They Don't Care About Us, Speechless or Stranger In Moscow... One of them could easily win the 'best MJ song' title. My money's on Little Susie btw!

Back