Rihanna, Justin Bieber, and Kanye West Accused of Stealing Songwriting Credits

billyworld99

Proud Member
In a recent interview, some of your favorite "singer-songwriters" were slammed with allegations of not writing many of the hit songs they are famous for. Reportedly, Rihanna, Justin Bieber, and Kanye West have been accepting publishing credits with full knowledge that the songs were not written by them.

At the helm of this fraud allegation is songwriter to the stars, Heather Bright. Bright leaked names along with her frustrations in a recent interview with Free-Wired.

"Rihanna takes publishing, Justin Bieber takes publishing, Kanye West takes publishing," Bright vented. "On all the stuff that they don't write, they take publishing."

When asked about teen-heartthrob, Justin Bieber, in which she has songwriting credit on his single “Somebody to Love,” Bright expressed, "Umm...How did he get a writing credit on it? That's an interesting question." She laughs then added, "I don't know."

So why don't these so-called songwriters write their own songs? Bright has the answer.

"You can't be Rihanna and be producing and writing records. You just can't be doing that. You just won't have time. All the appearances, the performances, and the 'this,' and the 'that,' you gotta show up to record, you gotta promote the album, go on tour."

Bright assured Free-Wired that not all artists commit songwriting fraud as she gushes over the free-spirited Lady Gaga. Bright's awe couldn't be contained as she said, "It's amazing that they can find time to write! They have to write on tour, all of those artists who actually write!"

The noted songwriter took to her blog to give other artists like Britney Spears praise as well. According to Bright, the pop icon didn't try to "take something that wasn't hers." Bright is speaking of the tracks 'Femme Fatale' and 'Trouble for Me' that she co-wrote. She finished in saying about Spears' crew, "In my experience, from a business standpoint, her entire team is nothing less than a bonafide class act!"

How do you feel about Bright's recent revelation about Rihanna, Justin Bieber, and Kanye? What would possess these decorated artists to take credit for songs they didn't write?

http://www.singersroom.com/news/697...iting-Credits---The-Real-Songwriter-Speaks-Up

Predictable. Moreover, Gaga may write her own songs, but they're crap. It doesn't take much time or even the slightest bit of genius to come up with "let's have some fun, this beat is sick, I wanna take a ride on your disco stick." Then again, you could say the same about my beautiful Ke$ha, who also writes crappy songs, but at least she admits it and doesn't hide behind pseudo-symbolism. On the other hand, at least they don't steal people's credit, so I guess you ought to give credit when credit is due (no pun intended LOL!) [go ahead, shoot me, that was awful.]

I think it's a given that if your album took a year to come out, not much thought went into it. That's what separates the mainstream "singles" and one album per year or two musicians from the true artists who take years to release an album full of actual meaningful/beautiful/honest material.

People giving themselves a songwriting credit for something they didn't contribute anything to really pisses me off. Why can't these people give credit where credit is due? It's not just artists who do this. Alot of today's producers give themselves writing credits without actually contributing anything.

If i was an artist and someone wrote a song for me i wouldn't dream of giving myself a writing credit. I'd give all the credit to the songwriter and be thankfull that he/she wrote it for me

So she is accusing Rihanna and Kanye for not writing some of their stuff but then she goes on saying that this is something that the mighty Gaga,who everybody seems to adore, doesn't do. First of all how she knows that? And secondly, if someone read the credits on Rihanna's and Kanye's songs ,they will see that besides them, there is a whole team of people contributing to their songs. I don't think that they take credits for things that they didn't write and they do give credits to people who write with them. And by the way Lady Gaga doesn't write her songs by herself. She also has a team of people writing with her. At least in her two previous albums. And i think someone should mention to this lady that Gaga plagiarised Madonna's song not to long ago. Talking about taking something and not giving credits.So give me a break.I hate it that everybody in the media are kissing Laga's @ss.

songwriters have never gotten nearly enough credit for what they do. i mean, they CREATE the music. in today's world with today's technology, and retard can go in a studio and sing and make it sound good.

It's not surprising at all. I'm surprised Beyonce's name wasn't mentioned. Brit is so down to earth and doesn't care about that stuff, so it's no wonder she's never tried to claim herself a song writer (though she has written a few herself).

I don't understand why they would want to take credit when they haven't done anything.. I wouldn't feel right myself, claiming I did something I didn't do. Artistic integrity is really lacking these days..

I have a question... Isn't a songwriting credit just for writing the lyrics?? Don't they have composing and arranging credits??

Everyone knows Justin and Rhianna don't write their songs, JB "co-writes" one or two while Rhianna writes nothing, but accusing Kanye west of not writing his is absurd.

Everyone knows Justin and Rhianna don't write their songs, JB "co-writes" one or two while Rhianna writes nothing, but accusing Kanye west of not writing his is absurd.

Yeah .. Kanye writes his own lyrics, but takes the lazy way out with nearly all his music. Sampling is a bit tired. Especially when you do it as much as he does.

Back