Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Invincible or Heartbreaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Gonetoosoon View Post
    These two songs are very underrated from the Invincible album and were Michael's attempt to experiment with a new modern sound with an industrial pop edge. Unbreakable undoubtedly was his best effort, and is one of the strongest, if not the strongest track on Invincible. But the other two tracks are rarely talked about.

Which of these lesser discussed tracks is better?

Invincible or Heartbreaker?

:ph34r:
    Actually, Michael Jackson wanted a sound similar to that of the ‘Superthug’ song by the American rapper N.O.R.E., which was produced by The Neptunes and it came out in 1998.

Michael Jackson was literally in love with the sound of the ‘Superthug’ song.

He played that song to Rodney Jerkins and to his team (Jerkins III, LaShawn Daniels, etc), and he asked from them to create a similar sound (for his upcoming album).

As for your question, the ‘Invincible’ song is not a good song overall, and that is why most fans took an instant dislike to it when they first heard it.

It is boring, repetitive, unexciting, uninspired and additionally it has very weak Michael Jackson’s vocals on it.

Comparatively, ‘Heartbreaker’ is a better song, but it also has its issues (for example, towards its end includes some very unnecessary, cheap sounds as if they were taken from an arcade video game).

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,008 Posts

I prefer Invincible.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I can't honestly decide.

I think my issue is they are quite similar and both at the front of the album.

Some great vocals and melodies somewhat destroyed by over production.

Off The Wall still sounds so fresh because of the instrumentation used.

I think Invincible is an album where MJ over-relied on producers but I don't want to criticise as it was MJ's vision.

I'd love to hear some reimagined and remixed versions of the Invincible tracks because I think once freed of the overproduction, some tracks are up there with some of his greats.

In the end, I chose Heartbreaker.

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Level
    Thanks

From these two I prefer Heartbreaker.
    Certainly no "Dubstep" as some try to claim, but it's a nice complex production.

Invincible I would prefer over Unbreakable.

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    ...most fans took an instant dislike to it when they first heard it.
    Speak for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Actually, Michael Jackson wanted a sound similar to that of the ‘Superthug’ song by the American rapper N.O.R.E., which was produced by The Neptunes and it came out in 1998.

Michael Jackson was literally in love with the sound of the ‘Superthug’ song.

He played that song to Rodney Jerkins and to his team (Jerkins III, LaShawn Daniels, etc), and he asked from them to create a similar sound (for his upcoming album).
    No shame about being deaf, but just stop making things up, ok?

Superthug is a nice beat, the typical cookie-cutter-Neptunes-production style of that time, but nothing on Invincible sounds like that.
    Not in sound design, not in flow nor regarding the overall minimalistic composition concept.

Read Damien Shields book that collects a lot of interviews and quotes from Rodney and people involved in their collaboration. In the beginning Michael almost dismissed him as a producer because he sounded like everyone else at the time. Why would he ask Rodney to make a Neptunes sounding beat? If Michael had wanted the trademark Neptunes style sound, he could have gotten the original (see Pharells MJ stories). But Michael wanted "a new Michael sound" from Rodney.
    Last edited by Electro; 14-05-2020 at 06:02 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Electro For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Electro View Post
    From these two I prefer Heartbreaker.
    Certainly no "Dubstep" as some try to claim, but it's a nice complex production.

Invincible I would prefer over Unbreakable.

Speak for yourself!

No shame about being deaf, but just stop making things up, ok?

Superthug is a nice beat, the typical cookie-cutter-Neptunes-production style of that time, but nothing on Invincible sounds like that.
    Not in sound design, not in flow nor regarding the overall minimalistic composition concept.

Read Damien Shields book that collects a lot of interviews and quotes from Rodney and people involved in their collaboration. In the beginning Michael almost dismissed him as a producer because he sounded like everyone else at the time. Why would he ask Rodney to make a Neptunes sounding beat? If Michael had wanted the trademark Neptunes style sound, he could have gotten the original (see Pharells MJ stories). But Michael wanted "a new Michael sound" from Rodney.

I agree!

The Neptunes were great, no doubt. I love what they did on Justin Timberlake's album Justified and I love the MJ vibe.

However, Michael didn't want to record Rock Your Body because he wanted a completely new sound. Even Rodney Jerkins said that the beats he made that Michael didn't like, sounded like something off Off The Wall.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nite Line View Post
    Heartbreaker and it's not even close. Heartbreaker is an absolute masterpiece. It has nice production, amazing beat and solid lyrics. The only thing Invincible does better is the rap. I think the rap by Fats on Heartbreaker was very underwhelming and boring, whereas Fats' rap on Invincible is pretty good. But other than the rap part, I always though Invincible was a very underwhelming song and a weak title track.

Heartbreaker is amazing and it's a shame that it was never released as single, because it deserves way more recognition. I think only the hardcore fans are aware of Heartbreaker's existence and that is such a shame.
    Who is fats anyway? I never heard of him before or after invincible & that always irritated tf outta me. 2 many known rappers could've took that spot

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,569 Posts

Heartbreaker - today at least. - Maybe next week Invincible might be my choice.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago.

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Heartbreaker, because Michael's beatboxing is amazing!

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wonderouzmj View Post
    Who is fats anyway? I never heard of him before or after invincible & that always irritated tf outta me. 2 many known rappers could've took that spot
    Neither have I. Michael could have used some of the biggest rappers of that time like Nelly or Diddy. That would have given Invincible more recognition in my opinion.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nite Line View Post
    Neither have I. Michael could have used some of the biggest rappers of that time like Nelly or Diddy. That would have given Invincible more recognition in my opinion.
    I agree 100%. Now I'm headed to Google this "fats"

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

I heard heartbreaker the other day after a while. and it's sounds so 2000's. also i didn't know Michael beatboxed on it. i need to listren to Invincible again to make my final choice.

Michael wasn't good at finding rappers. like other said, Michael should got nelly or any other rapper during the time. heck even rapped himself. he was pretty good with it.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

To me they sounds quite similar to each other... Anyway I vote for Heartbreaker, especially for the chorus

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

this a toss up cus it's so close. It changes by the day but right now invincible my song

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,540 Times in 1,644 Posts

"Heartbreaker," no question. Stellar production, excellent vocals and vocal harmonies, an incredible bridge, and the superior of the two Fats features. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it's definitely in the upper echelons of the Invincible track listing.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderouzmj View Post
    In 1999, Rodney Jerkins was vouching for a number of up-and-coming artists with Sony Music, one of whom was Fats. Rodney threw him on a number of tracks/remixes between 2001 and 2002 (e.g., So Plush's "What You Do to Me," Rhona's "Satisfied [Another Darkchild Remix]"), none of which attracted any public or critical attention.

When MJ requested an unknown rapper for "Heartbreaker" circa summer 1999, Rodney submitted Fats. According to Mike Smallcombe, MJ was so impressed by the contribution that he invited Fats to contribute to one or two other tracks.

Fats was signed to Rodney's record label, Darkchild Entertainment, up until it shuttered in 2006. From there he started his own independent venture, dropped a collaborative album with fellow up-and-comer Bathgate (Split Decision, 2006), and effectively faded into obscurity.

I've always suspected his real name to be Norman Gregg, since that name is credited on both "Heartbreaker" and "Invincible" and is borderline non-existent anywhere else on the Internet, but I recall being told that that's incorrect. So, who knows?

Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,828 Times in 1,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    "Heartbreaker," no question. Stellar production, excellent vocals and vocal harmonies, an incredible bridge, and the superior of the two Fats features. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it's definitely in the upper echelons of the Invincible track listing.

In 1999, Rodney Jerkins was vouching for a number of up-and-coming artists with Sony Music, one of whom was Fats. Rodney threw him on a number of tracks/remixes between 2001 and 2002 (e.g., So Plush's "What You Do to Me," Rhona's "Satisfied [Another Darkchild Remix]"), none of which attracted any public or critical attention.

When MJ requested an unknown rapper for "Heartbreaker" circa summer 1999, Rodney submitted Fats. According to Mike Smallcombe, MJ was so impressed by the contribution that he invited Fats to contribute to one or two other tracks.

Fats was signed to Rodney's record label, Darkchild Entertainment, up until it shuttered in 2006. From there he started his own independent venture, dropped a collaborative album with fellow up-and-comer Bathgate (Split Decision, 2006), and effectively faded into obscurity.

I've always suspected his real name to be Norman Gregg, since that name is credited on both "Heartbreaker" and "Invincible" and is borderline non-existent anywhere else on the Internet, but I recall being told that that's incorrect. So, who knows?
    Isin't there also a rumor that Fats rapped on the reworked version of Cheater?