Michael Jackson’s Forgotten Fortune: Secret Art Collection Uncovered & Valued At $900M /Update @pg10

ivy

Proud Member
Michael Jackson secretly left behind an almost billion-dollar secret art fortune that is now at the centre of an international tug of war, Star has exclusively learned.

The never-before-seen collection would have insured the King of Pop's surviving children were looked after for life. But in a startling twist, the secret vault has been sold out from underneath them, at a 'bargain basement' price, relatively speaking.

Lawyers running the late Thriller singer are moving to block the $87.7 million sale to an undisclosed international businessman, in a desperate attempt to return the incredible treasure to Prince, 13, Paris, 12, and Blanket, 8, and their guardian, Jackson's mother Katherine.

In an astonishing appraisal of the 182-pieces, obtained exclusively by Star, the “rare intact major collection” was valued at a whopping $902.52 million, with “an invaluable pedigree for future sales in the international art market.”

“Michael’s mystique in life combined with this exposure of his wonderful fine art creations following his tragic death will escalate the value of these works and the popularity of his artistic vision worldwide,” appraiser Eric Finzi, a certified member of the International Society of Appraisers, wrote in a document obtained by the magazine.

“I do not think we have begun to see the true value of this fine art yet.”

The loot is so valuable that it’s worth almost more than Jackson’s other assets combined, including copyrights to his pop hits and the Beatles' catalog, which he purchased in 1998 for $47.5 million.

Jackson, who was once famously called “a millionaire who lived like a billionaire,” built the extensive collection of sculptures and sketches that he drew while being taught by an Australian artist, Brett-Livingston Strong, who was a close friend.

Strong and his advisors orchestrated the deal recently, Star has learned.

In a letter sent to the artist, Dr. Tohme Tohme, Jackson’s last business manager and spokesperson, paved the way for the sale, transferring over the collection of artwork -- free of charge -- "to keep, sell, copy, exhibit and to use in whatever way you wish."

"Michael wants you to know he is truly grateful for the loyalty you have shown him over the years, and he views this as a small token of appreciation for your continued friendship and artistic partnership," Dr. Tohme wrote in the hand-signed letter, dated November 17, 2008, obtained by Star.

But now legal experts are now examining the validity of the document concerned that it could be a fake.

They also have questions over Jackson’s knowledge of the purported agreement.

"Michael's signature nor his initials are inked on the document that purports to gifts hundreds of millions of dollars to Strong, at a time when Michael was swamped in debt," a source close to the Jacksons told Star.

"It doesn't make sense that he would give it up."

The insider added: "Michael's mother and his children were the dearest thing to him in his life, so it beggars belief that he would not want them to benefit from this collection, financially."

Complicating matters, the source close to the Jacksons said Dr. Tohme has refused to swear an affidavit confirming the letter was true.

He was asked to do so by Howard Mann, the controversial Toronto gambling entrepreneur who is Katherine Jackson's business partner, Star has learned.

While Mann refused to comment when contacted about the deal, it's emerged he was bidding for the collection against Guy Laliberté, the former street performer who founded Cirque du Soleil and went on to become a billionaire. Neither man was successful.

The collection is as bizarre as the rest of the singer's turbulent life and includes intricate designs for chairs, gates, sculptures and elaborate doors he dreamed of installing at Neverland, Jackson’s former home (and amusement park and zoo), located 125 miles northwest of Los Angeles.

Each item tells a story about Jackson and throw light on mysteries which have puzzled fans for decades.

Star uncovered:

* Sketches of Jackson’s own feet doing his signature move from 'Billie Jean', the Moonwalk, now one of the best-known dance techniques in the world. Those original drawings have been valued at $600,000 each.
* His fascination with the number 7. In a series of artworks, Jackson sketched the numeral -- which coincided with the star's three biggest albums -- "Thriller," "Bad" and "Dangerous" -- each producing 7 top 40 hits. Jackson was also the 7th of 9 children.
* Recreations of the Statue of David and Dying Slave, the masterpiece of Renaissance sculpture by Michelangelo.
* His first work of art, "We the People," on Presidential archival paper. It’s said to be worth $3 million, according to the appraisal.
* An interesting political relic: The U.S. Presidency Seal signed by President Ronald Reagan. Jackson had visited the White House on May 16, 1984.
* After that visit, Jackson sketched ‘The White House Doors’ -- a drawing appraisers have estimated is worth at $3 million.
* Sketches of Martin Luther King, President Abraham Lincoln and President George Washington, worth in all, more than $8.1 million, it’s suggested.
* A self portrait emblazoned on a plaque to be the feature of an entrance to a theater at Neverland. There’s also an image of what Jackson titled the ‘Peter Pan Magic Gate.’
* Hand-signed sepia prints of ‘The Book,’ reputed to be the only portrait he ever posed for. The portrait depitcs Jackson dressed in red velvet holding a journal of thoughts and sketches.
* Sketches of the plane with which the Orville and Wilbur Wright achieved controlled flight. Jackson was said to have been fascinated with how the Wrights were able to fly. In a 2007 visit to the the Smithsonian's National Air and Space and American Indian museums, he lingered over the actual 1903 Wright Flyer.
The collection also includes a rocking chair made by one of President John F. Kennedy’s White House staffers for the president’s use in the oval office during his term in office.

The chair was presented to Michael by Walt Disney’s brother, Roy E. Disney.

The art was created at a top secret and inconspicuous airport hanger at Santa Monica Airport in California, Star has learned.

The successful bidder put down a payment of $37.7 million to secure the art and agreed to pay a further $50 million upon receipt of a release from the estate,” an insider close to the deal told Star.

“That’s what raised the red flag — the release has not been forthcoming and it’s ignited this tug of war."

As Star reports, the Jacksons and the estate are now working on a challenge against the document. See the disputed document -- along with sketches of the amazing art collection -- in the latest edition of Star, which is on newsstands now.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...e-secret-art-collection-uncovered-valued-900m

this is so oddd. Brett livingstone-strong is selling michael's art authorized by tohme and mann is bidding on it. what are we going to hear next

anyone has the star magazine

Michael was an incredibly gifted ARTIST. I realize the article was generated by a tabloid, but yet, probably IS true. No WAY would he sell or give away that collection. It should be for his CHILDREN! This is just sadness, heaped upon sadness. . . .

I have always believed that MJ had such things in secret fortune... and there is much more... hidden somewhere.... like shares in several companies...., who knows, and who knows if this info from the article is true...

Star... not very a reliable source...

twinklEE;3428930 said:
wow just wow

Same here!
I wonder what happened to all of the Giorgio and Nordahl artworks Michael commissioned...I wonder if these are included in this Lot. I cannot imagine MJ would have given away personal paintings of himself and his family.
This collection would make a wonderful permanent exhibition somewhere...I really hope the Estate can sort this out. This is a lot of artwork to house and look after, which would cost money, time and expertise....it needs to be in the right hands to do this....not sold off piece by piece as so much else.
(I notice that BLS still has one of his MJ paintings on ebay...at $100,000...the one that didn't sell last year....'The Lovers')
http://cgi.ebay.com/LOVERS-MICHAEL-...63390447?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item53e754f5ef

ivy;3428932 said:
this is so oddd. Brett livingstone-strong is selling michael's art authorized by tohme and mann is bidding on it. what are we going to hear next

anyone has the star magazine
This is sick, there is no way Michael would have authorized this

Something is VERY wrong with this picture, in my opinion.

First of all, how the HECK did Howard Mann inject himself in this matter.

Secondly, the article says that Mann wanted the collection. Then you have (as per the article) The Jacksons and the Estate of Michael Jackson trying to get the collection back. So my questions is: Are Mann and Katherine Jackson on different sides of the coin in this matter. If you go by this article, Mann is not trying to get this collection back to it's rightful owners, he wants the collection for himself.

I also find it odd, that we have not heard about this collection once it was supposedly on the selling block. Seems to me, this story would have made for a HUGE HEADLINE a long time ago.

Just that fact that HOWARD MANN is somehow involved, leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and makes the whole thing very odd!

Big Apple2;3428944 said:
Something is VERY wrong with this picture, in my opinion.

First of all, how the HECK did Howard Mann inject himself in this matter.

Secondly, the article says that Mann wanted the collection. Then you have (as per the article) The Jacksons and the Estate of Michael Jackson trying to get the collection back. So my questions is: Are Mann and Katherine Jackson on different sides of the coin in this matter. If you go by this article, Mann is not trying to get this collection back to it's rightful owners, he wants the collection for himself.

I also find it odd, that we have not heard about this collection once it was supposedly on the selling block. Seems to me, this story would have made for a HUGE HEADLINE a long time ago.

Just that fact that HOWARD MANN is somehow involved, leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and makes the whole thing very odd!

Yeah the whole combination of Mann, Thomae Thome, and Livingstone (he's proven to be shady) just makes this appear very dubious.

Maybe Ivy can help with this:

If (as per the article) Thome-Thome is not willing to verify whether the letter is a phony or not. In a court of law, wouldn't he have to authenticate the letter otherwise it would be deemed a fake?

Although I'm asking questions, I'm STILL keeping in mind that this information is coming from The Star. Which in my opinion is a cross between The National Enquirer AND People Magazine. I also wouldn't be surprised if all of this information is coming directly from Howard Mann himself. I just don't trust that guy!

After Tohme returned that 5M back in 2009, I knew he was holding on to much more.

If this story is true (why is Katherine Jackson doing interview with Star Magazine??) Since MJ's signature isn't on the document, I hope the estate can put an end to this madness

Is the collection is valued at 900M..why the heck would Strong sell it for 90M....Ridiculous!

I knew strong was a shady character..when he showed up at Hayvenhurst with Tohme for the Oprah interview. I wonder what else Tohme had stolen from MJ

some of the drawings mentioned in the article are the ones that were shown to Oprah when she did her special with Katherine and MJ3. And Livingstone was the one who brought them there if I am not mistaken.

the end of the radaronline's story says this

"Plus -- read what Jackson matriarch Katherine tells Star, in an exclusive interview, about the secret treasure trove!"

so apparently the source is Katherine - mann for this interview.

there was a letter mentioned in the mann lawsuit between tohme and livingstone-strong dated november 09. i wonder if this is the same letter. we need to see the star magazine to understand it. i'll try to get it tomorrow.

mann most probably would say that he was bidding on them "for" katherine.

and i'll try to confirm whether the story is true or not.

ivy;3428975 said:
the end of the radaronline's story says this

"Plus -- read what Jackson matriarch Katherine tells Star, in an exclusive interview, about the secret treasure trove!"

so apparently the source is Katherine - mann for this interview.

there was a letter mentioned in the mann lawsuit between tohme and livingstone-strong dated november 09. i wonder if this is the same letter. we need to see the star magazine to understand it. i'll try to get it tomorrow.

mann most probably would say that he was bidding on them "for" katherine.

and i'll try to confirm whether the story is true or not.

Ivy,

If Tohme cannot show any correspondence between MJ and him giving him permission to transfer his arts to Strong (Was MJ even close to this guys in the last few years??) won't the court turn them over to the estate? MJ had people like Miko Brando who were close to him who could testify whether or not MJ agreed to this.

He stopped the auction, I highly doubt he'd give away his art to this guy.

If you guys want, I can go buy a Star magazine on my lunch break and scan it in here. Let me know. I leave in a few.

@Memefan, I don't think that would matter if Thome was given POA.

ginvid;3428983 said:
If you guys want, I can go buy a Star magazine on my lunch break and scan it in here. Let me know. I leave in a few.

would be wonderful. check it before you buy to make sure that it has the story in it. sometimes stores here don't have them on the release date.

OK. I will be back in about an hour. I will post it then. :yes:

the estate should get this collection back...nobody should be autorized to sell nothing anymore...

Too many things are strange in this story, and dont make any sense.

"the hand-signed letter, dated November 17, 2008"?? And Michael would not have known? And Strong just took the gift and never mentioned it to Michael?

And Tohme wont confirm the authenticity of the letter?

Something that is worth so much would have been sold for such a small amount (well, considering...)?

:scratch:

Last edited:
Ok, I just bought it. The right hand side of the letter is covered up, but I will post what they have in a few.

ETA: I can say that by the wording of the letter, it seems as though not only did MJ know about the work being given to Strong, but initiated it and wanted to do it as a favor. The letter says MJ went through the pieces and took from them what he wanted and whatever was left Brett could have it and do with it as he chose. Also, the letter is typed and just has signatures at the end.

twinklEE;3428948 said:
Yeah the whole combination of Mann, Thomae Thome, and Livingstone (he's proven to be shady) just makes this appear very dubious.
yup..I agree...anywhere those three names are involved...is bad news....especially the 3 of them together...HOW did they manage to keep this story hush hush....then again when it comes to ,mann....everything is done on the sneak.

ginvid;3429008 said:
Ok, I just bought it. The right hand side of the letter is covered up, but I will post what they have in a few.

ETA: I can say that by the wording of the letter, it seems as though not only did MJ know about the work being given to Strong, but initiated it and wanted to do it as a favor. The letter says MJ went through the pieces and took from them what he wanted and whatever was left Brett could have it and do with it as he chose. Also, the letter is typed and just has signatures at the end.

Thanks, for getting the magazine!

And, Tohme refused to confirm the validity of the document? So, maybe Michael signed it/knew about it, and maybe he didn't? Something like the auction, that Michael did NOT want?

This also said about the auction. The fact that he won't say that he had POA under oath says a lot

Something about this story is off. Mrs Jackson talking to Star Magazine is fishy

This is what the Star says about Mrs. Jackson,

In a bid to usher through the deal, Strong recently reached out to Katherine and offered to financially compensate the Jacksons. But speaking exclusively to Star, the 81 year old patriarch stated she wanted the collection to be made available for Michael's fans to view. "I think his fans will want to see them because it was a part of him," she said. "Michael was always drawing or doing art. Now people are telling us the collection is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and all these people are trying to buy it.

ivy;3428923 said:
The successful bidder put down a payment of $37.7 million to secure the art and agreed to pay a further $50 million upon receipt of a release from the estate,” an insider close to the deal told Star.

This is also very weird, in my opinion:

If there is a "successful bidder" why would they be waiting for a RELEASE from The Estate? The Estate is not selling the collection.

This story is very strange. I'm going down to the newsstand and take a look at this article also.

Big Apple, I will scan in the whole article with pictures so you don't have to waste your money.

Back