Daily Quotes

Severus Snape

Proud Member
I thought it'd be fun to share quotes we like with each other, at the very least to gain some insight about the people we admire or think are important, etc. Quotes have always been snippets of human consciousness people have found memorable enough to guard against the fading force of time, so that even centuries later, these golden utterances remain intact, and ever-relevant against the backdrop of a changing world as beacons of human wisdom, depth, emotion, etc.

Any quote from any source whatsoever is welcome, no explanations needed. They are yours to post, for whatever reason you see fit. If you want to give an explanation, however, go right ahead.

I'll start with one of my favourite quotes of all time:

"He is unfortunately so beautiful and wise, soulful and lordly, that I fear his life must fade away like a divine dream in this base world... You cannot imagine the magic of his regard: if he remains alive it will be a great miracle!" ~Richard Wagner, upon meeting King Ludwig II of Bavaria

King Ludwig II has always been one of my favourite historical figures. Regarded as "The Fairytale King," or even less flatteringly, as "Mad King Ludwig," he was a gentle and noble soul whose artistic vision in regards to architecture remains present to this day. He was the great patron of German opera genius Richard Wagner, without whom Wager would have been swallowed up by creditors for his various debts. They were like two sides of a single being, however--Ludwig made it possible for Wagner's vision to reach the stage, and Wagner's vision gave way to Ludwig's dreams and imagination, so that one was equally reliant upon the other. The two would remain lifelong friends, and I believe Wagner was the only soul who ever walked upon this Earth that understood King Ludwig II.

His quote rings true--the King was an ill fit for the world of German politics in the 19th century. The way Ludwig looked at life, it was in direct contrast to the Prussian mindset which dominated German politics at the time. He was a happy dream, the remnants of a world of higher things...he attempted to bring this down to Earth, but what a mistake that was, to dream that such beautiful things could last--but Wagner was right. It would be but a brief visage into a world of happiness and purity, quickly snatched away, an ephemeral vision. The one true miracle was having Ludwig live for as long as he did, and build the wonders he built.

He was declared mad by some, but there was nothing "mad" about King Ludwig. If anyone was mad, it was those ambitious politicians who sought power and got drunk on it, or the imperialists who thought it alright to invade foreign lands and enslave the natives--not kindly and gentle Ludwig, whose mind had no scope of any such things, nor the capacity to understand them. His world was permeated by great legends and lore, it was pure bliss. But these things never last, and so he died, under circumstances which remain mysterious to this day, after being dethroned and declared insane, stripped of his freedom.

Another great life cut short, another genius prematurely buried. I'm not sure what prompted me to write about this, but it touches me deeply, so I must have this as my first quote in this thread, because the most beautiful are always the first to go.

I loved this thread! :wild:

Two:

"You have brains in your head. Your feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

"Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them . A desire, a dream, a vision." - Muhammed Ali

"If things get too much for you and you feel the whole world's against you, go stand on your head. If you can think of anything crazier to do, do it."
-Adolph/Arthur "Harpo" Marx

:happy:

He´s missing me .Astrid Lindgren

It´s not easy to translate but he should be there and he isn´t , I miss him
I guess you can say it says in a few words what many of us feel for Michael.

"

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." - Confucius

"You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through." - Rosalynn Carter

"Nothing is predestined: The obstacles of your past can become the gateways that lead to new beginnings." - Ralph Blum

"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult." - Seneca

"A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination." - Nelson Mandela

"My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others! "
— Marquis de Sade

If we have no peace it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.Mother Teresa

"Life laughs at you when you are unhappy and smiles at you when you are happy. But life salutes you when you make others happy."
-Charlie Chaplin

I start to spin as wildly as I can. This is my favorite dance, because it contains a secret. The faster I twirl, the more I am still inside. My dance is all motion without, all silence within. As much as I love to make music, it's the unheard music that never dies. And silence is my real dance, though it never moves -Michael Jackson

"Act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law." Immanuel Kant

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
— Marilyn Monroe

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.
Washington Irving

"Always." ~Severus Snape, in response to Dumbledore asking him whether he was still in love with Lily, even after so much time passed since they drifted appart.

A weak man is just by accident. A strong but non-violent man is unjust by accident.
-Mohandas Gandhi

A lie cannot live.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.
-Janet Jackson

You see, Africa makes a fool of our idea of justice. It makes a farce of our idea of equality. It mocks our pieties. It doubts our concern. It questions our commitment. Because there is no way we can look at what's happening in Africa, and if we're honest, conclude that it would ever be allowed to happen anywhere else - Bono

^^^^Ha, ha I was thinking at Mark Twain too this morning :)

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.
Mark Twain

I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough.:lol:
Mark Twain

Mark Twain was a riot! I had an English teacher back in High School who was obsessed with him. She had his pictures and quotes all over her room.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."
— Mark Twain

"Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read."
— Mark Twain

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
— Mark Twain

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography."
— Mark Twain

"Some people bring joy wherever they go, and some people bring joy whenever they go."
— Mark Twain

Despite his humour, he did say some very wise things:

"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live."
— Mark Twain

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
— Mark Twain

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else."
— Mark Twain

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination."
— Mark Twain

"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody."
— Mark Twain

"I wish to remain an eternal enigma to myself and to others."—King Ludwig II of Bavaria

“It seems to me that in the household of life, there is only room for a single type of person. He who wants to be someone must be rough, coarse, or phlegmatic. Whoever is different, is called eccentric by friend and foe.” —Quote attributed by some blogger to King Ludwig II of Bavaria, although I could not verify this. However, it is a very nice quote.

"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." -Abraham Maslow

"There are no easy answers; the questions remain tough." -lyric from the song Easy Street by Soul Asylum

I just can't conceive of how a person could hate another because of skin color. I love every race on the planet earth. Prejudice is the child of ignorance.
Naked we come into the world and naked we shall go out. And a very good thing too,
for it reminds me that I am naked under my shirt, whatever it's color- Michael Jackson

"A clear vision, backed by definite plans, gives you a tremendous feeling of confidence and personal power." - Brian Tracy

"Be what you are. This is the first step toward becoming better than you are." - August W. Hare

"Vitality shows not only in the ability to persist, but in the ability to start over." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Nothing is an obstacle unless you say it is." - Wally Amos

"Respect yourself and others will respect you." - Confucius

Back