Michael planned classical orchestrated Album

Ben

Proud Member
It's not a new article, and maybe it was posted here earlier. I wanted to share it though, in case some people haven't seen it yet, because it's just beautiful. Another proof of Michael's endless talent.

July 10, 2009

More details on instrumental album Michael Jackson started before his death, and his love of classical music

TV and film composer and conductor David Michael Frank may have been one of the last persons to collaborate with Michael Jackson on an artistic project. The pop singer’s untimely death left that project in an uncertain state. Initial reports suggested that Jackson planned to do an album of “classical music” he had written; the pieces were to be orchestrated by Frank. Actually, Frank says, the pieces were closer to film music and would have gone into an all-instrumental album had Jackson lived. The Baltimore-born Frank, interviewed by phone in California, gives an account here of his experience with the King of Pop:

Four or five months ago, I received a call from Michael Jackson’s longtime personal recording engineer, Michael Prince, who told me Michael was looking for someone to arrange some music for orchestra. I thought it was going to be for the tour he was going to do. For the next month or two, he would call, saying, ‘Michael Jackson says he’s going to call you.’

At the end of April, another Michael, Michael Jackson’s personal assistant, called me and asked me to come the next day at 10 a.m. and asked me the make and model of my car. I drove to the Holmby Hills home. I drove up to the front door, and was met by an assistant who told me to go inside. I was met there by a woman dressed like a housekeeper, but with a white turban on her head. She said, ‘Michael Jackson will be with you shortly.’ About two minutes later, he came down the stairs.

I was reluctant to shake his hand because I had heard that he was concerned about germs, but he immediately stuck his hand out and gave me a very firm handshake. He was very skinny, but not the least bit frail. He was wearing a suit and a hat. He was going to rehearsal later for the tour. He said, ‘You look familiar.’ I told him a long time ago I worked on a TV tribute to Sammy Davis, Jr. at Shrine Auditorium [that he had participated in]. I told him I had met him briefly there.’ He said, ‘I never forget a face.’

He told me, ‘I have three projects going on simultaneously.’ One was the tour that the whole world knew about. The other two I believe no one knew about. One was to be an album of pop songs. Then he said, ‘The other one is that I want to record an album of classical music’ — what he called classical music.
He said he listened to ...

classical music all the time; it was his absolute favorite. I was impressed with the pieces he mentioned: Aaron Copland’s Rodeo, Fanfare for the Common Man and Lincoln Portrait; Leonard Bernstein’s West Side Story. I mentioned Bernstein's On the Waterfront. Then Michael mentioned that he loved Elmer Bernstein's film music, too, and he specifically mentioned To Kill a Mockingbird.

I realized that almost all the classical pieces he mentioned are childlike, very simple and pretty, like Prokofiev’s Peter and the Wolf and Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite. He also mentioned Debussy several times, specifically Arabesque [No. 1] and Clair de lune. He was very soft-spoken when were talking about music, but when he got animated about something, he was very changed. When he mentioned how he loved Elmer Bernstein, and I said I liked the Magnificent Seven score, Michael started singing the theme very loudly, almost screaming it.
He said, ‘I’m making a CD.’ Then his son, Prince Michael, came in, and Michael asked him to find a CD player. Paris found one and brought it in with Prince. Michael played the CD. It was very pretty music. He said, ‘But a section is missing.’ He played a second piece. And he said, ‘But a section is missing, too. But I can hum it to you.’ I asked if there was a piano in the house, and he said there was one in the pool house. We headed out there, but Michael stopped when he saw the dog was outside, soaking wet from being in the pool. He didn't want us to get splattered. It was kind of funny. Michael got another assistant to hold the dog while we went to his pool house.

I sat at the piano and Michael hummed the missing part of one of the pieces. I had taken a little digital recorder with me and asked if I could record him. He was in perfect pitch. I tried to figure out chords to go with it as he hummed. He said, ‘Your instincts are totally right about the chords.’

We talked about classical music some more. I played some Debussy pieces. Michael seemed very happy and I think he felt very comfortable with me. He mentioned Leonard Bernstein again, and I played some of West Side Story. He told me he had met Bernstein once and that Bernstein had said he was a big fan of Michael’s.
Back in the house, whenever he’d go from room to room, you’d hear, ‘I love you, Daddy.’ ‘I love you, Paris.’ They all seemed pretty normal and happy.

Michael was very anxious to get the pieces orchestrated and record the music with a big orchestra. I suggested we record it at the Fox, Sony or Warner Brothers lot. I asked if he could have someone call me to discuss the budget and he said he would take care of it. When I left there were several fans outside the gate.

[Later] I talked to Michael on the phone. He asked me how the project was going and I said I was waiting to hear from someone so we could set the deal. I suggested we could record the music in London while he was doing the show there. He liked the idea. He again brought up Arabesque.

I laid the music all out on my computer and started on the orchestrations. Finally, a week before Michael died, his manager, Frank Dileo, called and asked me for an email with the budget and an electronic mock-up of the music, the costs of orchestration.

Now I have no idea what’s going to happen with this. I’m hoping the family will do something to get this done. I will not bring it up [with them] until after what I think is an appropriate time.

My guess is that each piece would be seven to ten minutes long. [Each one] is more substantial than a song. It’s very pretty music. One piece had an Irish quality about it. I suggested that we could use a Celtic harp. The pieces sound like pretty film score music, with very traditional harmony, and definitely very strong melodies. One of them was a little John Barry-ish, like in Out of Africa -- that kind of John Barry score. I could hear [in my head] sweeping strings and French horns in unison.
I told Michael I was going to use one of Leonard Bernstein’s batons I had bought at auction when we did the recording. I knew he would have gotten a big kick out of that. I guess I still will use that baton if I ever get to conduct the music.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/ent...c/2009/07/more_details_on_instrumental_a.html

Re: Michael's instrumental album

What I would give to hear a classical MJ album. I think that if we hear some classical compositions from him we'd get a REAL glimpse into what was in his head, music-wise. I bet he's written some absolutely breathtaking music. I really, really hope we get to hear this one day. It'd be a dream come true for me.

I totally share your feeling. It would have been amazing. I hope we'll have the chance to hear at least some of it one day.

Oh my, I bet that music would be amazing. I really hope we get to hear it. And what an amazing account as well, LOL at the dog taking a dip in the pool.

:cry: Beautiful article and just wonderful to think about what that music would be like. I think the greatest thing about classical music is that it can be performed in its entirety without the artist present - long after their gone. Mozart, Beethoven, Debussy, Elgar etc etc have had their pieces played thousands of times by live orchestras over the centuries. This is something I desperately desire from Michael. It would be like going to one of his concerts I think - because you could truly feel him there through the composition and the instruments. The sad thing about these unfinished songs (which would have gone on Michael future pop/studio albums) is that Michael's voice is required on all of them. If these parts are not recorded - then it's very unlikely they'll ever see the light of day in its entirety. Classical music on the other hand, due to its instrumental nature.. only needs the pieces of music written (or in Michael's case made on a tape recorder) for it to be replicated forever more after the artist is gone. A tribute artist just can't capture the magic of Michael's vocal talent, but an orchestra can[i/] capture the magic of Michael's mind. His soul. His spirit.

That's why a classical album would mean far more to me than some post-humous MJ album where I can't be assured of the quality or that what I'm hearing came from Michael's heart.

I'd also like to add that I think the thread title should be changed to 'classical' album because instrumental and classical are too very different things..

:cry: Beautiful article and just wonderful to think about what that music would be like. I think the greatest thing about classical music is that it can be performed in its entirety without the artist present - long after their gone. Mozart, Beethoven, Debussy, Elgar etc etc have had their pieces played thousands of times by live orchestras over the centuries. This is something I desperately desire from Michael. It would be like going to one of his concerts I think - because you could truly feel him there through the composition and the instruments. The sad thing about these unfinished songs (which would have gone on Michael future pop/studio albums) is that Michael's voice is required on all of them. If these parts are not recorded - then it's very unlikely they'll ever see the light of day in its entirety. Classical music on the other hand, due to its instrumental nature.. only needs the pieces of music written (or in Michael's case made on a tape recorder) for it to be replicated forever more after the artist is gone. A tribute artist just can't capture the magic of Michael's vocal talent, but an orchestra can[i/] capture the magic of Michael's mind. His soul. His spirit.

That's why a classical album would mean far more to me than some post-humous MJ album where I can't be assured of the quality or that what I'm hearing came from Michael's heart.

I'd also like to add that I think the thread title should be changed to 'classical' album because instrumental and classical are too very different things..

100% agree...Absolutely...

I hope we get this soon but I hope it won't count on the Sony projects cause they only have 7 left

I really want to hear Michael´s classical music

Has there been any more word on this? This would be the most amazing album that could be released. Just listening to instrumental versions of songs like Childhood gives me shivers.

That would be soo amazing if it ever had to be released.I really hope it does get released I can only imagine how beautiful it would be.

I hope we get this soon but I hope it won't count on the Sony projects cause they only have 7 left
I would say this is what I want the MOST from the Sony deal...So I absolutely hope it counts..

Re: Michael had plans to record an album of songs Classic

I wonder if he ever presented the music to Michael's estate ?
Was Michael planning on laying vocals to it ?
Did he have a piece Michael wrote ?

Those are Unanswered questions .. of what this was and if it will ever be realized in the future
If Michael indeed had a part in what he created i would love to hear it.

Re: Michael had plans to record an album of songs Classic

This is in Joe Vogels book

We headed out there, but Michael stopped when he saw the dog was outside, soaking wet from being in the pool. He didn't want us to get splattered. It was kind of funny. Michael got another assistant to hold the dog while we went to his pool house.

This must have been an amazing sight, but I bet he was more afraid of the dog than getting wet. :)

Back in the house, whenever he’d go from room to room, you’d hear, ‘I love you, Daddy.’ ‘I love you, Paris.’ They all seemed pretty normal and happy.

Aww....you read comments like this and you know there was so much love in that house between Mike and his kids.

Anyway, it would really be interesting to see what comes of this, I for one would be happy to hear what Michael had envisioned.

Re: Michael planned classical orchestrated Album [merged]

^^^ Thanks I merged the 2 threads

I would say this is what I want the MOST from the Sony deal...So I absolutely hope it counts..

I have to agree. There is nothing I would love more than to hear breaktaking, gorgeous pieces of music composed by Michael. I've recently found a very raw instrumental of Speechless and it truly leaves me "speechless" every time I listen to it. It's 100% Michael and 100% pure beauty and love. It's just magical and hearing classical masterpieces by Michael would have such a profound effect on listeners. To say he was talented would be an understatement! I hope we get to hear what ever, if any, music he had composed.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QVaF4U9gTXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love Michaels version more, but if he hadn´t had time to do the vocals to it wouldn´t it be nice to at least get the music?

Release it please

Yes, please release Michael's classical music! This is what I am awaiting most anxiously!

MIST;3638307 said:
I haven´t forgotten this album

Me neither...In fact, I think about it all the time lol...I really hope we get to hear this music one day....To hear those classical melodies Michael had in his head :dropdead: I know how much he loved classical music, and how much he incorporated it into his music...Now, to hear just the sole classical compositions that Michael had in his head would be a real treat and a real in-depth look into just how artistic he really was....

oh, i would love to hear it i'm just afraid it will never be released as it would not be a huge money-maker! (but i would buy it right away!) :(

I would be interested to know exactly how far this was near to completion in terms of the writing and orchestrating process. And what Michael's roles in it were. I would love to hear it, but it would have to be recorded first, and i doubt it would be seen as profitable, which is such a shame, maybe one day we will get to here it, we should make whoever necessary aware though that we are interested in hearing this! :)

There is nothing more I would await more anxiously. He had such an amazing ear for melody- made for classical music. Just think "Little Susie" lines and expand on that... for some reason I always pictured him writing a short modern dance piece and choreograph it for himself. MJ Ballet.

:bump
It would be nice to hear just Michael´s music untouched on one cd and then another cd where the music is orchestrated and ready.
Double cd please.
It´s a dream to go to a concert where a symphonyorchester plays Michael´s classical music

Maybe they can release his classical music on one cd and have another cd with some unreleased songs.
Classical music and classical songs........
Then more people would buy it.

Hey guys
It's interesting reading this post about the orchestrated album considering my recent findings about Michaels Classical input in his short film Ghosts with Nicholas Pike and other musicians.

Heres a link to a thread I made last week with all the track titles for music featured in Ghosts! For those of you who have seen This is It (featured after thriller and in between Threatend) and Ghosts you may be familiar with the choir scene where ghouls float down... This track is called 'Descending Angels' also known to some fans as Ghosts-Underscore. This is one of the many songs that Michael Composed with Nicholas Pike, I believe and so websites seem to identify.

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/124735-What-s-that-track-Unknown-Michael-Songs-%28Ghosts%29

I combined the short snippet of 'Descending Angels' with the track 'Ashes to Ashes' featured in Ghosts (in the scene where Michael crumbles away towards the end of the short film) Both songs sound very similar, so I think It is just one long Orchestrated piece separated into two tracks. 'Descending Angels & Ashes to Ashses' sound very similar to bits in 'Will You Be There' & 'Who Is It Intro'

I'm just desperate to get these official tracks divided from the short film, as they are really beautiful songs.

Back