Your Favourite Tv Shows From When You Where A Kid

MJBT

Proud Member
I had to look after my little cousin which mainly consisted of sitting through DVD's of his favourite Tv shows and was surprised by how dumbed dow kids Tv is compared to the shows I grew up watching so what were your favourites as a kid?

Alvin & The Chipmunks
Peter Pan No Boken

I tend to dislike the modern cartoons as either the designs/drawings look awkward, or they've been "kidified" beyond my liking. Then again, maybe I'm just being sour from all the sudden changes. Shows like Tom & Jerry just aren't as funny (or violent) as the classics in my opinion though.

Anyway, my favourites happened to be:

Spider-Man (1994)
Batman: The Animated Series (1992)
Tom & Jerry (1940)

The J5, Goldorak, Maya the Bee, Albator... and all the stuff from the Disney channel and Tex Avery. Those were the days.

And yes, I agree. Nowadays, the drawings are ugly, the stories are dumb, and the characters loud and completely stupid.

90s and early 2000s
-Sailor Moon
-Ranma 1/2
-Dragon Ball Z
-Sesame Street
-Daria (The only age-inappropriate show I watched lol, but on my defence, it's brilliant and the antithesis of those dumb Disney sitcoms).
-Clifford the Big Red Dog
-Courage the Cowardly Dog
-Little Bear
-Arthur
-Darkwing Duck
-Zoboomafoo (this show which used to air on Discovery Kids about animals).
-Hercules (the Disney show, not the film).
-Heidi
-Hey Arnold
-Briefly, Pokemon and Digimon, but after the first two seasons these shows sucked.

Early to mid 2000s:
-The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
-Invader Zim
-The Proud Family (I think that was the only really decent Disney Channel show).
-Truth or Scare (Discovery Kids show about paranormal phenomena).
-Mystery Hunters (same thing).

As I aged, I started to turn away from television bit by bit. Nowadays, I rarely watch it. The only TV shows I enjoy now are all anime. Western children's television (and one could argue, television in general) has truly gone down the s--tter thanks to Disney Channel. One barely sees cartoons anymore--all children's entertainment seems to be poorly written (translate: not funny at all) sitcoms involving watered-down sexual situations with teenagers, or said teenage protagonists being rude. I've also seen that they're racist, especially the Disney Channel ones (I can't really accuse the Nickelodeon clones of this, as I haven't seen it). It's truly sick. I'm so glad I didn't have to endure that in my childhood.

The only Western children's show I watch now is Mister Roger's Neighbourhood on YouTube.

Last edited:
How 2
Art Attack
Hey Arthur
Rugrats
TMNT
Power Rangers
Loony Tunes
Sabrina
Sister Sister
Keenan & Kel
Fresh Prince
Banana Man
Postman Pat
Fireman Sam
Bodger & Badger
Chuckle Brothers

The Simpsons
Ghostbusters
Scooby Doo
Beavis & Butthead
Ren & Stimpy
Ahh Real Monsters
Batman
Fantastic Four
Animaniacs
Duck Tales
Pinky and the Brain
Rugrats
X-Men
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Looney Tunes

Daria
Doug
Beavis and Butthead
Rugrats
AAAA Real Monsters
Hey! Arnold
Ren and Stimpy
Smurfs
Rainbow Brite ( my favorite cartoon ever!!)
Jetsons
The Little Mermaid (the tv show)
Aladdin (also was a tv show)
Clarissa Explains it All
Hey Dude
Salute your shorts
Care Bears
My little pony
Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Tiny Toon Adventures
Power Rangers
BeetleJuice
Pee Wee's Playhouse
Muppet Babies
the Muppet Show
Scooby Doo
A pup named scooby Doo
Save By The Bell
California Dreams
Family Matters
Boy Meets World
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Angel
Dawson's Creek
Sister Sister
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Sabrina the teenage witch

Umm mine is:
The Adventures Of Captain Sinbad (1998-1999) [All seasons]
The Spellbinder (1999-2000) [All episodes]
... maybe there's more but I can't remember well :p

Spider-Man: The Animated Series (1994)
Superman: The Animated Series (1996)
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
DuckTales
Quack Pack
Extreme Ghostbusters
Biker Mice from Mars
Nikke Knatterton
Digimon
Pokemon
The New Adventures of Zorro
Thunderbirds

Last edited:
The J5, Goldorak, Maya the Bee, Albator... and all the stuff from the Disney channel and Tex Avery. Those were the days.

And yes, I agree. Nowadays, the drawings are ugly, the stories are dumb, and the characters loud and completely stupid.

I LOVED Maya the Bee!!! Although I can't say that I was very little when I watched it haha, I was about 15-16 years old, but still I absolutely LOVED it!

and when I was a little kid, I watched the Soviet cartoons only, because we didn't have Western TV channels in the Soviet Union obviously. And I must tell those cartoons were great. They don't make anything like that now.

Spider-Man: The Animated Series (1994)
Superman: The Animated Series (1996)
and TRANSFORMERS!

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Darkwing Duck
Tiny Toons
Animainiacs
Johnny Bravo
Dexter's Laboratory
Pokemon
Rugrats
Ren and Stimpy
Beavis and Butt-Head
The Simpsons
South Park
Cow and Chicken
Taz Mania
Rocko's Modern Life
Goosebumps
Are You Afraid Of The Dark?
Hey Arnold
The Power Puff Girls
Clarissa Explains It All
Sabrina The Teenage Witch
Kenan and Kel
All That
The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air
Duck Tales

Last edited:
Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers
Sonic The Hedgehog

Wow there are so much I love.

-"Winnie The Pooh"
-"Alvin & The Chipmunks"
-"Bugs Bunny"
-"Sailor Moon"
-"Pokemon"
-"Digimon"
-"Donald Duck"
-"Rocko's Modern Life"
-"Rugrats"
-"Sonic The Hedgehog"
-"Super Mario Bros."
-"Arthur"
-"Video & Arcade Top 10"
-"Timon & Puumba"
-"Pinky & The Brain"
-"Black Stallion"

I miss cartoons, they're just not the same anymore, I put on the cartoon channel the other day, and even the new Tom and Jerry wasn't the same. Anyway my childhood favourites were (not in any order):

Looney Toons (& Tiny Toons)
Kenan and Kel
Save By The Bell
Sabrina the teenage witch
Tom and Jerry
Pokemon
Scooby Doo
Rugrats
Power Rangers

Plus so many more, looking back at it now, childhood was such a golden time :lol:

Some ancient ones :
Captain Pugwash
Mr Pastry
The Lone Ranger
Mister Ed
Bewitched
Robin Hood
Batman
Yogi Bear
Top Cat
Space Patrol
Fireball XL5
Stingray
Dr Who
Thunderbirds

Duck Tales
Darkwing Duck
Goof Troop
Quack Pack
Tiny Toons
Looney Tunes
Animaniacs
Step by Step
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

I grew up on these from early childhood through teenager

Disney Cartoons & Movies
Tom & Jerry (Original)
Looney Toons (Original)
Daffy Duck
Alvin and The Chipmunks
Marvin The Martin
Bugz Bunny
Road Runner & Wile E Coyote
The Flintstones
The Jetsons
Mary Poppins
The Muppets Show
Mr. Cartoon
Picture Pages
The Smurfs
Strawberry Shortcake
Care Bears
My Little Pony
3 2 1 Contact
The Electric Company
Double Dare (Orginial)
(Early Nickelodeon)
What Would You Do
Wonder Woman
Kids Incorprated
Laverne and Shirley
Happy Days
Friday Fright Night
Elvira Midnight Madness
The Crypt
Tales From The Crypt
Fame
Soul Train
American Bandstand
Dance Party USA
Solid Gold
Growing Pains
Alf
Pee Wee's Play House
Just The Ten of Us
Wonder Years
Gimme A Break
Different Strokes
Mork And Mindy
The Cosbys
Silver Spoons
Family Ties
Fat Albert
Who's The Boss
Punky Brewster
Brady Bunch
Love Boat
Degrassi High (Original)
Bill Nye The Science Guy
Jackson 5 Cartoon
Captin Kangaroo
Sesame Street
Reading Rainbow
Romper Room
Classic/Original Saturday Morning Cartoons
Doogie Howser MD
My Two Dads
Golden Girls
Dukes of Hazzard
The Jeffersons
Double Trouble
Amen
Facts of Life
Blossom
Good Times
Beverly Hills 90210
Ren & Stempy
The Simpsons
A Different World
Married With Children
Night Court
Head of The Class
Martin
Rosanne
Perfect Strangers
In Living Color
Living Single
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
My So Called Life

:heart:
souldreamer7

Last edited:
If these: The Lone Ranger
Mister Ed
Bewitched
Robin Hood
Batman
Yogi Bear
Top Cat are ancient I wouldn't even dream of putting down any shows I grew up with...:p .

If these: The Lone Ranger
Mister Ed
Bewitched
Robin Hood
Batman
Yogi Bear
Top Cat are ancient I wouldn't even dream of putting down any shows I grew up with...:p .

Top Cat was a brilliant show one of my favourites

I watch a lot of tv when I was little. Since like half the time I never had anyone to play with back then. These are some of my many favorite tv shows:

Night Court
Perfect Strangers
The Cosby Show
Sailor Moon
Looney Tunes
Tiny Toons
In Living Color
The Simpsons
Kenan and Kel
Ducktales
Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers
The Smurfs
Rainbow Brite
Strawberry Shortcake
Punky Brewster
Jem
Tom and Jerry
My Little Pony
The Wuzzles
The Popples
The New Adventures of Winnie The Pooh
Garfield and Friends
Family Ties
Diffe'rent Strokes
Gummi Bears
Jackson 5 cartoons
Evening Magazine

That last one was an 80s tv show. That was like a mixture of Inside Edition and Entertainment Tonight. It was one of my most earliest memories of seeing Michael on tv. And the whole mania over him back then. I was just 4 or 5 years old then when I remember seeing that. Though at that time I was more in to Madonna than I was with Michael. It wasn't until the late 80s was when I started to like Michael more. And Madonna less.

Last edited:
Kung Fu

Kung Fu: The Legend Continues

And...
[h=1]Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (the orginal)[/h]

Sailor Moon (this also seems to be a hit around here)
Daddy Long Legs
Sandy Bell
+ other Japanese-made series
The Fresh Prince
Saved by the Bell

The smurfs
My Little Pony
Tom & Jerry
Looney Tunes
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

and
Goosebumps

by Robert D. McFadden | Dec. 8, 2019 | New York Times
2e1fae86d0261ae6fc578ed0c4367a59

Sometimes he stood 8 feet 2 inches tall. Sometimes he lived in a garbage can. He often cited numbers and letters of the alphabet, and for nearly a half century on “Sesame Street” he was Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, opening magic doors for children on the secrets of growing up and the gentle arts of friendship.

His name was Caroll Spinney — not that many people would know it — and he was the comfortably anonymous whole-body puppeteer who, since the 1969 inception of the public television show that has nurtured untold millions of children, had portrayed the sweet-natured, canary-yellow giant bird and the misanthropic, furry-green bellyacher in the trash can outside 123 Sesame Street.

Mr. Spinney, who also performed his characters in live concerts around the world and at the White House many times and was featured in films, documentaries and record albums, died on Sunday at his home in Woodstock, Conn. He was 85.
His death was announced by Sesame Workshop. It said in a statement that he had lived for some time with dystonia, which causes involuntary muscle contractions.

For generations of preschoolers in America and scores of countries where the program is broadcast, Big Bird and Oscar were vivid playmates and subtle tutors in a Jim Henson Muppet menagerie that included Kermit the Frog, Bert and Ernie and the voracious Cookie Monster.The dialogue is scripted, but it was up to puppeteer-actors like Mr. Spinney to provide the voices and personalities.

Joining “Sesame Street” for its first season, Mr. Spinney, who had loved puppeteering since childhood, had problems at first adjusting to the Big Bird puppet suit created by Kermit Love. Mr. Spinney was 5 feet 10 and had to maneuver the giant from inside with hands, wires and a TV monitor strapped to his chest to guide him around studio sets.

But, raising his voice to a childlike pitch, Mr. Spinney easily picked up the talk of a perennial 6-year-old canary. He ascribed it to a lifelong ability to think like a child.
merlin_163865175_6a8ef923-8bf7-43e0-9e9f-60641ee281d7-jumbo.jpg

Mr. Spinney as Big Bird with Lynn Finkel, the stage manager for "Sesame Street,” before a taping. Big Bird was a perennial 6-year-old canary.

“I think most people completely forget what it was like being a kid by the time they grow up,” he told The New York Times in 1982, after 13 years and global success in his roles. “But I never got over it. It was almost a problem for me, in fact, trying to grow up enough, even when I went into the Air Force.”

His Big Bird had a childlike innocence, sometimes goofy, sometimes subdued, outgoing or shy, like most children a creature of habit and mood. His themes were simple: that it was good to speak up, O.K. to make a mistake, all right to be sad sometimes. At Jim Henson’s memorial service in 1990 at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York, Big Bird sang a heart-rending farewell, “It’s Not Easy Being Green.”

As for Oscar the Grouch, Mr. Henson had wanted to model the gruff character on a “magnificently rude” restaurant waiter. But Mr. Spinney found another inspiration: the belligerent New York cabdriver he encountered on the way to his first day on the show. “Where to, Mac?” the cabby demanded, and without prompting launched into a tirade against the city’s liberal mayor, John V. Lindsay.

It was perfect — a consummate kvetch, peeved with everything and everybody (except small children). Oscar, who rarely left his trash can, hoarded junk, kept a pet orange worm called Slimey, attended annual “grouch conventions in Syracuse, New York,” despised “Pox News” and had a girlfriend named Grundgetta, Grundgie for short. His favorite dessert was a spinach-sardine-chocolate fudge sundae.
08SPINNEY-oscar-superJumbo.jpg

Mr. Spinney with Oscar the Grouch at the Daytime Emmy Awards in 2006. The character was inspired, in part, by a belligerent New York cabdriver.

In a 2009 interview with Anderson Cooper on CNN for the 40th anniversary of “Sesame Street,” Oscar said he would still be orange — his original color — if he ever bothered to bathe his shaggy green moss.

When Big Bird and Oscar occasionally performed together — bird singing ABCs, grouch fulminating — Mr. Spinney operated one puppet while an understudy handled the other, using a vocal recording by Mr. Spinney. His dramatic range was wide. “I’ve gone from blubbering tears to wild happiness,” he told The Times in 1988. “It’s very satisfying.”

Mr. Spinney, who at times also played Bruno the Trash Man, Granny Bird and Elmo, took his characters to studios and stages across Europe, the Americas and Asia. “We traveled the world doing shows for kids, sometimes with Big Bird conducting orchestras,” he recalled.

In 1973, a year after President Richard M. Nixon’s diplomatic breakthrough with Communist China, Mr. Spinney flew to Beijing for a performance. Big Bird had his own seat on the plane. “They gave us a half-price ticket because he was only 6 years old,” Mr. Spinney said.

Big Bird appeared in “The Muppet Movie” (1979) and “The Muppets Take Manhattan” (1984), and in 1985 starred in “Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird,” in which a meddlesome social worker sends him to live with “his own kind,” a family of dodos in “darkest Illinois.” He runs away, and has a cross-country adventure.

Mr. Spinney, whose home in Woodstock had a roller-skating rink and a secret passageway for children to spy down on grown-ups in the dining room, spoke softly and had a gentle face framed by long gray hair and a neat goatee. While he spoke at colleges and made public appearances, he could walk down a crowded sidewalk anywhere without being recognized.
08SPINNEY-03-jumbo.jpg

Mr. Spinney with his wife, Debra, at their home in Woodstock, Conn., in 2018.

“I’ve gotten used to the fact that Big Bird’s super famous and I’m a nobody,” he told Yankee magazine in 2010. “I made my peace with it. I’m glad I’m not recognizable.”

As the physical requirements of performing his characters became difficult for him, in particular a problem with balance, Mr. Spinney stopped doing the puppeteering for Big Bird in 2015, and began providing only the voices for him and Oscar. Matt Vogel, who had been Mr. Spinney’s apprentice as Big Bird since 1996, succeeded him in that role.

With the impending 50th anniversary of “Sesame Street” in October 2018, Mr. Spinney left the show after his own remarkable half-century run as the embodiment of two of the most beloved characters on television and one of the last surviving staff members who had been with the show from its beginning.

“I always thought, ‘How fortunate for me that I got to play the two best Muppets,’” Mr. Spinney said in a retirement interview with The Times. “Playing Big Bird is one of the most joyous things of my life.”

Caroll Edwin Spinney was born in Waltham, Mass., on Dec. 26, 1933, the youngest of three sons of Chester and Margaret Spinney. He and his brothers, Donald and David, grew up in Acton, near Boston. Caroll was a shy, lonely artistic child. Unlike his disapproving father, his mother encouraged his interest in drawing, painting and puppetry, even building him a puppet stage set to perform for neighborhood children. At 12, he had 70 puppets, many made by his mother.

He graduated from Acton-Boxborough Regional High School and attended the Art Institute of Boston, but dropped out to join the Air Force. Serving in Las Vegas, he had his first professional puppet show in 1955, playing “Rascal Rabbit” on television. After being discharged, he returned to Boston, where for a decade he played clown and puppet characters on a television show, “Bozo’s Big Top.”

He encountered Mr. Henson at a puppeteers festival in Salt Lake City in 1969, and a few months later joined “Sesame Street.”
Mr. Spinney and his first wife, Janice, had three children, Jessica, Melissa and Ben, and were divorced in 1971. In 1979, he married Debra Jean Gilroy, who was working for the Children’s Television Workshop when they met in 1972. Besides his second wife and three children, survivors include several grandchildren.

His honors included six Daytime Emmys, two Grammys, a Library of Congress Living Legend Award in 2000 and a Lifetime Achievement Award of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences in 2006.

Mr. Spinney’s Connecticut home, a Bavarian-style chalet, held a trove of mementos, including a letter from then President-elect Barack Obama, and a wall of pictures taken with television luminaries like Sid Caesar, Bob Hope and Jerry Seinfeld.

He published a memoir, “The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch): Lessons From a Life in Feathers” (2003, with J. Milligan), and was the subject of a 2014 documentary, “I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story,” by Dave LaMattina and Chad N. Walker.

In the documentary, Michael Davis, who wrote “Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street,” likened Mr. Spinney’s talent to an evergreen childhood. “There’s something about Caroll,” he said. “Not many people have it. He can go back in time almost, and re-create the feelings and thoughts and the questions and the fears of a youngster.”
ff5a6b7055e4d5f6a30c0af83d7598a5

Mr. Spinney with original Oscar the Grouch in 1969

Back