On which album do you like Michael's voice best?

Which albums do you like Michael's voice best?

• Total voters

Gonetoosoon

Proud Member
Due to the fact that Michael had a career that spanned over four decades, his voice obviously experienced changes throughout the years.

For example

-Michael at a very young age had a very soulful voice, but was also capable of reaching very high and long held notes. He had an enthusiasm in his every word and the bubblegum pop, funky, Motown sound suited it greatly.

-We see during the Thriller days he sounds like he's about to take off (if that makes sense), the power in his voice is just astounding.

-It changed progressively over the next few albums, most notably with Dangerous and HIStory where in some songs there is a 'raspy-ness' to his vocals for example in Scream, WYWTTOM, TDCAU, 2 Bad etc.

-In Invincible we hear Michael's voice mature a little more. It is still incredibly smooth and powerful, but something is different about it somehow - it's lower, more soulful IMO. E.g. Butterflies, Whatever Happens

So vote - which of Michael's albums did you like his voice best? Which is your favourite that you can't get enough of? :chillin:

Invincible. Butterflies, whatever happens, Heaven can wait.... Yeah.. Nuff said.

For me it is Bad, Dangerous, HIStory, and Invincible. But out of those albums I L.O.V.E. how he had sounded on the Dangerous album especially the song Who Is It. Which is my number one favorite MJ song in the entire world.:wub:

It was tough but I went with HIStory/Blood On The Dancefloor.

A short explanation: They Don't Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow, Childhood, Earth Song. All the aggressive tracks, 2 Bad, This Time Around, Scream.

There's just so much power and emotion throughout the record, it's hard for me not to choose it.

Please somebody post the poll results because I don't wanna vote. It's unfair.

I said I adore Michael on Triumph and I think his voice/singing there is different from all the other albums but I love equaly his voice on all albums and I won't vote.

EDIT:i can see the poll results :doh:

Got To Be There/Ben/Music and Me has 1
Forever Michael has 0
Off The Wall has 2
Thriller has 2
Bad has 4
Dangerous has 3
HIStory/BOTDF has 6
Invincible has 6

So HIStory and Invincible are in the lead right now.

edit: woops, just saw your edit. :p

It's really hard to choose one... I love his voice in Bad because it's very smooth but more mature than on Thriller. But Dangerous and BOTDF vocals are great too! ;D

I voted 'thriller' of course :) Michael developed a smooth croon, and I feel as though his trademark high tenor was established here. he was also able to convey various emotions such as anxiety and frustration ('startin somethin'/'billie jean') and calm and relaxing ('human nature'). 'love never felt so good' is a prime example of this ability. where he curves the notes with warmth, and is soft and strong at the same time. everything is clean and clear :) . 'someone in the dark' with its phrasing and breathing..

'off the wall' showed michael's range, with layered falsettos and glimpses of his barritone.

the motown albums had Michael doing runs and sustaining notes like the soul singer he was ('girl, don't take your love from me')! the transition was natural

i'm partial to high, soft and smooth sounds. 'triumph' can also share the top spot with 'thriller' for me

I voted for Thriller and Bad as obviously I love the 80's :wub: I just love Michael's voice there. Pure and happy!

Bad album for me. The range he shows on this album in terms of variety is staggering.
You have the never before heard screams and rock Mike with Dirty Diana, the raspy urgent vocal with Smooth Criminal, then you still have the youthful MJ in The Way You Make Me Feel, and the more reminiscent softer gentle seductive vocal Michael has, in Liberian Girl and in I Just Can't Stop Loving You
The way in which he uses his voice on this record is amazing, if you listen to Bad straight after Thriller you hear a completely new version of Michael.
His voice had no bad (pardon the pun) element in this era

Voted for Dangerous, with Bad and OTW tied for second place.

My favorite MJ voice is from 78 - 82. I just love those destiny/triumph/off the wall vocals.

This is a great question because his voice did seem to change drastically from album to album. I think vocally my favorite is probably on BAD. Thriller is very close though.

Invincible.
Thriller and Off The Wall honestly are my least favorite vocally. Just compare Thriller demos to Invincible demos..

I like his voice in Al capone, it changes a lot throughout the song.

I love all. I love this unique high larynx voice. Noone has had it nor has it now.

Back