MJAN Open Letter to the Jackson Family - UPDATE MJAN 2nd Open letter PG 19 (Not a MJJC letter)

Autumn II

Proud Member
M.J.A.N. is the "Michael Jackson Accountability Network," a team of people dedicated to promoting Michael Jackson's legacy, and to seeking justice for him and his children. Here is the latest entry, inspired by the MJJC letter to GLE, by current developments concerning the Jackson family, and in support of justice for Michael.
http://mjanwatch.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/an-open-letter-to-michael-jacksons-family

The Michael Jackson Accountability Network

September 3, 2011
An Open Letter to Michael Jackson’s Family

By mjanwatch

In the early days after Michael Jackson’s death, most fans gave his family the benefit of the doubt as to whether or not they would behave respectfully and honorably, and would protect Michael’s children from the premature celebrity that cost him his own childhood. Now, with a series of fiascos generated by the Jackson family, the affection many fans could have had for them is at an end. We would like for the Jacksons to know exactly why so many fans have serious concerns.

To the Jackson family:

You should plan no more tribute concerts without the full cooperation and support of Michael Jackson’s Estate. However, it is unlikely that they will give you that cooperation and support – and particularly after the ill-conceived and badly timed proposed concert in Wales. Any sort of tribute concert should be left to the Estate to plan and execute – not you. It’s been stated that no less than thirteen Jacksons will either perform or attend the tribute concert. Since this has been advertised as a charity concert, you would be well-advised to give whatever you might earn for performing/attending, to the Estate to donate to charities that Michael supported.

You do not own the right to Michael’s name, image, nor likeness. The Estate does, and the executors are growing the Estate for Michael’s children – not for you. According to the Estate as it’s being managed, you are actually not allowed to use Michael’s name, image, nor likeness for any marketing schemes. You may remember Michael fondly as the brother, son, uncle, and cousin that he was, but please do so quietly, amongst yourselves.

There is no need for you to give tribute concerts for charities in Michael’s name, at all. Michael provided for charities generously, in his will.

There is no need for you to set up a trust fund for Michael’s children. The Estate IS their trust fund, and they will be some of the wealthiest people in the United States, without your help.

There is no need for you to attempt to preserve Michael’s legacy. He achieved his globally recognized legacy without you. In a professional sense, preserving his legacy is what the Estate is for, and they are doing just that. The best way you can protect the legacy of this great man, is to behave properly and respectfully, and to pursue your own lives and careers.

You seem not to comprehend the terms of Michael’s will, and your place in it – which is nowhere. Michael’s mother, Katherine, will continue to receive a generous stipend, but the Estate is not her money. It belongs to Michael’s children.

Michael Jackson’s fans are not your fans. If they had wanted to be fans of other Jackson family members, they would have done so when Michael was still alive. The fans are not an already-planted crop to be harvested by you, as an income for you, and their fandom does not transfer to the family automatically — if at all.

You continue to squabble amongst yourselves, but in a very public way. Please work out your differences in private, and refrain from tweeting your arguments for all to see. Your quarreling is undignified, and should be resolved within the privacy of the family.

You are not actually a dynasty, nor are you royalty with a kingdom. There is only one living Michael Jackson sibling with a high-level career. That is Janet, and she earned it. The rest of you would be wise to pursue your own projects and careers. Modesty is a virtue, and describing yourselves as a dynasty has become an embarrassment.

Michael’s wishes for the parenting of his children should be respected. He lost his own childhood due to premature celebrity, and he tried very hard to protect his children from that same loss. They are not bait, for any money-making enterprises of yours. They need to be loved and supervised until they are of the ages to make their own choices about whether or not to have public lives. The Jackson family can best preserve Michael’s legacy by raising his children according to his choices when alive.

Last edited:
Re: MJAN Open Letter to the Jackson Family

Did MJAN actually send this letter to the Jackson family?

Did MJAN actually send this letter to the Jackson family?

It is an "open letter," for anyone to read. Published on the MJAN site, which is a team of people dedicated to justice for Michael, and his children.

Hmmmm.... I imagine many fans will think it's rude, but I believe it would be useful for the Jacksons to read the letter in order to understand why the fans are upset.

Very harsh. Where's the love and respect for the Jackson family, I see none. Nobody is perfect, I am not and they aren't either. I understand that fans are upset about many aspects of the Wales tribute concert, but to do it like this, I don't know....

Very brave thing to do, but it's very difficult to make such a letter without getting a bit rude, but that's how it is.

Harshly put, but I agree with them on all key points.

This is making me cry...harsh, but true...

Despite the things the family did to Michael over the years, I have still always been respectful to them in my words, actions and heart, reminding myself that they are after all, Michael's family, and that he truly loved them and would never want us to be hateful towards them, especially mother Katherine. However, a lot of things they've said and done in the past two years have left me speechless...sometimes I feel they have done more harm to his name than the media :(

The truth is, we are the only true family Michael ever had...and we will always have his back.

Miss you Micahel...

Yeah it's sad that it has to be like this, but I do agree that they have many great points of view, and it's time for some of the main people to wake up and do their best to keep Michaels legacy alive the best way possible!

I agree and I don't even care if its harsh. They've messed around enough. It should just be sent to them.

:cry::swoon:This "letter" yes it is very harsh, disrespectful and cold-hearted they would NEVER speak for me, they need to be accountable as well to their words too...Michael would never have approved or appreciated the tone with which this letter was directed at HIS Family however whole-heartedly misguided they are !! Although I know it satisfies many things ,many of the disgruntled fans would love to tell the Jackson Family to know and understand how they FEEL..Really to tell Michael's Family to mourn in privacy and how to act in public ?? What have we become, to say they made US act like this, really !! It is missing one very important point..it was not done in L.O.V.E and has nothing to do with what Michael would have wanted his loving fans to do period..I get it your NOT happy with the Jacksons, neither am I !! We have lost all decorum to think this is away to CHANGE them or CONTROL them any better then Michael could, by using hurtful words in letters ?? We all have our own opinions and we are all entitled to them..I however don't ever intend on doing nothing to any JACKSON family memeber that I couldn't do IN FRONT of Michael !! I plan on keeping Michael's wish to do it ALL out of L.O.V.E forever..Please forgive me if I was rude or harsh or hurtful...It was never nor will ever be my intention Michael taught me to well !! I won't go backwards for no one for no reason..,not even for an ego-centric Jackson..I Michael you all..Thanks for listening :bugeyed:cry:

Last edited:

Hmmm Yes it is harsh and although I agree with what they are saying I think some of their points needed to be said and some didn't. But sadly this is the frustration level many in Michael's fan base are feeling and it's sad to think that the family will never accept that it is the families very own actions that has lead many of us to this place.

wow... I agree with what many here have stated. The letter is a bit harsh...but all points raised are fair and valid.

Autumn....i think the letter could be of greater value (it is a great letter, no doubt about it), with a bit more diplomacy.

You can say the very same things, but in a more subtle & polite way. I think a little re-work is needed and that letter should be sent to all Jack$on$ on Twitter, excluding Donte, Aton & Paris. I am not sure about Austin Brown either...but DEFINITELY, ALL THE REST

I applaud MJAN for taking the lead on it..it needed to be said.

Let me know if you need help with anything...

Last edited:
I don't find this open letter to be harsh at all. It's the damn truth and points to all valid points. I applaud M.J.A.N. – W.A.T.C.H for this. I am sick and tired of the Jackson exploiting Michael and his children. It's been going on since Michael died. If they want to re-work the letter, it's up to them, but seeing how this family's behavior has been since June 25th 2009 in regards to Michael's memory and the way his children are being raised (um exploited)- I say they deserve a harsh letter. My main concern are for Michael's legacy and the wellbeing of his children. I don't give a damn about the rest of the family's feelings due to the fact they repeatly for the past 2 years have not given a damn about Michael's wishes OR feelings. THAT is what I find harsh. Maybe a harsh letter will shake them up a bit and realise what they are doing. Or maybe not.

I say leave the letter the way it is. If it hurts the family's feeling - boo hoo.

My 2 cents/

Funny as it has fans who are owners of everything that refers to Michael
MJAN is not the one to fight for justice
The letter is making the children cry too Michael
The legacy of MJ is much more than music

It should be noted that the letter represents the opinion of the MJAN team, by consensus. It does not represent any official stance of MJJC or any other fanclub.

For me, the last straw, personally, was seeing the video of the Jacksons at the Gary, Indiana, event, where Joseph was selling his perfume-line and Paris was enlisted to help market it. On camera. . . This is SO obviously something Michael tried hard to protect his children from. He KNEW the damage being celebrity children could cause, and he kept his children out of the public eye as much as humanly possible. Can you possibly IMAGINE Michael ever using one of his children to market one of HIS products or projects? That would be absolutely unthinkable!

The children ARE part of the Jackson family, and it is my opinion that they would have come FIRST, to Michael. First. Before mother, father, brothers, sisters, cousins, or anyone else. Michael was all about CHILDREN. I am a mother and that's the way it is when you have a child. The child comes FIRST.

The Jacksons have chosen to be VERY public with their money-making endeavors that use Michael's name/image/likeness, and enlist his children for marketing. That includes the continuing marketing of products, the attempt to bind the children to a contract, for LIFE, the trust-fund that was set up that they do NOT need -- as GLE has said, "to help Katherine." That also includes a tribute concert that is sketchy from the get-go, in everything from ticket pricing, to timing, to vagueness as to what, if anything, will be given to charity. And on, and on.

If one is in the public eye, one can expect public reactions. That is the nature of celebrity. I think almost all fans gave the Jacksons the benefit of the doubt, initially. It's been two YEARS, and seeing Paris holding up a bottle of Joe's perfume, on CAMERA, was for many, the very, last, straw. I don't think anyone has to GUESS what Michael's reaction would have been? Really?

Last edited:

The truth hurts. Great letter

The truth hurts. Great letter

Thanks, Elusive. Many fans have pointed out how much Michael loved his mother. There is no DOUBT that he did. But his children were his LIFE. By all accounts, he was a fantastic father, and he knew well the pain that his early celebrity caused him, and the losses he endured because of it. He made MANY public statements about that, and wrote song lyrics about it. There is no doubt whatsoever that he was trying to protect his children from that same fate.

It's been over two YEARS since Michael's death. I think nearly ALL of us were tremendously supportive of Michael's family, in their grieving and loss. But those two years have seen Michael's CHILDREN appearing on Oprah -- a woman who was openly accusatory of Michael. I doubt they had a choice about that appearance. There have been many, similar blunders, IMO. We have seen the children in a contract (Howard Mann) that although not legally binding -- TRIED to be legally binding and basically sentenced the children for LIFE to make public appearances to generate funds for Mann/Katherine.

This is the. . .what? THIRD? attempt at a "tribute concert." See MJJC letter for their official stance on the concert? Now we see a trust-fund has been set up for Michael's CHILDREN, with Katherine managing it. GLE has now said, OPENLY, that the trust fund is to "help KATHERINE." It should be more than obvious that the children do not NEED a trust-fund. In my opinion, they are again being used to generate income for the Jackson family. Is this not completely OBVIOUS?

Michael's will was CLEAR. His mother was to be provided for, for life. The amount she gets monthly from the Estate would support two average families, for a YEAR. But yet, it wasn't ENOUGH? Michael INTENTIONALLY left all other family members OUT of the will, except for his children. That should tell you, right there, where his priorities were. His priorities were with his CHILDREN. Not the extended Jackson family. The Estate is charged with generating income from Michael's name/image/likeness, and no one else can legally do that. That should be entirely obvious, and it's how the law reads.

No one has to agree with the letter, of course. But personally, my allegiance is with Michael's CHILDREN, first, last, and always. They were his LIFE.

Sometimes some fans treat the children of Michael and "mentally feeble" and manipulated, they have shown that when are smart and intelligent, Michael taught If they do something, it willingly and because
love the family of his father

Sometimes some fans treat the children of Michael and "mentally feeble" and manipulated, they have shown that when are smart and intelligent, Michael taught If they do something, it willingly and because

They are minors, and we have NO idea what they do "willingly." Nobody here knows. The POINT is, that Michael was extremely careful with his parenting, in keeping the children out of the public eye, and downplaying the privilege and celebrity that came along with being his children. That was his CLEAR manner of parenting. The children may or may not have known that Oprah thought Michael was GUILTY of child-molestation. I think Michael shielded them from a lot of that media garbage. And yet? There they WERE, on Oprah. I highly doubt that if they'd known the whole story, and had had a choice, that they would have appeared on that show. And why NOT? Precisely because they are intelligent young people!

The letter is harsh but I believe that it's the right way to make them understand their place! Our primary concern is the welfare of Michael's children and the right upbringing from Katherine!
Images like Paris advertising Joe's crappy perfume, Joe calling Blanket "the next Michael Jackson", children coming forth to promote unworthy tributes, products so that the Jacksons can earn money and stay in the spotlight aren't acceptable. Katherine should behave like a grandmother leaving the business involvements with crooks aside. She is following Joe's footsteps and it's not good. Lastly, the Jackson's should know that respect is not given but it's earned!

With respect @izilda I disagree. We don't know thats what Michael taught them, and personally I think some fans treat the children as adults, when they are not.

This letter is perfect and on point..EVERYTHING in this letter NEEDED to be said. Everything in this letter is the cold hard truth...and .unfortunately HAD to be said. If we stop and look at the crap that we have seen taken place in the last two years ALOT of the expense of Michael's children...just so the Jackson's can try and make a dollar...it is just plain disgusting.. The people that they have been exposed to are Not the kind of people that Michael himself would of EVER exposed his children to. We the fans have had to step in on MANY accounts on behalf of the children's well being and WHAT Michael would want for THEM. The Jackson's obviously dont seem to care about THAT they only care about were the next dollar is coming from and how can they make it...and it ALWAYS seems to be at the expense of the children. Sometimes you have tell something exactly the way it is for people to get the POINT...and all of the protesting that the fans have been doing for the past two years seems to fall on deaf ears of the Jacksons. I think M.J.A.N. – W.A.T.C.H is on point with this letter and I fully support it. Hopefully THIS will help the Jacksons see the error of their ways and they will start honoring Michael's wishes as they should of from the beginning. Hopefully it will help them to see that Michael was more than just a cash cow that they ran to when they needed money..and that they have been embarrassing THEMSELVES beyond no end just to make money off of his name.. Maybe now they will go out and make money off of their OWN names and STOP using Michael's name and his children for that purpose. Some call it harsh...I call it factual.

The operative word here is 'Children,' and Children are minors requiring proper love and guidance until they reach adulthood. Michael wanted that for his children; he wanted them to be taken well care of, and not used.

That is what we, the fans, want for his children as well. In saying that, we are not implying they are 'mentally feeble', but merely respecting Michael's wishes, and the fact that they are still minors.

Please don't think the children are always willing participants in the family's money making and attention seeking endeavors. Paris has stated that they did not appear on the Oprah show by choice - they were made to.

The necessity that the MJAN Team feels for this letter didn't happen overnight. It's been over TWO years, and the Jackson family has been consistent. And now? This tribute concert is utterly transparent, to generate funds for the family. During the TRIAL? That lack of understanding of priorities is stunning.

(Is there ANYONE here who thinks it was ok for Michael's children to be on Oprah? Really?)

This is quite a letter. In many ways it is a sad letter for it shows the unbelievable level of frustration in and disappointment with the 'family'. It is sad that circumstances have gotten to the point where a letter such as this is even contemplated much less written.
Yes, it is harsh and seems to lack 'l.o.v.e. and respect' for the 'family'. Some say that if you love Michael you should, by extension, love his family and perhaps accord them the same respect as Michael. This line of reasoning would have some merit if, over time, the 'family' had done the same thing toward the fans: showing respect for the fans, demonstrating some understanding of the feelings of those on 'the other side of the fence' (or cash register), of presenting to the public eye a united and supportive front concerning all things Michael. After all, this was not a one way street. The fans did not just give, give, give to Michael. He gave to us immeasurably and in countless ways. Ultimately, it cost him his life.

As time has passed since 25 June, the fans have been waiting and hoping for the 'family' eventually to show something of the feeling towards the fan base as Michael had. At the very least, to behave with dignity. But at every turn they demonstrate how little they seem to really know their son and brother. Of course, this is a presumptuous statement from a stranger but this is how it appears. Based on their actions, what other conclusion can possibly be drawn?

So this letter, straight forward and in your face as it is, hopefully will serve as a wake up call to the Jackson dynasty. Unfortunately, given their demonstrated and infinite capacity to be self-centered, I think they will be completely clueless, will probably wring their hands and say, oh those horrible fans, how can they do this to us. Or tweet 'A real fan wouldn't do this.' While all the time not seeming to realize that it is their own, very public, actions which have created this tsunami of ill feeling.

The one thing I do not like about this letter, is that it claims the Estate has MJ's best interest at heart, which they do not. I personally will never forgive them for releasing 'Michael' an album that contains songs which are not sung by Michael. They are actually ruining Michael's legacy. Tell me, what could be worse than releasing an 'MJ album' with an imposter singing on it? Michael was all about quality, not quantity which the Estate seems to be after. The more posthumous album they can release, the better they must think, even if it means putting fake songs on an album, but in time they will see that it will all backfire on them. Screw them I say and let them be exposed to the whole world for what they are.

They have ruined it for me, as far as me ever looking forward to a new posthumous release. The only thing they can do to recover from this fiasco is to apologize and admit they made a mistake by putting fake songs on a MJ album. But this will most likely never happen, because it will mean the end of their 'the executors' career.

Last edited:

The one thing I do not like about this letter, is that it claims the Estate has MJ's best interest at heart, which they do not. I personally will never forgive them for releasing 'Michael' an album that contains songs which are not sung by Michael. They are actually ruining Michael's legacy. Tell me, what could be worse than releasing an 'MJ album' with an imposter singing on it? Michael was all about quality, not quantity which the Estate seems to be after. The more posthumous album they can release, the better they must think, even if it means putting fake songs on album, but in time they will see that it will all backfire on them. Screw them I say and let them be exposed to the whole world for what they are.

They have ruined it for me, as far as me ever looking forward to a new posthumous release. The only thing they can do to recover from this fiasco is to apologize and admit they made a mistake by putting fake songs on a MJ album. But this will most likely never happen, because it will mean the end of their 'the executors' career.

you are fully entitled to your opinion about the letter...opinions are what makes us all individuals...but PLEASE this is NOT the thread to start with that "fake song" stuff. There are a number of threads that you can post that stuff in, Please dont ruin this one. Thank you,

So this letter, straight forward and in your face as it is, hopefully will serve as a wake up call to the Jackson dynasty. Unfortunately, given their demonstrated and infinite capacity to be self-centered, I think they will be completely clueless, will probably wring their hands and say, oh those horrible fans, how can they do this to us. Or tweet 'A real fan wouldn't do this.' While all the time not seeming to realize that it is their own, very public, actions which have created this tsunami of ill feeling.

Thank you. This situation didn't happen OVERNIGHT. In the past two YEARS, there have been a series of projects/promotions/events (including the alarming "Taser-incident") that have finally, FINALLY, resulted in a letter such as this.

The letter does not "name-call" or use unpleasant adjectives. It does not assault character, but BEHAVIORS. Has everyone actually READ that contract with Howard Mann? It attempts to bind Michael's children to a life of servitude, benefiting the FAMILY. Never ONCE, in his lifetime, did Michael USE his children -- to promote -- anything. Think about that?

I also think that in general, the Jacksons have little understanding of the fans and the intense love most feel for Michael. In that family, we care the MOST about his precious children. And he did, too. If anyone doubts that, read the will AGAIN. It's actually pretty unusual for a wealthy person to leave his entire family OUT of a will? (with the exception of Katherine, who is more than well provided-for.) THAT should tell us something about the trust Michael had in his family (or lack of?) If there is now an adversarial situation between some fans, and the family, that didn't originate with FANS. I think almost all were incredibly compassionate and supportive toward the family. Trust has been eroded, over TIME.

Debates about who is a "real fan" are not useful, actually (as I'm sure most people know). This is actually about LOVE. The intense love many felt for Michael (and still do) DOES, for most fans, transfer to his children -- those people whom he loved, the MOST. I don't think anyone can doubt that!!!!!!! Michael's leaving his family OUT of the will, speaks volumes.

Back